• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Just completed Persona Q with the P3 protagonist. Pretty good, I'd give it a 7.5/10.

The good:
Addictive cycle. Explore the dungeon, return to the hub, sell your drops, unlock new equipment. Not to mention all the persona fusion you'll be wanting to do.
The character interactions are great, and you'll love the callbacks to P3 and P4 if you were a fan of those games.
Rei is ADORABLE.
Dungeons cleverly use their individual gimmicks and FOE characteristics to give you puzzles to solve to progress. I'd say the dungeon puzzles are even better than in EO, which admittedly is more about general exploration rather than puzzle solving. Unlocking shortcuts in dungeons feels as good as in EO.

The bad:
The characters are too quick to point out how to solve a puzzle.
Compared to the comprehensive SQL database you had in SMTIV, your fusion search options in this game are much more limited. The rules for which skills can be inherited is also rather unclear and arbitrary.
With regards to battle, the game is generally easy. Your characters' ability to sustain themselves during a dungeon trip is too good. You can make it out of battles with normal mobs without having spent any HP/SP, if you use the right skill setups. (How easy it is to get those setups is debatable) This allows you easily to map out an entire floor of a dungeon before you have to go back to clear your inventory. The game is also heavily biased to encourage usage of
physical skills over magic, with the exception of Hama/Mudo, due to the easy access to HP restoration.
While the character interaction is great, the actual plot I found rather underwhelming.

EDIT: one more thing I forgot, menu navigation can be REALLY annoying. Depending on which screen you are at you might not be able to press the shoulder buttons to swap the character you're viewing, and sometimes you have to use left and right in addition to up and down to view the information you need.

Dantis

IT'S A THING NOW

THEME WEEK RETURNS

EVERYONE DRAW ELLY

yIuTtPV.png

Feels like I killed this character design here but w/e.
Updating my Persona CD catalog this weekend. Going to order Persora and because I love torture, the club re-mix album.

Do you have the PQ OST yet? Mine still hasn't arrived. :(

Do you have the PQ OST yet? Mine still hasn't arrived. :(

Never ordered it, not a fan of the few tracks I've heard. But considering I am thinking of getting the Club album, I might swap it out for the PQ OST.

Also that is taking it's sweet time. Can be up to a month though. Freight boat ahoy!

Y'know about the Makoto thing....I could careless if he's in or not.

So you want him in?

Oh, I will. And it will be awful.

I'll crack out the felt tip pens once I've seen it.

Marie looks great. I still want to know how that weather system works. So many new characters that I want to try...

Just completed Persona Q with the P3 protagonist. Pretty good, I'd give it a 7.5/10.

The good:
Addictive cycle. Explore the dungeon, return to the hub, sell your drops, unlock new equipment. Not to mention all the persona fusion you'll be wanting to do.
The character interactions are great, and you'll love the callbacks to P3 and P4 if you were a fan of those games.
Rei is ADORABLE.
Dungeons cleverly use their individual gimmicks and FOE characteristics to give you puzzles to solve to progress. I'd say the dungeon puzzles are even better than in EO, which admittedly is more about general exploration rather than puzzle solving. Unlocking shortcuts in dungeons feels as good as in EO.

The bad:
The characters are too quick to point out how to solve a puzzle.
Compared to the comprehensive SQL database you had in SMTIV, your fusion search options in this game are much more limited. The rules for which skills can be inherited is also rather unclear and arbitrary.
With regards to battle, the game is generally easy. Your characters' ability to sustain themselves during a dungeon trip is too good. You can make it out of battles with normal mobs without having spent any HP/SP, if you use the right skill setups. (How easy it is to get those setups is debatable) This allows you easily to map out an entire floor of a dungeon before you have to go back to clear your inventory. The game is also heavily biased to encourage usage of
physical skills over magic, with the exception of Hama/Mudo, due to the easy access to HP restoration.
While the character interaction is great, the actual plot I found rather underwhelming.

How long did it take you? Are you planning on playing with the P4 protagonist now?

Updating my Persona CD catalog this weekend. Going to order Persora and because I love torture, the club re-mix album.

RIP Dave.

Rikkun

So uh, hey.
I've been searching for a while for a game for my summer vacation, and since I decided to bring my Vita with me I got LEGO Batman 2 which is super boring to me and MGS which is giving me headaches with its VO and controls (don't know why), so I thought I could try some other Persona title. I played P3FES until maybe halfway, P4G until the end and loved it, especially the soundtrack.

Since SMTIV is nowhere to be seen here in Europe.. what could I get? Does P2IS hold up? Does it take a lot of time to start? Is it worth the 30€ tag it has on the store? Or should I pick up P1 for 10€? I guess there aren't any other SMT-like games on the store, right?

(I liked A LOT the music in P4G, and the FFWD during videos since I could read the text most of times anyway and it saved me A LOT of time, so I didn't end up getting bored and even got the true ending and I'm not really a jRPG lover)

Thanks!

Dantis

So uh, hey.
I've been searching for a while for a game for my summer vacation, and since I decided to bring my Vita with me I got LEGO Batman 2 which is super boring to me and MGS which is giving me headaches with its VO and controls (don't know why), so I thought I could try some other Persona title. I played P3FES until maybe halfway, P4G until the end and loved it, especially the soundtrack.

Since SMTIV is nowhere to be seen here in Europe.. what could I get? Does P2IS hold up? Does it take a lot of time to start? Is it worth the 30€ tag it has on the store? Or should I pick up P1 for 10€? I guess there aren't any other SMT-like games on the store, right?

(I liked A LOT the music in P4G, and the FFWD during videos since I could read the text most of times anyway and it saved me A LOT of time, so I didn't end up getting bored and even got the true ending and I'm not really a jRPG lover)

Thanks!

I'll just go ahead and start this off by saying that there aren't any games that are particularly similar to Persona 3 and 4, and Persona 1 and Persona 2 are typical JRPGs. If you don't like JRPGs generally, I wouldn't recommend them.

P1 and P2IS are both good games, they are playable, though can be a little frustrating at spots. I can tell you right now though that P2IS is not worth 30€.

Marie looks great. I still want to know how that weather system works. So many new characters that I want to try...

How long did it take you? Are you planning on playing with the P4 protagonist now?

RIP Dave.

How long did it take you to complete?

I was playing on Hard mode, completed all the sidequests available to me (no idea if P4MC has different sidequests, or if there are extra for playing NG+), and unlocked about 95% of the equipment in the shop, my persona compendium is about 80% complete. I've got an impressive 95(!) hours on the clock.

Oh yes, for those wondering about NG+, you can choose to import
your levels, compendium, items, equipment and money (all these things come together)
and/or your map

I'm still deciding if I immediately want to do a Risky run with P4MC, and what I should import if I do so.

Rikkun

I'll just go ahead and start this off by saying that there aren't any games that are particularly similar to Persona 3 and 4, and Persona 1 and Persona 2 are typical JRPGs. If you don't like JRPGs generally, I wouldn't recommend them.
Everytime I think about it I wonder why I liked P4... it was probably the blend of the two parts. And having no fatigue to care about in the dungeon was good too for me.
P1 and P2IS are both good games, they are playable, though can be a little frustrating at spots. I can tell you right now though that P2IS is not worth 30€.
All right, then I'll wait for a discount on P2IS. I saw a gameplay vid of P1 and the combat weirded me out a little, maybe a frustrating game for the beach isn't the best choice.

What about P3P? I think I read somewhere it has no cutscenes, correct? I don't really care about the FES part, and I'll sure wait for a price drop since it's 30€ on the EU store and I basically already have the game on PS2.

"In it for the ladies"

I think I've read that, or dreamt about it.

Everytime All right, then I'll wait for a discount on P2IS. I saw a gameplay vid of P1 and the combat weirded me out a little, maybe a frustrating game for the beach isn't the best choice.

What about P3P? I think I read somewhere it has no cutscenes, correct? I don't really care about the FES part, and I'll sure wait for a price drop since it's 30€ on the EU store and I basically already have the game on PS2.

P3P is a good choice. No animated scenes, navigation is simplified but you have control over your party members, similar to P4 so that's a plus. Also FeMC.

Can't believe P3P is also 30€...

Rikkun

I think I've read that, or dreamt about it.

P3P is a good choice. No animated scenes, navigation is simplified but you have control over your party members, similar to P4 so that's a plus. Also FeMC.

Can't believe P3P is also 30€...
Nice, I'll wait for this one too then!

P2IS is actually being discounted right now. It's $5 on PSN.

It's the same in mainland EU. And having a single account on my Vita ties me to shitty prices :(

Thanks for the help everybody! I'll jump back for P5!

LX_Theo

Banned
After the Dantis picture duped so many desperate people out there... I wonder if the same thing was done with P2 or P1 characters on it, whether it'd also work.

Marie Trailer

Marie: We were able to meet again... Welcome back. I never forgot.
Marie: It's this room's rules, so I can't talk specifics. But... You already noticed, right? That something crazy is starting to happen in this town.
Marie: ...! You stupid dense, zero tact, airhead love machine! You're too honest... Idiot.
Marie: ...Go on. You're the one who can do this. One more thing: The culprit in this case is...
Marie: That pain is eternal! The tsundere poem-er of the empty forest! Marie!
Marie: That fog isn't something I know... Why...?
Marie: Is this what they call a trial?
Marie: If you try and destroy this town... My town that I spent time in with everyone... I definitely won't forgive you. The story definitely won't end here. Right?
Marie: I'll teach you the single truth!
Marie: 'Don't cry,' and 'Thank you, baby.'

Setsu00

Marie Trailer

Marie: It's this room's rules, so I can't talk specifics. But... You already noticed, right? That something crazy is starting to happen in this town.
Marie: ...! You stupid dense, zero tact, airhead love machine! You're too honest... Idiot.
Marie: ...Go on. You're the one who can do this. One more thing: The culprit in this case is...
Marie: If you try and destroy this town... My town that I spent time in with everyone... I definitely won't forgive you. The story definitely won't end here. Right?

Did you translate this? If so, good job! Some lines are a tad too literal, though.

Dantis

Another awesome piece of artwork from KR0NPR1NZ:

marie_sketch_by_kr0npr1nz-d7s1re7.jpg

Man, he's really good. I like his desaturated colouring style a lot.

Marie Trailer

Blerg. Here we go again.

Im tempted to play golden just to see what everyone's beef is with Marie. I may youtube her Slink and dungeon later on.

Dantis, will you be getting Ultimax? Or are you still determined not to?

King Fost

Neo Member
Im tempted to play golden just to see what everyone's beef is with Marie. I may youtube her Slink and dungeon later on.

Just not a very good character. I think the hate's a bit overblown though.

I myself simply don't give a shit about her, which in some ways might be more damning than actual hate.

A character I wish was implemented better and fleshed out but I did enjoy how she fit into the story as a whole, particularly with the True Ending. Her bit in the Epilogue was funny too actually.

Her S.Link was fine and easy to max out, her dungeon has a shitty throwback mechanic yet was easy to get around and had nice music.

Now, for people who are maybe going to draw the character but haven't played P1 or P2, that is her P1 look. Her P2 look is completely different! Her P2 look isn't as popular but I still think its good and worth posting! Note: One of those Elly renders was from a magazine scan, and I wasn't sure if posting old old scans was allowed (probably not) so I cropped out the elly, but you can see the mag crap on her legs lol.

Top Bottom