• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you guys need to learn what happens to the dead in JRPG's...

I don't care if he comes back or not.

-----------------------

tumblr_n77zm3dLzW1s2s45bo1_400.png

Loving all the Persona material coming from this game.

Squire

Banned
So since it's looking like Ultimax will wrap up P3's story, what are your opinions on
reviving P3MC? Should (s)he be saved?
Would it take away from P3's ending?

Absolutely terrible idea that should not be done, takes away from P3's ending, completely spits in the face of the game's main theme and entirely negates The Answer and what it stood for. Also
rewards Elizabeth for refusing to accept someone's death and her inability to move on, a completely unhealthy behavior that should not be rewarded.

I don't remember who it was, maybe buddha, but someone told me last week they felt that
P3 was ultimately about both death and rebirth; that reviving Makoto would complete the cycle, the symbolism actually doing more justice to P3.

I'm not hard--up to see the character return, myself, but I do like that idea/way of thinking about it.

Absolutely terrible idea that should not be done, takes away from P3's ending, completely spits in the face of the game's main theme and entirely negates The Answer and what it stood for. Also
rewards Elizabeth for refusing to accept someone's death and her inability to move on, a completely unhealthy behavior that should not be rewarded.

I agree with all of this...

(P3+Answer SPOILERS)

...Especially since the Answer more or less dealt with the same themes of having to face the death of a loved one, accept it, and move on with one's life. The entire reason that SEES caused the Abyss of Time is because they were where Elizabeth "is" now concerning Makoto. Their acceptance of what he did and why he did it is what freed them all in the end and allowed Aigis to become whole again. I think it would be very strange for ATLUS to essentially have Elizabeth do the exact opposite and have it work out fine for her.

Unless... well, unless they do what I'm hoping they do if they have to bring Makoto back. And that's having it be a bad thing. Either because the Malevolent Entity gets a hold of him and Bad Things Happen (TM), or because Elizabeth's releasing him causes Erebus to make it to Nyx and Bad Things Happen (TM). That's pretty much the only way I'd be happy with Makoto being freed by Elizabeth. Ultimately, though, I think they should just leave the ending of P3/Answer alone and move on.

So since it's looking like Ultimax will wrap up P3's story, what are your opinions on

Setting his soul free so that he can finally rest in peace would be ok for me as long as it's well written and doesn't feel forced. But being revived? No. As much as I'd like him to be a playable character, I don't want him to be revived.
Whatever they do, I'll probably be ok with that as long as I feel like they were following their vision despite what fans may think.

kewlmyc

I don't remember who it was, maybe buddha, but someone told me last week they felt that
P3 was ultimately about both death and rebirth; that reviving Makoto would complete the cycle, the symbolism actually doing more justice to P3.

I'm not hard--up to see the character return, myself, but I do like that idea/way of thinking about it.

Here's a post I made about a similar comment a few weeks ago.

Eh
I'd be fine with Makoto coming back in Arena, whether as a non-canon dlc character, or making a full-blown return. Also the Jesus allegory part of Makoto's story is missing the whole resurrection part. I think if he comes back Atlus knows what they're doing.

i always considered him not showing up once he defeated Death then showing up when Tartarus was destroyed was his death and rebirth considering when Jesus was crucified, he actually went down to hell to save the souls of someone or get a key, I forget exactly. It's really similar to him going to fight death. Then him dying was his descent into heaven if we're making Jesus comparisons.

All those years of Sunday School are useful now!

To add on to that,
when Jesus returned, he only returned for only a short time then descended back into heaven. Would fall in line with Makoto "disappearing" during the final battle just to come back for 3 months then descend back to death. So yeah, I feel that the descend already happened.

I think they shouldn't do it, but if they do they better have a good well written reason for doing it.

kewlmc already went over it, but
the protagonist already came back in a messiah fashion--he died in the final battle, but returned to the earth for two months and then disappeared.

I agree with all of this...

(P3+Answer SPOILERS)

...Especially since the Answer more or less dealt with the same themes of having to face the death of a loved one, accept it, and move on with one's life. The entire reason that SEES caused the Abyss of Time is because they were where Elizabeth "is" now concerning Makoto. Their acceptance of what he did and why he did it is what freed them all in the end and allowed Aigis to become whole again. I think it would be very strange for ATLUS to essentially have Elizabeth do the exact opposite and have it work out fine for her.
This, absolutely.

If they do it that would be fan pandering of the absolute worst possible kind and if it was revealed that it happened after the Japanese release, I don't think I'd buy Ultimax at all. Fuck that shit. That kind of garbage shouldn't be rewarded.

the protagonist already came back in a messiah fashion--he died in the final battle, but returned to the earth for two months and then disappeared.

This, absolutely.

If they do it that would be fan pandering of the absolute worst possible kind and if it was revealed that it happened after the Japanese release, I don't think I'd buy Ultimax at all. Fuck that shit. That kind of garbage shouldn't be rewarded.

Even if they did something concerning Makoto in a less-than-ideal way, I'd probably still buy Ultimax. I'm just too much of a sucker for this series to not get every single game! XD

cbq

I really want
him to be back
, but I understand concerns most of you have :p And I kind of feel the same way.

And I don't think it would take away from P3 ending. Maybe for people who hasn't played it yet.
Oh, he died, but he will be resurected 2 years later so it's fine.

But maybe it's because it's been only a year for me
and I can't move on
:p

Mdesilva

I feel like with the developments in Arena the character will be added, but it does sorta
negate the ending of 3
, which is uncool. But because of Arena, it's kind of too late for that imo, so I want them to be added.

Levito

Banned
There is literally no reason to bring back Makoto other than lame Tidus "oh reunited with friends so cute" fanservice.

I haven't played Arena yet so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought
Elizabeth's goal is to free his soul, not necessarily to revive him
?

Oh my....

Indeed.

From Honest Video Game Box Art

I'm okay with this title.

Persona 4-2. Set nine months after Persona 4. Narukami got half of the Investigation Team pregnant. Wacky hijinks ensue.

aka P4D

NEED TO PREORDER NOWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the most swaggest pose i have EVER SEEN!!

I've seen this pose in the SMT universe before...I just can't remember who it was. Buddha would probably know.

Hey, as long as you don't want it to happen for other reasons. Spite I'm okay with.

I don't care at all for
Makoto and his story
so my intentions are purely to watch people suffer.

Tiu Neo

I haven't played Arena yet so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought
Elizabeth's goal is to free his soul, not necessarily to revive him
?

I think that may be the best way to do it.
Make a last emotional scene with him and his friends, and free his soul forever.

Willsmith1991

Neo Member
I really want
him to be back
, but I understand concerns most of you have :p And I kind of feel the same way.

And I don't think it would take away from P3 ending. Maybe for people who hasn't played it yet.
Oh, he died, but he will be resurected 2 years later so it's fine.

But maybe it's because it's been only a year for me
and I can't move on
:p
(P3 SPOILERS)
I agree.

I see a LOT of hatred towards Makoto being revived. I understand it may ruin the ending for some but i personally don't see anything wrong with him being revived for a little while during P4AU story but then his soul is finally set free. A reunion so to speak.

Summary : temp revival for P3 crew reaction/potential enemy for them= ok

perma revive i agree is a no-no

PK Gaming

This, absolutely.

I hope it gets to a point where the P3/P4 team has to fight Elizabeth to stop her from retroactively ruining P3's ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom