• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

You guys and your demon and shadow designs. Didn't you hear that they're going to remove the battles from P5 in order to make room for more pop-idols and dating sims?

tumblr_n52uxwKPQy1rbj206o2_400.gif

ENEMY ADVANTAGE

kewlmyc

I do want to see a party member that attacks using wrestling moves. Akihiko had boxing, Chie had kicks, Lisa had both (?); we need someone who'll just pile driver a shadow.

kewlmyc

I hope the MC is a melee fighter this time round. Fed up of swords.

I'd be more than okay with the following for a MC:

dual wield swords
gun
Melee (boxing, martial arts, wrestling, whatever)
knife
scythe (lol)

I agree with no more single swords though. Two in a row was enough, plus they removed Makoto's ability to use whatever which was cool. At least FeMC's Naginata was awesome.

P4 cast using some ghetto-ass weapons like fans and folding chairs is super cool, so having Charlie walking around with his MYTH-LIKE SWORD was just silly. At least Naoto having a gun was contextualised. Charlie should have stolen some brass knuckles from Dojima's closet

Maybe P5 MC can use a baseball bat or something. Worked for Earthbound!

Nachos

dual wield swords
gun
knife
scythe (lol)

I agree with no more single swords though. Two in a row was enough, plus they removed Makoto's ability to use whatever which was cool. At least FeMC's Naginata was awesome.

I'd be all for a wrestling main character, but I didn't think the swords were that bad. One was a smaller one-handed blade, while the other was two-handed. That said, short of bringing back the different attack types, I can't see how they can bring back another sword and keep things visually interesting.

P4 cast using some ghetto-ass weapons like fans and folding chairs is super cool, so having Charlie walking around with his MYTH-LIKE SWORD was just silly. At least Naoto having a gun was contextualised. Charlie should have stolen some brass knuckles from Dojima's closet

Maybe they should just make Junpei the main character of 5.

I'm calling one character using nunchucks or throwing knives in P5.

Other weapons include; bo staff, crossbow, grenades and mma grapples. Would love to see a character armbar a shadow.

PK Gaming

Please. Yosuke's Personas are amazing. Each one is dumber and funnier than the last. If his Personas looked cool, that would be bad.

But Yukari's Persona goes from shadowmaiden on a cow's head to weird ass torso demon.

Anyway, I have some P1 and P2 questions I'd like answered. Mind you I'm only up to my first visit in Cuss High, so don't over spoil me, but here's what I wanna know and what I think I understand as I understand it:

All Persona spoilers follow

Basically, my questions are about Shadow Selves. Kandori refers to Maki, Aki, Mai and Pandora as Shadows of the real Maki, and all of Another Mikage-Cho is essentially Maki's dungeon, since the game flat out says it's a world she created as her ideal version of the city. I suppose that all four Makis represent different aspects of Maki herself. Maki is her idealized self, the Maki we meet in the Sea of Souls is her consciousness and will, Mai is her innocence, Aki is her needs or instincts, and both are her inner child. Pandora is Maki's Shadow Self, since it does the traditional boss monster form and is the one actively trying to replace Maki herself. I say this because while Aki behaves petulantly and Mai tries to hide from who she is, none of Maki's "Shadows" really try to replace her except Pandora. You could argue that Makideal does, but it's pretty reserved and laid back an attempt for a Shadow.

So with regards to P1, how much do I have right? Kandori calls the different Maki's her shadows, but obviously they're not all Shadows in the same sense that say, Yosuke and Chie's Shadows are Shadows. If anything, Makideal feels closer to Ryoji and Teddie than a Shadow Self.

And in Persona 2 I've come across Shadow Men, who are the same person, but afflicted with what appears to be some manner of Apathy Syndrome by the Joker. So is being a Shadow Man akin to being a Shadow Self, or, like I said, closer to Apathy Syndrome? Actually, is this question answerable without spoiling large parts of P2? haha, if it isn't, just let me know if I'm on the right track or not.

Moving on, What the fuck's the deal with Ryoji and Teddie, then? Like, Ryoji is apparently the 13th Shadow that split off from the Mega-Shadow during the Kirijo experiment, and part of Nyx, but he seems to have a personality and will of his own, like Teddie, and Teddie, with a will of his own, generates a Persona and a Shadow Self. I get that Teddie is a miraculous anomaly, but as a Shadow that means he's like, the underbelly of somebody else's mind that developed a mind itself, right? So what, aside from cosmic power levels or what have you, is the difference between Teddie and Ryoji?

And moving past that, I'm still kinda confused on how Marie and Izanami work. Are they actual goddesses? Or are they shadows? Can the human mind give birth to non-shadow non-human entities, then? I mean in Persona 1 the demons are pretty clearly products of Maki's mind, and that feels consistent with SMT4 where they say that Angels and Demons are the created by and fed by the human mind. So is it like Hogfather where human faith creates and sustains them? Or are they entities who have existed since long before?

But I'm sorta rambling now.

Pretty much just:
1. What do the different Makis represent? Are they Shadows in anything resembling the P4 and P4A sense?
2. What the heck are Shadow Men?
3. Can beings born of the human mind be something other than shadows?

1. It's just like you said; the different Makis represent different aspects of herself. P1 goes about shadows in a different way than P4 (With the concept tying closer to jungian definition than P4)
2. Shadow Men are humans who've had their dreams and ambitions stolen from them. So yeah, it's pretty much like Apathy Syndrome, but worse since there's no cure.
3. I'm not sure, though I think that
Izanami/Marie
actual deities that can control shadows.

Re: Teddie & Ryoji

I'm pretty sure Teddie was a regular, enemy-type shadow. He was formed in the TV world via unconscious thought from humans. Like those Tank or Megazoid shadows; I don't think he belongs to just "one person." The enemy shadows you fight are distinct from the ones that are directly born from a person. As for Ryoji... I don't really know the details, but supposedly he's the avatar of "death" which makes him special? Dunno... it's clear that he was influenced by Makoto though.

todd360

dual wield swords
gun
knife
scythe (lol)

Katanas will never lose their appeal to me. I would be fine with any of those other fighting weapons/styles though. Except maybe the knife. Oh and wrestling. Wrestling is kinda lame.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Glad to see you were able to work through those issues, Pepsi. The only suggestion I might have is that it might be better for the subtitles if you changed them from spanning across the entire video and instead breaking it across multiple multiple lines more often. Human eye movement being what it is when reading, we're much more efficient when we can quickly skirt across multiple lines as opposed to one big one. It normally doesn't matter that much in day to day life, but when the subtitles take longer to read relative to how long it takes the Japanese line to be spoken, it would mean needing to pause the video less often.

Other than that niggling thing, great job as always, Pepsi!

It's an understandable complaint, yeah, and I do generally try to balance things across multiple lines after noticing that was ideal for me personally as a reader. The main issue that's hard to get around at times is that some of the original Japanese really is that dense with information and I have a difficult time paring some lines down without sacrificing a critical nuance that's necessary to the rhetorical integrity of what's being said, if that makes sense. Part of the problem could well be that I'm simply just not great at being my own editor and there are definitely always lines that I look at and worry about readability in terms of speed. But given the sheer economic difference in terms of how much space and phonetics often need to be devoted to convey a sentence in Japanese, which is routinely short, and English, which is comparatively lengthy, it's a delicate balancing act. It's a problem that's mostly unique to trailers and other sorts of videos; in most every other translated medium, the consumer can halt progress to some extent until they've fully comprehended something, but videos have to move on mercilessly. Making a hard problem even tougher is the reality that in most normal subtitling situations, it's considered good practice that a given vocal line shouldn't have a corresponding subtitle take up three lines of text. In most instances, if you've written a line that long, you definitely have an editing problem of some sort that also potentially compromises the visual integrity of the video file, even if in select situations it may partly rectify the issue you're talking about.

I'm guessing you're probably referring to the lines of dialog whose subtitles take up two lines edge to edge horizontally, yeah? In my experience, if a line runs that long, it's normally because the original Japanese necessitates a pretty hefty expansion in English since I definitely don't intentionally aim for them to take up that much real estate. I watch pretty much every video I subtitle ad nauseum as I'm working on them to test how well I myself can process such lines within the time frame provided, but of course, I'm just one person and the fact that I know what's coming can significantly bias things. It's a tricky issue to work around and I'm honestly surprised more people don't level that sort of criticism at me, as it's totally valid.

If you have specific lines in mind that you'd like my take on, I'd be happy to discuss them since frankly I don't get enough actually critical feedback on my work, ahaha. I almost always do all of the work on my translation projects by myself partly as a matter of pride, but also just so I have the most control over how the output looks aesthetically, but I probably really should go recruit an editor of some sort one of these days.

Thanks for bringing this up, though! I really need this sort of feedback and I'll definitely be more vigilant about it in future stuff I work on!

LX_Theo

Banned

dual wield swords
gun
knife
scythe (lol)

I'm cool with another single handed sword. just give him a new, interesting stance and fighting style with it. Like holding it back hand or something.

Levito

Banned
Btw everyone, sorry I never explained what happened with Lotus Juice on the podcast. He's super busy, and we weren't able to figure out a time. I'm going to pm him on FB again soon to see if we can make it happen.

Btw everyone, sorry I never explained what happened with Lotus Juice on the podcast. He's super busy, and we weren't able to figure out a time. I'm going to pm him on FB again soon to see if we can make it happen.

TBH, I forgot that you were gonna do that until you mentioned it right now. Though really it's understandable, he's busy and hasn't found time in his schedule to do this and that would also work best for yours as we'll.

Didn't you try to get yuri lowenthal as well? Was any progress made there or did it just fizzle out?

CorvoSol

I was actually hurting someone else with that post, in more ways than one. ;p

It is a shame that there are a lot of issues with the PSP version of Innocent Sin tho. :(

All I'm saying is that if Eternal Punishment is not better than this clunkfest I'm gonna be pretty sore.

I somewhat feel your pain, I'm playing through it for the first time right now too, but I also think you're exaggerating a bit. If you set your fusion spells to Auto in the fusion spells menu, they will use them without asking you to confirm (that is if you select the individual skills in the right order, I haven't ever used a fusion spell by picking it from the menu). The game also remembers the last command you gave to each member, so if you press Auto during battle, they will keep doing the same thing (so if you do Garu-Sonic Punch and Agi-Garu-Agi one turn, every time you auto they will use those skills/fusion spells until you manually change one). If you press start during battle, the game skips the battle animations. Combining those three things, the battle system actually isn't THAT slow, especially if you're using the fusion spells that attack every enemy.

Also, I think you get a map if you press Square while in a dungeon, but I only ever accidentally brought it up once so I'm not sure if you can move it around the floor you're on. If not, I'm guessing they didn't want people to use it to immediately find the exit of a floor

At this point the only way through battles that I've found that isn't a pain is to just do auto battle. Mind you even in auto battle the game is like "Oh you want to do a fusion spell? Please hit x." It's Auto battle. Don't ask me to do shit.

The game also only remembers the last command you put in if you go and toggle that on, which was an annoying thing to find out.

And most dungeons do allow you to hit square and show a map of where you have been so you can keep your head straight as the compass keeps turning around and shit, but this awful dungeon beneath Cuss High for whatever reason doesn't.

As a minor retraction I've realized that it isn't ALL music in this game that is boring as fuck, just the battle music and the "music" that played while I was trapped in that hell hole. I want to turn off voices so I don't have to listen to people yammer in PSX speech during fights, but seeing as how several times there have been important things said in fights without subtitles, I guess it has to stay on.

It isn't that this game is broken, it just has a lot of completely unnecessary things that should've been trimmed out of the PSP version.

Post by John Hardin aka Atlusprime on Reddit :

Quick Heads Up :
"You're probably going to want to fire up your PS3s and keep an eye on the PS Store tomorrow.
...if you're in North America. (Sorry again, EU-bros :( )
And if you're thinking "but wait, I didn't hear anything SMT related on the PlayStation blogcast this weekend," it's because I had to make a quick phone call to keep it secret. :)"

Anyone know anything about this?

I was discussing this with Chet the other day and we came to the same conclusion. I think it would have been better if the characters in P4 stuck to random goofy objects instead of getting actual weapons. Like the early stuff that the protagonist and Yosuke have; golf clubs, kitchen knives, etc. Drop the swords and fancy greaves and what not. And instead of having a bizarre antique arms dealer, they could instead be things that you could find in Junes or something. I think that would have fit better thematically--really sell that the characters aren't typical RPG heroes, they're just a bunch of idiot kids trying to solve a mystery.

Rasen

Banned

Quick Heads Up :
"You're probably going to want to fire up your PS3s and keep an eye on the PS Store tomorrow.
And if you're thinking "but wait, I didn't hear anything SMT related on the PlayStation blogcast this weekend," it's because I had to make a quick phone call to keep it secret. :)"

It's probably Digital Devil Saga or Nocturne. Maybe Raidou 2.

CorvoSol

Speaking of goofy weapons in Persona, my favorite is still FeMC's Hockey stick. It's almost practical, in a way. What Yu lacked was that, I think. Using swords is fine, but like, every third sword of his should've been a golf club or a baseball bat or a chain saw from the gardening department.

Speaking of goofy weapons in Persona, my favorite is still FeMC's Hockey stick. It's almost practical, in a way. What Yu lacked was that, I think. Using swords is fine, but like, every third sword of his should've been a golf club or a baseball bat or a chain saw from the gardening department.

I would love to see a chainsaw or a nail gun as a weapon in the next game.
Cant you also get a mop as a weapon in P3 or is it just a quest item?

kewlmyc

My favorite is the Bus Sign. That was some straight up DIO nonsense right there.

I would love to see a chainsaw or a nail gun as a weapon in the next game.
Cant you also get a mop as a weapon in P3 or is it just a quest item?

Yeah. Ken (and P3/FES MC) can use it.

abrack08

At this point the only way through battles that I've found that isn't a pain is to just do auto battle. Mind you even in auto battle the game is like "Oh you want to do a fusion spell? Please hit x." It's Auto battle. Don't ask me to do shit.

If you go into the Fusion Spell Menu and change from Standby to Auto, it won't ask you to confirm before using the Fusion Spell.

The game also only remembers the last command you put in if you go and toggle that on, which was an annoying thing to find out.
What I meant was, if you put in the commands Agi - Media - Agi- Attack - Garu, then hit auto battle it will keep using those same attacks over and over, I don't believe that needs to be toggled. The more recent Persona games just make everyone physically attack.

And most dungeons do allow you to hit square and show a map of where you have been so you can keep your head straight as the compass keeps turning around and shit, but this awful dungeon beneath Cuss High for whatever reason doesn't.

The dungeon underneath Cuss High is a bit different, because "no one knows where the exit is. Basically
you just keep going around until everyone gets depressed and gives up because they can't find the exit
. If you just hug the left wall it should always bring you to the next door you need to go in, and Mega Blaze (agi-garu-agi) should kill most mobs

I do agree with you for the most part, the game could be much more user friendly, and that is a terrible dungeon. I'm really into the story though... It would be cool if they remade the game with a more modern design (without fundamentally changing it by adding in the calendar or social links, that's not really necessary).

CorvoSol

What I meant was, if you put in the commands Agi - Media - Agi- Attack - Garu, then hit auto battle it will keep using those same attacks over and over, I don't believe that needs to be toggled. The more recent Persona games just make everyone physically attack.

I could've sworn you had to go in and turn this on in the system settings. At least the "remember your last attack" part outside of auto is only turned on from the system. Maybe auto doesn't require it.

^nope

I kind of want to show you the P2EP system to see if you like it better

All I'm saying is that if Eternal Punishment is not better than this clunkfest I'm gonna be pretty sore.

It is my favorite Persona game bar none, but I am sure you will hate it too :D

I was discussing this with Chet the other day and we came to the same conclusion. I think it would have been better if the characters in P4 stuck to random goofy objects instead of getting actual weapons. Like the early stuff that the protagonist and Yosuke have; golf clubs, kitchen knives, etc. Drop the swords and fancy greaves and what not. And instead of having a bizarre antique arms dealer, they could instead be things that you could find in Junes or something. I think that would have fit better thematically--really sell that the characters aren't typical RPG heroes, they're just a bunch of idiot kids trying to solve a mystery.

Plus it would better sell the fact that hitting attack is GENERALLY going to cause less damage than casting spells.

CorvoSol

^nope

I kind of want to show you the P2EP system to see if you like it better

It is my favorite Persona game bar none, but I am sure you will hate it too :D

For clarification's sake, I don't dislike Persona 2's story. That's fine. I just hate how counterintuitive every aspect of playing this is. I'm not even a stranger to playing "old school RPGs". Lord knows I've played my share of old FF and old DQ games, and I even went through at least one Eye of the Beholder as a kid. But this game is just not well designed. It isn't that it's not well made. A badly made game is like FFXIII where they got half way through making it and sold it. It's that the only explanations I have for the way Persona 2 plays is 1) they made some serious mistakes in designing this game or 2) Nobody was on QA the day that you had to scroll down to choose "confirm" after selecting somebody's name from the negotiation list.

Also where in the fuck is the "ignore" option? In P1 if a demon came up and was like "hey buddy you wanna buy some drugs?" I could be like "IGNORE" but in this game demons do not let you do that.

I want to like P2, but goodness, this game is so chunky.

I hope the actually make the shadows terrifying instead of random object with a mask.

I just want more wacky every day stuff as enemies. Gimme like, a pizza cutter shadow and a bottle.

For clarification's sake, I don't dislike Persona 2's story. That's fine. I just hate how counterintuitive every aspect of playing this is. I'm not even a stranger to playing "old school RPGs". Lord knows I've played my share of old FF and old DQ games, and I even went through at least one Eye of the Beholder as a kid. But this game is just not well designed. It isn't that it's not well made. A badly made game is like FFXIII where they got half way through making it and sold it. It's that the only explanations I have for the way Persona 2 plays is 1) they made some serious mistakes in designing this game or 2) Nobody was on QA the day that you had to scroll down to choose "confirm" after selecting somebody's name from the negotiation list.

Also where in the fuck is the "ignore" option? In P1 if a demon came up and was like "hey buddy you wanna buy some drugs?" I could be like "IGNORE" but in this game demons do not let you do that.

I want to like P2, but goodness, this game is so chunky.

I just want more wacky every day stuff as enemies. Gimme like, a pizza cutter shadow and a bottle.

The thing is, Atlus didnt strike Megaten gold until they got to Soul Hackers. I feel like almost every modern Megaten is the way it is thanks to Nocturne and Soul Hackers. They were still working on trying to find a formula and gameplay ideas that worked back then.

"I just want more wacky every day stuff as enemies. Gimme like, a pizza cutter shadow and a bottle."

But I want more grimdark enemies :( (not even kidding :p) I want them to actually live up to the concept of "Shadows"

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Those were all I ever used when I played my FemMC's route.

Pepsiman is on GAF now! =D

And Hot Coldman's back on GAF =O, welcome back =)

Gonna go back a few pages on Persona GAF's reaction to P4 Golden Anime announcement, was it glorious =P?

pan-hime

Quick Heads Up :

"Don't recall saying it was a PS2 title..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom