• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not what I said. I said "uh, no?" as in "uh, I don't see why it has to be Rise either?" I don't see how simplistic your viewpoint has to be to think that a single character has to save the day.

I just assumed it would be Yu because it's Yu as in the main protagonist of P4 and the only protagonist in the game. Not sure why it would be weird to assume he would be the one who saved the day. I also thought you were saying no to Rise, my bad.

How else would you react to a friend returning to visit during vacation? He hadn't died and then come back from the dead; he just left on a train, with the promise that they would keep in touch and meet each other again.

I'm not saying they acted abnormally in P4A, just in P4. I find it odd they went from abnormal (running after train crying like their life was over "If you ever need us we'll come running!") to normal (Oh hey, you're back)

Also, on a unrelated note, I seem to remember from either P3 or P4, that the main reason Makoto and Yu made as many friends as they did was because people were drawn to their wild card. Was this mentioned in either game, or did I just make that up?

Pretty sure Parasoul in Skullgirls was lightly inspired by Mitsuru's design anyway, even has a Mitsuru pallete option.

Sadly said color, as awesome as it is, will be edited slightly in the next patch with a few other things to avoid any potential hangups with the Red Cross (the cross necklace in the color is red like Mitsuru's bow) :S

todd360

Don't worry, she won't

They never do :'(

VYoHtUK.jpg

Moonlight

Banned
Which one are those again? The DS ones with the green haired lady? I confuse Devil Survivor and Soul Hackers in my head CONSTANTLY. I do not know why.
MIDevilSurvivor_cover.JPG

Devil_Survivor_2_cover.jpg

They're about getting trapped in a quarantined Tokyo with demons appearing everywhere and defying your predicted fate.

Meia

I'm not saying they acted abnormally in P4A, just in P4. I find it odd they went from abnormal (running after train crying like their life was over "If you ever need us we'll come running!") to normal (Oh hey, you're back)

Also, on a unrelated note, I seem to remember from either P3 or P4, that the main reason Makoto and Yu made as many friends as they did was because people were drawn to their wild card. Was this mentioned in either game, or did I just make that up?

You're really undervaluing how much of an impact this group seeing the Midnight Channel again has. They were all excited to see Yu again for the first time in awhile, most of their story mode at the beginning is just about this. Then that first night the Midnight Channel comes on again.

It's like, imagine you went through hell to put a stop to it, and saving everyone you could. It's over, and has been for months, to a point where you don't even check to see if it's on anymore cause it can't possibly be. Then you hear rumors it's in fact on again. You check, and it's on, and you're ON it. That would throw anyone for a damn loop.

They're happy to see Yu again, but even he acknowledges in his that work comes first.

In terms of your second one, Yu's main persona being Izanagi is somewhat telling in terms of drawing people to him, not to mention
Izanami flat out tells you that your power drew others to you to get through the fog.

arue

MIDevilSurvivor_cover.JPG

Devil_Survivor_2_cover.jpg

They're about getting trapped in a quarantined Tokyo with demons appearing everywhere and defying your predicted fate.

DeSu games are great. You should try it one day, Corvo. It has compendium, manual skill sets in fusion, and no demon negotiation. Also, multiple endings and great characters (to me at least).

I can't stand the DS artist haha. His people look so weird.

The girls' breasts look like inflatable balloons :p

Acid08

Banned
I bought it and ended up selling it. I just couldn't get into it.

Watched some of the anime as well. Didn't finish it. I wasn't a fan of the story.
I've heard good and bad things but it sounds interesting enough to pick up. Need more non-Nintendo 3DS games :p

Still need to finish FFX, X-2, 999, and Tearaway before I even think about playing it. Still need to go back to Fire Emblem as well.

Caladrius

That way of thinking has always been stupid to me. It's a game where you literally fight people on a 2d plane other human competitively players on a 2d plane, not sure why it wouldn't count as a fighting game. Even the Naruto games count as fighting games.

Because No True Scotsman would wear a green kilt.

CorvoSol

What does that even mean?

It's been a long time since I posted on GameFAQs but the argument was that Smash was a competitive platformer because the object was to push the other guy off the edge and not to empty his health bar or some such thing.

LX_Theo

Banned
It's been a long time since I posted on GameFAQs but the argument was that Smash was a competitive platformer because the object was to push the other guy off the edge and not to empty his health bar or some such thing.

That's silly. Maybe if the method of pushing the other off wasn't fighting, they'd have a point.

Nachos

Guys, I'm going to laugh if the announcement is just a PS3 theme. It qualifies as not being a PS2 game, right?

Btw everyone, sorry I never explained what happened with Lotus Juice on the podcast. He's super busy, and we weren't able to figure out a time. I'm going to pm him on FB again soon to see if we can make it happen.

No worries. I was looking forward to seeing how that might turn out, but it's not like I'll get my visa, go to Canada, and protest you with pitchforks made of maple trees over it. I'm just grateful that you've been making these as frequently as you have.

EO has amazing dungeons, the main thing I like about them.

edit:I really dislike the art in those games. PQ isn't as bad to me so I'm hoping to really get into that one.
Yeah, that's always my one complaint. It's why I'll never use a female dark hunter or any of its equivalents. Crosses a pretty fine line for me.

It's an understandable complaint, yeah, and I do generally try to balance things across multiple lines after noticing that was ideal for me personally as a reader. The main issue that's hard to get around at times is that some of the original Japanese really is that dense with information and I have a difficult time paring some lines down without sacrificing a critical nuance that's necessary to the rhetorical integrity of what's being said, if that makes sense. Part of the problem could well be that I'm simply just not great at being my own editor and there are definitely always lines that I look at and worry about readability in terms of speed. But given the sheer economic difference in terms of how much space and phonetics often need to be devoted to convey a sentence in Japanese, which is routinely short, and English, which is comparatively lengthy, it's a delicate balancing act. It's a problem that's mostly unique to trailers and other sorts of videos; in most every other translated medium, the consumer can halt progress to some extent until they've fully comprehended something, but videos have to move on mercilessly. Making a hard problem even tougher is the reality that in most normal subtitling situations, it's considered good practice that a given vocal line shouldn't have a corresponding subtitle take up three lines of text. In most instances, if you've written a line that long, you definitely have an editing problem of some sort that also potentially compromises the visual integrity of the video file, even if in select situations it may partly rectify the issue you're talking about.

I'm guessing you're probably referring to the lines of dialog whose subtitles take up two lines edge to edge horizontally, yeah? In my experience, if a line runs that long, it's normally because the original Japanese necessitates a pretty hefty expansion in English since I definitely don't intentionally aim for them to take up that much real estate. I watch pretty much every video I subtitle ad nauseum as I'm working on them to test how well I myself can process such lines within the time frame provided, but of course, I'm just one person and the fact that I know what's coming can significantly bias things. It's a tricky issue to work around and I'm honestly surprised more people don't level that sort of criticism at me, as it's totally valid.

If you have specific lines in mind that you'd like my take on, I'd be happy to discuss them since frankly I don't get enough actually critical feedback on my work, ahaha. I almost always do all of the work on my translation projects by myself partly as a matter of pride, but also just so I have the most control over how the output looks aesthetically, but I probably really should go recruit an editor of some sort one of these days.

Thanks for bringing this up, though! I really need this sort of feedback and I'll definitely be more vigilant about it in future stuff I work on!
No, no, totally understandable. I actually just started learning Japanese in my spare time, and even if I'm still working on memorizing the kana and rudimentary grammar, I can already tell that Japanese generally has a better economy of expression than English does. So, I get where you're coming from and can't really say I envy that kind of tough task. I'm sure your degree of fluency mitigates that somewhat, but on the other hand, that just makes you more acutely aware of any potential blind spots.

And sure, I'd have to wait until I have some more free time, but I'll go back and see if I can comment on anything you've done for the trailers - not because I've got some bone to pick or anything, but because the feedback might help. I remember you saying that Junpei's lines were throwing you for a loop for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom