• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

MSMrRound

PSC Episode 7- that something long awaited occurred.

BwNq61yIUAAHMln.jpg:large

Sugita. Now all I hear in my head is Yukiko going "~Infinity Unlimited Flame!!"

Setsu00

I'm loading the episode right now, but did anything exceptional happen at the end of the episode other than this? The Persona Channel post about this episode makes it sound—perhaps jokingly—that something long awaited occurred.

I skipped a lot of it because it was mostly Isomura, Kajita, Tomokazu Sugita (Daisuke Nagase's voice actor, dressed up as Yukiko) and Maskman playing Ultimax. There was another Persora segment, but that seems to be the gist of it. The coolest thing about it was the Chie drawing by Soejima on the blackboard.

Hey guys, what's goin...

[starts to read posts and see people speculating if Sho will be the P5 protagonist]

WHAAAAT

lol

I guess I didn't see any spoilers so I'm okay with this discussion, it's an unconfirmed leak. But now it seems P4AU's story will be very interesting if people are discussing that.

MSMrRound

Ehh...the PStudio team usually go by nicknames during the development phrase.

E.g Yosuke was jokingly called Junpei all the time in the lead up for the development of Persona 4 due to the two characters' similarity in terms of the Magician Arcana and being that right-hand bro that the MC get introduced to.

Probably just a inside joke by Atlus themselves.

abrack08

I'm not sure why you outright posted a spoiler there.

Please remove it.

Your point is valid, but you literally just posted a spoiler. It's still completely valid without it.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, I don't actually know any spoilers, I only posted (and spoiler tagged) what could easily be inferred from the conversation taking place in the thread. I went ahead and added more spoiler tags just in case but I really don't think I spoiled anything...

Everything points to Persona 5 being closely tied to Persona 3 and 4. While this might be a gigantic attempt at trolling the fanbase by Atlus, I'm still disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I love P3 and P4, but I'm tired of the cast after all those spin offs.
Even if Atlus is trolling us, I'm pretty sure the P3 and P4 characters will have a heavy involvement in P5. Atlus turned these characters into merchandise juggernauts and Atlus won't just let free money off the table by not including them in some important fashion.

Setsu00

That's the big question. If nothing noteworthy or exceptionally comedic happened at the end of that episode and the last thing was some kind of TGS stinger, that would be significant. Still loading; have to check this out myself.

At least, I can't remember anything other than that. I'm not too interested in seeing other people play fighting games, so I didn't pay that much attention to it. That TGS thing certainly stuck with me, though.

FluxWaveZ

Even if Atlus is trolling us, I'm pretty sure the P3 and P4 characters will have a heavy involvement in P5. Atlus turned these characters into merchandise juggernauts and Atlus won't just let free money off the table by not including them in some important fashion.

Which is why the P3 and P4 spin-offs exist, and will continue to exist. Including the P3 and P4 characters in P5 in a significant way solely due to marketing would not be forward thinking and would be creatively lame.

I got Marie ^_^

I would have cried.

Sallokin

I'm surprised this Sho=P5Protag stuff is coming back around. I remember people kinda freaking out about it when he was revealed for the arcade version of P4U2 and thinking there just HAD to be a connection. Guess we'll know soon enough (if they reveal anything at TGS).

I would have cried.

The emoticon is me putting on a brave face. I was thoroughly disappointed.

Proof of my despair

Sophia

Which is why the P3 and P4 spin-offs exist, and will continue to exist. Including the P3 and P4 characters in P5 in a significant way solely due to marketing would not be forward thinking and would be creatively lame.

Heh, I'm rather fond of the spinoff games being used for cross-overs like that. It's an easy way to introduce new fans via the main games, while providing fanservice on the side.

Tamanon

Banned

Cloud/Sephiroth

Spinoffs only.

CorvoSol

Heh, I'm rather fond of the spinoff games being used for cross-overs like that. It's an easy way to introduce new fans via the main games, while providing fanservice on the side.

On the one hand, I really enjoy the self contained feeling of P1, P3 and P4, but on the other hand, P2 showed they could have the old gang be around and not have it be horrible, so I don't mind.

Maybe the trip to last game's place is still the best idea, though, like P4's Gekkoukan visit.

Sophia

On the one hand, I really enjoy the self contained feeling of P1, P3 and P4, but on the other hand, P2 showed they could have the old gang be around and not have it be horrible, so I don't mind.

Maybe the trip to last game's place is still the best idea, though, like P4's Gekkoukan visit.

I still think, personally, just having the Shadow Operatives in P5 in a non-intrusive way is the best way to go about it. You need not have the entire casts show up or anything, but just have little references. Both as fanservice, and to solidify that they all take place in the same world.

Meia

Considering how well PQ sold, I wouldn't be too shocked to see another PQ release sometime, cause why not. I could easily see P5 having a whole new cast with nothing to do with the old ones, so they're releasing a lot of stuff with them now.

The only thing fucking with me is the no new Persona 5 info at ALL thing. I know you don't want to overshadow what you're releasing until then, but with both casts I don't think there's much of a danger of that unless you did the old classic "20 minute trailer" thing they did for the previous ones. Still doesn't mean we don't get a SS, or a character, or SOMETHING.

CorvoSol

I still think, personally, just having the Shadow Operatives in P5 in a non-intrusive way is the best way to go about it. You need not have the entire casts show up or anything, but just have little references. Both as fanservice, and to solidify that they all take place in the same world.

Persona 5 will begin with our hero watching TV and dreaming about how cool the Shadow Operatives are. He'll meet Igor on his way to a new town with his younger sibling. When they get there, their host relative will be distant, and they will become embroidered in a mysterious case involving shadows emerging from people by force. They'll make friends with a couple of kids, and a girl who happens to be a robot will be the main love interest. Then they'll find out that the Shadow Operatives let Personas get out of hand, and a madman and his daughter will be using Personas to try to kill Personas to save the world. Akihiko will come forward as a penitent Shadow Operative/burglar and try to offer assistance to this young new group of heroes. The game's eponymous goddess will take the form of an enormous leviathan, covered in pinions, and never be seen.

We'll make an animated series about it, afterward, too.

Sophia

Persona 5 will begin with our hero watching TV and dreaming about how cool the Shadow Operatives are. He'll meet Igor on his way to a new town with his younger sibling. When they get there, their host relative will be distant, and they will become embroidered in a mysterious case involving shadows emerging from people by force. They'll make friends with a couple of kids, and a girl who happens to be a robot will be the main love interest. Then they'll find out that the Shadow Operatives let Personas get out of hand, and a madman and his daughter will be using Personas to try to kill Personas to save the world. Akihiko will come forward as a penitent Shadow Operative/burglar and try to offer assistance to this young new group of heroes. The game's eponymous goddess will take the form of an enormous leviathan, covered in pinions, and never be seen.

Why does this sound awfully familiar? :p

FluxWaveZ

At least, I can't remember anything other than that. I'm not too interested in seeing other people play fighting games, so I didn't pay that much attention to it. That TGS thing certainly stuck with me, though.

Watching it now, the blog post had to have been talking about that because there's nothing else that fits.
It's one of two things, in my mind: either it's about some kind of PSC presence at TGS or it's about a Persona presence at TGS. It might be the former, given the dates they listed which are the public days and do not include the business ones. Maybe they'll have some kind of booth there, like they did at Wonder Festival? Don't know if TGS would be an odd place for that or not. There's the third option of it not being related to Persona at all and both the blog post and this episode are just referring to "TGS is coming up and that's a pretty cool event", but that seems unlikely.

PK Gaming

PqH4twz.gif

arue

I just woke up and missed on the Sho stuff.

All I could say is that Atlus is probably trolling us with that P5HERO thing and let's just wait until TGS some real P5 news.

Also, Setsu please don't overreact. Calm down and think positive.

Setsu00

I just woke up and missed on the Sho stuff.

All I could say is that Atlus is probably trolling us with that P5HERO thing and let's just wait until TGS some real P5 news.

Also, Setsu please don't overreact. Calm down and think positive.

I know. I'm still feeling kinda burnt out on Persona lately.

Nanami_%2818%29.png

Calm down Setsu00. Take a deep, deep breathe and take things slowly.

You only need to look at things from a rational point of view to see that your fears are completely unfounded.

Let's start from the top:

1. Persona protagonists start out as blank slates. They have very little character history (with a few rare exceptions). They're typically surrogates for the player, which makes it possible for players to mold them into however they want. Their character designs also incorporate that ambiguity.

None of that applies to Sho. He has a strong, defined personality. He goes through a significant amount of development in P4AU. It is not possible to have him act or say things in multiple different ways like with past protagonists. Even his design flat out runs counter to that. In other words, he's a bad audience surrogate.

2. This should go without saying, but Sho isn't a normal person. You can't have him going to school like a normal person. He couldn't hold a regular conversation with NPC like a regular person could. I can't elaborate with going into spoilers, but it's very obvious that he's very abnormal.

3. Look at his design.

It's obviously designed with arena in mind. It's got that sharp, arcadey feel to it. An obvious "rival" antagonist character. (I mean for he's got a goddamn scar!). His design simply doesn't make for a good Persona protagonist design. Soejima puts a significant amount of effort into making his protagonists look extremely appealing, and Sho's design simply lacks that pedigree. If Sho were the protagonist of Persona 5, he'd stick out like a sore thumb in every group shot, because his design would clash with the other Persona 5 characters. Consider this classic P3 image:

Persona_3_AD.jpg

Sho could never hope to blend with a hypothetical P5 cast.

4. He's already got a Persona(?). A main tradition in the Persona games is having the protagonist go through an awakening scene. Sho can't go through one because he already has Tsukuyomi(?)

5. He's a fighting game character.

Everyone, please relax and

tumblr_mitbamryEg1qh9y1co1_500.jpg

This makes me feel better.

Freakmonkey

Neo Member
I'd be interested, like if somehow the events of Ulitmax has him either have his mind wiped/killed and reincarnated. But at that point, why would it even matter who he is if they were to make him a blank slate??? Eh, I doubt it being true anyway.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dantis

Persona 4 Golden isn't exactly a nice looking game.

Sure. But the 3DS is underpowered as shit and Atlus don't have huge teams to spend months optimising for it.

I would be very surprised if Atlus got the original Persona 4 running on the 3DS.

Can't be serious right?

Artistically, no. Technically, yes.

Atlus have even said that Persona 3 and 4 were meant to look aesthetically simplistic, rather than try and emulate big budget games.

Can't be serious right?

Compared to other Vita titles, it isn't:
J6K97IG.jpg

hr3BwR1.jpg

And certainly isn't compared to Xenoblade, but I suppose comparing things to Xenoblade is pretty unfair considering how impressive it was.

Sure. But the 3DS is underpowered as shit and Atlus don't have huge teams to spend months optimising for it.

I would be very surprised if Atlus got the original Persona 4 running on the 3DS.

If they can get Xenoblade to work worth a damn to run on the 3DS, P4 would be no problem.

Top Bottom