• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

You're missing the point. He's saying that the new actress played Eri in the anime. If she was also Naoto in the game, she would have been Naoto in the anime too. She isn't, so we can assume that the new actress is indeed new.

Ah, but not necessarily? It's most likely in that case, but it's not a confirmation either.

Kssio_Aug

Gosh, Secret Laboratory is taking so much of my SP. Damn shadows on this dungeon! T-T

Edit: DAMNN HANDS!! I entered in a match against 5 of them, none was escaping and it took a long time to put one at its almost end of the health. Then all of them ran away!

Levito

Banned
I won't knock the new actress until I hear her, but man, the inconsistency will never sit right with me.

As Erin has said many times, the VO industry moves along quickly and you can be replaced in an instant. Knowing the commitment to getting the old VO's, I'm betting they've tried to get Natao's original English actress back. Who knows if Valerie is the old VO for Naoto though.

Squire

Banned
The Pursuing My True Self remix on the trailer sounds excellent, at least.

It does! Sounds like they got some bog names for it.

As Erin has said many times, the VO industry moves along quickly and you can be replaced in an instant. Knowing the commitment to getting the old VO's, I'm betting they've tried to get Natao's original English actress back. Who knows if Valerie is the old VO for Naoto though.

Valerie Arem? What a twist that would be.

I remember that a few people were trying to connect Valerie and Naoto on the Behind the Voice Actors forum a little while back, so it's nice to finally know for sure who it is!

Hey guys! We should have a PersonaGAF Community Mario Kart 8 game night! Anyone interested?

I would totally be down for this.

Whoa, what a surprise, I just got home and all of the sudden we know who voices Naoto! When Yu Namba was on UltraChen and said that "most of the cast returned", the first thing I thought was that they were replacing Naoto, but I don't actually think that Valerie is replacing someone. Wouldn't it be weird then to use old voice clips in the E3 trailer for Ultimax?

Squire

Banned
I remember that a few people were trying to connect Valerie and Naoto on the Behind the Voice Actors forum a little while back, so it's nice to finally know for sure who it is!

Whoa whoa whoa, it's confirmed? Is this in the new podcast or something? Not that I have a hard time believing it. Val works with her husband, so she'd be within arms reach.

Dantis

Whoa whoa whoa, it's confirmed? Is this in the new podcast or something? Not that I have a hard time believing it. Val works with her husband, so she'd be within arms reach.

It's confirmed that she's Naoto in Ultimax and PQ, at least. We don't know about past games yet.

Squire

Banned
It's confirmed that she's Naoto in Ultimax and PQ, at least. We don't know about past games yet.

I saw the last page.

I don't think you should worry. Inconsistent voice casting is a bummer, but Arem is a voice director; she knows what she's doing.

kewlmyc

99% sure she isn't the old VA. Naoto was replaced in the P4 anime because the original VA couldn't do it, and Valerie voiced a character in the anime. It would make zero sense for the anime to not use Valerie for Naoto if she was the original voice.

It would be, yes. And Yu Namba answered my question saying that all VO had been recorded for the game, so it's hard to think that that would be placeholder voice, too.
Who knows what the budget for Ultimax is, but I think it's a possibility they could have reused her old voice for her new moves instead of recording everything over again. Then just give her a new VA for story.

Marche90

Gosh, Secret Laboratory is taking so much of my SP. Damn shadows on this dungeon! T-T

Edit: DAMNN HANDS!! I entered in a match against 5 of them, none was escaping and it took a long time to put one at its almost end of the health. Then all of them ran away!

Should have used the Kaiwan with Victory Cry trick for that :p. A bit more seriously, something else you might find helpful is to advance the Fox S.Link, since the discounts are substancial. At least, that's how I'm rolling in my new playthrough.

Speaking of which, I hope that replaying Vanilla P4 for a third and possible fourth time (NG+) won't burn me out if I ever decide to buy a Playstation TV and P4G...

Kssio_Aug

Should have used the Kaiwan with Victory Cry trick for that :p. A bit more seriously, something else you might find helpful is to advance the Fox S.Link, since the discounts are substancial. At least, that's how I'm rolling in my new playthrough.

Speaking of which, I hope that replaying Vanilla P4 for a third and possible fourth time (NG+) won't burn me out if I ever decide to buy a Playstation TV and P4G...

Yeah, youre probably right. I dont give so much attention to the Fox S. Link, maybe its more important then I thought. I just never used it, but it would be nice to have more freedom to do so. I'll try to upgrade its S. Link from now on.

As completely unsubstantiated as this may be, I always assumed Nicole Karrer was Naoto's VA. This is based slightly on internet hearsay, but mainly Nicole's credited work as Female Morgan in Fire Emblem: Awakening (to me, she sounds almost exactly like Naoto except a tad more feminine).

Has anyone else heard about this, or her?

EDIT: Welp, Erin Fitz just retweeted this:
@sephirothowa: @ErinFitzgerald ...Implying the original game voice jumped ship. Guess Arem's taking over Naoto like you did Chie.
https://twitter.com/sephirothowa/status/481580569667850240

FluxWaveZ

Who knows what the budget for Ultimax is, but I think it's a possibility they could have reused her old voice for her new moves instead of recording everything over again. Then just give her a new VA for story.

Heavily doubt that (actually, the doubt isn't that heavy), considering what they did with P4G's voices. Not only would it be jarring, but I'm sure there could also be legal issues if that were done.

Edit: Actually, I could see that being done since Naoto would presumably re-use most of her in-battle dialogue, with the new stuff being attributed to Shadow Naoto and story scenes. It'd be kinda weird, though.

PK Gaming

Erin Fitzgerald just posted this on Twitter:

"SUPER excited 2 FINALLY announce VALERIE AREM as NAOTO for #P4AU #PQ Go Forth my kittens, tell the world!!!! #waifu #sexyvoice"

So I guess the mystery is finally solved? :D

Oh man, we've totally corrupted Erin

...Anyway, Valerie Arem is a voice director (you may know her from her on games like Virtues Last Reward and Persona 4) who happened to voice Eri Minami in the Persona 4 anime. She is most certainly not Naoto's old VA (they sound completely different)

Squire

Banned

I don't see them doing this in a million years. Atlus works within a budget, but what you suggest here would be cutting a corner. They're not the same thing and the latter would be very out of character.

Erin just retweeted someone asking about the old VA "jumping ship" and Valerie "replacing Naoto like you did chie".

That pretty much confirms that Valerie is an entirely new Va for Naoto.

PK Gaming

Let's positive thinking guys!

Valerie's experience as a voice director will (probably) make better suited to voicing Naoto. I think she'll do a better at conveying Romi Paku's Naoto than the mystery VA.

EDIT: You can hear her in the 14th episode of the Persona 4 anime.

kewlmyc

It sucks, but what can you do. I prefer the new Chie and always thought Naoto (spoiler, but so freaking obvious)
sounded way too feminine in the dub to be a convincing male.
So I might actually like the new Naoto voice. Can't wait to hear it.

Heavily doubt that (actually, the doubt isn't that heavy), considering what they did with P4G's voices. Not only would it be jarring, but I'm sure there could also be legal issues if that were done.
I don't see them doing this in a million years. Atlus works within a budget, but what you suggest here would be cutting a corner. They're not the same thing and the latter would be very out of character.
I mean, there is precedent with
Namatame
in P4G (He might as well have been a new actor, if he wasn't, his new lines were so obviously out of place). Hell, even Yosuke's new lines in P4G stood out, as he had a higher pitch to his voice. For most people, 99% of the play time in Ultimax will be outside of story mode, so it wouldn't really be that inconsistent.

Erin just retweeted someone asking about the old VA "jumping ship" and Valerie "replacing Naoto like you did chie".

That pretty much confirms that Valerie is an entirely new Va for Naoto.
I'm not seeing it, care to link?

Squire

Banned
Let's positive thinking guys!

Valerie's experience as a voice director will (probably) make better suited to voicing Naoto. I think she'll do a better at conveying Romi Paku's Naoto than the mystery VA.

EDIT: You can hear her in the 14th episode of the Persona 4 anime.

Arem should be more than familiar with the character and what Atlus wants at this point. I'm not worried for a second. I think she'll be the best Naoto in the end.

A bummer, it always feels weird when this happened. At least Chie and Teddie were able to replace the original completely, but they aren't gonna redo P4 a 3rd time so that you can have the new Naoto in the OG game.

Levito

Banned
Errbuddy should wait till you hear the performance(eg play the new games) before you start making claims about the quality of the VO one way or another.

Errbuddy should wait till you hear the performance(eg play the new games) before you start making claims about the quality of the VO one way or another.

I am sure her performance will be fine, but it is still weird when this happens, especially to characters you actually like a lot.

Whoa, what an odd coincidence. Look what just came in the mail:

6dZG0UN.jpg

I'm trying to collect all of these damn things.

Tamanon

Banned
I think it's funny the consternation here, considering I seem to recall people not liking the original voice actor, thinking it made the "twist" too obvious.

I think it's funny the consternation here, considering I seem to recall people not liking the original voice actor, thinking it made the "twist" too obvious.

I always liked it.
I think we tend to remember the more negative posts. Or rather, they tend to stick in our minds more often. At least, I know I do.

I am quite fond of Naoto's voice and [P4 spoilers]
love how much the "twist" hits, even if it may have been telegraphed beforehand. I remember questioning why they cast such a feminine voice for a stern boy detective -- I even mentioned this to a friend before playing Naoto's dungeon! I do wish Naoto could have been given more time with the group, as I feel like she wasn't given enough time (or as much as the others) to really attach herself to the group and grow. Ah well, such is life.

Either way, I look forward to hearing Ms. Arem's performance in the upcoming Persona games! Much love Nicole Karrer Mystery VA! <3

cj_iwakura

Started a replay of IS since P1PS1 is down. Fan translation version. Apart from 'Michelle', it's really solid. I love the classic UI and effects, too. PSP is not the same without the looping battle outro.

Kssio_Aug

Just kicked
Naoto Shadow
ass! 8)
Besides the dungeon being very costly SP wise, that boss was really easy to be honest, maybe the easier one I faced till now.

Tamanon

Banned
Speaking of Persona 4 Golden Animation, I wonder if Hulu is going to carry it since they had the first one. Or maybe Crunchyroll might nab it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom