• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whattttt. Man, I feel like Atlus makes the weirdest decisions, from "pointerman" to personas in PQ being just pictures that cut-in. Maybe I'd appreciate it more if I was into SMT from the beginning.

At least I see the battles are in 3D, that was another complaint of mine for SMT IV. I think I'll give it a shot for $10.

hao chi

Is Nocturne worth playing? I somewhat enjoyed SMT IV, but was turned off by the laziness of the world map (moving a spinning cursor around). I'm guessing that was just because of the limitations of the 3DS but still.

I initially thought world map was dumb as well, but when I thought about how you're traveling between citie and how pretty much the only other option would have been fast travel, I decided I'm okay with it.

If you really think about, it's kind of like how in P3 you choose destinations on the city map and fast travel there. The area is too big for you to actually walk there, so the world map is a better alternative.

So let me get this straight here:

So because Rise's openly made light of the fact that her measurements are available to the public, she's shameless? Poking fun at an incredibly sexist/demeaning practice is shameless? Is that the logic at work here? Because I think you're being incredibly harsh here. Like, to an unreasonable degree.

Once again, Rise making light of the fact she's objectified from is not shameless. It's pretty obvious that she's joking around, because she's comfortable with her self image and is obviously poking fun. (And it's worth considering the context; she brings it up because of Teddie's hospital shenanigans).

Fanservice and wish fulfillment operate independently of a character's personality or intentions. It has to do with what situations the writing puts a character in. A lot of the group interactions in this game are structured in this way: something is brought up, a series of reactions to show their differences. In this case, Yosuke brought up measurements, Chie was uncomfortable, Rise readily says them, Naoto takes the paper away in embarrassment. Rise being put at the forefront of this particular situation is what I'm talking about.

I mentioned the animation at the beginning of the game because it exactly embodies what I speak of. Rise, the character, has nothing to do with you seeing the Calorie drink commercial. But you as a player, with no prior knowledge of Rise, is given this movie of her in a bikini at the beginning of the game.

hiimdaisy's persona 4 comic can showcase how ridiculous this is better than me:

c2lmu5t.png

7RKjsSn.png

Yukiko's inability to to cook doesn't preclude her from being a textbook nadeshiko when she practically embodies it.
My intention isn't to discredit Yukiko's social link, because I don't it's that shameless, but to argue that Yukiko's slink is any less of a wish fulfillment than Rise's is frankly absurd.

Why, because it contains romance? The character among the Investigative Team, after Rise, that panders to you the most isn't even a girl.

It's Yosuke.

It's something you often see in Harem manga. If there are any male characters present in the story, outside of the main character, they don't challenge the MC for the alpha male spot. Yosuke isn't better than P4MC at anything. And often times in the story, despite calling each other partner, his parallel situations are worst off for him. The result is you looking better in comparison.

If Yosuke is the BFF of the story and Rise is the most pushed love interest, then it makes sense that they would adhere to P4MC's gary stuness the most. The key here is idealized situations that make you feel awesome. Shitty food doesn't make you feel awesome. Yukiko being an uncomfortable ditz doesn't make you feel awesome. Yukiko saying you need to change your name to Amagi if you seriously plan on continuing their relationship, isn't awesome. When Yukiko is pushed as a love interest in that social link, she isn't idealized as Rise.

Finally, Yukiko embodying the yamato nadeshiko trope has less to do with the P4MC and more to do with Yukiko being contrasted to Chie, who is everything but that trope. They are associated with each other for the entirety of the game.

Again, please refrain from putting words in my mouth. I said it was one of the most genuine friendship's in the game, not the most. She uses it several times throughout the game (off the top of my head, she uses it during the news years eve sequence and a random food court meeting sequence). Upon retrospect, yeah it might not be an affectionate nickname, but regardless, trying to pigeonhole her playful nickname in the same category as Yosuke's disingenuous jabs is asinine. There's a very clear difference between the harmless nickname that Rise gives to Kanji and hurtful jabs that Yosuke constantly throws out. In Yosuke's case, nearly every single joke i've seen falls under the latter... he definitely crosses the line. Rise's "nickname" simply isn't on that level... It sends a completely different message. Kanji is obviously unnerved and bothered by Yosuke's jokes (even Chie has to specifically point that out to Yosuke) but it's patently obvious that there's no deeper meaning in Rise's jabs.

I forgot about that time Chie intervened. You may be right.

I can give my opinion about the Yosuke homophobia thing but it's another topic in itself.

As for your second point, allow me to elaborate. She tries to set him up with Naoto during a study group meeting, and once again during the ski trip because she realizes he has a big crush on her. It's true that she's constantly crashing at his place (much to Kanji's chagrin), but I still think that's a symptom of her being a thoughtful friend. Aside from the investigation group, Kanji is pretty much friendless, and he's the type of person who seeks company/acceptance. And come on, Kanji is the second biggest tsundere in the game, so it's a given he'd be overly reticent to her company.
TL;DR She knows he's still a huge loner, so she's trying to help him break out of his shell (as evinced during the P4G shopping trip event). And then there's the band even that you yourself brought up.

I know that scene you refer to. Was Rise paring up Yosuke and Chie also helping them out, or was it just teasing/banter?

I think the problem is that I take what she says at face value and don't think much of it. I could see us both being right, in that she's egocentric but caring at the same time.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130704045826/danganronpa/images/d/d6/5%28138%29.png[img]

I (grudgingly) concede, to a certain degree. That said, I found her social link to be enjoyable, in spite of the repetitiveness. (Especially her P4G exclusive Slink)[/QUOTE]

Given the game's theme, a celebrity character is VERY appropriate. Their career is a commoditized public image. They are subject to rumors, misrepresentation...things that the game commonly slams. But the celebrity representation in the game has to be a widely adored kouhai who has insatiable hots for you. Like, I don't think it's a coincidence that they gave Rise a flirty personality compared to the rest of the girls.

The idea behind her character development isn't bad at all. It's just executed poorly, which makes it disappointing. I think if Rise weren't the Lovers arcana of this game, it would have gotten better direction.

Soriku

Is Nocturne worth playing? I somewhat enjoyed SMT IV, but was turned off by the laziness of the world map (moving a spinning cursor around). I'm guessing that was just because of the limitations of the 3DS but still.

For Atlus standards, SMT IV's world map isn't lazy lol.

Jintor

Doesn't Rise's pre-game advertisement tie in to the whole TV motif of people only seeing what they choose to believe

@Ridley I meant more like what tools are you using to get the shapes and stuff. Pen? Shape fill?

Lunar15

Are the characters in Persona 4 pandering to the player? Yes. Are they still pretty well written aside from that? Yes. (Well, the writing surrounding Naoto was always a little weak, in my opinion)

What's the problem here?

Whattttt. Man, I feel like Atlus makes the weirdest decisions, from "pointerman" to personas in PQ being just pictures that cut-in. Maybe I'd appreciate it more if I was into SMT from the beginning.

At least I see the battles are in 3D, that was another complaint of mine for SMT IV. I think I'll give it a shot for $10.

If presentation value is high on top of your list of priorities, Atlus games are not really for you.

Guess Who

Banned
If presentation value is high on top of your list of priorities, Atlus games are not really for you.

On one hand, I get that, but on the other, more recent Persona games and Catherine have such great presentation that, if those are the games that got you into Atlus, it can be hard to swallow the drop in some of their other titles.

Lunar15

On one hand, I get that, but on the other, more recent Persona games and Catherine have such great presentation that, if those are the games that got you into Atlus, it can be hard to swallow the drop in some of their other titles.

Well, maybe presentation values aren't exactly what I mean. Atlus games are definitely stylish, but they actually put everything into a pretty tight package. Overworlds are limited, a lot of choices are made through menus, there's not much exploration, etc.

Doesn't Rise's pre-game advertisement tie in to the whole TV motif of people only seeing what they choose to believe

Yeah I mentioned that before. It's not really important at this point.

Are the characters in Persona 4 pandering to the player? Yes. Are they still pretty well written aside from that? Yes. (Well, the writing surrounding Naoto was always a little weak, in my opinion)

What's the problem here?

Nothing. I'm just criticizing the writing of one character, the same way you are.

Jintor

I don't really have a clue what you're actually saying at this point other than that you think Rise's shameless for some reason

Lunar15

Yeah I mentioned that before. It's not really important at this point.

Nothing. I'm just criticizing the writing of one character, the same way you are.

But Rise is awesome! D:

I dunno, I get all of your criticisms, but I like Rise because at first she really seems like she's going to just be flirty and all over the protagonist, but she does a lot more than just that and has her own stuff going on. She has chemistry with the other characters. I get what you're saying: she's wish fulfillment. I won't deny that. All of the characters have some degree of that. But I like the characters because ultimately they're more than that, and as a result feel like characters instead of purely being pandering.

Nachos

So guys, I need some help. I showed the drawing to a friend and he told me that he didn't look too much like Seinfeld because his chin was too small.
I decided to try a longer one.
Which one do you prefer:
seinfeldwip2tnczq.png
Definitely prefer the second one.

Wait, I'm not sure what your complaint is. Is it the world map? Had they actually made it something you could explore, it would have been a huge undertaking, especially when you consider that it's modeled so closely after the real Tokyo. The only reason why they let you explore the cities in Persona is because they're relatively small areas, and those aren't even physically connected. Come to think of it, SMT4 has way more explorable areas than P3 and P4 have, if you're just considering hand-modeled stuff.

You know, that part of SMT4 was not what I found disappointing in terms of gameplay. Considering the beginning of the game had me thinking I'd stumbled backward in time to like, some ancient RPG where you clicked an area to go there, I was pretty okay with that.

What disappointed me was two main things: 1) nobody but main guy had a character model. Everything was sprites. Which, I mean, at least they were pretty good sprites and I can live with that, but was unexpected and a let down and 2) the completely random and arbitrary way some characters would get full portraits while others never did. Or rather, "Corvo was butthurt that Nozomi never got her own official artwork."

I had other complaints with the game at the time, but some of them I have reconsidered and others I've realized I was just not quite expecting. Like I didn't really enjoy the talking avatars at the time, but now I'm pretty okay with it because I've come to realize that 1) it's better than FE:A's one or two voiced lines way of doing it and 2) that's how P3 and P4 do it and I don't mind it there.

I think part of the problem and much of the whining I did during SMT4 was on account of I'd never played an SMT game before and I went into it blind. I expect that when I play it again in the future, I will enjoy it a great deal more. Nothing can be done about the fact that Jonathon and Walter are douchenozzles, but if I tell myself they're meant to be ones like Argath in FFT, I'll be at peace with that, too.
I'm still convinced that Doi just had it out for her. I really like the sprites (as in, not the portraits), but it'd explain why Kaga of all people got one.

Agreed. Persona and Catherine have such great presentation that SMT IV felt like a huge step back

Wait, I'm not sure what your complaint is. Is it the world map? Had they actually made it something you could explore, it would have been a huge undertaking, especially when you consider that it's modeled so closely after the real Tokyo. The only reason why they let you explore the cities in Persona is because they're relatively small areas, and those aren't even physically connected. Come to think of it, SMT4 has way more explorable areas than P3 and P4 have, if you're just considering hand-modeled stuff.

My complaint is that SMT IV gives us an unnecessary world map that's as visually unappealing as it is confusing. I felt as though it was rushed in (hence the spinning cursor thing) just to artificially raise the difficulty while you go searching for your next quest. Maybe I could see its purpose if the game was non-linear, but it's not. Interconnected dungeons that kept you in the dungeon-crawling 3D perspective would have been a nicer fit (like pre-
Tokyo
), rather then just blindly moving your cursor along paths trying to find the subway that will lead you from dungeon A to dungeon B

I don't really have a clue what you're actually saying at this point other than that you think Rise's shameless for some reason

If you don't agree with me that's fine. But you obviously haven't been following this and it's kind of rude to just shun it because it's something you don't want to hear.

But Rise is awesome! D:

I dunno, I get all of your criticisms, but I like Rise because at first she really seems like she's going to just be flirty and all over the protagonist, but she does a lot more than just that and has her own stuff going on. She has chemistry with the other characters. I get what you're saying: she's wish fulfillment. I won't deny that. All of the characters have some degree of that. But I like the characters because ultimately they're more than that, and as a result feel like characters instead of purely being pandering.

We more or less have the same view. I guess it's just about where you draw the line.

PK Gaming

Fanservice and wish fulfillment operate independently of a character's personality or intentions. It has to do with what situations the writing puts a character in. A lot of the group interactions in this game are structured in this way: something is brought up, a series of reactions to show their differences. In this case, Yosuke brought up measurements, Chie was uncomfortable, Rise readily says them, Naoto takes the paper away in embarrassment. Rise being put at the forefront of this particular situation is what I'm talking about.

You have the wrong idea of how the scene went down:

Yosuke: Look... If you're gonna blab it all... You might as well tell us girls' measurements!
Rise: Sure, go right ahead. My profile's been public knowledge for ages.

All she did was react to Yosuke's absurd suggestion. That's it. She did not give out her measurements, and she certainly did not bring them up as a "joke." She kept a cool head and simply stated an objective truth. Your previous allegation was nothing but fiction.

I mentioned the animation at the beginning of the game because it exactly embodies what I speak of. Rise, the character, has nothing to do with you seeing the Calorie drink commercial. But you as a player, with no prior knowledge of Rise, is given this movie of her in a bikini at the beginning of the game.

hiimdaisy's persona 4 comic can showcase how ridiculous this is better than me:
Again, I'll have to challenge your logic here. What you're arguing isn't even a matter of interpretation - the game is crystal clear on the fact that Rise's commercial is a shallow (and inaccurate) look into her character. You keep trying to attribute that scene to Rise's character, in attempt to paint her as shameless celebrity caricature, when it's purpose is to tie back to one of the major themes of Persona 4 (false impressions and what not). Persona can be obtuse at times, but this is the one matter it was very clear on. I have no idea why you brought up Hiimdaisy, her comic's are incredibly facetious.

Why, because it contains romance? The character among the Investigative Team, after Rise, that panders to you the most isn't even a girl.

If Yosuke is the BFF of the story and Rise is the most pushed love interest, then it makes sense that they would adhere to P4MC's gary stuness the most. The key here is idealized situations that make you feel awesome. Shitty food doesn't make you feel awesome. Yukiko being an uncomfortable ditz doesn't make you feel awesome. Yukiko saying you need to change your name to Amagi if you seriously plan on continuing their relationship, isn't awesome. When Yukiko is pushed as a love interest in that social link, she isn't idealized as Rise.

No, because her s.link is structured around romance from the get go. The most beautiful/popular girl in school who has the distinction being "an impregnable fortress", suddenly falls in love with you? Oh and did I mention she's incredibly smart and an heiress to a semi-famous inn as well? How is that not idealized? Her poor cooking and spacey behavior does not detract from that at all. In fact, you shouldn't judge a character based on your own values; Yukiko being an uncomfortable ditz/bad cook might be endearing to other people. Yukiko is (for all intents and purposes) the ‘pure’ girlfriend for all your waifu needs (it's important to consider that Persona 4 is a japanese game first, and the nadeshiko trope is extremely appealing there).

I never intended to get in a pissing competition with you in regards to who's more shameless, but it is what it is.

Finally, Yukiko embodying the yamato nadeshiko trope has less to do with the P4MC and more to do with Yukiko being contrasted to Chie, who is everything but that trope. They are associated with each other for the entirety of the game.

Regardless of the intention, she embodies the trope to a T. Hence why she's the ideal wife.

I forgot about that time Chie intervened. You may be right.

I can give my opinion about the Yosuke homophobia thing but it's another topic in itself.

I wouldn't mind reading it someday.

I know that scene you refer to. Was Rise paring up Yosuke and Chie also helping them out, or was it just teasing/banter?

Once again: You have the wrong idea of what happened.

Rise asks why Yosuke and Chie don't date. She's not doing them a favor, she was asking a simple question.
I think the problem is that I take what she says at face value and don't think much of it. I could see us both being right, in that she's egocentric but caring at the same time.

I have a lot of respect for Rise Kujikawa. Idol characters are almost universal unappealing for me, but something about Rise just clicked for me. She isn’t a perfect character, and there's definitely some wish fulfillment to her character, but she's ultimate a good one in a game filled with good characters. She’s worth appreciating, and a character that I wouldn't consider to be shameless.

Given the game's theme, a celebrity character is VERY appropriate. Their career is a commoditized public image. They are subject to rumors, misrepresentation...things that the game commonly slams. But the celebrity representation in the game has to be a widely adored kouhai who has insatiable hots for you. Like, I don't think it's a coincidence that they gave Rise a flirty personality compared to the rest of the girls.

Rise fawning over the protagonist does not feed into her being a shameless celebrity caricature. Attempting to tie that behavior to being a result celebrity caricature is not only contradicted by canon but it's essentially saying that developers screwed up with her character concept- which was very much ,"a cute but complex idol." Rise's a character with depth.

As an aside she's certainly not the only character who has the hots for the protagonist. (Pretty much everyone has some degree of attraction towards the protagonist)

The idea behind her character development isn't bad at all. It's just executed poorly, which makes it disappointing. I think if Rise weren't the Lovers arcana of this game, it would have gotten better direction.

The fact that the Lovers is an arcana indicates a major, life changing decision between 2 choices. To that end, it's the perfect fit for Rise.

Jintor

I tried to, but somewhere along the way I got lost completely. And I don't mean in terms of what evidence you had to back up your assertions - I got completely lost on what you were actually asserting.

So I've been roaming around tvtropes and I happened upon the article for Persona 4. One of listed tropes is "nintendo hard." Apparently it's also harder than Persona 3.

lol

Sophia

So I've been roaming around tvtropes and I happened upon the article for Persona 4. One of listed tropes is "nintendo hard." Apparently it's also harder than Persona 3.

lol

Vanilla Persona 4's difficulty is all over the place, but it does have some hard spots when compared to Persona 3. Part of the reason why they added Hard Mode to Persona 3 FES was because of the complaints that it was too easy in the vanilla game.

The TVTropes entry does have some errors tho. You're not roadblocked in P3 ever.

Vanilla Persona 4's difficulty is all over the place, but it does have some hard spots when compared to Persona 3. Part of the reason why they added Hard Mode to Persona 3 FES was because of the complaints that it was too easy in the vanilla game.

The TVTropes entry does have some errors tho. You're not roadblocked in P3 ever.

Well, I guess
Shadow Yukiko and Shadow Mitsuo were pretty difficult. I thought the Tartarus bosses in P3 got harder at times though.

Sophia

Well, I guess
Shadow Yukiko and Shadow Mitsuo were pretty difficult. I thought the Tartarus bosses in P3 got harder at times though.

Yeah, Persona 4 gets progressively easier, where as P3 remains more consistent in difficulty.

Nachos

Agreed. Persona and Catherine have such great presentation that SMT IV felt like a huge step back

My complaint is that SMT IV gives us an unnecessary world map that's as visually unappealing as it is confusing. I felt as though it was rushed in (hence the spinning cursor thing) just to artificially raise the difficulty while you go searching for your next quest. Maybe I could see its purpose if the game was non-linear, but it's not. Interconnected dungeons that kept you in the dungeon-crawling 3D perspective would have been a nicer fit (like pre-
Tokyo
), rather then just blindly moving your cursor along paths trying to find the subway that will lead you from dungeon A to dungeon B
Okay, that's totally fair. I don't think there's anything wrong with a world map, especially when it can do a wonderful job of conveying scale and physical space without spending an exorbitant amount modeling everything. It was, however, pretty under-utilized and visually confusing.

Maybe less would have been more, and the map should have been removed. I stumbled into the neutral route without using a guide, and lord knows that I must've doesn't an extra ten hours prowling everywhere finding those few quests that would arbitrarily allow me to move to the next story, especially when I want prepared for it. I think Persona and Catherine are actually really good examples of that; there's not actually a lot of unique at assets made specifically for those games, but they get a lot of mileage out of them without feeling like they're stretching their budgets.

Sophia

Sleeping Table in OGP3 and FES is worst than any mandatory boss in P4G.

Well yeah. P4G is significantly easier than the original game. That said, Sleeping Table was only hard in the original version of P3 because it had all those resistances. >.<

I actually steamrolled the Sleeping Table because I was so consistently overlevelled in P3, something I think is much easier to do in P3 than it is in P4.

But on the whole, being fair, I think P4 is the easier game, for the most part. P3's battle mechanics make it more consistently punishing of mistakes (for the most part; the better multi hitting spells is a double edged sword in P4). But its main boss battles (the Full Moon Shadows) are way easier than their counterparts in P4.

P3's next turn system or whatever the system is called automatically makes the game way harder than P4. It also introduces hama/mudo using enemies way earlier for random unfortunate death.

I'm sorry I ever ranted in the first place.

I still don't like Rise that much.

Mostly I'm just suffering because I need to wait 3 more days until I have access to my PS3 so I can play Nocturne.

Lunar15

I'm sorry I ever ranted in the first place.

I still don't like Rise that much.

Mostly I'm just suffering because I need to wait 3 more days until I have access to my PS3 so I can play Nocturne.

Haha, no, rants are what this place is about! The last thing I want is people thinking they can't express an opinion here. Plus, if your opinions aren't challenged, then a forum is just pure pleasure with no learning whatsoever.

You know, that part of SMT4 was not what I found disappointing in terms of gameplay. Considering the beginning of the game had me thinking I'd stumbled backward in time to like, some ancient RPG where you clicked an area to go there, I was pretty okay with that.

What disappointed me was two main things: 1) nobody but main guy had a character model. Everything was sprites. Which, I mean, at least they were pretty good sprites and I can live with that, but was unexpected and a let down and 2) the completely random and arbitrary way some characters would get full portraits while others never did. Or rather, "Corvo was butthurt that Nozomi never got her own official artwork."

I had other complaints with the game at the time, but some of them I have reconsidered and others I've realized I was just not quite expecting. Like I didn't really enjoy the talking avatars at the time, but now I'm pretty okay with it because I've come to realize that 1) it's better than FE:A's one or two voiced lines way of doing it and 2) that's how P3 and P4 do it and I don't mind it there.

I think part of the problem and much of the whining I did during SMT4 was on account of I'd never played an SMT game before and I went into it blind. I expect that when I play it again in the future, I will enjoy it a great deal more. Nothing can be done about the fact that Jonathon and Walter are douchenozzles, but if I tell myself they're meant to be ones like Argath in FFT, I'll be at peace with that, too.
Yeah, the budget in SMT IV pissed me off. Nocturne has better productions values than any SMT game until P5 though. You should definitely check that out.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yeah, the budget in SMT IV pissed me off. Nocturne has better productions values than any SMT game until P5 though. You should definitely check that out.

Just imagine how much better it could have been if it were on the Vita.

I'm sure if they got P4 to run on it, they could have made SMT4 look like Nocturne.

Haha, no, rants are what this place is about! The last thing I want is people thinking they can't express an opinion here. Plus, if your opinions aren't challenged, then a forum is just pure pleasure with no learning whatsoever.

Well, it makes me want to go through P4 again and look at the characters more in depth. Unfortunately that's a time/boredom commitment that I am not willing to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom