• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Naoto's VA did a great job, her performance fit the character really well imo.
Kinda bummed about this, regardless of the new VA's quality, it's just the fact that after hundreds of hours you get so used to a voice it becomes really hard to accept these changes.

Dantis

All I can hope is that new Naoto sounds like old Naoto. Anyone know what she sounded like in Bravely Default?

Also, every time I write 'New Naoto' I think of Alone In The Dark: The New Nightmare.

Mdesilva

All I can hope is that new Naoto sounds like old Naoto. Anyone know what she sounded like in Bravely Default?

Also, every time I write 'New Naoto' I think of Alone In The Dark: The New Nightmare.

Who did she play? I don't know if I've met her character yet.

Her twitter says Konoe, who is a boss character(?) I've not played the game myself so not 100%.

I do know however she is not credited for the character in the game's credits so I would have to assume that she does very little vocals.

Dantis

Konoe, apparently.

Her twitter says Konoe, who is a boss character(?) I've not played the game myself so not 100%.

I do know however she is not credited for the character in the game's credits so I would have to assume that she does very little vocals.

Ah. Does anyone know of anything where she has a more significant role?

PK Gaming

On the bright side, we now know the identity of all of the main Persona 4 voice actors.

And hey, we can actually invite Val to S.linkFM.

Someone in the main thread linked to this as an example of Arem's VA work. She sounds spot-on to me.

Yeah, she sounds pretty good. Im happy with this.

Aigis will now be voiced by Bryce Papenbrook.

Aigis needs to be voiced by Kiefer Sutherland

kiefer-sutherland-stager.jpg

Levito

Banned
Guys, again wait till you actually hear Val's Naoto before jumping to conclusions about the performance. You wouldn't judge Erin's voice work on Ed, Edd, and Eddie and say "man she'd be terrible for Chie."

Dantis

Guys, again wait till you actually hear Val's Naoto before jumping to conclusions about the performance. You wouldn't judge Erin's voice work on Ed, Edd, and Eddie and say "man she'd be terrible for Chie."

This is pretty much what we've all been saying.

Guess I'm accustomed to you being a Negative Nancy, and the "that voice would be terrible for Naoto" comments seem preemptively negative. :p

The voices in those clips would be terrible for Naoto.

Junpei, current Chie and Yukari.

Spoilers? Better safe than sorry
Adachi too, I think. I was playing Arena thinking they should have just recasted Yu Narukami instead. JYB is better as Adachi.

They changed his? I didn't know that.

Dantis

Guess I'm accustomed to you being a Negative Nancy, and the "that voice would be terrible for Naoto" comments seem preemptively negative. :p

Maybe if you cover your eyes so you don't see the latter half of the sentence.

EDIT: Wait, actually that would just be one eye. Otherwise you wouldn't see the sentence at all and you'd be saying "Chill guys, jeez!" based on nothing.

PK Gaming

The voices in those clips would be terrible for Naoto.

They changed his? I didn't know that.

They didn't, it's just that JYB was forced to voice both characters in the anime. The results were... less than pleasant for
Adachi, as JYB used a higher pitch to differentiate Adachi from Yu, and it ended up sounding awful.

Levito

Banned
It's kinda of amazing that in the seven years since P4, the internet detectives never figured out who the original Naoto is. Well they could have, but there's never been a confirmation. Maybe it was a lesser known actor or someone that doesn't do a lot of voiceover.

Maybe if you cover your eyes so you don't see the latter half of the sentence.

Oh kitty, enough with the claws!

Saw the latter half, as you said, it's irrelevant as it's a totally difference performance. So why bring it up? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's like saying Troy Baker would be terrible for Kanji based off his Two Face performance in Batman.

No one implied that. If you quoted the whole post it is clearly so.

So that voice would be terrible for Naoto, but that doesn't really mean anything, I guess, as we have no idea what kind of range she has.

They didn't, it's just that JYB was forced to voice both characters in the anime. The results were... less than pleasant for
Adachi, as JYB used a higher pitch to differentiate Adachi from Yu, and it ended up sounding awful.

They didn't. But I rather him have his entire range for one character than have to differentiate them.

I never watched the anime dub. Might just check it out.

Dantis

Very curious to see what Atlus does, actually. I hope they don't just have them both voiced by the same actor.

Oh kitty, enough with the claws!

Saw the latter half, as you said, it's irrelevant as it's a totally difference performance. So why bring it up? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's like saying Troy Baker would be terrible for Kanji based off his Two Face performance in Batman.

You're such a weird guy sometimes, man. I know you love to rile people up, but this is just sad.

You wouldn't judge Erin's voice work on Ed, Edd, and Eddie and say "man she'd be terrible for Chie."
I actually wish new Chie sounded more like Nazz.

Concerning JYB, I'm not a fan, at all. He's got next to no range and I'm just not big on his voice at all, which may be a part of the reason why I dislike the "Yu Narukami" character in Arena. He sounds like every generic hero JYB has played in the past.

That said, I actually liked him as Adachi, but really only because he was playing completely against type. I remember seeing and hearing Adachi for the first time in P4 and thinking... "Huh."

Levito

Banned
Not sure if it's PCB or Atlus's doing, but they seem fairly committed to bringing back the same VO's whenever they can. Pretty cool considering a lot of other companies will recast character's voice every time a new entry comes out. (eg Resident Evil rarely has the same VO return more than twice)

Speaking of Chie, Erin even said that they contacted Tracy(OG Chie) first but she wasn't able to reprise the role.

You're such a weird guy sometimes, man. I know you love to rile people up, but this is just sad.

Wasn't trying to rile anyone up, I just thought it was silly to keep harping on Val's voice not fitting based on a performance no one's heard. Apologies if I offended.

But I love you, just the way you are, Dantis-kun~

Well, Troy was replaced in the second half of the anime, and honestly, I barely noticed. You can tell, but the performance was still pretty good.

Rise would probably be the toughest change. Yosuke might actually benefit from a different voice actor. I like Yuri Lowenthal, but I think he put a strange spin on Yosuke from how he is in the japanese version.
American Yosuke aka Randall from Clerks?

Who did Naoto in season 2 of the animation? I thought she did a good enough job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom