• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
Consider this, then, nothing more than my unfortunate attempt at mockery. It's been that kind of night.

S'alright. We all have our moments.

Speaking of having moments: I don't have anything against K-On. Never seen it, never claimed to, never said anything good or bad about it. I can agree to not be a butt if people can agree to let that go and not be butthurt.

Fair enough?

Dantis

To be honest, it was the nail in the coffin to your "I hate anime" mantra.

You might not like the shows, but you sure do like the art and you've shown you're willing to indulge the tropes attached to it.

You're probably looking too deeply into it, to be honest.

If someone was to ask, I would say that I like anime, just stuff that's minimal on fanservice, tsunderes, and cute girls doing cute things. Stuff that's more "western" I guess.

Squire

Banned
You're probably looking too deeply into it, to be honest.

There's no depth for me to dive into. I'm not trying to put you on blast, just calling a spade a spade. Seems more like you're just not being honest with yourself.

But we've been down this road before. You'll have to settle your own self-loathing and I hope you do!

Guess Who

Banned
If you like Persona and you don't like any anime shows you probably just haven't watched the right ones.

Chillax and watch some Mushishi, no bath house scenes, no moemoe, just British acoustic folk rock and beautiful stories about nature and shit.

Squire

Banned
If you like Persona and you don't like any anime shows you probably just haven't watched the right ones.

Chillax and watch some Mushishi, no bath house scenes, no moemoe, just British acoustic folk rock and beautiful stories about nature and shit.

We've been down this road, too. Dead end.

Levito

Banned
Reminder of better times:

iXNZjgL.jpg

I adore anime, but that's probably because ive been fortunate enough to watch only the ones that appeal to me.

If you want to get into the genre, AVOID the animes with fan service, cute school girls, harem etc. Then again, if this is your taste then go for it.

However, i encourage non anime fans to start with Death note or Shiki. The reason why these are so great is because there's no other anime like them. If you find that you enjoy them, move on to Future Diary, Steins Gate, and if you're MAN enough............

CODE GEASS!!!! :D

In all seriousness though, Dantis and other non anime fans, give Death note a try, and tell me what you think. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I do like a good shounen aswell, but I think that will only appeal to those who were extremely fond of the genre in the 90's.

Either way, Dantis and others, get on Death note. All the anime that i have listed have an amazing storyline, characters, soundtrack, tension, mindgames, etc.

I thought of something else about P4 that kind of bugs me that wasn't in my impressions: It's pretty absurd that even though you're all supposed to be best friends, the protagonist is the only one that gets really close to them and helps solve their problems. It's pretty hilarious that even though Yukiko and Chie have been best friends for years, it wasn't until Yukiko knew me for like four months did she find the resolve to really be herself and make a definite decision on her future
and fall madly in love with me.
It's actually depressing in Kanji's case, as I'm pretty sure none of the other Investigation Team members have enough of maturity to actually help him with his problems (honestly they're all kind of asses toward him).

I think it's persona 3 the one that has that big problem and 4 the one that does that right.
What you are talking about more is a problem that the game has making you a really important protagonist trying to help everyone, but they really feel like real friends becuase of their multiple interactions even is af you say, they are too stupid to resolve their problems until you get there (in reality, that could be true, there lots of good friends that wouldn't know how to help each other becuase they are afraid of talking about the problem, and others that are really good at resolving this types of problems becuase they are charismatic even if they are new to those people, the main character in this case). Persona 3 in the contrary says all this people live in this house are friends, but they feel like total strangers the majority of the time, the problem you have with 4 (the thing about helping each other without you) doesn't feel as bad in 3 because they are really not friends in that game.

I will give you that they treat Kanji (yosuke is the worst in this) sometimes like shit, but I don't feel its done with a bad intention at anytime.

However, i encourage non anime fans to start with Death note or Shiki. The reason why these are so great is because there's no other anime like them. If you find that you enjoy them, move on to Future Diary, Steins Gate, and if you're MAN enough............

CODE GEASS!!!! :D

Pff. True men watch Gurren Lagann :B

CorvoSol

Biggest problem with P3 (prior to FeMC)'s social links is that you can't be bros with Akihiko.

There's something really conflicting and "soap operay" about FeMC's social link with Akihiko in that
if you finish it after Shinji's, which is fairly likely, you can totally be sleeping with your former boyfriend's best friend while he's dead/in a coma.

Guess Who

Banned
There's something really conflicting and "soap operay" about FeMC's social link with Akihiko in that
if you finish it after Shinji's, which is fairly likely, you can totally be sleeping with your former boyfriend's best friend while he's dead/in a coma.

What he doesn't know can't hurt him.

I like some anime, and I don't like others. Anime is japanese animation that contains different types of artstyles and tropes. It's the same with western animation, I like some and don't like others.
It's true that anime has a lot of typical tropes some people would not like, and the same is for me, I like some of its tropes and I don't like others. I feel that hating all anime is a huge over exageration.
I even sometimes like fanservice if Im in the mood, or at least I don't mind as much as other people.
Persona is an anime game through and through, it uses it's typical tropes, it uses one of it's visual styles, etc... The thing is, I feel they use them the majority of time in a good way (inverting expectations of a typical trope, or just make them really fun that you don't mind having watch that same trope in other things before for example), that's why I think that some people in this thread that say that they don't like the majority of anime, like these games, it's nothing to be surprised about.

Hahaha, yeah, it feels that way when you say it like that.

Setsu00

I haven't finished Akihiko's S.Link, but I always thought that
Shinjiro's death/ coma
is a requirement to proceed the link past a certain point?

What if the "latest information on the series" is P5 related? May is the fifth month of the year, and Friday is the fifth day of the week. They did say specifically that they will show the latest information on the series, so who knows.

Now, about the project... That could be anything. It could be a P3 remake for all we know, or just something else entirely. I don't know. I'm just speculating here.

I think it might be P5 info, since P5 was revealed with the "55:555" countdown, and the teaser showed five chairs, five chains, etc.

Setsu00

If it is another P3 re-release, I hope it'll be for the Vita. 3DS would be okay too, but that basically kills any chance that I get to play it in the near future.

Why would they do a P3 "remake" for vita when they already did the golden treatment to P3P on the PSP (yeah I know, it's more like a visual novel, but they added a huge amount of things to the rerealease, I think it was meant to be the golden type of game p4 got). And you can already play portable on the vita, it seems pretty far fetched to think it would be something like that.

I hope is P5 news hopefully, but it's probably some kind of event like a concert or something similar like that.

A golden version of P3 would be awesome. I say throw it on psn and the vita. I love my 3DS, but im dead against upcoming games being released on it due to the stupid region lock.

Im probably in the minority here, but i think they should leave P5 alone until they release Q

Meia

Why would they do a P3 "remake" for vita when they already did the golden treatment to P3P on the PSP (yeah I know, it's more like a visual novel, but they added a huge amount of things to the rerealease, I think it was meant to be the golden type of game p4 got). And you can already play portable on the vita, it seems pretty far fetched to think it would be something like that.

I hope is P5 news hopefully, but it's probably some kind of event like a concert or something similar like that.

Because when people ask "What version of Persona 4 should I play" the answer is Golden if you have a Vita, since it's the best version of it. If you have no access to one, only then is 4 PS2 the correct answer.

You can't answer "What version of Persona 3 should I play" without giving a paragraph of an answer detailing the positives and negatives of both versions.

LX_Theo

Banned
If it is another P3 re-release, I hope it'll be for the Vita. 3DS would be okay too, but that basically kills any chance that I get to play it in the near future.

Think about a 3DS version is that I don't see it get all that better of a treatment than P3P got, bar some content additions.

I think it's persona 3 the one that has that big problem and 4 the one that does that right.Persona 3 in the contrary says all this people live in this house are friends, but they feel like total strangers the majority of the time, the problem you have with 4 (the thing about helping each other without you) doesn't feel as bad in 3 because they are really not friends in that game.

Eh, I'll have to disagree on this one. The protagonist not being directly involved in some of their histories/interactions makes them feel like an actual group of people. The IT in 4 are a more pleasant group to be around, but they all just function as an extension of your supposed awesomeness. Being constantly reminded that you can do no wrong even though you barely say anything. Rise and Yosuke are the most guilty of this.

Logash

Eh, I'll have to disagree on this one. The protagonist not being directly involved in some of their histories/interactions makes them feel like an actual group of people. The IT in 4 are a more pleasant group to be around, but they all just function as an extension of your supposed awesomeness. Rise and Yosuke are the most guilty of this.

While I agree with you that the MC of Persona 4 is way too involved in the personal advancement of each character, I much prefer the way P4 does it because I did feel much closer to the group as a whole. While P3's group felt more like real people, they were way too distant for a game that is 50% about social interaction. Perhaps in Persona 5 we can get to know the entire group without having the MC be the "savoir" of each individual. Atlus is good at learning from their mistakes.

Well, Persona 4 is pretty anime.

Agreed, but i think it contains a lot of mature themes within its story and characters, which most of us can relate to. I think this is what separates it from the typical anime game.

Still think it's going to be anime related, but will watch regardless.

HAHAHA, OH WAIT, THE STREAM IS REGION LOCKED. NEVERMIND, THANK YOU ATLUS.

Not a good sign for us UK/Europeans. Atlus if you region lock a stream, will you be mean enough to region lock Ultimax? :p

It's Persona Kart.

Finally.

Hell yeah. I'd love to see this to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom