• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Everything points to Persona 5 being closely tied to Persona 3 and 4. While this might be a gigantic attempt at trolling the fanbase by Atlus, I'm still disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I love P3 and P4, but I'm tired of the cast after all those spin offs.

I don't buy it.

Gbraga

01EVDBK.png

A Persona series music event coming.
More details coming in early September.

Ooooooh shit

They call me airplane, cause my flow is so fly

Meia

Did I miss something, why do you think that?

I too will be deeply disappointed if that's true.

I don't know why he thinks that, but I've been thinking it for awhile now. If the game isn't going to be delayed, there must be SOME reason why we haven't seen one screen of this game yet. Only thing that makes sense to me is we won't until all these other P4 side games are out in the wild, or close to be. Which is pretty much now.

I mean, why else not show a thing about the game up til now if it's really releasing shortly(within 6 months)?

The data miner who leaked almost all of Ultimax found out that internal data within Ultimax calls Sho "P5HERO", which leads to the following possibilities:

#1 - The data miner is trolling the fanbase. As far as I know, noone else bothered to look for that particular file, so this might still be a thing.
#2 - Atlus is trolling the fanbase. I wouldn't put this beyond them after the livestream from last year. Also, hiding information that is not directed at the game itself but at potential hackers within the game's data was already done by Atlus before if I recall correctly. There was a message within P4's data that hackers shouldn't spoil the killer's identity.
#3 - Sho is the actual protagonist of Persona 5. There is more information that would support this theory as well.
#4 - It's a development gag.

I'm currently betting on option #2, but I wouldn't be surprised if #3 would end up true.
I still have enough faith on the writing team that brought us Catherine and the Death social link to not do this.

The data miner who leaked almost all of Ultimax found out that internal data within Ultimax calls Sho "P5HERO", which leads to the following possibilities:

#1 - The data miner is trolling the fanbase. As far as I know, noone else bothered to look for that particular file, so this might still be a thing.
#2 - Atlus is trolling the fanbase. I wouldn't put this beyond them after the livestream from last year. Also, hiding information that is not directed at the game itself but at potential hackers within the game's data was already done by Atlus before if I recall correctly. There was a message within P4's data that hackers shouldn't spoil the killer's identity.
#3 - Sho is the actual protagonist of Persona 5. There is more information that would support this theory as well.

I'm currently betting on option #2, but I wouldn't be surprised if #3 would end up true.

#Team3

Tamanon

Banned
Has to be #2 or #4. There would be no reason to call him P5HERO, if his name is already published. The only way it would be true is if Atlus actually wanted people to know that this early. And that's not like Atlus at all.

FireSol

Mostly this! Atlus shown many times that they are God tier trolls
We might see Sho in P5, but as a party member, but not as MC

I don't know why he thinks that, but I've been thinking it for awhile now. If the game isn't going to be delayed, there must be SOME reason why we haven't seen one screen of this game yet. Only thing that makes sense to me is we won't until all these other P4 side games are out in the wild, or close to be. Which is pretty much now.

I mean, why else not show a thing about the game up til now if it's really releasing shortly(within 6 months)?

It only makes sense, once the P5 hype train gets rolling there's no stopping it. Getting all of the spin-offs out of the way first is the only sensible thing to do.

Tamanon

Banned
Also, Persona 5 is probably going to be a rather drastic tonal shift from the goofiness of Dancing/Q/Ultimax. Might muddle the message if it's shown too much while releasing other games.

Lunar15

I have to be honest, I haven't even touched the spinoffs yet and I'm already fatigued. I barely have any hype for PQ or P4AU at this point.

I just really want P5.

Meia

It only makes sense, once the P5 hype train gets rolling there's no stopping it. Getting all of the spin-offs out of the way first is the only sensible thing to do.

You're not wrong, but I have to imagine Persona is a flagship franchise for them, and the newest one is coming out in *less than 6 months*. We haven't seen one image from it yet, nor do we really know anything about it.

kewlmyc

I'm going with #1 or #2. Compared to past Persona protags, Sho's design would be kinda weird as a playable protag if the gameplay is anything similar to P3/P4.

Nachos

Yeah, this is the same guy who revealed hidden content in Ground Zeroes before people could figure out how to unlock it properly. He has a proven track record, so it'd be weird to throw a goof like that in now of all times. Guess we'll just need to see.

Though that is the first I've heard of the bolded point.

Anyway, this is what Arue said in the spoiler thread:
My prediction: SHO WILL BE THE MC OF P5.

Think about it:
-[First two points redacted for spoiler reasons]

-Sho's design is red and black. He fits the theme color of P5.

-P5's theme is to break the shackles of society and liberation. The setting could be set initially in prison. If you google "Prisons in Japan," you would find this image:
japan-old-people-prison-2010-12-2-14-51-25.jpg

If you compare Sho's outfit with these prisoners, then it all makes sense. See the green top and the yellow band?
P4A_Sho_Render.png

-In the interview that came out earlier this year, Hashino also mentioned that fans of P3 and P4 will feel right at home with P5. Well with this prediction, I'd say that P5 will feel too right at home because it will be directly connected with P4AU.

If you consider all of these points, then it all makes sense! Bookmark this post and come back when P5's MC is announced.

Setsu00

Yeah, this is the same guy who revealed hidden content in Ground Zeroes before people could figure out how to unlock it properly. He has a proven track record, so it'd be weird to throw a goof like that in now of all times. Guess we'll just need to see.

I'm pretty sure there is a pic with this message somewhere on the internet, but I can't find it right now. I have no idea if this image and by extension said message isn't a fake though.

Also, Arue's post leaves out the fact that freaking Tsukiyomi has red, black and white as its dominant colors.

Nachos

I'm pretty sure there is a pic with this message somewhere on the internet, but I can't find it right now. I have no idea if this image and by extension said message isn't a fake though.

Also, Arue's post leaves out the fact that freaking Tsukiyomi has red, black and white as its dominant colors.

I found this on The Cutting Room Floor, though according to it, this was just a message that would've played for everyone when first starting the game:
Thank you for purchasing Persona 4.

Before you begin the game, we’d like to
ask you, the player, for a favor.

This game has several mystery-style
factors that involves finding the killer
behind a series of heinous murders.

Even if you yourself have any clues
about the criminal’s identity, please
keep them to yourself.

Your clues or theories may deprive
others of the fun of discovering the
story for themselves. Besides...

The truth you find...
...may not be the real truth.

Is that the guy with REDCODE, then?!

PK Gaming

Any hype I had for DAN and P5 (especially P5) is dead after last night. I think I'll take a break from Persona or something...

Nanami_%2818%29.png

Calm down Setsu00. Take a deep, deep breathe and take things slowly.

You only need to look at things from a rational point of view to see that your fears are completely unfounded.

Let's start from the top:

1. Persona protagonists start out as blank slates. They have very little character history (with a few rare exceptions). They're typically surrogates for the player, which makes it possible for players to mold them into however they want. Their character designs also incorporate that ambiguity.

None of that applies to Sho. He has a strong, defined personality. He goes through a significant amount of development in P4AU. It is not possible to have him act or say things in multiple different ways like with past protagonists. Even his design flat out runs counter to that. In other words, he's a bad audience surrogate.

2. This should go without saying, but Sho isn't a normal person. You can't have him going to school like a normal person. He couldn't hold a regular conversation with NPC like a regular person could. I can't elaborate with going into spoilers, but it's very obvious that he's very abnormal.

3. Look at his design.

It's obviously designed with arena in mind. It's got that sharp, arcadey feel to it. An obvious "rival" antagonist character. (I mean for he's got a goddamn scar!). His design simply doesn't make for a good Persona protagonist design. Soejima puts a significant amount of effort into making his protagonists look extremely appealing, and Sho's design simply lacks that pedigree. If Sho were the protagonist of Persona 5, he'd stick out like a sore thumb in every group shot, because his design would clash with the other Persona 5 characters. Consider this classic P3 image:

Persona_3_AD.jpg

Sho could never hope to blend with a hypothetical P5 cast.

4. He's already got a Persona(?). A main tradition in the Persona games is having the protagonist go through an awakening scene. Sho can't go through one because he already has Tsukuyomi(?)

5. He's a fighting game character.

Everyone, please relax and

tumblr_mitbamryEg1qh9y1co1_500.jpg

FluxWaveZ

The 1.5 hours that was university orientation was basically "networking blah blah bonds blah blah social links blah blah friendships." Hate it. As if I don't hear enough of that from this series.

Also, the freak outs about Persona 5 remind me of GameFAQs. It's entertaining, so keep it up.

Sophia

Ya'll are being trolled by Atlus, regardless of the outcome of "P5HERO", and it is glorious.

The 1.5 hours that was university orientation was basically "networking blah blah bonds blah blah social links blah blah friendships." Hate it. As if I don't hear enough of that from this series.

So in other words, it was 1.5 hours of "Level up your social links, bro!"

kewlmyc

Also, the freak outs about Persona 5 remind me of GameFAQs. It's entertaining, so keep it up.
First time going to college? Enjoy it dude.

Rhapsody

Banned

I ditched the majority of my school's orientation...

I feel sorry for some of the students I've met in my current college. They had to stay overnight for theirs.

kewlmyc

Somewhere inside of me, I do want to see Sho as P5Hero just to see how Atlus would handle it, and how the fanbase would initially react to it.

Nachos

k3feldv.jpg

(I'm not going try to be in character, because I don't know how the localization handled her.)
Right. There's a wealth of information pointing to the contrary, so assuming they're not trying to shake up the formula too much, Sho's utterly incongruous with what Atlus has established. No one knows what's going on their minds, though, so I don't think anything should necessarily be taken for granted.
There's a video series revealing Ground Zeroes "hacks" (or whatever you want to call them) from REDCODE! Unless this someone who revealed the GZ content is someone else entirely...
I'm still not sure what REDCODE is, but Jack the Ripper, the guy ripping all the assets was the first to discover the tapes involving Chico and Paz.

abrack08

I feel like you guys are getting dangerously close to posting spoilers regarding Sho. I mean, it's already pretty easy to infer
he has a change of heart/isn't really evil (which is admittedly not a huge surprise) and that he doesn't die in the story (some people were saying he might sacrifice himself to save the others), otherwise no one would think it was possible for him to be the main character of P5.

Sophia

I'm inclined to agree. People really should not be posting stuff like that in this thread. Especially posts like Setsu00's who are doing a gross overreacting on top of it.

Dantis

I'm not sure why you outright posted a spoiler there.

Please remove it.

Your point is valid, but you literally just posted a spoiler. It's still completely valid without it.

Nachos

I feel like you guys are getting dangerously close to posting spoilers regarding Sho. I mean, it's already pretty easy to infer
he has a change of heart/isn't really evil (which is admittedly not a huge surprise) and that he doesn't die in the story (some people were saying he might sacrifice himself to save the others)
, otherwise no one would think it was possible for him to be the main character of P5.

You're right, especially when there's already the spoiler thread.

FluxWaveZ

It was a heck of a Persona day

September's Pm has a cool P4U2 character artworks section with comments on the new designs from Soejima and Wada. Also the inside of the front cover is a nice clean version of the Dengeki cover. Super slick.

Here's my Persona hour compared to your day:
I'll get the P4AU TE2 when it comes out in North America. We were supposed to get info on that this week, but I'm not sure we did.

Also, which card did you get for the DLC? I got Minazuki:

Nachos

I'm not sure why you outright posted a spoiler there.

Please remove it.

Your point is valid, but you literally just posted a spoiler. It's still completely valid without it.

If you're talking to Abrack, I don't see how they're spoilers, when they're unconfirmed speculation spurred by us talking about this outside the spoiler thread. The fact that we're humoring the possibility at all means that there's something contrary to the pre-release information that lends such an otherwise outlandish conclusion any remote sense of credence.

Really, though, we should stop talking about it. Like, now.

Top Bottom