• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just imagine how much better it could have been if it were on the Vita.

I'm sure if they got P4 to run on it, they could have made SMT4 look like Nocturne.

Yup, one thing I like about Japanese Vita games is that the low tier devs can still push out solid looking stuff. Look at super niche stuff like Akiba's trip and Senran Kagura. Not really my kind of games but they look super nice visually despite being having super low budgets. Hell look at that digimon game, digimon games believe it or not don't actually sell shit in Japan so I'm 99% sure the budget fir digimon Vita isn't super high. But for some reason the game looks like this:
digimons1.jpg
There is nothing super impressive about this game technically but the art direction is super nice(done by the Devil Survivor guy actually) and way above what the 3DS is capable of. SMT IV on Vita probably could have looked like this.

CorvoSol

Yup, one thing I like about Japanese Vita games is that the low tier devs can still push out solid looking stuff. Look at super niche stuff like Akiba's trip and Senran Kagura. Not really my kind of games but they look super nice visually despite being having super low budgets. Hell look at that digimon game, digimon games believe it or not don't actually sell shit in Japan so I'm 99% sure the budget fir digimon Vita isn't super high. But for some reason the game looks like this:

There is nothing super impressive about this game technically but the art direction is super nice(done by the Devil Survivor guy actually) and way above what the 3DS is capable of. SMT IV on Vita probably could have looked like this.

Seeing Angewomon next to a grown dude suddenly makes me realize naughty things.

Yeah, the budget in SMT IV pissed me off. Nocturne has better productions values than any SMT game until P5 though. You should definitely check that out.

I would if it were possible, but I'm flat broke at this juncture, haha.

I don't know what that word means

Well, you see, "youre" is actually what happens when someone means to type "you're" but are likely on mobile where punctuating is annoying as fuck to do. "You're" means "You are" which doesn't make sense in this context, since I'm pretty sure he meant to type "your" and sometimes our brains betray us and make us hit that "e" key whether we want to or not.

I do hope this has been informative.

Oh good lord, that Digimon game looks super gorgeous. I hope it plays as good as it looks. When does it come out?

Seeing Angewomon next to a grown dude suddenly makes me realize naughty things.

I would if it were possible, but I'm flat broke at this juncture, haha.
LOL and understandable.
Oh good lord, that Digimon game looks super gorgeous. I hope it plays as good as it looks. When does it come out?

Jan. 2015, best part about it is that I'm confident that it'll get localized some how.

It's not "I... think I need to start watching JoJo's.", it's "How much can I watch instead of getting a good night's sleep"

I have a lot of respect for Rise Kujikawa. Idol characters are almost universal unappealing for me, but something about Rise just clicked for me. She isn’t a perfect character, and there's definitely some wish fulfillment to her character, but she's ultimate a good one in a game filled with good characters. She’s worth appreciating, and a character that I wouldn't consider to be shameless.

If anything, she is the embodiment of giving humanity back to idols (which are trained, expected to be, and rewarded for being things). It's like that commercial in the beginning, she's a cardboard cutout selling stuff which tires her and encourages self-destructive behavior (like naked satellitedish-faced rainbow pole dancing).

If anything, I'd hope the P:DAN thing would tie into that "respect for idols" bit P4 was doing, but with some recent developments and DAN being just a gaggy non-canon lark, I doubt it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Jesus, that game looks fantastic.

FluxWaveZ

Joseph Joestar should be the Persona 5 protagonist

He doesn't even have a proper Persona, though.

Persona is just a Jojo's arc in disguise anyways.

Isn't Part 4 of Jojo's basically supposed to be Persona 4? Heard statements like that before, though I've just been following the current series.

And then there's Jotaro shooting himself in the head to summon his Persona:
It's pretty cool that the P4 team in PQ are pulling Jojo's poses just 'cause.

arue

*Digimon screenshots*

That game sure is gorgeous. If Atlus ever plan another SMT games on Vita, they should follow this as an example.

Nachos

Just imagine how much better it could have been if it were on the Vita.

I'm sure if they got P4 to run on it, they could have made SMT4 look like Nocturne.

Putting SMT4 on the Vita would not have fixed that game's problems. That game doesn't even use the 3DS to its fullest, so porting it would have only improved what was there - not much to speak of. SMT4 was clearly a super-low budget game, and short of completely reworking its entire art design, that doesn't change, no matter what system it's for. When games like Kingdom Hearts and Kid Icarus exist for the system, it's pretty obvious that the only real thing holding it back was that Atlus clearly didn't think it was worth it to spend that much money on the project.

PK Gaming

He doesn't even have a proper Persona, though.

Isn't Part 4 of Jojo's basically supposed to be Persona 4? Heard statements like that before, though I've just been following the current series.

And then there's Jotaro shooting himself in the head to summon his Persona:

It's pretty cool that the P4 team in PQ are pulling Jojo's poses just 'cause.

Dude punches outside of his weight class and manages to defeat enemies that are way stronger than him

Joseph Joestar weaponizes audacity

It pretty much is, but explaining how would get into all sorts of spoilers. I'll just say that at the very least, two of the major characters are almost certainly the inspirations for P4's Kanji and True Killer.

Lunar15

It pretty much is, but explaining how would get into all sorts of spoilers. I'll just say that at the very least, two of the major characters are almost certainly the inspirations for P4's Kanji and True Killer.

Well, that and everyone gets personas and arcanas.

Rhapsody

Banned
The Tarot naming theme is only present in Part 3. All Stands from Part 4 on are music references. Some are subtle, like my main man Crazy Diamond. Some are not, such as Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

I find it amusing that the localized version is Filthy Acts, at a Reasonable Price, haha.

Putting SMT4 on the Vita would not have fixed that game's problems. That game doesn't even use the 3DS to its fullest, so porting it would have only improved what was there - not much to speak of. SMT4 was clearly a super-low budget game, and short of completely reworking its entire art design, that doesn't change, no matter what system it's for. When games like Kingdom Hearts and Kid Icarus exist for the system, it's pretty obvious that the only real thing holding it back was that Atlus clearly didn't think it was worth it to spend that much money on the project.

It probably takes a lot of effort to actually get something out of the 3DS. The games you just named are fairly big. I'm not even looking at big Vita games. I'm looking at Atelier, Senran Kagura, Akiba's trip, Hyper dimension neptunia, Digimon ect. SMT is not a massive franchise but it certainly justifies having a bigger budget than all of the games I just mentioned. Even Strange Journey(the lowest selling SMT title) put up bigger numbers than the games I just mentioned. I can't think of a single good looking mid tier game on the 3DS, all of the best looking games are fairly high budget. And SMT IV doesn't even look as good as DDS or Raidou in certain parts, and those are super b tier megten spinoffs. Hell PQ is going to get a massive push, bigger than something like DDS and Raidou, and yet it looks like ass. I think the platform, definitely has something to do with the way the game looks, although a budget was certainly a factor. Hell they could have used a modified version of the PS2 megaten engine with the same old PS2 demon models and the result would have likely been a significantly better looking game on Vita. I also think the game was rushed.

P4G will be my first persona game, anything I should know or keep in mind while I play?

Take your time with P4 and have fun. I cant say if its your sort of game, but most ppl that see it through to the end suddenly fall in love with the franchise.

I had the same 3 favorite games for over 10 years. Once i finished P4, it became my 2nd favorite game of all time.

Enjoy. You're in for one hell of a ride.

Shadow Kanji rules btw.

P4G will be my first persona game, anything I should know or keep in mind while I play?
Apart from taking your time like other have said, keep in mind that it takes some time for the game to actually start, as the "intro" is pretty long. Once it actually starts though, you'll probably See why so many people love it.

Phlebas

Banned
Apart from taking your time like other have said, keep in mind that it takes some time for the game to actually start, as the "intro" is pretty long. Once it actually starts though, you'll probably See why so many people love it.

I don't mind a long intro to a game as long as whatever comes after is good.

Does this have multiple endings?

CorvoSol

Lisa has decided the best way to prove to me she is best girl is to point out that Maya has hearts over her boobs. I'm very glad that somebody in the party finally got around to stating this.

hao chi

Yeah, so I suggest you start making multiple saves as you think you're nearing the end of the game. You can miss out on a significant amount of content otherwise.

Edit: A few other tips:

Fuse the shit out of your Personas. There's usually no reason to hang onto a Persona when you could fuse a more powerful one.

Try to do your dungeon crawling on rainy days, since there's usually not really anything else to do on those days (as far as Social Links go, anyway). Also, it should take three days tops to finish a dungeon. It's fine if it takes you longer, but that's what you should be aiming for at least, which is really plenty of time.

When doing Social Links, if you're able to, equip a Persona whose arcana matches that of the person you're going to spend time with. This will likely make more sense once you're in the game, but basically if you're doing the Emperor Social Link and you equip a Persona of the Emperor arcana, you'll be able to progress the Social Link a bit faster.

Phlebas

Banned
Yeah, so I suggest you start making multiple saves as you think you're nearing the end of the game. You can miss out on a significant amount of content otherwise.

Is there anything I can use that won't spoil things? I'd hate to do a play through and miss out right at the end.

Edit: just saw your edit, thanks for the tips.

LX_Theo

Banned

To note, the multiple endings almost all going in a sequential order of "goodness", with the true end being the best ending. Its also not based on decisions throughout the game, so you can use multiple saves and reloads to experience all the endings.

EDIT: There's a literal point in the game where they tell you that serious shit is about to go down and you'll want to save. It should be obvious if you get the bad ending based on how these events play out. For the true end, its easier to miss. It'll be pretty obvious if you get the true ending. Should you miss either of these points where you have to do things to get certain endings, you can probably look up a spoiler free guide for both (I'd suggest going through it without a guide first of course)

Guess Who

Banned
Is there anything I can use that won't spoil things? I'd hate to do a play through and miss out right at the end.

Edit: just saw your edit, thanks for the tips.

The most important decision will give you a warning asking if you'd like to save beforehand.

I'd also recommend completing the Aeon Social Link; while not required, necessarily, you have to complete it for some major additional content.

hao chi

I spent way too long trying to come up with a way of answering that without spoiling anything, and you guys did a better job than me.

One thing I'll add though is after you're done with the game, make your New Game Plus save on a separate file, just in case. Then if you aren't sure if you missed something, ask here and describe the ending you got, and I'm sure someone will gladly help you out.

CorvoSol

Are you doing the optional conversations corvo?

Well everywhere I go I make sure to talk to the gang first before proceeding, if that's what you mean. I know I could go out of my way to other places but I'm kind of trying to prioritize finishing the game first, so to speak. Hopefully the story clicks with me soon and I'll feel encouraged to go out of my way to places to talk to people.

Phelbas. Here's my last piece of advice. Stay the hell away from YouTube whilst you play Persona 4. Typing the word Persona 4 or anything that closely matches it, brings up a ton of spoilers.

The video titles in the search results will most certainly give away key parts of the story.

Phlebas

Banned
Phelbas. Here's my last piece of advice. Stay the hell away from YouTube whilst you play Persona 4. Typing the word Persona 4 or anything that closely matches it, brings up a ton of spoilers.

The video titles in the search results will most certainly give away key parts of the story.

Yeah I'd hate to have it spoiled like that, thanks for the help everyone.

I'll make an update once I feel like I've advanced enough into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom