• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took some plume of dusk and now I'm back. Finally.

About the question, I prefer P3 because the whole thing seemed much more world relevant from the beginning... It was serious business. The final battle looked like it is all or nothing, I really felt that the destiny of the world was in my hands. I got chills everytime I listen to The Battle For Everyone Souls. And I also prefer Iwatodai and Gekkoukan High as a city and school.

And the best of all: Mitsuru-senpai. :3

But I love P4 as well. It is a really funny game with a better gameplay. The relationships with your friends was done much better.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Spoilers suck, I know. But it's kind of hard to skate around the issue at this point, I know we're going to pee in the cornflakes of a few people playing through the game for the first time, and it's truly unfortunate. Gonna bust out this cliche, but I feel especially with P4G, the game is about the journey and not the destination/conclusion.

I mean, I was trying to find out something about a character in GoT and got that shit spoiled for me left and right thanks to the top-hit wiki page, so I'm not going to try and argue that having something spoiled doesn't suck. It does, and I apologize to the people who may have had their experience with P4 tarnished.

Sadly, my petition to get "Warning: P4 Spoilers" as an automatic gmail tag has gone unnoticed at Google.

Dantis

I enjoyed it a lot too, but I saw it all as a very satirical game, not as a dark game. (Especially the punishments.)

Yup. I think so too. It was more literally gory (and is likely more gory than Persona 5), but I think Persona 5 will handle any darker themes it has with more maturity.

Ok, I should have prefixed it with "twice attempted".

We kinda don't know how the scene would have played out, to be fair.

Either way, it feels like a significant stretch to call the culprit a rapist.

Mdesilva

Murder is murder, but Danganronpa is a very silly game.
Oh I definitely agree. I'm saying P5 will not be as dark as Zero Escape and that Danganronpa would be a better comparison. And even with it being silly, I think P5 will still be more lighthearted.

Sophia

I enjoyed it a lot too, but I saw it all as a very satirical game, not as a dark game. (Especially the punishments.)

I haven't played Danganronpa myself, but I've read up on a significant amount of the game, and I did get the satirical impression as well.

We kinda don't know how the scene would have played out, to be fair.

Either way, it feels like a significant stretch to call the culprit a rapist.

Attempted sexual harassment is the safest bet.

I totally agree with that, I don't think Danganronpa is meant to be that dark. In their own world yes, it is supposed to be a despair filled place, but in our world just like atlusprime said, it is meant to be more satirical than anything. I get that some of the magic was lost due to the voice acting in America not having the same impact as in Japan, but you have a goddamn bear as a villain for crying out loud aha.

Got to say, as much as I love P3, which is A LOT, P4 is my personal favourite.

The characters were more believable, the emotional scenes hit me harder, outside of P3's End boss themes I enjoyed the music more, the battle system was more refined, the bosses were more interesting.....

I could go on more, but you get my point. In my opinion, P4 is the better game, and thats saying something since P3 is such a masterpiece.

So guys, is this Soejima's artwork?

tumblr_n7sa8360tR1si48w3o2_1280.jpg

I don't remember the last time he drew Makoto (maybe in P3P? and I'm not counting with PQ). I like Makoto's design in the picture above.

Koriandrr

Speaking of hard-hitting emotions, the Sun Social Link dude's story in P3. That's all I have to say:

(not really a spoiler?)

P3-Akinari_Render.png

meme_cry_png_by_mfsyrcm-d58vqic.png

All the feels.

I think it has its moments, but is very self-aware. Best description I've heard is that it's a black comedy.

Nailed it. The overall themes of DR are quite serious (Despair, Murder, Betrayal etc), but its handled in a quirky scenario with eccentric characters. The aesthetic of the game matches this perfectly (bubblegum blood), and the whole game works better as a result.

Koriandrr

Nailed it. The overall themes of DR are quite serious (Despair, Murder, Betrayal etc), but its handled in a quirky scenario with eccentric characters. The aesthetic of the game matches this perfectly (bubblegum blood), and the whole game works better as a result.

With DR I feel more like it's a parody of all the possible Japanese stereotypes and turning them around, putting them in scenarios they've never been in before and making it funny, but brutal at the same time.

I actually enjoyed watching the anime as well. Sad about the fact that they never bothered translating the PSP version, as I'm still waiting for more games to justify buying a Vita. Thankfully some fans did a PSP translation instead - bless them, whoever they are. :D

PK Gaming

How can Danganronpa be dark when everyone bled bubblegum?

I don't know about dark, but DanganRonpa is fairly melancholic. The murders themselves aren't particularly dark, but the circumstances surrounding those murders are pretty heavy. Developers were striving to make you this huge sense of betrayal, since you get to know this colorful/likeable characters, and you're forced to see them put into a situation where they're forced to kill other equally likeable characters.

Koriandrr

I don't know about dark, but DanganRonpa is fairly melancholic. The murders themselves aren't particularly dark, but the circumstances surrounding those murders are pretty heavy. Developers were striving to make you this huge sense of betrayal, since you get to know this colorful/likeable characters, and you're forced to see them put into a situation where they're forced to kill other equally likeable characters.

Oh that hit the spot. It wasn't DR that made me feel this way, but 999 did. I actually got 999 without even looking it up, it was £4 at the local second hand shop, so it was a no brainer buy, then played it straight after not knowing anything about it. That hurt so bad.

EDIT: BTW, where's this meetup you speak of? :D

The one on the left might be, but most certainly not the P4GA one.

Aigis definitely has the Soejima neck going on.

Yeah, I'm more confident that this could be his work. It was featured in this magazine:

tumblr_n7sa8360tR1si48w3o1_500.jpg

I want to say the P3 one reminds me of Sogabe, actually. Maybe it's just how Makoto's facial expression is.

Is Sogabe the guy from the manga? It has a resemblance indeed. But Sogabe's Makoto has a younger face with bigger eyes.

Murder is murder, but Danganronpa is a very silly game.

DR isn't immature. The game is incredibly smart. It's a satire and a black comedy, too.

Murder is murder. And the pink blood was a stylistic choice that I myself enjoyed.

Bingo! I wouldn't say it was a 'dark' game.

I also liked the pink blood (although I hated everything else about the 'style' of that game).

Yeah, I'm more confident that this could be his work. It was featured in this magazine:

I'm sure Dantis knows the answer, but I'm pretty sure his artwork was used for P4A promotions, so it wouldn't surprise me to see some for P4GA. (I can't see the image however for some reason.)

I loved Danganronpa and I also liked the pink blood. At first it was strange, but then I got used and found it very stylish and fitting with that beautiful game art.

Squire

Banned
Bingo! I wouldn't say it was a 'dark' game.

I also liked the pink blood (although I hated everything else about the 'style' of that game).

I like a few of the character designs in DR1, but I think the art seems to really come into it's own in the sequel. The cast of DR2 looks so, so slick.

Danganronpa may not necessarily be darker than Persona or Zero Escape per se, but I personally found it to be more affecting than both. There was a certain event in the game after which I put down my Vita for a full day in order to collect myself and process it before I could continue playing, which is something that ZE never did for me. Persona affects me in a different, more positive way, but it's more of a "Hey, this character is me in highschool! This game is so relatable!" thing.

PK Gaming

Danganronpa may not necessarily be darker than Persona or Zero Escape per se, but I personally found it to be more affecting than both. There was a certain event in the game after which I put down my Vita for a full day in order to collect myself and process it before I could continue playing, which is something that ZE never did for me. Persona affects me in a different, more positive way, but it's more of a "Hey, this character is me in highschool! This game is so relatable!" thing.

You hit the nail on the head!

Just wait until you dig into DR2; there aren't enough tissues in the world to wipe away those inevitable tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom