• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the song that plays when
you confront Maki's consciousness in the Sea of Souls.

It sounds like this song from Persona 4.

I think? No, maybe not.

EDIT: Also there's a part in the opening song that sounds like something from Persona 4. Some 25 seconds into the opening video.

Are you talking about this one?

That song really is beautiful, isn't it? I really like when the motif from Dream Of Butterfly (the opening song) starts, mostly because I really like Dream Of Butterfly. Now, if it wasn't that song, I don't know which one are you talking about :p

Speaking of which, I think I know what you're saying about some part of Dream Of Butterfly sounding like something from Persona 4. I felt the same way, and it may be due to both having a similar tempo and those high notes on the guitar, while the rhythm guitar also has a similar structure in both songs.

FluxWaveZ

The base is, yeah. It's the same thing he did with Catherine.

Oh, well then I think it's valid to say that since both methods of depicting the character are through different mediums, it's natural that they'd look different.

Well, like I said before, each game has it's own style. It makes sense that she'd look different between them. You can definitely tell that it's distinctly her in all the art, but the nuances are different. The same applies to when you compare it to P4's art.

Yeah, I agree with all of that.

Dantis

Oh, well then I think it's valid to say that since both methods of depicting the character are through different mediums, it's natural that they'd look different.

Well, like I said before, each game has it's own style. It makes sense that she'd look different between them. You can definitely tell that it's distinctly her in all the art, but the nuances are different. The same applies to when you compare it to P4's art.

dBhcBJr.png

Dantis

I think P4D's art is completely brilliant. Really want to see how everyone else looks in that style. I wish we could see them in their normal outfits in that style too.

Dantis

Yeah, Sho's pretty bad too.

None of Arena's new designs are stylish, but again, I'm pretty sure it's deliberate.

For whatever reason, I think Soejima wants all the games to have their own personality artistically. Which is fine, though my preference falls strongly with his more stylish stuff.

P4D art is incredible. Id be very happy if P5 looked similar to that or catherine.

I think it will do.

Their idol group is silly. Which means it accurately represents Japan's idol scene. >_>;

Oh snap.

Yeah, Sho's pretty bad too.

Sho is bad in a generic anime way.

P4D art is incredible. Id be very happy if P5 looked similar to that or catherine.

I imagine the shading for the P5 promo art will be similar to P4D (ie more painty and less animation cel, though I suspect it won't use theme colors in the shading the way P4D does), but I think the character promo art will have more standard... poses, I guess?

Lunar15

Her clothes* and overall aesthetic are Mudoon Ugly though.

*yes I am aware it is meant to be A Costume but it's still ugly? Like Soejima is better than that.

It's the Kanamin Kitchen. Like a fast food restaurant. It's supposed to have a fast food worker theme.

Wait, I'm not making this less dumb, am I?

Her clothes* and overall aesthetic are Mudoon Ugly though.

*yes I am aware it is meant to be A Costume but it's still ugly? Like Soejima is better than that.

Oh yes, I agree with that, I don't like that whole "Kanamin Kitchen" thing, but Sophia is right.

What's worse is that... uhh... how do I put it? Well... she's pretty well developed, considering she's Rise's underclassman. It's kind of disturbing for me

Sophia

It's true tho. Japan's idol scene can be weird at times. Morning Musume in particular creeped me out when they were popular. Plus, their music wasn't that great either.

Sho is bad in a generic anime way.

I actually like Sho. He looks like he'll burst out some crazy awesome facial expressions when he's on the verge of losing. Kind of reminds me of Persona 4's antagonist, in a way.

Plus, Malevolent Entity-possed Sho genuinely looks cool.

FluxWaveZ

Play-Asia pre-orders for P4U2 are officially up. Interestingly, they intentionally changed the region lock description from a "Japanese only region protected" description that was in the placeholder to "No Region Protection." They probably wouldn't actually know this early on, but it's something to take note of.

CorvoSol

Are you talking about this one?

That song really is beautiful, isn't it? I really like when the motif from Dream Of Butterfly (the opening song) starts, mostly because I really like Dream Of Butterfly. Now, if it wasn't that song, I don't know which one are you talking about :p

Speaking of which, I think I know what you're saying about some part of Dream Of Butterfly sounding like something from Persona 4. I felt the same way, and it may be due to both having a similar tempo and those high notes on the guitar, while the rhythm guitar also has a similar structure in both songs.

Haha yes! That's the song. Now if I could just figure out which P4 song it reminds me of. I swear that motif is used in Persona 4. Even if it isn't, Persona 1's OST is incredible. I mean JEEZ. If nothing else the Playstation 1 era was an incredible explosion in quality of JRPG soundtracks. Not that the SNES era was bad, mind you, but holy cow. That song gets me every time. And yes, I swear that part of Dream of Butterfly sounds exactly like when Shadows pop up. I think there's a song in P1 that even sounds the same.

Counterpoint:
that-one-new-character.png

Look. Atlus just REALLY, REALLY likes making Ronald McDonald girls, okay?

Oh yes, I agree with that, I don't like that whole "Kanamin Kitchen" thing, but Sophia is right.

What's worse is that... uhh... how do I put it? Well... she's pretty well developed, considering she's Rise's underclassman. It's kind of disturbing for me

Everyone isn't born equally, some people are more blessed than others.

Haha yes! That's the song. Now if I could just figure out which P4 song it reminds me of. I swear that motif is used in Persona 4. Even if it isn't, Persona 1's OST is incredible. I mean JEEZ. If nothing else the Playstation 1 era was an incredible explosion in quality of JRPG soundtracks. Not that the SNES era was bad, mind you, but holy cow. That song gets me every time. And yes, I swear that part of Dream of Butterfly sounds exactly like when Shadows pop up. I think there's a song in P1 that even sounds the same.

Look. Atlus just REALLY, REALLY likes making Ronald McDonald girls, okay?

Oh, I HAD that one selected, but I thought, no that cant be it, that plays like a billion times in the entire game, he must be talking about one that plays only when that thing happens. :(

oh and, the PS1 version has an almost entirely different ost, the PSP one is all new.

Sophia

Oh, I HAD that one selected, but I thought, no that cant be it, that plays like a billion times in the entire game, he must be talking about one that plays only when that thing happens. :(

oh and, the PS1 version has an almost entirely different ost, the PSP one is all new.

Both OSTs are pretty fantastic in different ways tho!

CorvoSol

Really? I was wondering who'd go all out for a PS1 game that was beginning a new series, haha. Then again, even in Square games the OSTs are always something I could count on to be good.

Well, the PSP version had new tracks and arrangements by Meguro, so maybe that's why you got that vibe from Persona 4.

Persona soundtracks are always awesome, specially when Meguro is the main composer (in P1 and P2 he wasn't the only one). Catherine soundtrack is also amazing, both the original compositions and the classical music remixes. Meguro is probably my favorite composer (next one is Akira Yamaoka), so you can tell how excited I am about P4DAN

Everyone isn't born equally, some people are more blessed than others.

Yeah, I agree. Life blessed me with a kind of short height :(

I can't wait to see Kanji's desing for P4DAN. That's gonna be interesting.

Rise's eyes look really off in this part of the trailer:
Okay, that looks kind of bad. She looks like a chameleon, her eyes operating independently from another. It's the pupil in her right eye that's throwing everything off, not sure why it's offset like that.

The PSP one is really good but doesn't fit the game at all, I knew something was weird with the soundtrack when I first played P1P. Listened to the original and was like "ooooohhhhh, this is much better".

I have a certain level of... "respect" isn't the word I'm looking for, but like, I find the transparency of idol culture to be kind of refreshing? Like everyone seems to be clear that idols are sort of artificially created/promoted and understand they'll only be popular for a few years and then disappear into obscurity. It's not all that different from Disney Channel Tween Stars*, but it's more upfront about it, you know?

But then it's Super Gross the way young women are put through the exploitative idol ringer like that, you know, and that kind of burns any sort positive feelings for the system's upfrontness re: what it is.

*Which, still pretty gross.

Soriku

Really? I was wondering who'd go all out for a PS1 game that was beginning a new series, haha. Then again, even in Square games the OSTs are always something I could count on to be good.

Are you asking why a composer would go all out for any new game series?

CorvoSol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom