• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soriku

Unless you like cliche anime stories, stay away from it, then. There are some great, fun moments with the characters, but the story is not too great. Maybe give it a chance to it if you find it for very cheap, it may grow on you.

As someone said, it feels like the fast food of JRPGs.

Tales stories aren't any more cliche than most JRPGs, and they're usually more enjoyable, partly due to the characters.

They're going to animate Marie's poems!

In all seriousness, I'm actually looking forward to it. I enjoyed the original animation despite what some people think of it, and I enjoyed the extra content they put into Golden, including Marie!

My only hope is that they dont recycle too many scenes from the original animation just with a new lick of paint.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
They're going to animate Marie's poems!

In all seriousness, I'm actually looking forward to it. I enjoyed the original animation despite what some people think of it, and I enjoyed the extra content they put into Golden, including Marie!

My only hope is that they dont recycle too many scenes from the original animation just with a new lick of paint.

I can't wait to see some back and forth between Marie and Rise.

Have they said how many episodes this will be? In a way I'm hoping for 20+ so they can fully flesh the story out, in another I'm not because I've kind of had enough of Persona 4 by now. Atlus, we get it, P4 is your baby.

I can't wait to see some back and forth between Marie and Rise.
Like I said, I like the scenes with her in. Her and Rise should be good, as should the Okina trip with Chie and Yukiko.

I expect a shot-for-shot remake with Marie awkwardly copy-pasted into them.
Not copy pasted, poorly MS Painted into them.

Just paste over the extra Chie.
I hope they make a joke of that scene somehow. Just have every character dressed like chie eating watermelon.

Just paste over the extra Chie.
Yeah, that scene in P4GA already got leaked:
X9MMTVM.jpg

I hope they make a joke of that scene somehow. Just have every character dressed like chie eating watermelon.

Squire

Banned
I have to disagree with the character part, Llyod and Yuri are great characters with plenty of depth. The combat can be clunky but that depends game-to-game as they change quite a bit between each installment. The later few have been great.

Person also has pretty 'dull' combat and the characters succumb to tropes aswell.

Both have their cons and pros, in my opinion neither is worse or better.

I feel like Persona breaks away from tropiness most of the time, personally (in Persona 4, at least). Either way, I'm playing Xillia and I think that it's fine, but I don't love it because it's very much a Tales game.

Wow, talk about late to the party. That's unfortunate for you though. Why did you import it? It's out everywhere now.

Stories do not "succumb" to tropes. They use them well or they don't. There's been a literal handful of original stories since the dawn of time. Every story is derivative. Every character is a trope. It's in how you use them that's relevant.

(Thank you Sophia and TV Tropes for teaching me that.)

Sallokin

Couldn't resist. There's an alt version of the Aigis figure but I haven't been able to find a store that has the tickets in stock to draw for it. Definitely not the best figures, but they go good with my collection.

Sophia

Have they said how many episodes this will be? In a way I'm hoping for 20+ so they can fully flesh the story out, in another I'm not because I've kind of had enough of Persona 4 by now. Atlus, we get it, P4 is your baby.

Two cours (that is 24-26 episodes) is pretty much all but guaranteed given the pacing of the original. It'd be insane to do a TV series with less.

Stories do not "succumb" to tropes. They use them well or they don't. There's been a literal handful of original stories since the dawn of time. Every story is derivative. Every character is a trope. It's in how you use them that's relevant.

(Thank you Sophia and TV Tropes for teaching me that.)

Just remember, there's no such thing as a story without a trope. Tropes are not cliches.

FluxWaveZ

Apologies if it was pointed out earlier, but it's pretty much confirmed that the newest P4AU character will be featured in tomorrow's PSC starting live at 7:00 AM EDT (8 PM JST) as that specific PSC episode (along with the character) is currently in the last hyperlink rectangle at the bottom of the official P4AU website.

I'm totally going to buy all of the DLC of PQ.

So if the Velvet Room people are indeed playable, that means that between P3 and P4 the only 'major' characters from each team that haven't been playable are Fuuka and Marie, huh.

todd360

I'm probably alone in this but I think if Rise is playable Fuuka really aught to have been as well. Doesn't seem fair otherwise.

Fuuka should have her own P3 dancing all night game as well. amirite guyz?

Edit: Not making fun of you or anything. That just popped into my head.

Her moveset potential is practically nonexistent
Considering Teddie's moveset is essentially made up and they had to up and give Rise a completely new Persona to fight with I don't know if I buy that at all.

I think building a character around defensively shielding themselves with their Persona could be pretty neat.

PK Gaming

Considering Teddie's moveset is essentially made up and they had to up and give Rise a completely new Persona to fight with I don't know if I buy that at all.

I think building a character around defensively shielding themselves with their Persona could be pretty neat.

Teddie's moveset is mostly made up, but it's plausible considering his status as a
Shadow
which lends itself to an unconventional moveset. A portion of his moveset is based on the things he could actually use in P4, so it's not like it was completely made up. As for Rise, they drew from her idol status for her normal attacks (and some of her supers) and the scanning concept for the rest of her moveset. Their personalities also contribute to their movesets as well.

Fuuka's not really comparable to Rise or Teddie. Unlike either those characters, Fuuka has... nothing, really. You'd have to do a lot of embellishing to make her fight (What would her normal attacks be? Would she hit enemies with a computer?). Ultimately, she's made wholly redundant by Rise. Maybe if her character had a little more substance, a P4U moveset would be more likely, but as it stands, giving Fuuka a P4U moveset is akin making gold out of lead.

EDIT:

Relevant

It would be hard but I really think you're overselling how difficult it would be. I think there's definitely something to the defensive character idea, and her normals could be full on joke mode "Oh my god I can't fight what am I doing" type of attacks. It's not impossible and certainly not some arcane alchemical enigma.

Hey guys, just to let you all know, if you haven't seen mine or Buddha's twitters, EMT0 is missing right now. His family contacted Buddha asking if he knew him or had seen him, and apparently has been gone for hours and doesn't have his phone on.

His name is Emundo Trivelli and he's located in the DC area. If anyone is in that area or has friends in that area that could offer any help at all, please do.

Thanks.

PK Gaming

It would be hard but I really think you're overselling how difficult it would be. I think there's definitely something to the defensive character idea, and her normals could be full on joke mode "Oh my god I can't fight what am I doing" type of attacks. It's not impossible and certainly not some arcane alchemical enigma.

Ehhh

I'm not sure I agree with that. How do you define defensive? It's a pretty general fighting game term. Unless you mean shields and what not, but then isn't that just going into full blown embellishment territory? And on a related note... is it really worth for going to such lengths to make Fuuka Yamagishi playbale? I get that she's a SEES member, but she really doesn't have much going for her outside of that.

Squire

Banned
Rise and Fuuka are on opposite ends of the spectrum in nearly every conceivable way. It's fine that the latter won't be playable and probably better for all of us.

Hey guys, just to let you all know, if you haven't seen mine or Buddha's twitters, EMT0 is missing right now. His family contacted Buddha asking if he knew him or had seen him, and apparently has been gone for hours and doesn't have his phone on.

His name is Emundo Trivelli and he's located in the DC area. If anyone is in that area or has friends in that area that could offer any help at all, please do.

Thanks.

I hope he's alright

Ehhh

I'm not sure I agree with that. How do you define defensive? It's a pretty general fighting game term. Unless you mean shields and what not, but then isn't that just going into full blown embellishment territory? And on a related note... is it really worth for going to such lengths to make Fuuka Yamagishi playbale? I get that she's a SEES member, but she really doesn't have much going for her outside of that.
I don't know if Fuuka protecting herself with her Persona is more of an embellishment than completely redesigning Himiko, considering that shielding people is a thing that Fuuka's Persona is established to actually do.

By defensive I meant like a parry type character, like Exdeath in Dissidia or something.

And it's fine if you don't actually like Fuuka enough to be playable, she's almost certainly one of the least popular party members of P3 + 4, but beyond that I don't see any reason why she shouldn't beyond personal distaste or apathy, and those reasons certainly didn't stop Ken Amada from being playable with a complete redesign. It's not a question of impossibility, it's a question of desirability. Second thing is perfectly reasonable (though I still think it's wrong to leave her out) but the first I reject completely.

And I don't even like Fuuka, what am I doing.

Squire

Banned
Ugh. The only thing Dissidia should inspire is misery.

Ken always made sense because of his pole-arm weapon type. They didn't need to go all out and Koromaru (but it's fuckin' sweet that they did, woo mama).

kewlmyc

Considering people were saying it would be impossible to make Rise a fighter, and now she's in, I think it's kinda short sighted to say that it's impossible for Fuuka to be made into a fighter. I think ASW are creative enough to pull something off. Plus, ASW originally wanted to make Dojima/Nanako a fighter. Think about how the hell that would work at all, yet ASW still wanted to do it.

But yeah, her popularity compared to Rise is the main barrier of entry. She's one of my favorite SEES characters, but I feel I'm one of the few Fuuka fans out there. That and they don't really have a reason to do it. We have enough P3 characters, in a game titled Persona 4 Arena, as it is. Can't have the P3 cast outnumber the P4 cast (one of the reasons why I think Rise became playable).

But yeah, her popularity compared to Rise is the main barrier of entry. She's one of my favorite SEES characters, but I feel I'm one of the few Fuuka fans out there. That and they don't really have a reason to do it. We have enough P3 characters, in a game titled Persona 4 Arena, as it is. Can't have the P3 cast outnumber the P4 cast (one of the reasons why I think Rise became playable).

Rise's only playable because she's a walking advertisement for P4D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom