• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear to god guys I will burn this place to the ground if this conversation continues in the way that it does. I mean, how are Grimer and Magnemite any more or less creative than Garbodor and Klefki? Every generation has its ups and downs, and none are inherently better than others.

*crosses arms and sighs*

And with that said, welcome, biodude! I actually met cosplayed as Junpei for FanExpo last year and got my hat signed by Vic Mignogna (who was super hyped about my costume), so it's awesome to see another Junpei enthusiast in here! That Evoker is some really impressive work.

By the way, Kanji should definitely have a Scrafty, Dantis ;D

Style

Banned
This was the worst in XY. Aegislash has a cool moveset but it's still just a fucking sword.

Objection!

i7MdjCf9hJgQy.gif

Aegislash is an awesome pokemon!

I swear to god guys I will burn this place to the ground if this conversation continues in the way that it does. I mean, how are Grimer and Magnemite any more or less creative than Garbodor and Klefki? Every generation has its ups and downs, and none are inherently better than others.

*crosses arms and sighs*

And with that said, welcome, biodude! I actually met cosplayed as Junpei for FanExpo last year and got my hat signed by Vic Mignogna (who was super hyped about my costume), so it's awesome to see another Junpei enthusiast in here! That Evoker is some really impressive work.

By the way, Kanji should definitely have a Scrafty, Dantis ;D

Magnemite (Magneton actually) is my second favorite pokemon, unlike your dumb pokemon who cant wear pants that fit...pistols at dawn.

It has cools moves for sure.

But it is a fucking animal shaped like a sword. That is dumb and not the right kind of dumb.

Aegislash, if I'm correct (I'm probably not, so someone like Scrafty can correct me if I'm wrong) is a ghost in a sword/shield, and I know for a fact that Klefki is a fairy that's possessed a keyring and is based on an actual myth/legend.

Squire

Banned
If we start getting into genwunner nostalgia wars and shit then I'm gonna declare a quarantine for this thread effective immediately.

I don't really care, but I do think gen one was better in regards to the current discussion, all respect to DNAbro's post.

Keys and garbage, guys. Keys. And. Garbage.

Acid08

Banned
I don't really care, but I do think gen one was better in regards to the current discussion, all respect to DNAbro's post.

Keys and garbage, guys. Keys. And. Garbage.
There are lots of cool modern Pokemon. But the bad ones now are just hilariously bad.

Style

Banned
It has cools moves for sure.

But it is a fucking animal shaped like a sword. That is dumb and not the right kind of dumb.
ibeysOFOPuflID.gif

Wrong! Your assumption that it is an animal is wrong too. First I would like to point you towards Smedwick's explanation:
Aegislash, if I'm correct (I'm probably not, so someone like Scrafty can correct me if I'm wrong) is a ghost in a sword/shield, and I know for a fact that Klefki is a fairy that's possessed a keyring and is based on an actual myth/legend.
Furthermore I would like to add the description from Bulbapedia's page on Aegislash:
Aegislash appears to be based on a possessed sword and shield. Its disposition to sense an owner's potential as leaders and kings, seems to draw inspiration from the ideas of mythical swords of European legend, chiefly Excalibur.
This explanation is furthermore supported by Aegislash being a ghost type pokemon.
An animal shaped like a sword might be dumb, but a ghost possessing a sword is not!

Sophia

I captured and raised an Aegislash on my copy of Pokemon X/Y.

No guesses as to what I named it. Or why I specifically went out of the way to find a female one.

How did we get on the topic of Pokemon anyhow? I have enough problems accidentally clicking into the Pokemon community threads! Gosh...

That. Is awesome. o_o

Acid08

Banned
ibeysOFOPuflID.gif

Wrong! Your assumption that it is an animal is wrong too. First I would like to point you towards Smedwick's explanation:

Furthermore I would like to add the description from Bulbapedia's page on Aegislash:

An animal shaped like a sword might be dumb, but a ghost possessing a sword is not!
The ghost of a person possessing an inanimate object which is then enslaved by humans to do battle is DUMB.

PK Gaming

Pokemon x Persona? YO, I AM ALL ABOUT THAT

Yu & Manectric
Reasoning: Matching up Yu with an electric-type was actually pretty tricky; there were no shortage of conventionally cool electric-types (Raikou, Zapdos, etc) but I felt that they all were missing that "special something." Something that would set them up apart from rest of the pack. Manectric works here for 2 reasons. It's one of the only Electric-type Pokemon that can Mega evolve (similar to how Yu is one of the rare few wild card users) and it's ability to Mega evolve is reminiscent to how
Izanagi evolves into a Izanagi-no-Okami. They even follow the same design cue of making the evolved form look even more ridiculous/over the top than the previous form.
Zap!

Yosuke & Tornadus
Reasoning: This seemed like a no brainer for me. The amount of "wind" Pokemon are practically nonexistent (since flying types are generally bird-brains), so Tornadus was like the defacto wind user.

Chie & Hitmonlee
Reasoning: lol

Kanji & Electivire
Reasoning: Could there be a better combo? To start, Electivire is a big, hulkin, rough and tumble Electric-type that specializes in physical attacking. It's stat spread is actually fairly similar to Take-Mikazuchi (though it's frailer and faster) and it supposedly charges into battle, heedless of enemy attacks and goes wild. I could easily picture Kanji fighting alongside this thing.

Teddie & Beartic
Reasoning: Get it? Bear + Arctic? It's genius!

Anyway, those are my choices! I'm not knocking any other combos (like others have mentioned, Yosuke / Greninja is pretty slick and Kanji / Scrafty works almost as well). Sadly, I couldn't think of anything concrete for Yukiko, Rise or Naoto :(

arue

Hey everyone, sorry to intrude but I wanted to (finally) introduce myself here since my account was just activated. I hope I'm not being too out of line by doing so

I'm 18 years old and a big persona fan like the rest of you, and a machinist. I usually don't have a lot of time but do enjoy playing persona/ being a part of the persona hype.

I beat P3P, almost finished with both the answer and persona 4, and about a 1/4th of the journey. I also have a little progress in nocturne.

I've preordered P4 ultimax and persona q wild cards edition (bought a 3ds for it too).

Being a learning cnc machininst/ tool and die maker, and a big persona 3 fan- on some free time I decided to further my knowledge by making a 1:1 Evoker out of aluminum and other materials such as brass, nylon, and steel.

4662faa58a.jpg

Welcome! That evoker looks like the real thing and you Da Man with that cosplay!

I would give Yu Narukami a Mew. He's fond of cats. Mew can learn every move in pokemon, so it's a wild card, much like him.

Rise is kind of a no brainer:

Og06dGD.png

FluxWaveZ

Not to go off-topic, but I just noticed something in the recent P4AU character video that I didn't see anyone point out in the forums: at 1:00, the character is fighting Yu, but they don't have a Persona. It's also set at 1 round, so it's probably a story related thing.

Not to go off-topic, but I just noticed something in the recent P4AU character video that I didn't see anyone point out in the forums: at 1:00, the character is fighting Yu, but they don't have a Persona. It's also set at 1 round, so it's probably a story related thing.

Your observational skills are as sharp as ever Flux. I think you're right in thinking that its story related. Would be cool if we could control an alternative version of him without the persona, similar to Sho/Minazuki.

PK Gaming

I would give Yu Narukami a Mew. He's fond of cats. Mew can learn every move in pokemon, so it's a wild card, much like him.

Rise is kind of a no brainer:

Og06dGD.png

Technically, that distinction belongs to Smeargle. Mew can learn every single TM and tutor move, but it can't learn certain moves, like Sacred Fire or Aeroblast. That said, Smeargle is pretty darn limited despite learning everything, whereas Mew is quite possibly the most versatile Pokemon in the entire series, so you're still right.

I can't believe I forgot about Jigglypuff :lol

You know, it's getting harder and harder to wait for this game to be released :'(

Moonlight

Banned
Mew can learn every single TM and tutor move, but it can't learn certain moves, like Sacred Fire or Aeroblast.
To be fair, Yu can't learn spells like Burning Petals or Youthful Wind either.

Anyways, I'd stick Naoto with either an Espeon or like.. a Meowstic. I really see her as a cat person.

Hmm. In the battle against
Labrys
with no persona in P4A, the UI looked like this:

The persona cards are full in P4A, but P4AU's character has no cards. Maybe that's just because of the UI change? Or could it be a new type of challenge mode? A perk in Golden Arena mode? Maybe.

By the way,
shouldn't your post say "Not to go on topic"? :p

PK Gaming

To be fair, Yu can't learn spells like Burning Petals or Youthful Wind either.

Anyways, I'd stick Naoto with either an Espeon or like.. a Meowstic. I really see her as a cat person.

Yeah, that's why it works :D

I really love using Mew in battles, you can set it up to do anything. I feel the same way about using Yu in Persona 4: Arena. Just a well-rounded fighter that has the tools to deal with any situation.

So does Dantis.

tumblr_inline_mtygnaTxFB1qhaskl.jpg

Mdesilva

You sure they aren't just Persona broken? It's probably just the delay before the cards start to come back.

Lemstar

You sure they aren't just Persona broken? It's probably just the delay before the cards start to come back.
I've barely watched any footage (and I doubt I'd have noticed even if I had), but does the TV screen go empty during a persona break in the current build?

FluxWaveZ

The persona cards are full in P4A, but P4AU's character has no cards. Maybe that's just because of the UI change? Or could it be a new type of challenge mode? A perk in Golden Arena mode? Maybe.

I think it would just be a UI change, but...

You're right. In P4AU, when a character gets Persona broken, their screen goes dark. I forgot about that part.

Mdesilva

I've barely watched any footage (and I doubt I'd have noticed even if I had), but does the TV screen go empty during a persona break in the current build?
Yup, and Sho has a TV that's constantly empty (which is weird, since I'd have guessed he just wouldn't have one).
tumblr_mwws08vH4X1r9s07oo1_1280.jpg

FluxWaveZ

Yup, and Sho has a TV that's constantly empty (which is weird, since I'd have guessed he just wouldn't have one).

I guess that's a bit weird, but it was probably easier from a UI design standpoint to just leave it there instead of removing it, especially considering his doppelganger.

Edit: Though, that image seems to be missing his Burst icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom