• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
She and her husband are voice directors. They own PCB Productions, which Atlus uses to dub their games.

PCB is one of the major voice recording studios for Video Games, some of their credits include Saints Row 3 & 4, Persona 3, 4, & Arena, Sleeping Dogs, and the Call of Duty games.

Don't you think you're being a little overdramatic?
Yes. My hyperbolic statements are usually only half serious.

That said, I would never blame the localizers or voice agency in this case, as they absolutely do seem to be doing the best they can. I just feel, when it comes to a point like this, it's a sign that Atlus really needs to move on and leave it behind. P5 will obviously come and act as a new beginning but the Golden Anime shows they're not completely ready to leave it behind yet and I think it's high time they should be.

Squire

Banned
PCB is one of the major voice recording studios for Video Games, some of their credits include Saints Row 3 & 4, Persona 3, 4, & Arena, Sleeping Dogs, and the Call of Duty games.

Yep! They also do Saint's Row. In one of SR3's endings Keith Arem is referenced. I think they do most AAA games that don't do voice work in-house.

Yes. My hyperbolic statements are usually only half serious.

That said, I would never blame the localizers or voice agency in this case, as they absolutely do seem to be doing the best they can. I just feel, when it comes to a point like this, it's a sign that Atlus really needs to move on and leave it behind. P5 will obviously come and act as a new beginning but the Golden Anime shows they're not completely ready to leave it behind yet and I think it's high time they should be.

Do they? I don't see any of this harming the integrity of P3/4 and Hashino's team has moved on - they're doing P5.

P4D and Arena are basically outsourced, so that's just studios getting work, which is great. The characters are popular. I don't think it's that big an issue, really. It's lasting longer than what we would prefer (I guess), but when you have a property that does well, you usually try to hold on to it for the continued welfare of the business. I think it's unrealistic to ask or expect otherwise. In general I think the "milked" complaints are overdone and mostly just agitated by the fact P5 is taking so long.

Do they? I don't see any of this harming the integrity of P3/4 and Hashino's team has moved on - they're doing P5.

P4D and Arena are basically outsourced, so that's just studios getting work, which is great. The characters are popular. I don't think it's that big an issue, really. It's lasting longer than what we would prefer (I guess), but when you have a property that does well, you usually try to hold on to it for the continued welfare of the business. I think it's unrealistic to ask or expect otherwise. In general I think the "milked" complaints are overdone and mostly just agitated by the fact P5 is taking so long.
I'm not entirely sure it's there yet, but I would say there absolutely is a point where excessive milking can harm the perception of a brand. Persona's situation is obviously compounded by the P5 deal, but filling that void with almost as many spinoffs and adaptations as Final Fantasy VII has gotten, and in a shorter amount of time, seems like a wee bit much. It would be great for the fanboys, but I think if a new outsourced Persona 4 spinoff was announced tomorrow (or next year even) the general audience's reaction would be more akin to "...really?" than happiness.

Whether you consider the general audience's reactions to be justified or not is completely outside the point, but I think perception is absolutely something that should be considered.

EDIT: Though I think this is getting completely apart from my original feeling on the matter, which was my personal feeling on the matter. I didn't really mean any of it in terms of business savvy or anything like that. My feeling on the matter is something Chet says from time to time--let the dead rest. An artistic feeling, if you will. I won't use the term "integrity" as I think it's too strong a word but it does feel like excess baggage to me.

Squire

Banned
I'm not entirely sure it's there yet, but I would say there absolutely is a point where excessive milking can harm the perception of a brand. Persona's situation is obviously compounded by the P5 deal, but filling that void with almost as many spinoffs and adaptations as Final Fantasy VII has gotten, and in a shorter amount of time, seems like a wee bit much. It would be great for the fanboys, but I think if a new outsourced Persona 4 spinoff was announced tomorrow (or next year even) the general audience's reaction would be more akin to "...really?" than happiness.

Whether you consider the general audience's reactions to be justified or not is completely outside the point, but I think perception is absolutely something that should be considered.

EDIT: Though I think this is getting completely apart from my original feeling on the matter, which was my personal feeling on the matter. I didn't really mean any of it in terms of business savvy or anything like that. My feeling on the matter is something Chet says from time to time--let the dead rest. An artistic feeling, if you will. I won't use the term "integrity" as I think it's too strong a word but it does feel like excess baggage to me.

Fair enough. I get the artistic slant, too, I just try not to let that cloud reality from my sight. I see it as one of those "In a perfect world..." situations. And it's not a perfect world, unfortunately.

PK Gaming

So...

I hope Yuri Lowenthal brings his A-game, because I've been reading some of PQ translations, and there are situations where Makoto and Yosuke talk in the same scene. His tone is completely different from Yosuke's as well.

So, Naoto based podcast in honor of the new VA?

Also, is anyone else finding it odd that out of all of the replaced character voices, regardless of whether they left of their own accord or were replaced, that they didn't replace Makoto or Adachi in media after the original releases considering their VA already had a major role as another character?

Granted we don't know if Yuri Lowenthal will continue doing Makoto yet, but still.

Dantis

If I hadn't been told there was a different Teddie I never would've guessed

Yup. If Naoto is like that, then it'll be fine.

My concern is that they could easily make her sound too old, or give her too deep a voice. Naoto's voice is pretty soft post-October.

Just got my Soejma signed E3 print. <3

DAMN YOU!

Congrats!

Is it the one with the Teddie doodle? Or just the signature?

Setsu00

Yup. If Naoto is like that, then it'll be fine.

My concern is that they could easily make her sound too old, or give her too deep a voice. Naoto's voice is pretty soft post-October.

DAMN YOU!

Congrats!

Is it the one with the Teddie doodle? Or just the signature?

It's "just" the signature. I'm happy anyway :).

After the Naoto story yesterday, which character would you most hate to see recast?

I wouldn't like Rise to be recasted, I think Laura Bailey plays her perfectly.

arue

After the Naoto story yesterday, which character would you most hate to see recast?

I don't want Yosuke, Rise, Kanji (Troy Baker ver.), Junpei, and Akihiko to be replaced. They fit the characters so well and they don't butcher most of Japanese word or name pronunciations.

Lunar15

I don't want Yosuke, Rise, Kanji (Troy Baker ver.), Junpei, and Akihiko to be replaced. They fit the characters so well and they don't butcher most of Japanese word or name pronunciations.

Well, Troy was replaced in the second half of the anime, and honestly, I barely noticed. You can tell, but the performance was still pretty good.

Rise would probably be the toughest change. Yosuke might actually benefit from a different voice actor. I like Yuri Lowenthal, but I think he put a strange spin on Yosuke from how he is in the japanese version.

Zareka

I don't know what I'd do if Junpei got recast. I can't imagine him with any other voice.

Actually, Akihiko too.

Dantis

It would be a nightmare if they replaced Rise and Yukiko.

Agree on Rise, but Yukiko would be the person I'd most like to see replaced. I think her voice is just awful, personally.

Of the current actors, I think Yukari and Junpei are the ones I'd least like to be replaced. Probably Yosuke too.

Agree on Rise, but Yukiko would be the person I'd most like to see replaced. I think her voice is just awful, personally.

Of the current actors, I think Yukari and Junpei are the ones I'd least like to be replaced. Probably Yosuke too.

Let's add Karen strassman to that list aswell. World war 3 if they ever replaced her lol.

I always thought Amanda portrayed Yukiko perfectly. (shy introverted). I guess ive formed an attachment to her and yukiko, which would be broken if they ever changed the VA. Same applies to everyone else on the cast.

Personally, i hope they don't change anymore characters.

Sophia

Aigis will now be voiced by Bryce Papenbrook.

Well that's okay I'll just import the Japanese version of Persona Q because.....

.... fuck. ;_;

Let's add Karen strassman to that list aswell. World war 3 if they ever replaced her lol.

I always thought Amanda portrayed Yukiko perfectly. (shy introverted). I guess ive formed an attachment to her and yukiko, which would be broken if they ever changed the VA. Same applies to everyone else on the cast.

Personally, i hope they don't change anymore characters.

o_o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom