• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

I will take this time to stress once again that I really can't wait for more info on P5.

Having new characters to argue about will be so much better than arguing about old characters.

I will take this time to stress once again that I really can't wait for more info on P5.

Having new characters to argue about will be so much better than arguing about old characters.
As soon as P5 is revealed I am out of here. I am going to do my best to go into the game as blind as I can be.

FluxWaveZ

Fun piece of trivia I didn't think of that I saw posted on GameFAQs:
Yukari is the Pink Phoenix Ranger in the show she is an actress in. Lisa in Persona 2 wore the Pink Phoenix Ranger mask as a child. Both Yukari and Lisa's signature arcanas are Lovers.

Levito

Banned
Rise is apparently PersonaGAF's equivalent of politics.

New stuff is the best, isn't it?

CorvoSol

I just started playing P3P as both male and female MCs based on your experience and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Even just past the 1st Midterms I'm already seeing different personalities.

Haha, I really liked playing P3P that way. I expect that's how I'll do it in the future, too! It can be a bit grindy at times, but I appreciate that P3 had enough characters that I could use distinct parties to make the game more interesting that way, too.

P4 doesn't even have good waifus. But it has the best husbando.

No, no, no. The best husband is Theo. MMmmmm Theo.

You all know I'm going to wind up disliking the most popular character and what a roller coaster this thread will be from there, people.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin

1. Holy shit they used to hand Personas out like candies to folks. This random fat guy in the sushi bar just happens to have one? Okay.

2. How close is the city of Mikage-Cho to the city of Sumaru that St. Hermelin grads and students form a full third of Sumaru's active population?

3. Lisa becoming a popstar with no effort is possibly Eikichi's very worst nightmare ever.

Levito

Banned
True, I'm probably just looking in the wrong places to buy it. Not very knowledgeable about importing.

Also, the reaction to the Tomodachi Life thing has reminded me that P5 is going to have an enormous backlash if it doesn't have gay relationships or a female protag. Hopefully both are in there.

Dantis

True, I'm probably just looking in the wrong places to buy it. Not very knowledgeable about importing.

Also, the reaction to the Tomodachi Life thing has reminded me that P5 is going to have an enormous backlash if it doesn't have gay relationships or a female protag. Hopefully both are in there.

I don't think there should necessarily be either, to be honest. It would be nice if they were in there, but Atlus shouldn't feel obligated to do it, I don't think, because of the type of game that Persona is. Certainly, I don't think it's the same kind of problem as Tomodachi Life not having it.

I don't know if there will be a backlash, but there shouldn't be.

Also, I just checked, and it's apparently $30. Which still isn't too bad!

FluxWaveZ

Doubt it. They wouldn't be similar situations at all. There'd be backlash in the same way P3 or P4 had 'backlash' for the same reason, but nowhere near "enormous".

Why would there be backlash against there not being a female protagonist? I mean I could see there being a possible gay relationship considering the main theme of the game is about societal pressures and whatnot, but honestly who cares? It'll probably just be like P4 where the non-romance option has a better S. Link conclusion.

abrack08

As soon as P5 is revealed I am out of here. I am going to do my best to go into the game as blind as I can be.

Same here (not that I post a whole bunch, but I'll stop lurking too!). I want to be a part of the hype machine, I'm sure it will be a fun ride, but I don't want to go into the game knowing who's gonna be in the party, what their Personas look like, etc. I knew next to nothing about P3FES or P4G, other than what was on the cover, before I played them, that was awesome.

It's a tough decision though. Community hype/discussion and trailers vs Unspoiled game experience.

mrboo001

Banned

I don't think it would be as bad, because the Protagonist will (likely) be pre-defined unlike games like Tomodachi Life. They could argue it doesn't fit the character. But I'd be open to either or both.

Haha, I really liked playing P3P that way. I expect that's how I'll do it in the future, too! It can be a bit grindy at times, but I appreciate that P3 had enough characters that I could use distinct parties to make the game more interesting that way, too.

No, no, no. The best husband is Theo. MMmmmm Theo.

You all know I'm going to wind up disliking the most popular character and what a roller coaster this thread will be from there, people.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin

1. Holy shit they used to hand Personas out like candies to folks. This random fat guy in the sushi bar just happens to have one? Okay.

2. How close is the city of Mikage-Cho to the city of Sumaru that St. Hermelin grads and students form a full third of Sumaru's active population?

3. Lisa becoming a popstar with no effort is possibly Eikichi's very worst nightmare ever.

That is Kenta "Toro" from Persona 1, he is hardly in the main quest but he has a role in the Snow Queen Quest. His Persona? Mara.

Rumor has it that Mikage is a part of Sumaru or a city on the edge of Sumaru.

Levito

Banned
I don't think there should necessarily be either, to be honest. It would be nice if they were in there, but Atlus shouldn't feel obligated to do it, I don't think, because of the type of game that Persona is. Certainly, I don't think it's the same kind of problem as Tomodachi Life not having it.

They should only do it if they want to, not because they feel compelled to. So I agree?

Also, I just checked, and it's apparently $30. Which still isn't too bad!

What retailer are you looking at? Found this over on Play Asia.

Doubt it. They wouldn't be similar situations at all. There'd be backlash in the same way P3 or P4 had 'backlash' for the same reason, but nowhere near "enormous".

Persona 5 is coming out in a far different gaming landscape in terms of how the media reacts to games not being inclusive, progressive, etc. Enormous is probably overstating it, but it would most certainly be a much bigger reaction than P3 or P4 got.

(Also, female protag option, like P3P-- to be clear)

Lunar15

I don't think so. The idea with Tomodachi life is that you can be yourself and other people you know. The concept is built around you having the freedom to do whatever you want. So people are upset that they really don't have the full freedom to truly be who they are.

With a game like Persona, it's a story with a defined main character, at least to a degree. I understand that choice is still a factor, but it's still less of a factor here.

I'm not saying they can't or shouldn't do it, I'm just saying that the two situations are a tad different. I'm all for whatever, as long as it doesn't hinder the story. Dating in P4/3 was such a minor aspect that sure, do what you want. However, it would be kind of interesting if every male and female was after the protagonist. Talk about a true pimp.

EDIT: There will be backlash though.

FluxWaveZ

Persona 5 is coming out in a far different gaming landscape in terms of how the media reacts to games not being inclusive or progressive enough. Enormous is probably overstating it, but it would most certainly be a much bigger reaction than P3 or P4 got.

Sure, the vocal minority would be larger than that of P3 and P4 just because P5 will most likely be a bigger game in terms of media attention than the previous two. Still probably going to be a non-issue, unless someone seeks those kinds of tumblr/rant comments out.

Dantis

They should only do it if they want to, not because they feel compelled to. So I agree?

Superb!

What retailer are you looking at? Found this over on Play Asia.

YesAsia.

Sure, the vocal minority would be larger than that of P3 and P4 just because P5 will most likely be a bigger game in terms of media attention than the previous two. Still probably going to be a non-issue, unless someone seeks those kinds of tumblr/rant comments out.

This is probably true. Some people will raise a stink, but most people probably won't care.

PK Gaming

You don't think a girl who is exceptionally comfortable about her body, compared to every other girl within that group, is notable?

It's notable, but so what?

My response had nothing to do with the fact that Rise was more comfortable with her self image than the rest of the girls (which isn't inherently a bad thing). It had everything to do with the fact that in addition to actively ignoring specifics of the scene, you outright contradicted it and presented that contradiction as a fact in an attempt to belittle her character (calling her a celebrity caricature as result of something she didn't do). It was completely out of line. I'll say it again; there's nothing wrong with a person who's completely comfortable with a self image. There's nothing wrong with making light of a horribly demeaning practice.

DryEyeRelief said:
I'm not sure how else to explain it.

What do you think the comic is making fun of? It's not an exaggeration.

Your analysis has to do with what it represents within the story itself, which I'm already aware of. I'm asking you, why does this exist, for player consumption purposes.

I mean to give a really obtuse example, that'll probably confuse you and Jintor, one of the features in P4G are costumes right?
You can dress up Yu Narukami in drag is one example. Within the game, that distresses your party members about Yu.
However, for player consumption purposes, it's funny.

So for player consumption purposes, what is that Rise opening animation?

I mean I tried to underline this previously. Imagine a new player to P4, starts up the game, has no knowledge of who Rise is, has no clue what the storyline is about, and is shown this. And of all the character misrepresentations to use, why was it Rise in a bikini? Why not Mayumi Yamano, which would have been a superior lead in?

If you'll recall, Mayumi Yamano is already shown in the prologue. They show clips of her struggling with her attacker. That said, Rise's commercial served 3 distinct purpose:

First, it makes the player cognizant of her existence as a celebrity/main character. Secondly, it uses that very scene as a springboard to misrepresent her (that shallow, sexy girl you meet at the prologue isn't the real her. I think it certainly represents a side of her, but it’s a side that comes secondary to her primary existence as Rise Kujikawa) The final purpose of that scene was for fanservice, but that was never really anything more than background noise... to posit it as shameless is just way too extreme. Besides, Persona isn't averse to making fanservice scenes work beyond just fanservice (see: Yukari's shower scene), so the fact they used the commercial to do multiple things was pretty cool. Using Mayumi Yamano in place of Rise to illustrate those points is useless and counter-intuitive. If you disregard the fact that she's already shown in the prologue, you'll note that:

• She doesn't need a specialized introduction because she's a minor character.
  • There's nothing to misrepresent. What you see is what you get.
  • I probably don’t have to elaborate on why it’s problematic/uncomfortable to use Mayumi Yamano as fanservice, so I won’t.

DryEyeRelief said:
I only got any leverage in this conversation by mentioning concrete details. So I guess I'll try and do it again:

You know how you can initiate romance with Rise in Lovers Rank 8, right? We both agree that part of that story is in bad taste I think.
I'm different in that I can't separate that part of the link from the rest. It's because I believe that the entire link revolves around that one scene.

I've been saying that every link is structured differently. They have some common traits of course. Like, there's usually an NPC(s) involved that facilitates the character's later changes. In Rise's case, that's obviously the manager, right?

Inoue, the manager, is introduced very early on as a shady individual you are supposed to be weary of, in favor of Rise. And it builds, with every scene afterwards.

I guess what I'm trying to get at here, is that Rise's story involves the MC in a different way than other links do. In other social links with girls, you can waifu them after their conflict is already solved. And usually any prior allusions to said romance is done separately, and is mostly secondary.

Rise's link is different in that you waifu her during the APEX of her conflict and all the prior events from before lead up to that one moment. It's a waifu social link. (Lovers Rank2) The social link starts at Souzai Daigaku, where she elaborates on her loneliness but that she's happy to have you around. Lovers Rank 8, where her manager tells her off and you comfort her, takes place at the exact same setting, with the same camera angle. It's totally deliberate.

I only played Golden but I know that fully voiced social links were a new addition. Rise's the only character in this game that gets 3 entire link ranks, fully voiced. And it starts at Rank 8. Yeah Rank 8. It doesn't start with her moment of clarity. It starts in the scene where you're supposed to comfort her in a moment of weakness.

I think we both agree that there are some parts of her character development that are repetitive. I don't think it's due to lack of creativity on the writer's parts. It's because if Rise actively built off her shadow dungeon encounter, you would have something similar to Kanji's situation. The problem wouldn't be an inner conflict, but instead it would be more about actions to change. And that kind of development wouldn't involve the MC in same way that it does now.

Ok, I see what you mean now. The way her social link utilizes her conflict as a springboard into romancing with the protagonist is incredibly offputting. But even so, there's still an appeal to her social link. I found joy in moments where Rise was just being nonchalant herself. I enjoyed meeting up with Rise at Okina and seeing her shortchange her obnoxious fans. I liked seeing her re-ignite her passion for being an idol. I liked seeing her talk about her desire to please her faceless fan. Suffice it to say, I ended up liking her social link a lot. I can overlook the minor squabbles regarding romance because of those events, and I don't think i'm alone here. I'm positive that you'll find several adherents for Rise's social link in this thread. Again, this is clearly a YMMV thing, but I just don't see a point to writing off her entire social link due to some flawed writing.

DryEyeRelief said:
I'll be the first to say they screwed up.

I hate to bring up Yosuke again because it just leads to off topic things, but he's like the perfect example. He's supposed to be your endearing best friend...but a lot of people don't look at him that way.

You've brought up similar reasoning with Yukiko, right? It doesn't matter what the supposed intention is.

You're projecting your own values again. What is Yosuke supposed to be like? He's obviously more than just your endearing best friend. There's that entire undercurrent of his character where he's jealous of how awesome the protagonist is, and is resentful due to how much of a loser he is. Believe it or not, their main focus when making Yosuke was "good-looking, city boy who acts as a mouth piece for the protagonist." They didn't set out to make him your best friend; it's something he slowly develops into it over the course of the series. (Calling him Yu's best friend in P4 vanilla is debatable, but P4A/P4G makes it pretty clear that he's Yu's best friend)

Blindly buying into developer intent is dangerous, but I still don't think they screwed up with Rise's character at all. I like Rise, and i have ranted repeatedly on end about how disappointing it is to see the fandom write her off as a one note bimbo, when there's so much more to her character.

DryEyeRelief said:
I should explain that I think that Lovers Arcana is designated to the primary love interest, like Yukari in P3. It was just me saying that if Rise weren't pushed as that, she as a character would have been better off.

But the idea of there being a primary love interest is up for interpretation, so we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

But what you're arguing isn't even remotely open for interpretation. Being the primary love interest has nothing to do with the Lovers Arcana. The congruity between Rise and Yukari lies in the fact both characters have dealt with a major life changing decision between 2 roads. We've already talked about Rise, but for Yukari, that was presented by her decision to choose between her beliefs and values... her character concept is predicated on choosing to devote her life towards finding out the truth behind her father (instead of believing in the established truth). This is supported by the Persona 3 databook. The databook doesn't make a single mention her love for the protagonist, but it talks at length about her path in life. Persona actually does a good job at representing the Lovers Arcana. It avoids nearly all of the wrong preconceptions held by the Lovers Arcana.

I mean, if it's set in college, there's no way there won't be same-sex relationships.

But for reals, Persona ain't the kind of game where you need total diversity. It'd be nice but no-one's at fault if there isn't, say, a gay party member.

Dantis

I mean, if it's set in college, there's no way there won't be same-sex relationships.

But for reals, Persona ain't the kind of game where you need total diversity. It'd be nice but no-one's at fault if there isn't, say, a gay party member.

Yup, exactly.

Levito

Banned
All I'll say is this, a huge portion of the fanbase that plays these games is female, and they already included a female protag in P3P. So at least in that regard, it'd be pretty cool if though brought that back! (No, I'm not saying they have to)

$15 cheaper, though it might be around the same with shipping. Will have to look into it.

Lunar15

All I'll say is this, a huge portion of the fanbase that plays these games is female, and they already included a female protag in P3P. So at least in that regard, it'd be pretty cool if though brought that back! (No, I'm not saying they have to)

I think that'd be awesome. It'd be great for replayability.

I've always said: I think they were able to pull off having two genders in P3P because they didn't have cutscenes. They didn't do it in P4G because they didn't want to have to re-do the cut scenes with a different character.

Now, since they're starting from scratch, there's no reason they couldn't do cutscenes for both.

LX_Theo

Banned
I can't imagine anyone objecting to it outside of maybe Atlus's budget.

Squire

Banned
I think it's less that there needs to be gay/female characters specifically and more that they've kinda set the expectation that they're not just coloring inside the lines to create the casts. The cast just can't be sterile. I'm not really worried it will be.

I feel pretty strongly that there should be an option between male or female. I think that's the most fair, especially to Persona's sizable female fanbase; because let's be real, no way are we getting a female protagonist otherwise.

LX_Theo

Banned
That's why I object to it in terms of "optional female protagonist". Either stick with a female protagonist or a male protagonist, but not both. Pretty much all elaborated on in this page.

Well, its the more making it in a way that there is enough new content on replay to make it worthwhile that creates that issue. If they designed it well, they could manage both genders without adding a ton to the cost of the game. I think its more the replayability of it that brings out the expense of it.

FluxWaveZ

Well, its the more making it in a way that there is enough new content on replay to make it worthwhile that creates that issue. If they designed it well, they could manage both genders without adding a ton to the cost of the game. I think its more the replayability of it that brings out the expense of it.

I am not anticipating Persona 5 so that I can replay it, I am anticipating the game so I can experience it for the first time. As several people explain in that link, adding the option for two genders would dilute what the game would potentially be with only one, and that is why I am opposed.

PK Gaming

I think it's unrealistic to hope for an optional female protaognist akin to P3P's FeMC on P5's first outing. They only pulled it off because they had an existing game to work with. Adding a female protagonist that isn't half assed effectively doubling up on the text and coming up with new social links is bound to take time/resources.

That's why i'm hoping that the female P5 protagonist is introduced in the inevitable P5 remake, or better yet, the primary P5 protagonist is female.

Squire

Banned
Why does it need to be FeMC again? They can make it where you pick one or the other and make it so the scenario isn't gender specific and the job is done.

I think the only reason the FeMC route is just that - it's own unique route - is because it was the selling point for a re-release. P5 doesn't have that kind of burden.

Acid08

Banned
Eh, I don't know. Persona games aren't life simulators like Tomodachi is. There's no requirement for them to have either if it doesn't fit their vision. Though, yeah, it would be nice to see them be more inclusive by adding options for gay relationships in there.

But yeah there will be backlash no matter what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom