• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

Did someone say JoJo?

n8sBXDK.jpg

CorvoSol

What the fuck is JoJo? Serious question.

A Manga series full of ripped dudes in fab outfits doing weird poses while they say and do silly things midfight.

It's relevant to Persona because in part 3 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure the characters develop psychic buddies who fight alongside them, have special powers of their own, and are named for suits in the Tarot. Like JoJo's is Star Platinum, for instance.

There was an older anime series and now there is another that's ongoing.

Apparently JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has had a huge impact on anime over the years.

Acid08

Banned
A Manga series full of ripped dudes in fab outfits doing weird poses while they say and do silly things midfight.

It's relevant to Persona because in part 3 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure the characters develop psychic buddies who fight alongside them, have special powers of their own, and are named for suits in the Tarot. Like JoJo's is Star Platinum, for instance.

There was an older anime series and now there is another that's ongoing.

Apparently JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has had a huge impact on anime over the years.
Oh ok, sounds pretty cool. Is the new series why it's literally everywhere right now?

http://i.imgur.com/tjr5I5m.jpg
maki thats the wrong persona
is that Grim Skeleton Carmen Sandiego

they found her, and she's fucked up and horrifying

Isn't Part 4 of Jojo's basically supposed to be Persona 4? Heard statements like that before, though I've just been following the current series.
they're compared because they're both school kid slice of life things with a serial killer and personas were inspired by stands. also part 4.

some megaten games have a bomb skill called bites the dust, a reference to killer queen's bites the dust bomb in jojo~

Sophia

Huge is an understatement. It influenced a lot of different shows and creators in it's near 40 year run. Including things you wouldn't expect. Part 3 is most infamous for basically inspiriting the visual designs for Personas tho.

Jintor

On the other hand: The guy isn't imitating Soejima, I don't think, so it kind of doesn't matter.

The problem is the proportions aren't consistent with the other characters on the page. Yu for instance is nearly regular proportions so it makes Clara look really weird

* I say nearly because there seems to be a problem with his ribcage, even accounting for his pose

The thing about JoJo poses is that even with their hyper-exaggerated anatomy nothing ever actually looks full on broken

Dantis

The problem is the proportions aren't consistent with the other characters on the page. Yu for instance is nearly regular proportions so it makes Clara look really weird

I can't believe you've started calling her Clara.

Also, drawing is hard.

The worst thing to ever exist.

But play the game, CyberConnect2 make good games.

Yes, yes they do....
These game are pretty good for what they are, despite their flaws and if you can find them for a good price I would say go for it. Why else do you think I have Red as my name and avatar, because he's such a cool character.
Though I do want to play their dotHack series of game, just wish they weren't so rare and expensive, because I would buy them.

Jintor

The real issue there is the composition of the image is boring as sin. All though all the hands there look off. Yosuke's aren't... well, okay, they're pretty bad. They look like flippers.

Yes, yes they do....

These game are pretty good for what they are, despite their flaws and if you can find them for a good price I would say go for it.
Though I do want to play their dotHack series of game, just wish they weren't so rare and expensive, because I would buy them.

Are they expensive? I found the first 4 parts in a local game store for a total of (roughly) £30. But saying that, I recently bought the .Hack fighting game for the same price...

Lets not forget this brilliant game too.

Are they expensive? I found the first 4 parts in a local game store for a total of (roughly) £30. But saying that, I recently bought the .Hack fighting game for the same price...

Lets not forget this brilliant game too.

Yes, yes they are over here, Bandai printed a very small print run of each game in the series over here, so your gonna have prices ranging from like around $20 for like the first game in the series all the way up to like $90 for one of the GU games.

Kazzy

I'm just gonna be that guy and point out that FeMC's head is sort of way bigger than normal in this picture.

* I say nearly because there seems to be a problem with his ribcage, even accounting for his pose

The thing about JoJo poses is that even with their hyper-exaggerated anatomy nothing ever actually looks full on broken

nofunallowed :|

Also, who the hell is Clara?

@Ridley I meant more like what tools are you using to get the shapes and stuff. Pen? Shape fill?

Oh, sorry.
Well I used sometimes basic paintbrushes, and other times I use the magnetic lasso (I like where it says the line is going), you could do the same with the pen tool, but I always found it faster with the lasso and then fill up the shape. For not rectangular shapes I use paintbrush and color and erase until I like it.
It's an obsession I have since I worked doing art in the Scribblenaut games, and as you needed to do them as fast as you could (they were thousands of characters and objects) I tried to use the most basic tools, I know theres probably easier ways though.

Definitely prefer the second one.

Thanks, yeah, Im also starting to like it a little bit more.

The real issue there is the composition of the image is boring as sin. All though all the hands there look off. Yosuke's aren't... well, okay, they're pretty bad. They look like flippers.

I don't know, I like the composition. I remember finding this image (and theres a acompanion one where some are fighting and others are bored) when I was making the scooby doo parody and liking it a lot. Yeah the hands are a little bit bad, Im not that good at drawing hands either if im not looking at a photo or something.

Oh ok, sounds pretty cool. Is the new series why it's literally everywhere right now?
That and All-Star Battle. The game and Season 1 were announced in 2012 as part of the series' 25th anniversary even (Season 1 came out that year, ASB the following in japan, and only recently internationally for both).

Oh and avoid the OVA that's from the 90's/2000's. Very crappy adaptation of part 3 (removes chunks completely, altered some parts that were featured). It led to the creation of a pretty good abridged series but that's all I can say that's positive about it.
Whilst we're discussing art, can we talk about how shonky some of the Arena story mode illustrations are?

WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH YOSUKE'S HANDS?
It reminds me of the Burger King commercial of the guy with tiny hands

Dantis

I don't know, I like the composition. I remember finding this image (and theres a acompanion one where some are fighting and others are bored) when I was making the scooby doo parody and liking it a lot. Yeah the hands are a little bit bad, Im not that good at drawing hands either if im not looking at a photo or something.

It's made worse by how good Soejima is at drawing hands.

It's made worse by how good Soejima is at drawing hands.

He does pretty amazing work with the body and faces in anime form, thats why I like he style very much. I also think he designs pretty good clothes for the characters, not becuase they are special, but becuase its something that you can see in any real street but still gives lots of charisma to the character and has lots of style.

I'm sat here, listening to the reactions towards the end of the latest podcast, and I can't help thinking nearly all those reactions are probably reasonable :lol

You have the wrong idea of how the scene went down:

All she did was react to Yosuke's absurd suggestion. That's it. She did not give out her measurements, and she certainly didn't bring them up as a "joke" either. She kept a cool head and simply stated an objective truth. Your previous allegation was nothing but fiction.

You don't think a girl who is exceptionally comfortable about her body, compared to every other girl within that group, is notable?

Again, I'll have to challenge your logic here. What you're arguing isn't even a matter of interpretation - the game is crystal clear on the fact that Rise's commercial is a shallow (and inaccurate) look into her character. You keep trying to attribute that scene to Rise's character, in attempt to paint her as shameless celebrity caricature, when it's purpose is to tie back to one of the major themes of Persona 4 (false impressions and what not). Persona can be obtuse at times, but this is the one matter it was very clear on. I have no idea why you brought up Hiimdaisy.

I'm not sure how else to explain it.

What do you think the comic is making fun of? It's not an exaggeration.

Your analysis has to do with what it represents within the story itself, which I'm already aware of. I'm asking you, why does this exist, for player consumption purposes.

I mean to give a really obtuse example, that'll probably confuse you and Jintor, one of the features in P4G are costumes right?
You can dress up Yu Narukami in drag is one example. Within the game, that distresses your party members about Yu.
However, for player consumption purposes, it's funny.

So for player consumption purposes, what is that Rise opening animation?

I mean I tried to underline this previously. Imagine a new player to P4, starts up the game, has no knowledge of who Rise is, has no clue what the storyline is about, and is shown this. And of all the character misrepresentations to use, why was it Rise in a bikini? Why not Mayumi Yamano, which would have been a superior lead in?

No, because her s.link is structured around romance from the get go. The most beautiful/popular girl in school who has the distinction being "an impregnable fortress", suddenly falls in love with you? Oh and did I mention she's incredibly smart and an heiress to a semi famous inn as well? How is that not idealized? Her poor cooking and spacey behavior does not detract from that at all. In fact, you shouldn't judge a character based on your own values; Yukiko being an uncomfortable ditz/bad cook might be endearing to other people. Yukiko is (for all intents and purposes) the ‘pure’ girlfriend for all your waifu needs (it's important to consider that Persona 4 is a japanese game first, and the nadeshiko is extremely appealing there).

I never intended to get in a pissing competition between you in regards to who's more shameless, but it is what it is.

Regardless of the intention, she embodies the trope to a T. Hence why she's the ideal wife.

I only got any leverage in this conversation by mentioning concrete details. So I guess I'll try and do it again:

You know how you can initiate romance with Rise in Lovers Rank 8, right? We both agree that part of that story is in bad taste I think.
I'm different in that I can't separate that part of the link from the rest. It's because I believe that the entire link revolves around that one scene.

I've been saying that every link is structured differently. They have some common traits of course. Like, there's usually an NPC(s) involved that facilitates the character's later changes. In Rise's case, that's obviously the manager, right?

Inoue, the manager, is introduced very early on as a shady individual you are supposed to be weary of, in favor of Rise. And it builds, with every scene afterwards.

I guess what I'm trying to get at here, is that Rise's story involves the MC in a different way than other links do. In other social links with girls, you can waifu them after their conflict is already solved. And usually any prior allusions to said romance is done separately, and is mostly secondary.

Rise's link is different in that you waifu her during the APEX of her conflict and all the prior events from before lead up to that one moment. It's a waifu social link. (Lovers Rank2) The social link starts at Souzai Daigaku, where she elaborates on her loneliness but that she's happy to have you around. Lovers Rank 8, where her manager tells her off and you comfort her, takes place at the exact same setting, with the same camera angle. It's totally deliberate.

I only played Golden but I know that fully voiced social links were a new addition. Rise's the only character in this game that gets 3 entire link ranks, fully voiced. And it starts at Rank 8. Yeah Rank 8. It doesn't start with her moment of clarity. It starts in the scene where you're supposed to comfort her in a moment of weakness.

I think we both agree that there are some parts of her character development that are repetitive. I don't think it's due to lack of creativity on the writer's parts. It's because if Rise actively built off her shadow dungeon encounter, you would have something similar to Kanji's situation. The problem wouldn't be an inner conflict, but instead it would be more about actions to change. And that kind of development wouldn't involve the MC in same way that it does now.

Rise fawning over the protagonist does not feed into her being a shameless celebrity caricature. Attempting to pin that behavior on being a celebrity caricature is not only contradicted by canon but it's essentially saying that developers screwed up with her character- which was very much is,"cute by complex idol."

I'll be the first to say they screwed up.

I hate to bring up Yosuke again because it just leads to off topic things, but he's like the perfect example. He's supposed to be your endearing best friend...but a lot of people don't look at him that way.

You've brought up similar reasoning with Yukiko, right? It doesn't matter what the supposed intention is.

As an aside she's certainly not the only character who has the hots for the protagonist. (Pretty much everyone some degree of attraction towards the protagonist)

The fact that the Lovers is an arcana indicates a major, life changing decision between 2 choices. To that end, it's the perfect fit for Rise.

I should explain that I think that Lovers Arcana is designated to the primary love interest, like Yukari in P3. It was just me saying that if Rise weren't pushed as that, she as a character would have been better off.

But the idea of there being a primary love interest is up for interpretation, so we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

CorvoSol

I can't believe you've started calling her Clara.

Bwahaha. So good.gif.

On the one hand: Yes.

On the other hand: The guy isn't imitating Soejima, I don't think, so it kind of doesn't matter.

Well it isn't the style really, just that her head isn't proportionate to the others on the page. I'm hardly one to judge the quality of the artist's work past that.

nofunallowed :|

Also, who the hell is Clara?

I played Persona 3 Portable male and female at the same time, and Clara is the name I gave to my female protagonist. I named the male Makoto, but eventually he was Makoto Bravo to me, on account of his quirky attempts to score him some lady time.

mrboo001

Banned
I played Persona 3 Portable male and female at the same time, and Clara is the name I gave to my female protagonist. I named the male Makoto, but eventually he was Makoto Bravo to me, on account of his quirky attempts to score him some lady time.

I just started playing P3P as both male and female MCs based on your experience and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Even just past the 1st Midterms I'm already seeing different personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom