• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What series is more popular in Japan, SMT or Persona? I've noticed they've been dropping the SMT prefix in recent games, I guess they don't want Persona seen as a spinoff anymore?

Persona has also had a lot more exposure and advertising than the SMT games, so I would say Persona?

The games being more focused on school kids/life probably widens the target market to more than the core SMT franchise does too.

Levito

Banned
Considering Persona 5 is the most anticipated game in Japan(well, among famitsu readers), I'd imagine that Persona is probably more popular.

Man, I'm starting to forget P5 is a thing.

FluxWaveZ

Yup, I know.

Oh, so the popularity in Japan and the SMT prefix for the localizations are two different topics? Well, Persona is clearly more popular than the main SMT brand both in Japan and North America. I don't think dropping the prefix is to distance its origins as a spin-off, but because it is completely unnecessary now that the Persona brand stands on its own.

Considering Persona 5 is the most anticipated game in Japan(well, among famitsu readers), I'd imagine that Persona is probably more popular.

An unfair example because there's no upcoming SMT game to compare that to. To say that one could be more anticipated that another, we'd need to compare anticipation for P5 compared to an SMT V.

Levito

Banned
An unfair example because there's no upcoming SMT game to compare that to. To say that one could be more anticipated that another, we'd need to compare anticipation for P5 compared to an SMT V.

Maybe, but I'd take it as evidence. As there's more buzz there for P5 then literally any other videogame. Guess we'll see the next time another SMT mainline game is announced(or even another spin off).

FluxWaveZ

Maybe, but I'd take it as evidence. As there's more buzz there for P5 then literally any other videogame. Guess we'll see the next time another SMT mainline game is announced(or even another spin off).

That's not true, either. Where are you getting this from, Famitsu most wanted charts?

And, again, there's a ton of clear evidence that Persona is more popular than SMT. I'm just saying that this particular point isn't one.

Again, according to Famitsu. Not necessarily indicative that it's the most anticipated game for the country as a whole, but it's more than enough evidence that it's going to be a massive game there.

Yes, Persona 5 is going to be huge. But we have to be very careful when we mention that it's the most anticipated game in the country based solely on the extremely small relative sample size that is Famitsu readers who weighed in.

Tamanon

Banned
Persona has the benefit of being a character-driven series, as opposed to a gameplay-driven one. That means it can branch out from just gaming(anime/movies/toys/plays, lol). So it allows a broader reach.

Levito

Banned
That's not true, either. Where are you getting this from, Famitsu most wanted charts?

Again, according to Famitsu. Not necessarily indicative that it's the most anticipated game for the country as a whole, but it's more than enough evidence that it's going to be a massive game there.

We'll see what happens when a new SMT game is announced.

Sophia

I'd like to point out that Famitsu readers are not an accurate size sample of potential buyers. Especially because they tend to be slightly more hardcore, like us.

Mind you, I do think Persona 5 will be pretty massive. Especially after Persona Music Fes 2013 and that HUGE crowd. But I wouldn't use Famitsu as sole evidence of it. Merely as evidence to back up other evidence.

Levito

Banned
Here's a question for PersonaGAF: Is Persona 5 *your* most anticipated game right now?

For me, I'm actually way more excited for things like Destiny, Danganronpa 2, and The Witcher 3. Again mainly because so little is known about P5, once gameplay/art/characters/whatever is revealed I'm sure that'll change.

Here's a question for PersonaGAF: Is Persona 5 *your* most anticipated game right now?

For me, I'm actually way more excited for things like Destiny, Danganronpa 2, and The Witcher 3. Again mainly because so little is known about P5, once gameplay/art/characters/whatever is revealed I'm sure that'll change.

Persona 5 isnt even my most anticipated Persona game right now.

Hard to get hyped about something that we've had no news on in 8 months.

For me, in no particular order, Ultimax - PQ - P5 - P4DAN - DR2 - Rainbow Six : Siege - Guilty Gear - Hotline Miami 2 - Binding of Isaac Rebirth.

DNAbro

Destiny probably since it's the closest. I want to get hyped about DR2 but I don't have a Vita and I will have to wait till I come back home from college to actually play it on my brother's vita.

Also getting strangely excited for KH 2.5, I guess it's because I'm finally playing 1.5.

and of course PQ and Smash Bros.

No. I think it's because I only recently became a fan of the series. I finished Persona 3 and 4 this year.

I could see others really wanting knowledge about it, if they had finished the original Persona 4 in 2008.

Swedesu

Even if nothing has been shown yet I would still say yes. Witcher and DR are highly anticipated games for me too but they will most likely not dethrone Persona, Mario Galaxy or 999 as my favorite games. P5 is the only game right now in my eyes that has the potential to do that.

Sophia

It doesn't even register at all on my list. I've said this before, but I can't get hyped about a game that publicly doesn't exist at this current moment.

Zareka

It means we're all Mara atop of Tartarus.

okwiththis.png

Nope, no hype at all as I don't know anything about it. I'm more excited for DAN than 5.

I would love to say that it is, but yeah, we know so little that I'm way more exited for other games. Ultimax is my most anticipated game, though. There's also Danganronpa 2, Hotline Miami 2, Mortal Kombat X, P4DAN, and a few others.

Metal Gear was my first love, so The Phantom Pain is my most anticipated title. However, even as the relatively new Persona fan that I am, Persona 5 is right there with it. I would say Metal Gear Solid V and Persona 5 are 1 and 1A, respectively, while Ultimax and Persona Q follow after that, along with Guilty Gear Xrd!

My most-anticipated games for this year are Danganronpa 2, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros., Pokémon, Ultimax and the full version of Broforce. P5 isn't even a blip on my radar yet.

Halo Master Chief Collection, persona 4 Arena Ultimax, Persona Q, Dangan Ronpa 2, Assassin's Creed Unity, Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires, Samurai Warriors 4, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, can't think of others right now

Zareka

Quick question, if P4AU turns out not to be region locked and I import a copy with all those preorder goodies, will the/any DLC work on my EU account? Or will I have to play using my US account?

kewlmyc

Yeah I am, barely. I don't really play many games anymore so that could be why. I have other games I'm going to be buying, but I can't say I'm highly anticipating any of them.

Other than P5, the only games I'm eagerly anticipating are Smash Bros Wii U, Ultimax's story, and Tales of Zesteria. As for the other games I'm getting this year:

Last of Us PS4 (already played in on PS3)
Tales of Xillia 2 (been spoiled to hell on the story)
DanganRonpa 2 (Watched the whole thing subbed, so not really hyped for it, still GOTY though)
Destiny (Beta was fun, but not really hyped for it. Looking forward to playing with PersonaGaf though)
Evolve (friends are getting it so yeah)
Tales of Hearts R (Never expected to even get this game, so not really hyped for it)
Persona Q (only look forward to the character interactions, never been a fan of EO)
Bayonetta 2 (still need to finish the first one)
Persona 4 DAN (lol)
Freedom Wars (Need something to play on the Vita

Sophia

Quick question, if P4AU turns out not to be region locked and I import a copy with all those preorder goodies, will the/any DLC work on my EU account? Or will I have to play using my US account?

You will have to use your US account to register a US code, most likely.

Tiu Neo

Hyrule Warriors is my most antecipated game, right now. If you only count Persona games, Persona Q > Persona 4 DAN > Persona 5.

kirigiri

Neo Member

I'm way more excited for Persona Q/P4AU but that may be because I haven't bought a non-steam game in quite a while and those are the last two I bothered preordering.

Tamanon

Banned
Persona 5 is the game I'm absolutely most interested in getting information on.

Playing, I'd say Last of Us(never played it originally), Destiny, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Persona Q is what I'm looking forward to the most, but that's because I don't want to get overhyped waiting for a game.

Dantis

Persona 5 and Witcher 3 are the only games that I'm like, super hyped for. There's a lot that I'm looking forward to playing, but those two are the only two that I'm going to be bouncing off the walls for once release week comes around.

EDIT: I just finished drawing this. I think it's probably the best piece of fanart I've done.

hao chi

P5 isn't even my most anticipated Persona game. My most hyped game for the past year has been Ultimax.

Bayonetta 2 and maybe the new Zelda are also above P5 for me, the latter mainly because of the lack of info regarding P5.

Setsu00

Final Fantasy XV and Persona 5 are my most hyped games.

I guess I have a tendency to make myself unhappy.

Edit: That's awesome, Dantis!

Dunan

Hey Persona buffs, is this the place to talk about P3P with limited spoilers? Because I finished the game and (after intentionally seeing the bad ending), got what feels like not the best ending. I know about a few dungeon-like things that I didn't do and am wondering whether I should go and do them.

Hey Persona buffs, is this the place to talk about P3P with limited spoilers? Because I finished the game and (after intentionally seeing the bad ending), got what feels like not the best ending. I know about a few dungeon-like things that I didn't do and am wondering whether I should go and do them.
P3P only has two endings, those bonus doors don't effect it.

If you fought
Nyx Avatar
, you got the best ending. There are only two endings to Persona 3--
killing Ryoji on New Years Eve or not killing him on New Years Eve. Persona 3 just has a very downer ending.

Man, I'm starting to forget P5 is a thing.

Probably? Its kind of obvious which is the more popular franchise by a lot.

No kidding.

I like the cheery vibe I get from Persona 3 and 4. Yes I said 3, because that OST is just that good.

1. Persona 5 / Bloodborne (can't choose)
2. MGSV
3. Destiny
4. FF Type 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom