• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Well, navigators could already aid Shadow Labrys in P4A, where they would talk about it being awkward when the match started. If what the GAM video indicated is correct and navigators have more things to say during a match depending on who they're aiding, some interesting things could be possible. It's probably more likely that something like that will happen with
Adachi
as a navigator.

So the
Adachi
trailer was pretty darn hype. I was first looking to use the character as a potential sub, so seeing some gameplay was great. Not only did it confirm I want to do that, I might even consider using them more often than I anticipated. if dual maining characters is a thing, I might just end up doing that.

also dat stick. I remember there was hypothetical talks about TE2's for Ultimax and Xrd on twitter, but I didn't quite think something would have come out of it

With all due respect, I think it's a little disingenuous to predicate your argument on desirability. There are several practical things to consider when adding a character to arena. Moveset potential and feasibility are HUGE factors to consider. According to Wada, creating fighters with a unique sense of style was P4A's mission statement. Bringing the skills they used in Persona 3/4 to life and making that an integral part of their moveset was also an important. With that in mind, it's clear that Fuuka simply does not lend herself to being a playable fighter in Arena. Her moveset potential is practically nonexistent; I mean it's pretty telling when nobody can't think of serious moves for her normal attacks. It's a result of her character being too damn barren (especially when compared to the rest of the Persona cast.) On the Persona front, there's nothing she does that Rise doesn't.

With Rise, they could fall back on the fact that she's an idol (and the fact that her Persona can simply do more things than Fuuka's). Fuuka has next to nothing on the physical front, and is limited on the Persona front. Even if she got a completely redesigned Persona, it would be difficult to come up with a moveset for Fuuka herself (can you think of regular skills for Fuuka to use?). I'm not even hating on her character; her character just isn't conducive to a fighting game.

Incidentally, popularity didn't affect Ken's inclusion in Arena, because had an entire moveset to draw from (and Koromaru, to sweeten to deal). Fuuka simply can't be compared to him. I'm fairly certain that Fuuka was decently popular in Japan (if the Persona popularity poll is anything to go by)

EDIT: Wait, since when could Fuuka's Persona shield people? It learned a set number of scanning related skills, and outside oracle, it had the same skillset as Rise's Persona.
I'm not certain why a character needing a serious moveset is necessary. I think a jokey "can't fight" normal moveset would be perfectly fitting, and no more an embellishment that Teddie's moveset--I find the justification for his instant transformations that "he's a shadow" to be pretty weak, because transforming is not something Teddie does. At all.

Combining that with her ability to shield herself, some randomized abilities based on Oracle, and throw in a bit of scanning in there and I see a perfectly viable character. I do think, flat out, that Rise was made playable over her because she is more popular and has a game coming out based on her. I completely, fundamentally, disagree with your assertion that making a playable Fuuka is too hard. So I think I'll just drop it completely, because I don't see us ever coming to agreement on this.

FluxWaveZ

I find the justification for his instant transformations that
"he's a shadow"
to be pretty weak, because transforming is not something Teddie does. At all.

Um, are you sure about that?

And I'm with PK. For how seemingly ridiculous P4A can get, "joke" characters in design have not been included in the series in any way as of yet, and I do not think Fuuka would be a good way to introduce the concept. Rise is already flailing around for her normals because she doesn't know how to fight (properly): an element they actually incorporated into her combat style.

PK Gaming

I'm not certain why a character needing a serious moveset is necessary. I think a jokey "can't fight" normal moveset would be perfectly fitting, and no more an embellishment that Teddie's moveset--I find the justification for his instant transformations that
"he's a shadow"
to be pretty weak, because transforming is not something Teddie does. At all.

Oh come on. This isn't even remotely an apples-to-apples comparison. Hell, it's not apples-to-oranges either, it's apples-to-pizza. Teddie has a natural inclination towards an absurd moveset; we've seen him summon TVs out of nowhere. We've seen him create magical glasses. We've even seen power up and explode. His character is pretty malleable. Fuuka isn't. To put it bluntly... it's ridiculous to even compare the two characters.

Teddie's moveset isn't even a complete embellishment. His 5AAA normals are based on his attack command. His bearscrew attack is based on his critical hit animation. His 2D is based on the form he takes after exploding. His new super is based on Nihil Claw.

Combining that with her ability to shield herself, some randomized abilities based on Oracle, and throw in a bit of scanning in there and I see a perfectly viable character.

Out of curiosity, what would her normal attacks be? I can't really see her throwing a punch or a kick... Would her normal attacks consist of her swinging a laptop? Would her non-Persona skills involvement throwing poisonous food at enemies?

I do think, flat out, that Rise was made playable over her because she is more popular and has a game coming out based on her.

So you don't think her idol status and larger skillset were factors?

I completely, fundamentally, disagree with your assertion that making a playable Fuuka is too hard. So I think I'll just drop it completely, because I don't see us ever coming to agreement on this.

Fair enough. I just think her problems are twofold; She has very little to work with, so you'd have to make up a moveset from scratch, and a moveset of that nature doesn't sound very appealing. Unless you equipped her with a bazooka...

Um, are you sure about that?

And I'm with PK. For how seemingly ridiculous P4A can get, "joke" characters in design have not been included in the series in any way as of yet, and I do not think Fuuka would be a good way to introduce the concept. Rise is already flailing around for her normals because she doesn't know how to fight (properly): an element they actually incorporated into her combat style.

tumblr_n6yfg3z6Kv1s4eb3do1_400.gif

...that's pretty 'jokey' if you ask me.

FluxWaveZ

tumblr_n6yfg3z6Kv1s4eb3do1_400.gif

...that's pretty 'jokey' if you ask me.

I very much disagree. There's a difference between a "joke character", and a character that uses facetiousness or eccentric moves as offense or defense. Rise's aptitude is performance, an ability enhanced by her Persona and which she integrates into whatever scanning fields she uses as attacks. Just another form of moulding one's personality or preferred method of attack into how they fight, just like any other member of the cast. That move is certainly gimmicky though, yeah.

Oh come on. This isn't even remotely an apples-to-apples comparison. Hell, it's not apples-to-oranges either, it's apples-to-pizza. Teddie has a natural inclination towards the absurd moveset; we've seen him summon TVs out of nowhere. We've seen him create magical glasses. We've even seen power up and explode. His character is pretty malleable. Fuuka isn't. To put it bluntly... it's ridiculous to even compare the two characters.

Teddie's moveset isn't even a complete embellishment. His 5AAA normals are based on his attack command. His bearscrew attack is based on his critical hit animation. His 2D is based on the form he takes after exploding. His new super is based on Nihil Claw.
My point wasn't that they are directly comparable, but that much of Teddie's moveset is based more on what one thinks he could do, not necessarily what he actually does (for the most part, his referential moves could be counted on one hand). And I don't see that as an impossibility when applied as a concept to Fuuka. Harder, yes, but not impossible.

So you don't think her idol status and larger skillset were factors?
They were, but not as big as you make them out to be. I think her popularity and DAN were much, much bigger factors.

Out of curiosity, what would her normal attacks be? I can't really see her throwing a punch or a kick... Would her normal attacks consist of her swinging a laptop? Would her non-Persona skills involvement throwing poisonous food at enemies?
You know, I think I'll illustrate something sometime. Because I feel there is a point I can make here.

Thinking on it, had they not combined paired Koromaru with Ken, Fuuka and Koromaru would have made a pretty good combination. Ken more readily stands on his own, and it's not like him and Koromaru have much to do with each other other than being the leftover fighting SEES members.

EDIT:

I very much disagree. There's a difference between a "joke character", and a character that uses facetiousness or eccentric moves as offense or defense.
That's what I meant by "jokey," not full on Dan Hibiki mode. Melee Jigglypuff, not Melee Pichu.

I very much disagree. There's a difference between a "joke character", and a character that uses facetiousness or eccentric moves as offense or defense. Rise's aptitude is performance, an ability enhanced by her Persona and which she integrates into whatever scanning fields she uses as attacks. Just another form of moulding one's personality or preferred method of attack into how they fight, just like any other member of the cast. That move is certainly gimmicky though, yeah.

See now this I think is where our understanding of joke character differs, because someone who is facetious and eccentric is what I would call a 'joke' character, like an old lady fighting with a zimmerframe, or a chef using saucepans and spatulas..

I'm not cut deep into the fgc so maybe the term joke character has a different meaning.

FluxWaveZ

See now this I think is where our understanding of joke character differs, because someone who is facetious and eccentric is what I would call a 'joke' character, like an old lady fighting with a zimmerframe, or a chef using saucepans and spatulas..

I'm not cut deep into the fgc so maybe the term joke character has a different meaning.

It does. To use an example: Deadpool in UMvC3 is not a "joke character", but Phoenix Wright is. Platinum the Trinity in BlazBlue is not a "joke character", either.

Dantis

I don't think Fuuka being playable is any less implausible than Rise, personally.

I feel like these things are chosen more because "We think fans would like to play as Fuuka" than "We should put Fuuka in the game because canonically she could have a badass move set".

The one argument I have against Fuuka being into the game is that she doesn't have an adaptable characteristic that stands out as clear as say Rise and being an Idol.

I don't think Fuuka being playable is any less implausible than Rise, personally.

I feel like these things are chosen more because "We think fans would like to play as Fuuka" than "We should put Fuuka in the game because canonically she could have a badass move set".
I would only want Fuuka in if she cuts off that stupid braid.

You guys, quit quoting that Fuuka and Aki pic! I can't unsee the bottom half of Fuuka's dress as being transparent and it's making me feel weird so stahp

Anyways! Although I am interested in seeing how viable Fuuka could be as a fighter, I'm not exactly upending the tea table for her to be included. She's alright I guess. If she's in neato, if not, oh well.

kewlmyc

HEY GUYS, PHOENIX WRIGHT IS A LAWYER. HE CAN'T FIGHT. WHAT WOULD HE DO FOR NORMALS, SNEEZE EVERYWHERE?!?!

In all seriousness, just pull a Phoenix Wright with Fuuka and have her be an accidental fighter who kicks your ass by tripping and accidentally beating you up. I like characters like that.

I doubt we're getting another P4A anyway since they kinda ran of characters, but speculation is fun :).

You guys, quit quoting that Fuuka and Aki pic! I can't unsee the bottom half of Fuuka's dress as being transparent and it's making me feel weird so stahp

It is, but she's wearing pants you perv :p

Braid Fuuka is best Fuuka :|

I doubt we're getting another P4A anyway since they kinda ran of characters, but speculation is fun :).
I kind of expect them to come back (a few years after P5, of course) and do a Persona All-Stars type sequel. Maybe not much in terms of a canon story, but a celebration of all Persona characters. Yes, all. It's crazy enough to be possible, right? lol
This is silly and I'm not truly expecting this, it's just something that sprang to mind just now

It is, but she's wearing pants you perv :p
I dunno man, it just looks like creases to me. Either way, I can't unsee the lack of underclothing. >.<

kewlmyc

Braid Fuuka is best Fuuka :|

I kind of expect them to come back (a few years after P5, of course) and do a Persona All-Stars type sequel. Maybe not much in terms of a canon story, but a celebration of all Persona characters. Yes, all. It's crazy enough to be possible, right? lol
This is silly and I'm not truly expecting this, it's just something that sprang to mind just now

Yes, but that wouldn't be Persona 4 Arena now would it? ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Ugh, I'm late for everything.
Dat Adachi trailer! The New World Fool remix was great.

That was a NWF remix?

Lunar15

This is the correct answer. It most likely has nothing to do with lack of a hypothetical moveset, they probably could figure it out if they wanted to.

Regarding Shadow Yu: It always annoyed me that they went with "Sister Complex" for Yu. Doesn't fit, to me. I mean, heck, he ate Nanako's science project. I know he's a player character, and therefore pretty free of flaws, but they could have at least gone with the whole P4A "I can't live alone" shadow. Heck, they could make him act like he's better than everyone else, that'd be pretty funny.
Mainly because he is better than everyone else at everything in the game.

FluxWaveZ

This is the correct answer. It most likely has nothing to do with lack of a hypothetical moveset, they probably could figure it out if they wanted to.

What do you think the reason was for Atlus' blatant rejection of Nanako as a fighter despite the fact that she's one of the most popular Persona characters?

Regarding Shadow Yu: It always annoyed me that they went with "Sister Complex" for Yu. Doesn't fit, to me. I mean, heck, he ate Nanako's science project. I know he's a player character, and therefore pretty free of flaws, but they could have at least gone with the whole P4A "I can't live alone" shadow. Heck, they could make him act like he's better than everyone else, that'd be pretty funny.
Mainly because he is better than everyone else at everything in the game.

What? There is no Shadow Yu in P4A except for in Arcade mode, and he most certainly isn't depicted as having a sister complex there.

Lunar15

What do you think the reason was for Atlus' blatant rejection of Nanako as a fighter despite the fact that she's one of the most popular Persona characters?

The fact that she's a little girl and the idea that ArcSys proposed was to have Dojima fighting with Nanako as his Persona which is kind of absurd, as admitted by the Persona team themselves. ArcSys could have put her in, they could have found a way, but they didn't go with it. This actually proves my point.

What? There is no Shadow Yu in P4A except for in Arcade mode, and he most certainly isn't depicted as having a sister complex there.

I guess I don't mean shadow Yu, but his whole "extreme self" in P4A. Like how everyone started acting like their insulting "nickname".

FluxWaveZ

The fact that she's a little girl and the idea that ArcSys proposed was to have Dojima fighting with Nanako as his Persona which is kind of absurd, as admitted by the Persona team themselves. ArcSys could have put her in, they could have found a way, but they didn't go with it. This actually proves my point.

But... that was the point. They're not necessarily meant to represent their Shadows (that's why the Malevolent Entity is there); they're just meant to be crazy and over the top as a means to get them to fight each other.

Edit: ASW are at the top of the game when it comes to designing elaborate, appropriate and unique fighting styles for each of their characters. If Fuuka or Nanako were to be included, they would be no exception. That doesn't mean that the design of how they fight would mesh well with the overall design&#8212;in terms of aesthetic, narrative and gameplay&#8212;of the rest of the game.

Right. ArcSys could have put Nanako in the game, despite the fact that they'd have to come up with a ridiculous moveset. They even wanted to. It was the Persona team who shot it down for whatever reasons. I'm only arguing that Fuuka isn't being denied a spot due to a lack of an existing moveset. Nothing more than that.

Alright, I agree with that.

The fact that she's a little girl and the idea that ArcSys proposed was to have Dojima fighting with Nanako as his Persona which is kind of absurd, as admitted by the Persona team themselves.

No, they denied Nanako being her separate character as well. Quite decisively, too.

And if little girl is supposed to be a limiting factor, I think a lot about what people have said concerning Fuuka is as well.

Lunar15

But... that was the point. They're not necessarily meant to represent their Shadows (that's why the Malevolent Entity is there); they're just meant to be crazy and over the top as a means to get them to fight each other.

I know, I just think that was a weird one to give him. I would have given him something more about being superior or clingy or something.

No, they denied Nanako being her separate character as well. Quite decisively, too.

Right. ArcSys could have put Nanako in the game, despite the fact that they'd have to come up with a ridiculous moveset. They even wanted to. It was the Persona team who shot it down for whatever reasons. I'm only arguing that Fuuka isn't being denied a spot due to a lack of an existing moveset. Nothing more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom