• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

kewlmyc

3 months today since our last Persona 5 info(the trailer). Hopefully we get something this Week of Playstation that kicks off Wednesday!

Sadly, I think the next news we're getting won't be until that February Persona concert event. We might get an official English release of the TGS trailer at the Playstation event though.

What I like about it is that I actually look forward to exploring the labyrinths. In both P3 and P4 I would try to do the dungeon/floors in one go so I could spend more time with the social links. Here however I find myself itching to go out there and getting every single line scribbled down. Even if I find the stairs, I actually go and draw the other parts that I'm missing.

The writing is superb, and puts my worries to rest. When I played Ultimax I actually had my doubts, did Persona 3 and 4 have this kind of dialogue? Was always like this, and I never noticed it? Why am I not enjoying it as much as I did back then? The writing in this one evokes the same feelings I felt when I played the original games, characters are quirky and fun, but they aren't silly or, non-believable. The dialogue feels natural, and you can actually feel how the character's bonds grow as you play, how their different ideals, which got carried over perfectly into this game (except well... Akihiko lol) making for a wonderful love letter written to all of us fans.

I don't know if they plan on continuing the series, if they do, great! If not I feel like this game will in my mind be a much better farewell to the characters than Ultimax was.

Sophia

I hope in Persona 5 the teenagers aren't full of angst.

Isn't that something that's almost guaranteed? You might as well be asking for a Persona game with no supernatural elements, no godlike beings trying to destroy the world, no puns, or no homosexual subtext. :p

Also, shame on you all who doubted how awesome Persona Q is! Game is so amaaazing, especially thanks to the Sub-Persona system.

Dantis

Basically. Or the School ult costume that Ling Xiaoyu also has iirc

No swimsuits or bikinis. It's a road I'd rather not go down.

I know. My point still stands :p I can't see how Dancing's plot is going to work or make it logical to have everyone in the IT dance. We'll have to wait and see lol, but personally I'm not a huge fan of rhythm games.

The story will be shit, but the game will hopefully be good.

My OT for it will also be GRRRRRRRREAT.

FluxWaveZ

I know. My point still stands :p I can't see how Dancing's plot is going to work or make it logical to have everyone in the IT dance. We'll have to wait and see lol, but personally I'm not a huge fan of rhythm games.

Well, PQ can't really be a farewell to the characters when P4D exists, is what I think Busaiku's point was. Maybe PQ could be a farewell to the P3 crew if they don't have anything else afterwards.

Nap1400

Isn't that something that's almost guaranteed? You might as well be asking for a Persona game with no supernatural elements, no godlike beings trying to destroy the world, no puns, or no homosexual subtext. :p

The sad thing is there are probably people seriously asking for all of these.

Sophia

I'm actually totally serious about the homosexual one. Persona 2 broke quite a few taboos (and was amazingly progressive about it for its time) by including a genuinely well written homosexual relationship. I'd like to see that continued.

The others in my list are basically a given anyhow.

To be fair, the first two are what make the series, and SMT above it, what it is.
But yeah. Everything after that's just dumb shit that caught on.

Except for bear puns. They're okay.

EDIT: P2 was actually genuine. P4, not so much.

EDIT2: Awesome news!

I'm actually totally serious about the homosexual one. Persona 2 broke quite a few taboos (and was amazingly progressive about it for its time) by including a genuinely well written homosexual relationship. I'd like to see that continued.

The others in my list are basically a given anyhow.

Well-written is debatable, the relationship is okay, along with Jun doesn't come of as obnoxious or making it his only defining character trait as it could of been had it been written by a different person. But how the plot is makes it less believable to be honest
because after the shrine fire, there is no sense that he and Tatsuya ever met again after that til he was Joker.
along with Tatsuya is silent in game so it makes me less inclined to believe that there is genuine relationship between the both of them.

Dantis

I think we all want to see different things covered in Persona, because of the way the real world sections of the game cover them, but I also think that whatever themes are covered in the game, they'll be handled well, so I'm not worried.

I think we all want to see different things covered in Persona, because of the way the real world sections of the game cover them, but I also think that whatever themes are covered in the game, they'll be handled well, so I'm not worried.

I expect a few fumbles that can serve as snark bait, but yeah. I'm sure it'll be well done.

EDIT: Of course. There's things in P3 and P4 that I violently hate, but that doesn't stop P4 from being in my top 3. I guess that's just another advantage of its length.

Dantis

I expect a few fumbles that can serve as snark bait, but yeah. I'm sure it'll be well done.

There will be, but I'll just ignore it. People were vocal with things in P4 that I disagreed with, but I just choose not to engage. I think, on the whole, it will be accepted as well done.

Sophia

Well okay. That was random. I just got straight up MegaTen'd.

Not one born of my own mistakes or anything, but a genuine MegaTen'd.

Started the battle, enemy got the advantage, two perfect critical hits straight to the P3 Protagonist in the back row. Dead.

How the hell do odds like that even happen?!

Dantis

PQ is just knocking my socks off, man. Completely amazing. The way they're stretching a small amount of tailored content across a huge length of time without feel like padding reminds me of what the Persona Team does so well.

Just got Naoto's request. The fact that this is a thing is so cool.

I really hope PQ becomes a sub-series. I feel no shame whatsoever in saying that I'd jump for more of this.

Hugstable

Banned

Started the battle, enemy got the advantage, two perfect critical hits straight to the P3 Protagonist in the back row. Dead.

It's like Strange Journey all over again! I had it happen to me today with those damn beetles twice today already, had to take a bit of a break from the game after it happened twice a row like that.

PQ is just knocking my socks off, man. Completely amazing. The way they're stretching a small amount of tailored content across a huge length of time without feel like padding reminds me of what the Persona Team does so well.

I really hope PQ becomes a sub-series. I feel no shame whatsoever in saying that I'd jump for more of this.

I'm really enjoying it also, I like how the characters are done here, and some many treats for fans of the previous games. Still crazy to think there is a whole other side with their own story and character interactions throughout this first dungeons as well.

Dantis

It occurs to me that PQ would really benefit from alternate costumes, because the dialogue bits are all real time.

I'll look forward to them in Persona Q: The Golden.

Xenoflare

It occurs to me that PQ would really benefit from alternate costumes, because the dialogue bits are all real time.

Oh dear.

Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series

Featuring Sho from Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

But no Labrys

arue

More like Persona Q: Violet.

I have to agree with Dantis that PQ is blowing my expectations as well. I thought I was going to get bored with the labyrinth, but I ended up enjoying it more than I should.
PQ-2 for Persona 5 and 6 pls.

PK Gaming

I was hoping you'd run into that request. It's amaaaaaazing.

Really, the non-battle sidequests in this game are awesome.

This is probably the main reason why I would not like to play on Risky. Got a bit on my nerves when this happened, most frequently in Nocturne, since I couldn't really do anything about it. Though of course the chances are small.

Is there any way to get player advantage or not have an enemy get advantage? Since all I really see is that the player can walk around and an encounter will happen, unlike main Persona games where there was a physical shadow to attack.

Is there any way to get player advantage or not have an enemy get advantage? Since all I really see is that the player can walk around and an encounter will happen, unlike main Persona games where there was a physical shadow to attack.

There's a Navigator skill that almost always cancels an enemy's advantage.

Sophia

This is probably the main reason why I would not like to play on Risky. Got a bit on my nerves when this happened, most frequently in Nocturne, since I couldn't really do anything about it. Though of course the chances are small.

It's really not actually that bad. The reason why I mentioned this specific case of getting MegaTen'd is because it's such a rare occurrence. The enemy didn't just strike my protagonist twice in the back row, but they CRITICALLY HIT too. The odds it happening were like insane. XD

So far this is the only time I've been MegaTen'd in a 15 hour gameplay. That's not bad at all for Risky.

Now this is DLC content I'd buy. MAKE IT SO ATLUS.

There's a Navigator skill that almost always cancels an enemy's advantage.

OK that's cool. I guess that people have sub-personas with basically all of their skills related to exploring.

It's really not actually that bad. The reason why I mentioned this specific case of getting MegaTen'd is because it's such a rare occurrence. The enemy didn't just strike my protagonist twice in the back row, but they CRITICALLY HIT too. The odds it happening were like insane. XD

So far this is the only time I've been MegaTen'd in a 15 hour gameplay. That's not bad at all for Risky.

Yeah, it's rare, but I get pretty annoyed when it does :p. Fortunately, in main Persona games I don't think it's that bad (happened once in P3FES where I got crit 3X in a row but I guess I can blame myself for missing player advantage).

In Nocturne, outside of times I got Hama'd or Mudo'd on enemy advantage (only really remember this happening a couple times actually, near the beginning of the game) there was one time where the enemy cast a spell with a chance to put all enemies to sleep and hit 3/4 of my team, followed by the another enemy charming my remaining member, then followed by a move that instantly kills all enemies who are asleep, killing my protagonist and 2 other demons. Though I admit I was half-laughing after that happened since the odds have to be really low for that to happen, since I don't recall any of my demons being weak to ailments and I was about the same level as the enemy if not higher.

Though hopefully, if you got P3 Hero's darkness weakness covered it shouldn't be too bad (probably a good idea to get electricity covered on the safe side I guess).

In Persona Q,
I'm on the 5th labyrinth that I was absolutely expecting. Chronos revealed himself as an aspect of death, and I have this feeling Rei knew everything all along because she's certainly been acting suspicious as all hell after every boss fight.
I'll probably clean up house and finish the P4 story once Finals are over.

Gazoinks

So what side did you all pick, and what did you name the protagonist(s)?

P4 for life! I used the random name generator because the character limit ruined both my plan to use the canon names and my secondary plan to name them after Kaneko and Soejima. -_-

Oh the protagonist you choose remains silent? Bummer.
I wouldn't mind it at all if Persona got rid of silent Protagonists.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if the Protagonist just got some lines to use in-battle, rather than have support speak for them.

But something that would be useful is sticking with a canon name that characters actually say. (See P3's Answer and its constant use of 'him' to see what happens otherwise)

Top Bottom