• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

sho-time is pretty good tbh

dantis where are you getting all these damn people that will actually talk to you on tumblr? NOBODY TALKS TO ME ON TUMBLR :|

To be fair, it's only because I make posts saying "PLEASE TALK TO ME". Outside of that, I probably only get a couple of messages a week.

Are requests open to everyone? :p

...Yes?

And it's even sillier now. Someone'd have to be in a cave to not know. He's in it, he has a Persona, that's all there is to it.

Why do say things like this, man? Not everyone subscribes to Atlus Faithful Emails. I don't.

I like the title, but the
cabbage
was still in the email
"The cabbage-carrying constable "

I hate myself for saying it, but I prefer that one. Much smoother to say.

Dantis

I like the title, but the
cabbage
was still in the email
"The cabbage-carrying constable "

I hate myself for saying it, but I prefer that one. Much smoother to say.

It sounds better to say, but man, I dislike the
cabbage
stuff.

i've gotten maybe 6 messages over 3 years :|

Might just be because I update a lot more often tbh.

Can you draw Narukami wearing Miles Edgeworth's garb?

Most probably!

That is the silliest word I've ever seen anyone spoiler

Cabbage isn't a spoiler,it's a vegetable!

I'm all for spoiler blocking but this is ridiculous now.

It's all within the context, not the word alone.

When talking about cabbage in my previous post it's clearly in reference to one character, and considering I was talking about said character
being in P4U
that would be considered a spoiler for those who haven't finished P4.

At least according the the rules we came up with.

Unless you guys are referring to Dantis' post..

cj_iwakura

Why do say things like this, man? Not everyone subscribes to Atlus Faithful Emails. I don't.

I just find it silly. We should be able to freely discuss content relevant to older games in a community thread. It's not even a P4U spoiler, just vanilla.

It's like spoiling Ghaleon as the bad guy in a Lunar community.

Tiu Neo

It's all within the context, not the word alone.

When talking about cabbage in my previous post it's clearly in reference to one character, and considering I was talking about said character
being in P4U
that would be considered a spoiler for those who haven't finished P4.

At least according the the rules we came up with.

Doesn't the cabbage thing come up after (P4 Spoilers)
in the ending, when you already know he is the culprit?

Dantis

That is the silliest word I've ever seen anyone spoiler

Cabbage isn't a spoiler,it's a vegetable!

I'm all for spoiler blocking but this is ridiculous now.

I spoilered it because Dave did, and I think in the context of the conversation, it's fine.

You're not expected to spoiler tag that particular word, and you know what you are expected to spoiler tag, so I'm not sure what the problem is? Probably not something worth getting frustrated by.

I just find it silly. We should be able to freely discuss content relevant to older games in a community thread. It's not even a P4U spoiler, just vanilla.

It's like spoiling Ghaleon as the bad guy in a Lunar community.

Too bad.

Lots of people come in here because it's a very active Persona thread. Lots of them haven't finished the games. There's no reason to spoil them on things just because hitting the spoiler tag button is too much effort for you.

Sophia

Be considerate towards others, and it will come back to help you in the future.

I'm conflicted myself. On one hand, Atlus doesn't seem to care. On the other hand, I'd rather this thread stay approachable by new people coming in. Cuz if they can't come in then things go south fast and the thread could potentially turn clique-ish. And if it turns into a clique, then Lex Luthor might steal 40 cupcakes. And that's terrible.

Also r.i.p. anyone playing Lunar: The Silver Star for the first time. :p

I'm conflicted myself. On one hand, Atlus doesn't seem to care. On the other hand, I'd rather this thread stay approachable by new people coming in. Cuz if they can't come in then things go south fast and the thread could potentially turn clique-ish. And if it turns into a clique, then Lex Luthor might steal 40 cupcakes. And that's terrible.

If only if Atlus marketed the Arena series as a sequel to P4.

Sophia

They have. Multiple times.

I think your Sarcasm Detector failed you, Flux. XD

I thought it was kind of interesting that Arena spoiled more for P3 than it did P4, and I'm curious as to the extent of
Adachi's role
in the game, especially considering the DLC scenario.

And if it turns into a clique, then Lex Luthor might steal 40 cupcakes. And that's terrible.

That's as much as four tens! That is terrible.

Also, spoilers are a weird territory. While I agree with not spoiling
the P4 villain
, I think discussing an aspect of his character which isn't spoilers should be fine.

Plus I can think of a quite large spoiler from the same game that no one seems to bother hiding.
Naoto being a girl.

I don't agree with not spoilering stuff just because newer games are out. Like people have said, new people still come into this thread with a clean slate, so we shouldn't be ruining things for them just because time has passed since release. I know I would have been passed if someone ruined P4 for me when I first played it, which was only two years ago.

I think the point I'm trying to make, in an admittedly long winded and rambling way, is be considerate with spoilers since new people are always joining, but let's not go overboard with it and have the thread looking like a CIA file.

Discussion like this is why I love being part of this community so much. It's never boring.

I'm curious to find out why Sho has a Yasogami uniform. In the trailers we've seen so far, no one has even mentioned it.

II'm hoping Sho will take off a mask and reveal himself to be
Funky Student.

biodude

Neo Member
That's as much as four tens! That is terrible.

Also, spoilers are a weird territory. While I agree with not spoiling
the P4 villain
, I think discussing an aspect of his character which isn't spoilers should be fine.

Plus I can think of a quite large spoiler from the same game that no one seems to bother hiding.
Naoto being a girl.

I don't agree with not spoilering stuff just because newer games are out. Like people have said, new people still come into this thread with a clean slate, so we shouldn't be ruining things for them just because time has passed since release. I know I would have been passed if someone ruined P4 for me when I first played it, which was only two years ago.

I think the point I'm trying to make, in an admittedly long winded and rambling way, is be considerate with spoilers since new people are always joining, but let's not go overboard with it and have the thread looking like a CIA file.

Discussion like this is why I love being part of this community so much. It's never boring.

I can appreciate this, I joined the persona party a little late and haven't finished p4, and just beat the answer. I want to play persona 2 at some point as well and finish nocturne without being completely spoiled as well if possible. I'm mainly concerned about p4/ p4g though

kewlmyc

I pointed this out earlier in the thread but everyone jumped on me saying that "Just because someone else does it, does it mean we should?!" So yeah, I don't agree with it, but I think we're kinda stuck with it now. I'll follow the rule regardless though.

Also, you completely lost me at the underlined part.

It's a classic and rather sad tale of Lex Luthor stealing cakes
G4e61xl.jpg

Sophia

I pointed this out earlier in the thread but everyone jumped on me saying that "Just because someone else does it, does it mean we should?!" So yeah, I don't agree with it, but I think we're kinda stuck with it now. I'll follow the rule regardless though.

I do kinda like this thread being spoiler free, but at the same time it doesn't mean much if the main forums and every other site on the internet is posting what Atlus says. Which is essentially what happened in regards to that newsletter just earlier. Virtually every news site posted it as is.

At least we can provide a haven for those who don't want to be spoiled.

And just think of how many cakes Teddie and Rei could have eaten if not for Lex Luthor stealing them?! It's truly tragic. :<

biodude

Neo Member
I do kinda like this thread being spoiler free, but at the same time it doesn't mean much if the main forums and every other site on the internet is posting what Atlus says. Which is essentially what happened in regards to that newsletter just earlier. Virtually every news site posted it as is.

At least we can provide a haven for those who don't want to be spoiled.

Just think of how many cakes Teddie could have eaten if not for Lex Luthor stealing them?! It's truly tragic. :<

I've been staying away from any trailers/ pages explaining the DLC character, though I've been spoiled a little bit- I barely know about him. I do find it kind of weird how atlus is throwing spoilers around with the dlc character, especially since the 2012 release of golden with many new persona players about. I'm trying to power-game through p4 to finish it though so it wont be a problem anymore, either way it is nice having spoilers for any of the games in spoiler tags

It also isn't that hard to use the tags on stuff that might ruin the experience for others. I could see how some might find it a pain in the ass to click to see what's hidden, but it really does make a difference for others. Just because others are spoiling everything it doesn't mean we have to too right?

FluxWaveZ

I do find it kind of weird how atlus is throwing spoilers around with the dlc character, especially since the 2012 release of golden with many new persona players about.

I object so hard to this. It's understandable that we avoid the issue in this thread because we're a community thread with intermittent newcomers to the series participating, but the game's 6 years old, regardless of recent remakes or upcoming anime series. Persona 4 was only put 1-2 months ago on PSN, but that's still irrelevant when it comes to the issue of, basically, moving on.

P4AU's a sequel to the sequel to Persona 4. I was already frustrated that certain story elements were glossed over or, even, reiterated in P4A when it's supposed to be a sequel, but now they have to move on. It'd be senseless to pay attention to media of a sequel to any other game and expect to not be spoiled about the previous entries, especially when it's constantly touted as a direct sequel in Arena's case.

biodude

Neo Member
I object so hard to this. It's understandable that we avoid the issue in this thread because we're a community thread with intermittent newcomers to the series participating, but the game's 6 years old, regardless of recent remakes or upcoming anime series. Persona 4 was only put 1-2 months ago on PSN, but that's still irrelevant when it comes to the issue of, basically, moving on.

P4AU's a sequel to the sequel to Persona 4. I was already frustrated that certain story elements were glossed over or, even, reiterated in P4A when it's supposed to be a sequel, but now they have to move on. It'd be senseless to pay attention to media of a sequel to any other game and expect to not be spoiled about the previous entries, especially when it's constantly touted as a direct sequel in Arena's case.

I do understand this, and it is to be expected I suppose- but its very hard to avoid paying attention to p4au media when its plastered around almost anything persona related on news sites. Like I said, even with avoiding as much as possible, its very easy to be spoiled with persona 4 now especially since
Adachi seems to be completely harmless and friendly for the most part of persona 4

With all the recent re-releases and animations though, I do have to have disagree a bit with you on that and hold to my statement. There's still many people very new to the series and being introduced through the pretty recent re-release of persona4 through golden/ animation (I've had at least 3 friends intro'd to the series from that alone recently).
I'm just saying there might have been a better way to go about the DLC character news maybe, but it probably was inevitable either way. I'm just stating how I feel about it though

kewlmyc

I've had two friends that were just getting in to p4 spoiled just this week.

Whole thing kinda sucks.

Was it by us? Because if it was, then I apologize for whoever did that.

Reminds me of Woolie from Two Best Friends Play got spoiled on the killer this week when he decided to go visit /v/. Flat out said [REDACTED] is the killer in a random P3 thread. But it's /v/ so it's to be expected. I got spoiled on L.A.Noire in a random thread on a totally non video game related board.

Whole thing kinda sucks.

One of my good friends started P4G last month, and I've basically told him to stay off the internet until he finishes, because I'm terrified that he'll get spoiled on stuff because of the Ultimax announcements...

biodude

Neo Member
I just got one of those fan mail updates from Atlus, titled:

The Egocentric Police Dick

This doesn't help me with the whole "trying to avoid p4 spoilers" lol.

I mean, I could completely cut myself off from anything atlus related entirely to avoid any spoilers, though its a bit too late for that. I'll probably do that. I'm going to try and beat persona 4 this week before it gets any worse

The thing is, I dont fully know if
Adachi is ACTUALLY the killer, all I know is that he's involved in some way and isn't as nice as he seems to be.

Its a shame, I had no suspicions at all about him at all originally.

One of my good friends started P4G last month, and I've basically told him to stay off the internet until he finishes, because I'm terrified that he'll get spoiled on stuff because of the Ultimax announcements...

Excellent advice. Just to chime in, I'm a relatively new fan of Persona, and find myself in the position of anticipating a Persona title (or four in this case, between Dancing, Ultimax, Persona Q, and Persona 5) for the first time, so it's hard to tell where I should and shouldn't be looking, but PersonaGAF has been great about it, for sure.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member

Whole thing kinda sucks.

Sorry to hear that.
When I first started playing P3 one of my friends came up to me and said "Hey btw MC dies at the end LAWL JK"...

Reminds me of Woolie from Two Best Friends Play got spoiled on the killer this week when he decided to go visit /v/. Flat out said [REDACTED] is the killer in a random P3 thread.
I was surprised that Woolie finally got around to playing Persona. Must have been the saltiness in the P4A episode that sent him over the edge.

Speaking from personal experience, being spoiled to the killer's identity isn't that big of a deal in terms of lessening enjoyment imo. Persona 4 isn't exactly a good mystery story anyways. There are far more pressing spoilers in the game. Still sucks to be spoiled though.

MSMrRound

Got spoiled on Persona 3, but managed to dodge Persona 4 spoilers until I finished the anime series (I had only finished P3FES then, and was on a Persona high)

Learning about
Naoto being a female
was amazing, since
her JP voice actress have always been known to voice male characters such as Edward Elric
so I didn't see it coming. and
Adachi
being final mastermind blew my mind.

Legitly thought it was Namatane. Those Nanako anime scenes were heart-wrenching to watch. I kind of enjoyed the series on a whole though, and it got me to buy Persona 4 Arena followed by the long wait for my Vita and the Persona 4 Solid Gold pack

Gonna watch a couple of Persona 5 trailers just to get a feel of the character designs and stuff, battle system maybe...but other than that, I'm gonna stay away from the Internet when Persona 5 gets released over in Japan...

biodude

Neo Member
Sorry to hear that.
When I first started playing P3 one of my friends came up to me and said "Hey btw MC dies at the end LAWL JK"...

I was surprised that Woolie finally got around to playing Persona. Must have been the saltiness in the P4A episode that sent him over the edge.

Speaking from personal experience, being spoiled to the killer's identity isn't that big of a deal in terms of lessening enjoyment imo. Persona 4 isn't exactly a good mystery story anyways. There are far more pressing spoilers. Still sucks to be spoiled though.

I was so glad that I wasn't spoiled at all with persona 3, but I
didn't actually know he died until after I started the answer. After I beat p3p I bought fes on the ps2. I thought when he closed his eyes in p3p, I misinterpreted it and thought he was just resting, not actually dead. Boy was I wrong lol

I mean, even if someone spoiled persona 3 by saying
"lol mc dies", luckily its more in depth than that and you'd at least have the answer to explain the reason for everything/ what really happened to him.
Still would suck to hear though

I completely agree with this, but that doesn't really apply to someone new to the series. Let's say I just started P4G (because it's not that old, it's on sale very often and it's one of the few "must own even if you don't like the genre" games for the PS Vita). Let's say I've been having some trouble beating a boss so I come here looking for some advice, like some of the new guys here did. That is not "paying attention to media of a sequel". Now, if you were searching for info about a sequel for a game that you haven't even finished yet, that's your own problem, but if you just wanted some help you should be able to find a "safe place", regardless of how "old" the game is.

I'll admit I didn't know P4A was a sequel to P3 too, which I hadn't played yet. I was a newcomer to the series at the time. Got spoiled at some major plot points just by looking at the roster.

As far as I know the storyline goes P3(FES)-P4(G)-P4A-P4U-Trinity Souls
it is recognized as cannon and Akihiko is already a cop, something that he said he wanted to do at the end of his arc in P4A.
PQ is god knows where LOL.

FluxWaveZ

I completely agree with this, but that doesn't really apply to someone new to the series. Let's say I just started P4G (because it's not that old, it's on sale very often and it's one of the few "must own even if you don't like the genre" games for the PS Vita). Let's say I've been having some trouble beating a boss so I come here looking for some advice, like some of the new guys here did. That is not "paying attention to media of a sequel". Now, if you were searching for info about a sequel for a game that you haven't even finished yet, that's your own problem, but if you just wanted some help you should be able to find a "safe place", regardless of how "old" the game is.

So you're saying exactly what I did? I'm not arguing against labeling spoilers in this thread, like I stated at the very beginning of what you quoted.

As far as I know the storyline goes P3(FES)-P4(G)-P4A-P4U-Trinity Souls
it is recognized as cannon and Akihiko is already a cop, something that he said he wanted to do at the end of his arc in P4A.
PQ is god knows where LOL.

Trinity Souls was never stated canon.

And man that "P4U" abbreviation confuses me. I've seen "P4AU" or "P4U2" everywhere except for here.

So you're saying exactly what I did? I'm not arguing against labeling spoilers in this thread, like I stated at the very beginning of what you quoted.

Well... While I may have not noticed that specific part (
I'm sorry, I'm still sleepy D:
), you can look at my post as a reinforcement of your argument... I guess. There are some people who think that just because Ultimax exists and Atlus is promoting it (even though they are promoting it as a sequel), it's ok to spoil the previous games even to the people new to the series.

Again, sorry if I missed that part of your post. I don't know what happened to me :p

kewlmyc

I actually got spoiled on P4 as well.
At the time I was playing, the whole "Bitches and Whores" meme was still going strong on some websites. I had seen the meme for months before actually playing the game and when that character showed up, I immediately figured out what that meme actually meant. Was kinda disappointed when he never said it himself ingame.

I actually got spoiled on P4 as well.
At the time I was playing, the whole "Bitches and Whores" meme was still going strong on some websites. I had seen the meme for months before actually playing the game and when that character showed up, I immediately figured out what that meme actually meant. Was kinda disappointed when he never said it himself ingame.
Haha, I remember seeing that meme before I even knew about persona. Luckily I wasn't able to connect the two.

I'm quite impressed that we've been relatively free of PQ spoilers so far. I was planning on taking a break from here when P5 released in Japan, but looks like I won't have to.

Young Magus

Also r.i.p. anyone playing Lunar: The Silver Star for the first time. :P

Still gotta finish that game

#thankscj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom