• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding those scenes in Golden
I never liked how the guys never got any redemption at all through the whole game. They always took it and never shouted or said anything about it. And poor Yosuke throughout the entire game I felt sorry for the guy.

EDIT: So what're everybody's favorite non-main Persona/demons? Mine tend to be the Angels in the series. Specifically I love Throne, Cherubim and Trumpeter.

The Moirae sisters, of course, thanks to the lead up to (and the actual) boss fight against them in Nocturne. Too bad they haven't really been that useful in P3 and P4. I love Rangda too, just because I can count on her to be immune to physical attacks.

I had friggen Atropos all the way to the end of Persona 3, because for some reason half of every fusion I could make then made her and I don't know if it's just me but there seemed to be a dearth of wind using high level Personas in that game.

PK Gaming

Hey now, the first hotspring scene was kind of a great.

It was a nice subversion on the whole "guys purposely spy on girls" trope, since they were in the right. The kicker is when Chie freaks out, and Rise calms her down by saying it's alright if they don't tell anyone. Hahahahaha.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The Moirae sisters, of course, thanks to the lead up to (and the actual) boss fight against them in Nocturne. Too bad they haven't really been that useful in P3 and P4. I love Rangda too, just because I can count on her to be immune to physical attacks.

But you can use them to fuse Norn, one of my favorites.

I also like Vivian's design.

CorvoSol

No anime is for heathens and I've played Persona so that should tell you the answer.

#TeamPurity

Do you suppose children in Japan also hate themselves for watching anime?

I had friggen Atropos all the way to the end of Persona 3, because for some reason half of every fusion I could make then made her and I don't know if it's just me but there seemed to be a dearth of wind using high level Personas in that game.

I agree with that last part whole heartedly. I remember using that fabulous horse demon for half the game because it had wind magic.

I really hope you're referencing. Basketball Diaries. I was *just* thinking to watch that tonight.

I'm not cool enough to be referencing that.

Moonlight

Banned
Hey now, the first hotspring scene was kind of a great.

It was a nice subversion on the whole "guys purposely spy on girls" trope, since they were in the right. The kicker is when Chie freaks out, and Rise calms her down by saying it's alright if they don't tell anyone. Hahahahaha.
I think my favourite 'hot spring moment' in the Persona series is probably FeMC's Kyoto thing. It was absolutely inspired to quite literally invert the entire scenario.

CorvoSol

I think my favourite 'hot spring moment' in the Persona series is probably FeMC's Kyoto thing. It was absolutely inspired to quite literally invert the entire scenario.

Rarely do I pick one part of P3 to be better than P4, but I'll give P3 the hotsprings thing. If only because of the hilarious way it all played out in my head. "Makoto-kun, did you see anyone naked?" "Oh yeah, man." "No way, who!?" "Aigis." bwahahaha.

That said, P4's hotspring scene had its moments, too. It sets up an important plot point, has the amazing
Hanako and Ms. Kashiwagi moment
and the wonderful "Your men need you to lead them! What do you do?" moment.

The Marie hotsprings scene was bad, though. One of the only moments in Golden I truly did not like. Not because Teddie, Kanji and Yosuke trying to sneak a peek was cliche, but because 1) any fanservice was sorta kinda nixed by the weeeeeeeeeird off model bodies and faces that that scene had going on and 2)
the completely random moment when Marie lobs a lightning bolt at you. I get that she's a weather Goddess and all but that was the one thing that felt off.

Other shit in Golden was great, though. I, for my part, loved the beach, band, and ski events.

Regarding those scenes in Golden
I never liked how the guys never got any redemption at all through the whole game. They always took it and never shouted or said anything about it. And poor Yosuke throughout the entire game I felt sorry for the guy.

This is probably the part that frustrates me the most about the "comedy" scenes in the game. If Naoto has one thing going for her it's that she's never a jerk about anything.

And the hot springs scene is anime garbage, I agree. I actually would have preferred it had they done it to spy on the girls. Instead they get fucked over for no reason and Rise just looks like a huge bitch. FES's at least had a nice twist on the situation that made it more amusing. This one was just... shit.

edit: Just completed Rise's S. Link. I think going the non-lovers route for the girls is actually a better choice. Much more satisfying knowing that you've become inseparable friends than some weird virtual relationship that isn't mentioned anywhere else in the game,

CorvoSol

NEWS FLASH YOU ARE PLAYING FUCKING PERSONA.

YOU DON'T GET TO COMPLAIN ABOUT ANIME.

YOU PLAY PERSONA.

Don't make me start posting fat, sweaty ATLUS fan comics in here to shame you all.

You play fucking Persona. God damn get the fuck over yourselves.

PK Gaming

edit: Just completed Rise's S. Link. I think going the non-lovers route for the girls is actually a better choice. Much more satisfying knowing that you've become inseparable friends than some weird virtual relationship that isn't mentioned anywhere else in the game,

I know! I'm so glad they changed it from Persona 3 where platonic relationships between girls simply did not exist, and you were forced to date each and every female S.link. Oh, and I appreciate the removal of the jealous mechanic, where your multiple girlfriends would get jealous if you even talked to another girl.

Nice, isn't it?

YOU PLAY PERSONA.

Don't make me start posting fat, sweaty ATLUS fan comics in here to shame you all.

Hot Springs Scenes are pretty much universally derivative trash.

Ha, ha, ha, the boys try to peak at the girls and maybe the girls grab each other's boobs (this really happens in baths all the time, promise!!!)! This is Wacky and Entertaining.

All of the one in the Persona series are genuinely bad (P2's is probably marginally less bad if only because it's quarantined off on the drama CD, P3's is made worse because of when it happens on the calender + the weird suggestion that
Mitsuru just freaking busted out her Persona on a civilian
, P4's is awful in it's udder predictability, right down to the never ending bath pans...)

I have more issue with the fact that it's just bad and makes the girls look like assholes. I didn't really find it funny, I just felt bad for the dudes and the girls never suffered any consequences for their actions. P4 does an excellent job of not invoking shitty anime tropes or cliches, so when it does it stands out.

I have more issue with the fact that it's just bad and makes the girls look like assholes. I didn't really find it funny, I just felt bad for the dudes and the girls never suffered any consequences for their actions. P4 does an excellent job of not invoking shitty anime tropes or cliches, so when it does it stands out.

Does it reeeeeeeaaaalllly?

Dantis

YOU PLAY PERSONA.

If this is sincere then this is actually the worst post.

Hot Springs Scenes are pretty much universally derivative trash.

Ha, ha, ha, the boys try to peak at the girls and maybe the girls grab each other's boobs (this really happens in baths all the time, promise!!!)! This is Wacky and Entertaining.

Yup.

CorvoSol

If this is sincere then this is actually the worst post.

It is sincere. It's hilariously hypocritical to treat anime as some anathema thing when you like Persona. Even before the shifts in artstyle this series was anime. Y'all can hide in the closet about how you feel about anime, I don't give a fuck, but don't think for a second you're fooling anyone with this shit.

Y'all're playing Stardust Crusaders whether you know it or not. You all spend time talking about it online. I hate to break it to you, but it's hard to name an aspect of Persona's premise that isn't anime. I don't know what kind of great shame you think you're escaping by claiming you don't like anime when you play Persona, but nobody's buying the poorly falsified cocaine you think you're selling.

Squire

Banned

YOU PLAY PERSONA.

tumblr_lkybqxCisN1qcy9i0.gif

It is sincere. It's hilariously hypocritical to treat anime as some anathema thing when you like Persona. Even before the shifts in artstyle this series was anime. Y'all can hide in the closet about how you feel about anime, I don't give a fuck, but don't think for a second you're fooling anyone with this shit.

Y'all're playing Stardust Crusaders whether you know it or not. You all spend time talking about it online. I hate to break it to you, but it's hard to name an aspect of Persona's premise that isn't anime. I don't know what kind of great shame you think you're escaping by claiming you don't like anime when you play Persona, but nobody's buying the poorly falsified cocaine you think you're selling.

You're talking to Dantis while referencing a group... You can see the issue with that.

Most of us like Anime and are more than open about it, so... *shrug*

Speaking of anime cliches:
JUAqCJu.jpg

It's certainly very... early 90s shoujo. But it feels more... Kodocha/Marmalade Boy than Sailor Moon.

Of note: Sailor Jupiter is being played by Yukiko's VA.

Dantis

This is hilarious.

You're talking to Dantis while referencing a group... You can see the issue with that.

Most of us like Anime and are more than open about it, so... *shrug*

Actually he was talking to Smedwicks, but that's neither here nor there. It's a hilariously bad post either way.

Dantis

No one is a bigger nerd and loser than I am.

To no one more than myself. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I was not talking to Smedwicks.

Then who was it directed at? Because I wasn't in the conversation, so it can't have been me.

I don't hate anime, just like 90% of it. The other 10% is pretty fucking awesome.

Manga is superior anyway.

Well, because this is the Internet, when you say "I hate anime", people interpret it to mean "I have seen all the anime, and I hate all the anime", when it's pretty obviously meant as a generalisation.

CorvoSol

Then who was it directed at? Because I wasn't in the conversation, so it can't have been me.

It was directed at everyone. In general. Which is why it is simultaneously directed at no one in specific. If you don't feel it applies to yourself, don't apply it.

Squire

Banned
I don't hate anime, just like 90% of it. The other 10% is pretty fucking awesome.

Manga is superior anyway.

I think you want to say 90% of anime is garbage and Persona is better than that 90%, than that's fair enough.

You're not condemning a whole medium that way and you're actually saying something with (some) meaning then.

Just criticizing. "anime" is too vague. The term is too broad. Because it's a medium, not a genre.

It was directed at everyone. In general. Which is why it is simultaneously directed at no one in specific. If you don't feel it applies to yourself, don't apply it.

Then this is silly, man. You've no reason to fire on all cylinders when most posters like anime and are quite open and honest about it.

"Anime" is sometimes used as shorthand for common tropes and cliches found almost exclusively in anime, manga and video games. For example, saying "this bath scene is anime garbage" is lamenting the appearance of a well-worn anime trope in the game. Sometimes people find different "anime" things more tolerable than others. For example, people who do not care for wacky bath scenes might still be ok with anime sweat bubbles appearing over a character's head.

Persona is anime as h*ck though.

In conclusion, PersonaGAF is a land of contrasts. Thank you for your time.

CorvoSol

Then this is silly, man. You've no reason to fire on all cylinders when most posters like anime and are quite open and honest about it.

Fair enough, but at the same time, you can only read "anime crap" as a derogatory shorthand so many times before you feel like saying something.

Squire

Banned
Fair enough, but at the same time, you can only read "anime crap" as a derogatory shorthand so many times before you feel like saying something.

I get that. Most of us don't like to see that anymore than you do and some of us openly mock it, trust me.

Dantis

I swear you must have that shit bookmarked.

"Anime" is sometimes used as shorthand for common tropes and cliches found almost exclusively in anime, manga and video games. For example, saying "this bath scene is anime garbage" is lamenting the appearance of a well-worn anime trope in the game. Sometimes people find different "anime" things more tolerable than others. For example, people who do not care for wacky bath scenes might still be ok with anime sweat bubbles appearing over a character's head.

Persona is anime as h*ck though.

In conclusion, PersonaGAF is a land of contrasts. Thank you for your time.

This is an unusually sensible post.

Levito

Banned
Man between this and all the K-ON passive aggressive crap the other day, I think PersonaGAF is going through puberty lately or something.

Stop being butts.

Squire

Banned
I swear you must have that shit bookmarked.

To be honest, it was the nail in the coffin to your "I hate anime" mantra.

You might not like the shows, but you sure do like the art and you've shown you're willing to indulge the tropes attached to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom