• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

FluxWaveZ

We might hear more about Persona 5 next month, as I had always pictured a proper reveal in August and Soejima stating "pretty soon" is similar to Hashino's "soon" last year, before the November 24 event. But then there's P4D, which they might want to focus new media attention towards particularly, and they might not want to take attention away from P4AU, either.

It might be cleaner for them to just wait until P4D is released and speak about P5 then, when there are no other "competing" Persona games.

Edit: Or they'll just reveal it tomorrow on Persona Stalker Club.

Moonlight

Banned
Out of boredom, I was browsing through the P4 character sheet on TVTropes and something caught my eye about Rise's entry:

I understand that it's a wiki entry, but I was wondering if anyone picked up on this?
I, personally, never saw anything of the sort.
Did I miss something or is this entry nothing?
:lol TVTropes

Sophia

Out of boredom, I was browsing through the P4 character sheet on TVTropes and something caught my eye about Rise's entry:

I understand that it's a wiki entry, but I was wondering if anyone picked up on this?

Just someone who added their own incorrect interpretation in order to push an angle that's not even there. Someone should remove it. If it's that subtle, and the person can't explain it, it's not an example.

CorvoSol

I never once saw Rise that way. She teases Kanji about it one time off screen in his social link, and then goes back on what she said later on. Otherwise Rise teasing people is because Rise is a tease. And it's not like Kanji doesn't throw shit back in her face all the time.

Honestly I kinda felt the two of them had a good offscreen friendship. They show up to stuff together fairly often, and when it comes time for people to call people it always seems Rise is calling Kanji.

I don't know how to say this other than that I think sometimes the fandom is way, way too defensive of Kanji. Yes, Yosuke and Rise tease him, shit, the player can, too, but these guys are all teenagers and ribbing one another is part of strengthening teenage bonds. I'm not sure how many times the game needs to spell out that the cast of P4 loves each other before some people let go of the dickish stuff they do to each other and realizes that these kids do.

I mean if your love is so infectious that a killbot having an omnicidal breakdown because of demonic interference can be saved and included into the group immediately, I think teasing is just teasing.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
We might hear more about Persona 5 next month, as I had always pictured a proper reveal in August and Soejima stating "pretty soon" is similar to Hashino's "soon" last year, before the November 24 event. But then there's P4D, which they might want to focus new media attention towards particularly, and they might not want to take attention away from P4AU, either.

It might be cleaner for them to just wait until P4D is released and speak about P5 then, when there are no other "competing" Persona games.

Edit: Or they'll just reveal it tomorrow on Persona Stalker Club.

I think you're mistaking the general term "soon" for ATLUS' own "Soon™."

I never once saw Rise that way. She teases Kanji about it one time off screen in his social link, and then goes back on what she said later on. Otherwise Rise teasing people is because Rise is a tease. And it's not like Kanji doesn't throw shit back in her face all the time.

Honestly I kinda felt the two of them had a good offscreen friendship. They show up to stuff together fairly often, and when it comes time for people to call people it always seems Rise is calling Kanji.

I don't know how to say this other than that I think sometimes the fandom is way, way too defensive of Kanji. Yes, Yosuke and Rise tease him, shit, the player can, too, but these guys are all teenagers and ribbing one another is part of strengthening teenage bonds. I'm not sure how many times the game needs to spell out that the cast of P4 loves each other before some people let go of the dickish stuff they do to each other and realizes that these kids do.

I mean if your love is so infectious that a killbot having an omnicidal breakdown because of demonic interference can be saved and included into the group immediately, I think teasing is just teasing.

Not quite sure what you're referring to, but thanks.

King Fost

Neo Member

I dunno, I don't think it's just Kanji (though it's certainly a large part of it), I honestly think that people can just be really oversensitive in general about the cast. Like I remember reading a topic on the atlus forums and some people legitimately thought that Chie and Yosuke, honest to god, hated each other. Purely because they bicker and tease each other. It kind of makes you what kind of friendships these people have.

It's honestly funny to me how some people are more offended by the teasing more than Kanji himself is. It's not like he's made out of glass or anything, he even does his own teasing on occasion.

On another topic, be patient guys and don't panic about Persona 5 and stuff. It'll be ready when it's ready, whether it be for info, release, or whatever.

YWPF8JC.png

Acid08

Banned
I think Kanji has so many defenders because he's the most relatable character of the cast. His whole thing is being shamed by others for being different which I'm sure A LOT of Persona fans can relate to in one way or another. By extension it can feel like the other characters are attacking you when they make fun of Kanji.

Lunar15

I think Kanji has so many defenders because he's the most relatable character of the cast. His whole thing is being shamed by others for being different which I'm sure A LOT of Persona fans can relate to in one way or another. By extension it can feel like the other characters are attacking you when they make fun of Kanji.

I think it's more just that his writing is really solid and he's a tough guy character with a soft side.

I didn't mind the teasing between friends because they all teased each other pretty equally. Hell, if anything, I'd say Yosuke was the butt of more jokes than anyone. But it made sense because he put himself in those situations.

Also, that tvtropes thing about Rise holds no weight. Kanji's issues are less about sexuality and more about gender roles. Yes, they allude to sexual confusion, with the climax being his sexually charged dungeon, but the overall point they're making with Kanji is almost definitely about not letting gender conventions define your behavior. People use that to extrapolate that Kanji is explicitly gay, however, not only is this not explicit, but it's slightly refuted by his persistent crush on Naoto. Now, If someone wants to believe that Kanji is gay, I still think they left it open-ended enough that you could do that if you wanted, and quite frankly, I've got no issue with that. But don't misunderstand the point of his social link, which is to free him from the pressure of society's conventions about how a man should act.

See, I think what the writers were going for this: Kanji likes things that don't match up with how men are expected to behave. Therefore, the societal description for that kind of person is that they're homosexual. Kanji isn't sure if he's homosexual, so when Naoto comes into the picture and confuses him further, his dungeon takes the form of that sexual confusion. Once you beat his dungeon, Kanji realizes that it wasn't sexual confusion, but rather just a desire to be accepted for who he is. From then, his social link reverts back to him fighting against gender (not sexual) conventions.

pan-hime

I recently did a WHOIS on persona5.jp again, and I noticed it was recently updated again, this time on July 1, 2014. On June 8, 2014, the domain was updated to change the owner from index corporation to ATLUS CO.,LTD. and to renew the domain. This update, however, seems to be different. While there is no info on what was updated, as this is only a WHOIS; something definitely has changed in order for that update to be reflected. I guess we'll find out when the time comes.

the site was about to expire on that day this year. Just a renewal.

Reactions:

Old guy? Mr. Cool? lol Poor Kanji. "Yes! *cut-in*" Wow poor Kanji and Teddie, without those motorcycles. Ohh pervy Yosuke and Teddie hahaha Mmm these swimsuits are new compared to the videogame, huh. So Teddie didn't know Marie? Teddie popping out of his suit is awesome. Huh, Rise doesn't know about her either. Woah Margaret hates Rise? o_O OMG Speedo Kanji! Just like Aki! Dem Emperors hahaha. "Wait Kanji why aren't you getting nosebleeds over me?" Why would I do that?" LOL Damn it, Teddie lol OH GOD KANJI! asdfghhjkl Kanji's "swimsuit" "The birth of Venus! I'm ready to be born dammit!" Philosophical Yosuke is awesome. Wow, that sand Teddie was pretty accurate. The artwork of Yosuke, Chie and Teddie was pretty good. "Not happening, you're a slacker" Smart Teddie lol That was a pretty good segment.
Tamaya?
I really love the perv friendship of Yosuke and Teddie. Everyone telling their experiences was awesome and heartwarming.

This episode was pretty good. Yosuke, Kanji and Teddie were a lot of fun. I really like that Rise hates Marie lol And hey, the next episode seems to mention something about Mayonaka Quiz, didn't Yukiko mentioned that in her P4U video?

Also, that tvtropes thing about Rise holds no weight. Kanji's issues are less about sexuality and more about gender roles. Yes, they allude to sexual confusion, with the climax being his sexually charged dungeon, but the overall point they're making with Kanji is almost definitely about not letting gender conventions define your behavior. People use that to extrapolate that Kanji is explicitly gay, however, not only is this not explicit, but it's slightly refuted by his persistent crush on Naoto. Now, If someone wants to believe that Kanji is gay, I still think they left it open-ended enough that you could do that if you wanted, and quite frankly, I've got no issue with that. But don't misunderstand the point of his social link, which is to free him from the pressure of society's conventions about how a man should act.

See, I think what the writers were going for this: Kanji likes things that don't match up with how men are expected to behave. Therefore, the societal description for that kind of person is that they're homosexual. Kanji isn't sure if he's homosexual, so when Naoto comes into the picture and confuses him further, his dungeon takes the form of that sexual confusion. Once you beat his dungeon, Kanji realizes that it wasn't sexual confusion, but rather just a desire to be accepted for who he is. From then, his social link reverts back to him fighting against gender (not sexual) conventions.
True. I get the impression that some people have ended up relating to the characters to such a degree, they end up projecting aspects of themselves onto already defined characters. (homosexual, bullied, or - in Naoto's case - Transexual)
Anyone else think that's the case? Or is it just people skipping over important details?

Lunar15

True. I get the impression that some people have ended up relating to the characters to such a degree, they end up projecting aspects of themselves onto already defined characters. (homosexual, bullied, or - in Naoto's case - Transexual)
Anyone else think that's the case? Or is it just people skipping over important details?

I have no problems if people do that. In fact, Kanji's plight against social conventions is still a strongly resonant for homosexuals, transexuals, and anyone who's shamed for being different, regardless of his sexuality. The point (of the whole game) is that we can't let society dictate how we see ourselves. We have to be comfortable with who we are.

The Rise thing is just a total overreaction. At no point does this game imply that the characters are not friends. Friends tease each other, and they do so because they understand each other.

It does get your anger up when someone goes too far, but then you realize he's way big and has a mean left hook so then you fear for them.

next week... in game magazines...

C'mon tuesday
of some indeterminate week

arue

P4GA episode 3 thoughts:

I haven't played P4G, so I though the inclusion of Marie in the beach event wasn't that bad. I really liked the
video camera and the fireworks
scenes too. Looks like most of the budget went on the backgrounds and the fireworks.

Overall a decent episode. I look forward to the ski episode~

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
I posted this earlier but I'll do it again since I think it's really neat.

I'm trying to decipher the lyrics of the P4G anime opening, seems to reinforce the idea that it's New Game Plus the Animation.

He's standing right in your shoes and you feel like you're in his too.
One day he showed up right next to you, how strange that you should only notice now.
The hero you know is gone, just the memory of a past life.
He's back in full force(?). He's leading the way, has something changed?
Blah blah blah
Grab your next chance to become whatever you want.
The next chance to move on.
The next chance to find out where you belong.

Not sure if this has already been pointed out, but it's really clever imo
Also the song's really catchy

PK Gaming

The P4 TV tropes article is filled wild inaccuracies and general fiction. It's best to just avoid it completely.

No, she didn't meet Teddie and Rise until they were already at the beach.

Agreed.
The parts they extracted from her social link totally weigh down the originally lighthearted event, which functioned to celebrate the group as a whole. It turned it more into the group revolving around Marie and her terribly written self discovery journey.

For instance the part where Yosuke, Yu and Kanji were overlooking the others building a sand castle...that originally functioned for Yosuke to reflect on the closure they had in the capture of Mitsuo. He wanted to continue the rest of the days with the group with the same happiness that they had now, hence the plan for a ski trip in the future. Instead, that was cut out in favor of Marie's totally obtuse questions, multiple close ups of her contemplating the answers and then a scene switch to the velvet room.

Right? Marie ended up dragging down the whole beach experience because of her ironclad grip on the the spotlight. What was once a wacky get together between friends is now a vehicle for Marie's angst-ridden character development. I'm glad you pointed out the male bonding scene between Yu, Yosuke and Kanji, because that was right around the time I completely lost my patience with that episode. The camera even ends up panning away from Yosuke and co during that scene just to focus on Marie.
And don't get me started on the video recording scene... talk about cringeworthy. Persona 4 can be cheesy at times, but this was on a completely differently level.

At least Yukiko looked amazing

/rant

Just watched the 3rd episode of P4GA. Man I can't remember the last time I laughed this hard at anything
the Kanji scene is what I am talking about. I lost it LOL.

Andrefpvs

Just watched the 3rd episode of P4GA. Man I can't remember the last time I laughed this hard at anything
the Kanji scene is what I am talking about. I lost it LOL.

That scene in the game is one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen.

Hearing Troy Baker's Kanji yelling
"HOLY SHIT! THE WARDROBE MALFUNCTION WAS MINE!"...
It was amazing. That scene's localization was top notch.

Marie having a persona in Ultimax means she's a pretty awful friend/person in Golden. I mean, Yu & Co. would have accepted all the help they could get when
rescuing people Marie would later call friends,
but noooo, she just sits back in her comfy limo ride.

It also would make sense for her to have been playable in Golden, too.

Matt Mercer's Kanji, actually. They kept Troy's lines from Vanilla P4, but Matt did the lines for the added content.
That's not true. Troy Baker voices Kanji in Golden, too. They redid ALL of Chie's & Teddie's voices in Golden since their original VAs couldn't return, Kanji's no different.

That scene in the game is one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen.

Hearing Troy Baker's Kanji yelling
"HOLY SHIT! THE WARDROBE MALFUNCTION WAS MINE!"...
It was amazing. That scene's localization was top notch.

Matt Mercer's Kanji, actually. They kept Troy's lines from Vanilla P4, but Matt did the lines for the added content.

That's not true. Troy Baker voices Kanji in Golden, too. They redid ALL of Chie's & Teddie's voices in Golden since their original VAs couldn't return, Kanji's no different.
Really? The added lines sounded a bit off compared to Baker's lines in Arena. I figured the timeframe for P4G's recording was close to the latter half of the Anime, when Baker was unavailable.

EDIT:
Well, learn something new every day.

Xenoflare

Really? The added lines sounded a bit off compared to Baker's lines in Arena. I figured the timeframe for P4G's recording was close to the latter half of the Anime, when Baker was unavailable.

Troy Baker is back for P4G, same with Naoto's original VA.

Matthew Mercer voiced him in the latter half of the anime, new lines for P4AU, PQ and probably Dancing All Night.

redhairedking

So I've got a quick question about P4G and levelling.
I am at the battle with Adachi and to my understanding I will not have much, if any, time to prepare for Marie's dungeon afterwards. About what level should I be at for Marie on normal? My party average right now is 73 ish.

Top Bottom