• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrack08

If you're using that GameFAQs guide that someone linked earlier (here), he tells you to hug either the left or right hand wall for each room/floor, makes it pretty easy.

EDIT: Oh the bomb shelter... yeah that was lame. I thought you meant a different cave

CorvoSol

I think part of the problem is that after all Persona 1's bullshit I should not have jumped right into Persona 2. By golly this game is some how worse to play than Persona 1. It's not in any way difficult, but to compensate it is INSANELY slow, the music is numbingly generic, every fucking thing requires two menus, and forced demon negotiations can go suck a barbed dick.

Like, what kind of fucking retard designed Fusion spells? "Okay so there's this option on the menu for you to use a fusion spell. You choose the spell and target from the menu, then you have to tell the menu "no I don't want to pick another fusion spell" regardless of whether you could even make one, then when battle starts you fucking wasted your time because we'll ask you again if you want to do a fusion spell and completely ignore the target you already fucking picked!"

Holy shit. If you're going to make the encounter rate this fucking high, have the decency to make battles last less time.

This isn't fun. This is monotonous, repetitive and boring. This is the first time playing a MegaTen game where I've been bored, and we're talking "Jesus I have to play Persona 2 now? Guuuuuuuh. Lemme go see if there are any chores to do" bored.

No wonder people love Persona 3. What a fucking revolution that game is compared to this.

I can't even access my map in this shit dungeon. What is even the point of having a map, then? This whole game feels designed around being as clunky as possible. I'm repeating myself here, but Persona 1 was so much more fun to play than this. As in, at multiple points tonight I have said "Maybe I should quit this "game." I'd rather be playing any other MegaTen game I've played than run another lap through this dungeon."

No wonder people love Persona 3. What a fucking revolution that game is compared to this.

I rage quit Persona 3 when it first came out out of disappointment, make of that what you will :p

Oh yea you played P3P, I bet if you played normal P3 (even FES) you would hate that one too!

Sophia

It kind of sucks there's no sequel game that fixed a lot of the menu issues introduced in the PSP version of Innocent Sin.

*cough*

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Did you really subtitle something that's on screen for a mere few frames? That's some hardcore dedication right there. o_o

We are not worth of such dedication. ;_;

I'm of the opinion that all information available to Japanese viewers should be available in English as well and I do my best to uphold that no matter how much of a toll it takes on my sanity! ;D

I'm also just very prideful and meticulous as a writer and that carries over into my translation work across every medium I work in. I worry as much about how my translations are visually presented as I do the actual translations. Thankfully I've gotten a lot faster over the years at using Aegisub and translating in general, so the itty bitty details I like to put in normally don't take that much time. This video was just an exception because of how much was actually there; I don't think even the previous major trailers that clocked in at similar times had this much to sift through.

But it's super flattering to know people are noticing that stuff! There's a lot of good little stuff to sift through and I thought it might be fun if English fans could get in on the fun. :D

Dantis

I'm of the opinion that all information available to Japanese viewers should be available in English as well and I do my best to uphold that no matter how much of a toll it takes on my sanity! ;D

I'm also just very prideful and meticulous as a writer and that carries over into my translation work across every medium I work in. I worry as much about how my translations are visually presented as I do the actual translations. Thankfully I've gotten a lot faster over the years at using Aegisub and translating in general, so the itty bitty details I like to put in normally don't take that much time. This video was just an exception because of how much was actually there; I don't think even the previous major trailers that clocked in at similar times had this much to sift through.

But it's super flattering to know people are noticing that stuff! There's a lot of good little stuff to sift through and I thought it might be fun if English fans could get in on the fun. :D

It's really, really cool that you translate all these. It's very much appreciated.

Squire

Banned
1/2.5 scale. This is probably a CG mockup of the final thing, though.

UKAu7he.jpg

http://akibahobby-c2.sakura.ne.jp/image.php/20140505/t040.html

Shahadan

Is there a place for us new P4G players to discuss things? I'm afraid of spoilers ;_;
I'm past the camping trip and really liking it atm, but once again I feel obligated to use a guide to not miss a bajillion things, which is annoying but whatever.
This time at least there is the Voice button to sometimes tell me when something is available in a random corner of the town.

Kanji's dungeon was hilarious and disturbing at the same time, was really surprised :lol:
Also I have a question about Yosuke. Has he any redeeming qualities later in the game/Slink ? Because he's a major dick and creep and it's getting old and annoying FAST. I miss Junpei.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
It's really, really cool that you translate all these. It's very much appreciated.

It's honestly a much-needed way to kill time, too. Deep down I wish I was doing more of this sort of work on a salary, but if the choice is either doing something I love for free versus spending my days just twiddling my thumbs living the post-graduate doldrums, I'll happily keep doing the former 100 percent of the time. I got into translation in part because I love writing, but didn't feel like trying my hand at the poor novelist lifestyle, and kind words like you have been very good at telling me that I'm on the right track. I'm not perfect, but if people come away enjoying what I do, that's good enough for me. :)

kewlmyc

I've already seens this guy do some persona videos, how somebody explain me why?
If people are paying him, why do they use him?
It's already funny watching it without a clue, but I want to understand more the behind joke.

iirc, 4chan found this guy (Rog) and Tyrone (the "Chie" lover in the persona video you're referencing) who both have a company where they make business videos for you. For x amount of dollars they'll say whatever you want with whatever background you want. Cue the abuse of this by 4chan, which then started to catch on everywhere else. Rog and Tyrone don't mind at all since they're making serious bank right now.

iirc, 4chan found this guy (Rog) and Tyrone (the "Chie" lover in the persona video you're referencing) who both have a company where they make business videos for you. For x amount of dollars they'll say whatever you want with whatever background you want. Cue the abuse of this by 4chan, which then started to catch on everywhere else. Rog and Tyrone don't mind at all since they're making serious bank right now.

Thanks for the explanation kewlmyc!
Yeah I could see even having fun with all this videos if they are making so much money from them.
And the internet has make Tyrone a Chie lover? lol

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I think you just blew my mind.

And possibly have too much spare cash.

Why do people think these things cost so much money?

These videos would have never caught on like they did if they cost more than the 5-15 dollars it cost to make them.

The transition of them to 3D should be interesting.

I'm rather interested in seeing the new enemy designs to be fair. Will we get an entirely new roster or will it be the usual? (dancer, table, crow, hand, hulk hogan etc).

Also, what will the bosses be like? I can't imagine them repeating the 'other self's theme of 4, but i don't just want the 'its in the way theme of 3.

Either way it's going to be interesting to say the very least.

abrack08

I think part of the problem is that after all Persona 1's bullshit I should not have jumped right into Persona 2. By golly this game is some how worse to play than Persona 1. It's not in any way difficult, but to compensate it is INSANELY slow, the music is numbingly generic, every fucking thing requires two menus, and forced demon negotiations can go suck a barbed dick.

Like, what kind of fucking retard designed Fusion spells? "Okay so there's this option on the menu for you to use a fusion spell. You choose the spell and target from the menu, then you have to tell the menu "no I don't want to pick another fusion spell" regardless of whether you could even make one, then when battle starts you fucking wasted your time because we'll ask you again if you want to do a fusion spell and completely ignore the target you already fucking picked!"

Holy shit. If you're going to make the encounter rate this fucking high, have the decency to make battles last less time.

This isn't fun. This is monotonous, repetitive and boring. This is the first time playing a MegaTen game where I've been bored, and we're talking "Jesus I have to play Persona 2 now? Guuuuuuuh. Lemme go see if there are any chores to do" bored.

I can't even access my map in this shit dungeon. What is even the point of having a map, then? This whole game feels designed around being as clunky as possible. I'm repeating myself here, but Persona 1 was so much more fun to play than this. As in, at multiple points tonight I have said "Maybe I should quit this "game." I'd rather be playing any other MegaTen game I've played than run another lap through this dungeon."

I somewhat feel your pain, I'm playing through it for the first time right now too, but I also think you're exaggerating a bit. If you set your fusion spells to Auto in the fusion spells menu, they will use them without asking you to confirm (that is if you select the individual skills in the right order, I haven't ever used a fusion spell by picking it from the menu). The game also remembers the last command you gave to each member, so if you press Auto during battle, they will keep doing the same thing (so if you do Garu-Sonic Punch and Agi-Garu-Agi one turn, every time you auto they will use those skills/fusion spells until you manually change one). If you press start during battle, the game skips the battle animations. Combining those three things, the battle system actually isn't THAT slow, especially if you're using the fusion spells that attack every enemy.

Also, I think you get a map if you press Square while in a dungeon, but I only ever accidentally brought it up once so I'm not sure if you can move it around the floor you're on. If not, I'm guessing they didn't want people to use it to immediately find the exit of a floor

Caladrius

The transition of them to 3D should be interesting.

9.2 million polygons

Minimum

WTF is this?

The real worst design of SMT IV.

Haven't gotten this far in SMTIV so I'm looking forward to it. I do like the Gold and Green demon in SMTIV though. So much so that I bought his DLC armor. The red demon with the horns just looked silly though.

Koga Saburo is great. I liked Asmodeus, but they seriously needed to tone down the amount of visual noise. On first glance you can't tell what the heck is going on.

Koga Saburo, Yamato Takeru and Omoikane should stay in later games.

Most of the rest are disposable.

Trigger

I'm rather interested in seeing the new enemy designs to be fair. Will we get an entirely new roster or will it be the usual? (dancer, table, crow, hand, hulk hogan etc).

I want to be hopeful and say that it'll be all new, but I know deep in my heart that my MC will be slashing hand and hulk hogan shadows in P5.

Nachos

Ier than usual for a whole host of reasons that were mostly beyond my control because somebody at Atlus messed up in uploading the original video, but my subs for the new trailer are finally done~

Sorry for the wait!

Time to go collapse~

Glad to see you were able to work through those issues, Pepsi. The only suggestion I might have is that it might be better for the subtitles if you changed them from spanning across the entire video and instead breaking it across multiple multiple lines more often. Human eye movement being what it is when reading, we're much more efficient when we can quickly skirt across multiple lines as opposed to one big one. It normally doesn't matter that much in day to day life, but when the subtitles take longer to read relative to how long it takes the Japanese line to be spoken, it would mean needing to pause the video less often.

Other than that niggling thing, great job as always, Pepsi!

That's mostly right. Fiver is basically a website where the owners enlist a group of actors and other such entertainers to perform personalized videos for a (relatively) small fee. Rog and Tyrone are just two of many actors on the site, but they became pretty popular, due in part to how absurd the messages could get.

Come to think of it, I want to say that another GAFer is registered to do the same thing through them.

I HOPE YOU'RE READY FOR MORE OF THIS
I actually don't think it's that bad. The main problem is that the design was just pulled out of the artist's butt and has nothing to do with the real Michizane.

Wait, are you saying that's an example of a good design or a bad design? Because, aside from the sword and a few details of the head, I really like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom