• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww, looks like the Arena community is steadily dying. No matches found :/

Well there is a full blown sequel so its just in a small downturn while the future looks very bright, like a shining star!

tumblr_m9719n21541rvj7o1o1_400.gif

If someone doesn't make an image for "Pan's Labrys" I will fucking cry.

I just made this joke on Twitter ;_;

Arena could be a really fun anime to watch.

Yeah, with one line of spoken dialogue accompanied by pages and pages of internal monologues.

On a somewhat related note, the BB leak said that Sho had a 'persona-wielding doppelganger.' I guess that means that they are two different people?

Persona 2: Innocent Sin

I realize that Lisa is supposed to be my glorious American chinese weeaboo Chie mom character, but frankly I kinda love Kozy. I mean she's not more attractive physically, but there's something about this portly reporter girl helping me out that's awesome. I really hope she's a somewhat permanent member of the cast. It'd be nice to have a plus sized cast member on full time.

I also LOVE rumors as a thematic element in the game. Like, Persona 4 was all about finding the truth and so having Persona 2 ask me to spread rumors and lies instead is just sort of awesome and twisted in the right way. It's also nice to see things from Persona 1 pop up. I think only The Nanjo Group was mentioned in Persona 3 and I don't expect to ever hear much about P1 again in the series (which is sad, because I loved that game's plot) so I'll enjoy what I can get here. That said, I wonder how Ms. Saeko puts up with PRINCIPLE Hanya. That guy is the worst.

Oh, and instead of coming up with a nifty nickname at the start or just keeping Ta-Chan, I am now TATS-MAN. Because that is both cool AND manly!

The soundtrack is kinda sorta the weakest in any Persona game I've ever played, but it's not bad. Just not the awesomeness that was P1P's.

But I'm going through this and the next game with cheat codes to have all the spell cards I will ever need. I'm sorry, especially to buddha, but I don't have it in me to sit through two more games of demon negotiation.

The best part about IS is that it's super easy. You literally DO NOT have to fuse personas or use demon negotiation, just stick with the main personas the entire game.

CorvoSol

What if this is the secret Persona announcement??? Let's get ludicrously hyped and then infinitely disappointed when it's not.

If I'm going to get intentionally hyped for disappointment, its going to be for an HD PSV version of P3P that incorporates Makoto and Famke into each other's storylines as SLinks when you don't choose to play as them.

That's my impossible standard.

Squire

Banned
Can you imagine? Make episodes 1 and 2 the same, except seen from the perspective of the P4 and P3 casts, then Episode 3 for Labrys's backstory and Episode 4 for the finale.

Solid animation quality and give each episode a good 30-45 minutes each and you have a stellar OVA.

The whole idea of leveling up in a fighting game has piqued my interest. I wonder if movesets will be customizable, or if they will just stick to stat upgrades, and do the math regarding damage, movement speed, etc.

Seems like they're mostly stat upgrades or status buffs when conditions are met. I bet there'll be some really exotic effects though. Maybe we'll see some of the ideas from the Heroes vs. Heralds mode in UMvC3.

Nachos

Seems like they're mostly stat upgrades or status buffs when conditions are met. I bet there'll be some really exotic effects though. Maybe we'll see some of the ideas from the Heroes vs. Heralds mode in UMvC3.

How did that mode turn out, anyway? It always seemed like a cool concept, at least in terms of making causal play more entertaining, but I never knew how it was received, particularly as someone who barely touched the game.

Squire

Banned

Fighters have been doing that for ten years at this point. It should be cool.

Put me down as thinking that Persona announcement has a shot at being a game. They're calling it significant and this is a gaming property first and foremost.

Of course I'd guess P3 Vita, if I had to be specific.

Mega December Spoilers:

While they did a solid job of explaining it, the whole Nametame fake-out killer thing seems way too coincidental to be believable. Obviously his method of "saving" people is exactly the same as the way the killer kills people via throwing them into the TV (which is obviously way out there to begin with). And apparently he's like a master kidnapper since he would just walk right up to the entrance of people's houses and grab them in the open with nobody noticing.

Also, why was he able to go into the TV in the first place? Is it just a thing that happens during the midnight channel? If so, how come nobody else has done it? Otherwise I'm wondering why only Yu was able to reach in at the beginning of the game while Yosuke and Chie just felt a solid TV.

Caladrius

Mega December Spoilers:

While they did a solid job of explaining it, the whole Nametame fake-out killer thing seems way too coincidental to be believable. Obviously his method of "saving" people is exactly the same as the way the killer kills people via throwing them into the TV (which is obviously way out there to begin with). And apparently he's like a master kidnapper since he would just walk right up to the entrance of people's houses and grab them in the open with nobody noticing.

Also, why was he able to go into the TV in the first place? Is it just a thing that happens during the midnight channel? If so, how come nobody else has done it? Otherwise I'm wondering why only Yu was able to reach in at the beginning of the game while Yosuke and Chie just felt a solid TV.

They explain that last point later.

I'm so sorry.

(Click image for episode link)

Oh man this episode, oh man for two days in row I have laughed this hard, must be a new record. Each of them made me laugh so hard at how WTF they were.

About MLP X Persona Fanfic
Kanji and Yu are Bronies, I think I nearly died at that. And I think Youske is either secretly a furry or a brony or both.

Mega December Spoilers:

Yeah this was hard for me to swallow too.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
About MLP X Persona Fanfic
Kanji and Yu are Bronies, I think I nearly died at that. And I think Youske is either secretly a furry or a brony or both.

I was... "Chie" and Naoto in that.

I had to do Naoto as I am Naoto's voice actor after all.

OK, not really, but ti was a throw back to another episode. ;P

I was... "Chie" and Naoto in that.

I had to do Naoto as I am Naoto's voice actor after all.

OK, not really, but ti was a throw back to another episode. ;P

all of you guys did such a good job with the voices - i think that your teddie and pan's labrys were real good

oh and levito's nick fury holy shit huehuehueheu

CorvoSol

oj0QE2o.png

And how!
This gets balanced out with some high-grade unnerving shit like 1's did.

So I didn't quite understand: is Lisa herself a Japanese national, or an immigrant? I was under the impression she was born in Japan, but to caucasian parents. Since it was the only way "a native Caucasian" made sense aside from her actually being a native of the Caucasus mountains.

LX_Theo

Banned
So I didn't quite understand: is Lisa herself a Japanese national, or an immigrant? I was under the impression she was born in Japan, but to caucasian parents. Since it was the only way "a native Caucasian" made sense aside from her actually being a native of the Caucasus mountains.

I'm pretty sure she was born and raised there like any other Japanese woman, with the exception of the European/American background in her ethnicity/parenting.

Steven Segal shouldn't be a Persona character.

You say that, but Dwayne The Rock Johnson is a Persona character.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!

Citizenship in Japan is a bit of a tricky matter when it comes to circumstances like Lisa's. Japanese laws on being a natural born citizen don't work quite the same that they do in the US where simply being "born" on American soil nets you a birth certificate and proper citizenship saying you're an American on day one. (Granted, there are other ways to garner this title legally, but it's by far the easiest and most common one.) Because the culture of documenting lineage via formalized family trees actually still holds some legal importance today, you're only entitled to natural born citizenship if at least one of your parents is Japanese themselves. The provision used to specifically be that the father had to be Japanese because classical Confucian philosophy, but it's been either the mother or the father for quite some time. While not applicable for this situation specifically, this even applies in cases with ethnically Japanese children born overseas; they're entitled to have Japanese citizenship and a proper Japanese passport so long as the documentation can be provided about their lineage.

Now as for Lisa, she would normally not be legally considered Japanese if her circumstances were simply "her parents stayed in Japan after coming there to teach English blah blah blah blah and then she was born in Japan." Even if she still only knew Japanese and nothing else, which can be relatively common for children of foreigners who otherwise grow up and spend their lives there, she would technically only have American citizenship because of her parents, although there would be some paperwork involved to make that happen since she presumably wasn't born on American soil.

However, because her dad took up proper Japanese citizenship as an immigrant, Lisa herself would legally be considered a natural-born Japanese citizen regardless of her ethnicity. The implications of her dad being legally Japanese are actually interesting because it's really rare to see foreigners apply for citizenship and the reason is simple: you have to turn in your passport for anywhere else you're a citizen, reject that other citizenship (it's doable, even as an American, but it's a complicated process because of our politics), and adopt Japanese as your only citizenship. In fact, you even have to adopt what's considered to be a "proper" Japanese name in kanji, although a lot of people just fudge it and work in their original name through obtuse kanji readings. Assuming Lisa was born after her father became a citizen, she's as Japanese as can be under the law.

So technically you're correct, but there are actually a lot of political undercurrents to the circumstances behind Lisa's character, some of which get subtly referenced by her as time goes on. As you can probably intuit from her arc, though, the law for these sorts of things in Japan is poorly designed in this respect and isn't really designed to help people with circumstances like hers properly integrate into society beyond ensuring her legal rights are technically consistent with those who are more conventionally believed to "native" Japanese by virtue of their ethnicity and appearance. I'm not entirely sure how much new ground, if any, is covered on this topic in EP since I still have yet to play through most of it, but for an added wrinkle, because Japanese law requires that citizens only be citizens to Japan in order to retain that status, she would only be a few years away from having to choose whether to legally be Japanese or American, as is the case for a lot of children of foreigners. If you're crafty, you can technically maintain passports to both, but you can get in serious legal trouble on the Japanese side if you show the wrong passport to the wrong person.

Anyway, hope that helps! I have to think about these sorts of things myself as someone intending to reside there permanently, so if there's anything else that needs explaining on this stuff, I'd be happy to try!

CorvoSol

Yeesh that's confusing, haha. I guess this is why the olympics have people who don't represent any country participating. I didn't even know it was possible to not be a citizen of somewhere.

Nachos

Nobody played it.
That's a shame. What was the problem? Without actually playing it myself, I'm guessing it was just too unwieldy to swap skills around?

Citizenship in Japan is a bit of a tricky matter when it comes to circumstances like Lisa's. Japanese laws on being a natural born citizen don't work quite the same that they do in the US where simply being "born" on American soil nets you a birth certificate and proper citizenship saying you're an American on day one. (Granted, there are other ways to garner this title legally, but it's by far the easiest and most common one.) Because the culture of documenting lineage via formalized family trees actually still holds some legal importance today, you're only entitled to natural born citizenship if at least one of your parents is Japanese themselves. The provision used to specifically be that the father had to be Japanese because classical Confucian philosophy, but it's been either the mother or the father for quite some time. While not applicable for this situation specifically, this even applies in cases with ethnically Japanese children born overseas; they're entitled to have Japanese citizenship and a proper Japanese passport so long as the documentation can be provided about their lineage.

Now as for Lisa, she would normally not be legally considered Japanese if her circumstances were simply "her parents stayed in Japan after coming there to teach English blah blah blah blah and then she was born in Japan." Even if she still only knew Japanese and nothing else, which can be relatively common for children of foreigners who otherwise grow up and spend their lives there, she would technically only have American citizenship because of her parents, although there would be some paperwork involved to get that paperwork in order since she presumably wasn't born on American soil.

However, because her dad took up proper Japanese citizenship as an immigrant, Lisa herself would legally be considered a natural-born Japanese citizen regardless of her ethnicity. The implications of her dad being legally Japanese are actually interesting because it's really rare to see foreigners apply for citizenship and the reason is simple: you have to turn in your passport for anywhere else you're a citizen, reject that other citizenship (it's doable, even as an American, but it's a complicated process because of our politics), and adopt Japanese as your only citizenship. In fact, you even have to adopt what's considered to be a "proper" Japanese name in kanji, although a lot of people just fudge it and work in their original name through obtuse kanji readings. Assuming Lisa was born after her father became a citizen, she's as Japanese as can be under the law.

So technically you're correct, but there are actually a lot of political undercurrents to the circumstances behind Lisa's character, some of which get subtly referenced by her as time goes on. As you can probably intuit from her arc, though, the law for these sorts of things in Japan is poorly designed in this respect and isn't really designed to help people with circumstances like hers properly integrate into society beyond ensuring her legal rights are technically consistent with those who are more conventionally believed to "native" Japanese by virtue of their ethnicity and appearance. I'm not entirely sure how much new ground, if any, is covered on this topic in EP since I still have yet to play through most of it, but for an added wrinkle, because Japanese law requires that citizens only be citizens to Japan in order to retain that status, she would only be a few years away from having to choose whether to legally be Japanese or American, as is the case for a lot of children of foreigners. If you're crafty, you can technically maintain passports to both, but you can get in serious legal trouble on the Japanese side if you show the wrong passport to the wrong person.

Anyway, hope that helps! I have to think about these sorts of things myself as someone intending to reside there permanently, so if there's anything else that needs explaining on this stuff, I'd be happy to try!
Man, it feels like forever since I've read one of your knowledge bombs. Thanks, Pepsi. I'm curious, though; do you know what sorts of repercussions there might be for presenting the wrong passport?

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
That's a shame. What was the problem? Without actually playing it myself, I'm guessing it was just too unwieldy to swap skills around?

Man, it feels like forever since I've read one of your knowledge bombs. Thanks, Pepsi. I'm curious, though; do you know what sorts of repercussions there might be for presenting the wrong passport?

My understanding is that if the slip-up occurs on the Japanese side of things, you can have your Japanese passport confiscated and/or be forced into picking which citizenship you want. I'm not an immigration law expert when it comes to Japan, so there might be some more particulars that I'm missing, but from what I've read based on what's actually happened to people, I think that's more or less what tends to go down. One thing worth noting is that it only becomes an issue once you become a legal adult in Japan, which is age 20. There's nothing illegal about being a dual citizen and having multiple passports up until that point. I personally think these restrictions will lift sooner rather than later as a matter of practicality as the Japanese population diversifies in order to avoid its economy nosediving as a result of ongoing gentrification, but that may just be optimistic thinking on my part since those laws very much so affect me and my prospects personally.

I doubt it's that much of a deal on the American side if you make that mistake, if at all, given that it's obviously codified into our legal system that dual citizenship is okay. I doubt a lot of people working at customs and immigration stations and airports really know about the intricacies of these sorts of issues and understandably so considering that's not within their purview, but yeah.

CorvoSol

As far as I understand, there wasn't that much attraction in making an already-messy game even more genuinely gimmicky.

I love UMvC3, but I don't blame anybody who feels any anger over the sheer amount of dickery involved in this game's development. Like, wasn't there supposed to be a story mode?

Dantis

i need a physical copy like yesterday

Can you get TPBs of manga like you can Western comics?

Can you imagine? Make episodes 1 and 2 the same, except seen from the perspective of the P4 and P3 casts, then Episode 3 for Labrys's backstory and Episode 4 for the finale.

More like twelve episodes. Ten of which are extremely similar, and none of which are the canonical route.

*cough*

And the funny part is, wee didn't even finish the chapter with Teddie/Labrys, there's more of it lol.

That chapter was nuts, and it was going to a pretty crazy route. Does it explain how they can have children? lol

Teddie: professional grease monkey.
In that story, indeed he is!

Glad everyone is enjoying the fanfic readings episode, I wasn't sure how it was going to be received. XD
It was great, I couldn't stop laughing while drawing, thank god there was no one at my house yesterday night.

Now as for Lisa, she would normally not be legally considered Japanese if her circumstances were simply "her parents stayed in Japan after coming there to teach English blah blah blah blah and then she was born in Japan." Even if she still only knew Japanese and nothing else, which can be relatively common for children of foreigners who otherwise grow up and spend their lives there, she would technically only have American citizenship because of her parents, although there would be some paperwork involved to make that happen since she presumably wasn't born on American soil.

Wow, this is really interesting to know. Strange how they do it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom