• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
..and no one ate dinner that night.

gxPNW56.png

"Dummy Portrait"

Is it me, or does that look like Kenji, which would make the file name apropos.

It is Kenji's silhouette. The same portrait (albeit larger) is in P3.

Hey I have a question. I'm trying to catch the sea guardian, and I have the right beetle bait, but I've made a lot of casts without any luck. Is it possible I did something wrong or do I need more patience?

I don't know if it's a requirement but I went fishing for the sea guardian on a rainy day.

CorvoSol

I really enjoy Kanji and Rise's friendship.

I actually did, too. She teased the hell out of him, but that's sort of Rise's thing, and its not like Kanji didn't dish back as much as he got.

EDIT: So what're everybody's favorite non-main Persona/demons? Mine tend to be the Angels in the series. Specifically I love Throne, Cherubim and Trumpeter.

Throne is sorta spooky looking, Trumpeter I just love because of its significance and because that thing is like, always great, and Cherubim's awesome smirk really does it for me.

I'm also a fan of Kresnik, Cu Chulainn and Parvati, as I found them terribly useful in P3P and SMT4.

edit: Alright, I'll spoil it all I guess.

Alright... I don't really like Naoto, or at least how she's used in the story. It's kind of ridiculous how the investigation team is apparently just worthless at figuring anything out, yet she seems to know like, everything. They were all talking about the case and Naoto went over how that Kitsuo (?) character only actually killed Morooka, and Chie or Yosuke was like "ohhhhhh, so that's actually what happened!" I just want to tell them all like no shit, that was obvious from the beginning. And having a character that's like a goddamn child prodigy super-genuis like her just feels a bit much in my opinion.

Also, I think her whole "I want to be a guy" issue is handled rather poorly. The most glaring one is how apparently a bunch of high schoolers are apparently totally okay with a classmate pretending to be a dude when she wasn't. And of course that's ignoring the other issues with how she managed to pull that off every day (gym class, going to the bathroom, stuff like that). But the biggest thing I don't understand is her shadow. Her shadow openly admits wishing that she was a dude. Even the dungeon itself is supposed to be a laboratory for the purpose of changing her gender. Considering the entire idea of shadows is that they're your hidden feelings, I'm assuming that means, yea, she wants to be a guy. Yet... apparently she doesn't actually want to be a guy? If one of you guys could explain this to me I would be very thankful, because right now it just doesn't make any sense.

At least right now I wish they just hadn't included the whole "pretending to be a dude" thing or had focused a lot more on it. As of now it just feels really half-assed and unnecessary.

LX_Theo

Banned
Alright... I don't really like Naoto, or at least how she's used in the story. It's kind of ridiculous how the investigation team is apparently just worthless at figuring anything out, yet she seems to know like, everything. They were all talking about the case and Naoto went over how
that Kitsuo (?) character only actually killed Morooka, and Chie or Yosuke was like "ohhhhhh, so that's actually what happened!"
I just want to tell them all like no shit, that was obvious from the beginning. And having a character that's like a goddamn child prodigy super-genuis like her just feels a bit much in my opinion.

Also, I think her whole "I want to be a guy" issue is handled rather poorly. The most glaring one is how apparently a bunch of high schoolers are apparently totally okay with a classmate pretending to be a dude when she wasn't. And of course that's ignoring the other issues with how she managed to pull that off every day (gym class, going to the bathroom, stuff like that). But the biggest thing I don't understand is her shadow. Her shadow
openly admits wishing that she was a dude. Even the dungeon itself is supposed to be a laboratory for the purpose of changing her gender. Considering the entire idea of shadows is that they're your hidden feelings, I'm assuming that means, yea, she wants to be a guy.
Yet... apparently she doesn't actually want to be a guy? If one of you guys could explain this to me I would be very thankful, because right now it just doesn't make any sense.

At least right now I wish they just hadn't included the whole "pretending to be a dude" thing or had focused a lot more on it. As of now it just feels really half-assed and unnecessary.

Shadows tend to represent a person's repressed feelings. This is how I interpret it, at least. In the same way Kanji's did,
Naoto's shadow was more along the lines of representing what Naoto thought she wanted but repressed. The idea that she wanted to be a completely different person because her ideal image and her reality conflicted too strongly for her to get over, that led to her thinking she wanted to change genders and whatnot. Just because those were repressed feelings, it doesn't mean they were correct or logically sound.
The healthier, more realistic fix to the issues that drove the internal conflict were never so drastic when you came down to it.

For myself, I never liked how Naoto
came across more like a replacement for your inner monologue in her role
, even if it was just to mix things up. The prodigy genius more felt like it was an addition of a professional touch to how the investigation was handled to me.

Trigger

Also, I think her whole "I want to be a guy" issue is handled rather poorly. The most glaring one is how apparently a bunch of high schoolers are apparently totally okay with a classmate pretending to be a dude when she wasn't.

IIRC,
after Naoto is outed as a woman a few people are caught gossiping about her in an unflattering way. So I'd hardly say that everyone was okay with her crossdressing. I'm not sure what more you're expecting on this issue.

And of course that's ignoring the other issues with how she managed to pull that off every day (gym class, going to the bathroom, stuff like that). But the biggest thing I don't understand is her shadow. Her shadow
openly admits wishing that she was a dude. Even the dungeon itself is supposed to be a laboratory for the purpose of changing her gender. Considering the entire idea of shadows is that they're your hidden feelings, I'm assuming that means, yea, she wants to be a guy.
Yet... apparently she doesn't actually want to be a guy? If one of you guys could explain this to me I would be very thankful, because right now it just doesn't make any sense.

Naoto wants to be a respected detective. Guess which gender is favored in that line of work? She does wish she were a man, but only as a means of gaining her peers' respect. When she faces her insecurities in the TV world she embraces the idea that she doesn't have to be older or a man to really be successful. In the epilogue she starts dressing more feminely. People in the past have been quick to inject LGBT themes into a storyline that's primarily about gender IMO.

Also, a lot people who are new to P4 wander into this thread for help. I'd think it might be best to put more spoiler tags on things.

Meia

EDIT: So what're everybody's favorite non-main Persona/demons? Mine tend to be the Angels in the series. Specifically I love Throne, Cherubim and Trumpeter.

Pixie eternally. Pixie is always the one demon/persona I want to hold onto the longest. If I ever had a persona avatar instead of one of the characters, it'd definitely be Pixie.

I was actually sad when the SMT4 chibi-Pixie one was grabbed when it happened, as I so would've gone with it.

arue

Throne is sorta spooky looking, Trumpeter I just love because of its significance and because that thing is like, always great, and Cherubim's awesome smirk really does it for me.

I'm also a fan of Kresnik, Cu Chulainn and Parvati, as I found them terribly useful in P3P and SMT4.

I love Jack Frost and Pyro Jack. Their "hee-ho" is hilarious.

I also like personas/demons with cool design or spells such as Loki (new design), Thanatos, Alice, Cu Chulainn, and Yoshitsune.

I actually did, too. She teased the hell out of him, but that's sort of Rise's thing, and its not like Kanji didn't dish back as much as he got.

Lucifer has a amazing design.

Aesthetically, Thor, Lilith, Bishamonten, Mother Harlot, Kushinada and Kohryu...from what I can remember off the top of my head. Cu Chulainn and Throne are pretty cool too.

In terms of usefulness, uhh...I remember loving Siegfried and Norn in both P4 and P3.

Guess Who

Banned
Naoto's
shadow wanting to be a guy
isn't literally representative of
Naoto's true feelings
in the same way that Chie
doesn't actually think of Yukiko as her bitch
and Rise
doesn't actually want to be a stripper. These are all repressed emotions, insecurities, fears about how people see them
. Chie's
shadow is really about her own insecurities about not being "feminine" enough and her jealousy towards Yukiko
, Rise
wanting to "strip down" is metaphor for wanting people to see her as more than the manufactured personality she plays on TV
, Naoto
pretends to be male so that she's respected professionally, and not looked down upon for being young or a girl

The
laboratory theme of Naoto's dungeon
has a double-meaning: yes, it's a reference to
having a sex change operation
, but it's also
meant to be styled like the secret bases from all the detective shows Naoto admired as a kid, that gave her a male-biased vision of what a cool detective should be like

Alright, thanks guys. I think her whole character just kind of rubs me the wrong way.
The other characters have issues that, while not always relatable, are realistic enough for you to see that real people could have them.Yet Naoto's "not wanting to be seen as a child" problems are taken to ridiculous extremes because of her absurd intelligence levels and profession at her young age. Then the gender issue, which I feel could have acted alone as an issue for someone to face, feels kind of tacked on. Hopefully I don't sound like an insensitive ass, but having a 15-year old girl try to be a dude for at least a year or more seems like there should be more to it than her just want to fit in/be accepted. However, this is connected to the unrelatability of her issues due to her absurd personality and situation.

I just feel like there should be a lot more complexity to her character given how she acts. I've yet to start her S. Link so I'm not sure if these things are addressed or not.

Unrelated, but that Nanako Max S. Link have me all the feels. I'm so disappointed that I won't have enough time to max Dojima's :(

Caladrius

Quetzalcoatl (The serpent version, not that ugly chieftain one), Kohryu, Thanatos, Ra, Mot, Ongyo-Ki, Yurlungur, Satan and Shiki-Ouji are among my favorites from the Persona games.

If only, Ahriman, SMT II Vishnu and Fafnir were in them too...

I love Jack Frost and Pyro Jack. Their "hee-ho" is hilarious.

I also like personas/demons with cool design or spells such as Loki (new design),

Agreed. I have yet to see a Jack I didn't like.

Lucifer has a amazing design.

He really does. SMTIV's biggest crime was deviating way too far from it.

Guess Who

Banned
Alright, thanks guys. I think her whole character just kind of rubs me the wrong way.
The other characters have issues that, while not always relatable, are realistic enough for you to see that real people could have them.Yet Naoto's "not wanting to be seen as a child" problems are taken to ridiculous extremes because of her absurd intelligence levels and profession at her young age. Then the gender issue, which I feel could have acted alone as an issue for someone to face, feels kind of tacked on. Hopefully I don't sound like an insensitive ass, but having a 15-year old girl try to be a dude for at least a year or more seems like there should be more to it than her just want to fit in/be accepted. However, this is connected to the unrelatability of her issues due to her absurd personality and situation.

I just feel like there should be a lot more complexity to her character given how she acts. I've yet to start her S. Link so I'm not sure if these things are addressed or not.

Keep in mind this is a Japanese game. Tomboys are stigmatized badly over there, told they'll never find husbands, and criticized for not being feminine enough. And Naoto grew up admiring her family full of male detectives, watching shows and reading stories about male detectives. I don't think it's that much of a reach for a girl growing up in a culture with strict gender roles and surrounded by male images of what a detective should be could get some fucked up ideas on what she needs to be in order to be accepted by society.

Keep in mind this is a Japanese game. Tomboys are stigmatized badly over there, told they'll never find husbands, and criticized for not being feminine enough. And Naoto grew up admiring her family full of male detectives, watching shows and reading stories about male detectives. I don't think it's that much of a reach for a girl growing up in a culture with strict gender roles and surrounded by male images of what a detective should be could get some fucked up ideas on what she needs to be in order to be accepted by society.

Yea, I know Japan isn't the most open-minded place on Earth. This stuff seeps into the manga and occasional anime that I watch too. Doesn't keep it from bothering me though.

Almost forgot to mention the hilariously sexist line where Yukiko says that
one of the reasons Naoto couldn't escape her captor is because she's actually a girl.
I had to do a double-take.

LX_Theo

Banned
Yea, I know Japan isn't the most open-minded place on Earth. This stuff seeps into the manga and occasional anime that I watch too. Doesn't keep it from bothering me though.

one of the reasons Naoto couldn't escape her captor is because she's actually a girl.

Yosuke's a cool dude, but he's pretty vulnerable to generalizations and stereotypes of many sorts.

Moonlight

Banned
Naoto's definitely one of the weakest main characters of the game, personally. I think it's always been weird because by all rights, she should have been my favourite character in the game - she has my favourite design, for one. But there's a lot about her character arc and internal conflict that's handled either incredibly poorly -
any real reason for Naoto's supposed inferiority complex is really poorly reflected by the game in general - and sometimes it's outright uncomfortable. The path to 'romancing' Naoto is legitimately one of the most... ugh aspects of the game.

Throne is a great pick, always loved his casting animation where he spins. I'm not sure if she counts because supposedly she was supposed to be Marie's Persona, but Kaguyahime is easily one of my favourite designs. She's just got a really slick, sci-fi design. I think Samael and Seth look fucking awesome, but they've never been that useful to me as actual things to keep around by the time I ever got to the likes of them. I also love Kohryu. He's the first Persona I ever got Spell Master on in P4 and he's pretty much the best. I'm really liking Lorelai too, although it might be because I'm playing Devil Survivor: Overclocked right now and she is mad useful. Feel like there's a couple demons I'm forgetting about, but eh.

Guess Who

Banned

I definitely get where you're coming from. That conservation with the Yukiko line you're talking about is definitely bothersome, as is pretty much everything Yosuke says to Kanji. You can also (optionally) do some pretty cringeworthy stuff during the Naoto s-link as well, particularly if
you want to romance her
. There's definitely things that could've been handled better.

That said, there's lots of people
who interpret Naoto as female-to-male transgender and then get upset when the game constantly refers to her as female
, and the game text makes it pretty clear that's not what the writers were going for, even if they drop the ball in handling it.

Caladrius

Throne is a great pick, always loved his casting animation where he spins. I'm not sure if she counts because supposedly she was supposed to be Marie's Persona, but Kaguyahime is easily one of my favourite designs. She's just got a really slick, sci-fi design. I think Samael and Seth look fucking awesome, but they've never been that useful to me as actual things to keep around by the time I ever got to the likes of them. I also love Kohryu. He's the first Persona I ever got Spell Master on in P4 and he's pretty much the best. I'm really liking Lorelai too, although it might be because I'm playing Devil Survivor: Overclocked right now and she is mad useful. Feel like there's a couple demons I'm forgetting about, but eh.

Damn it, forgot about Set and Samael.
You have very good taste in purseowners.

CorvoSol

Damn it, forgot about Set and Samael.
You have very good taste in purseowners.

Oh yeah, Samael was a nifty one. I used him for awhile in P3P.

I never bothered with anyone not named Izanagi or Black Frost in P4G, though. Subsequent playthroughs of P3P and P4G will see me just use Orpheus/Thanatos/Messiah and Izanagi/Alts.

Subsequent playthroughs of Persona 1ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

TBH a lot of SMT4's demon art issues could have been resolved if Doi or Kaneko had drawn the actual in-game art instead of just throwing all the disparate styles in.

Anyway I'm like 80% sure we'll see Chemtrail/Plasma in P5 because it really seems to fit the Persona aesthetic, such as it is.

CorvoSol

Demons I wish were in Persona:

That toilet demon from Persona 1. Also that basketball demon.

Demons I hope to never see again:

That one whose neck is being crushed by a vice. Shit's creepy.

SMTIV is awesome you poop

SMT4 is a solid game, sure, but not anything I'd want to be stuck waiting months and months for.

CorvoSol

You know, I like shadows and I get that demons are a megaten staple the way behemoths and bombs are for Final Fantasy, but I kinda wish Persona would really embrace how wacky the bestiary of an urban fantasy can be. Like the toilet and basketball stuff in P1 was great, and fighting tables and dice is okay, but in Earthbound you fight lamp posts and hippies and in some urban FF areas like midgar you fight houses. I'd really love for them to embrace those kinds of wacky things in the monster category.

You can fight books and dancers and tanks and gloves.

It seems like in P4 they mention that the random encounter shadows are supposed to be evocative of stuff you see on TV, and, I dunno, like, some of them? Sure. But a lot are recycled from P3 and don't really scream "common TV content" you know?

You know, I like shadows and I get that demons are a megaten staple the way behemoths and bombs are for Final Fantasy, but I kinda wish Persona would really embrace how wacky the bestiary of an urban fantasy can be. Like the toilet and basketball stuff in P1 was great, and fighting tables and dice is okay, but in Earthbound you fight lamp posts and hippies and in some urban FF areas like midgar you fight houses. I'd really love for them to embrace those kinds of wacky things in the monster category.

14-SMT029.jpg

gfs_21747_2_83.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom