• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Famitsu is advertising this week's issue will contain information about a highly anticipated sequel that we haven't seen much of yet.
I'm speaking, of course, about Square Enix's Bravely Second.

Yea Elly week will last until Thursday cuz thats the day it started

Technically it started on a Wednesday, when a malevolent entity contacted me and suggested a drawing of Elly.

Doi's art is great, but SMT4 made me realise that he can't do stylish stuff.

Which is fine for SMT, but I think that it's a key part of Persona's look at this point.

PsWGkqV.png

Ah yes, style for miles.

Sophia

Marie is that friend that almost everyone has that spends far too long in Hot Topic and kindly disregards any fashion advice. >_>;

Weirdly, it almost works for her. Until you include the Velvet Room hat and bag at least....

Dantis

I've said it a million times before, but Marie is meant to look like a Scene kid. Which is an alternative fashion sense. Because Marie is otherworldly and whatnot.

Sophia

I've said it a million times before, but Marie is meant to look like a Scene kid. Which is an alternative fashion sense. Because Marie is otherworldly and whatnot.

Looks like a piss-poor emulation of the scene subculture.
Which actually probably isn't far off, given Marie's status as an avatar of a godlike being who understands nothing about humans.

She could make it work with some adjustments tho.
One of those changes would be replacing the hat with glasses, which she actually does do in the epilogue,

Dantis

Looks like a piss-poor emulation of the scene subculture.
Which actually probably isn't far off, given Marie's status as an avatar of a godlike being who understands nothing about humans.

She could make it work with some adjustments tho.
One of those changes would be replacing the hat with glasses, which she actually does do in the epilogue,

...No it doesn't. It looks like if you tried to draw a Scene kid in Persona 4. Which is what it is. The only part of her outfit that's 'wrong' is that it isn't disheveled and grungy, but that wouldn't fit Persona 4's aesthetic.

Actually it looks like if you tried to make an Original Character Do Not Steal out of Shiki from The World Ends With You.

Which, speaking of, I went looking for a picture of FAST FOOD WORKER in P4DAN and saw a close up of Rise's clothes, and, um, are all those things supposed to be zippers? Surely not?

Sophia

...No it doesn't. It looks like if you tried to draw a Scene kid in Persona 4. Which is what it is. The only part of her outfit that's 'wrong' is that it isn't disheveled and grungy, but that wouldn't fit Persona 4's aesthetic.

I dunno what your idea of a a scene kid is, but in Marie's case it literally looks like she saw the style and went into stores like Hot-Topic to emulate it. :p

Not that it really matters, the whole scene kid style and look is kind of silly anyhow.

Dantis

Actually it looks like if you tried to make an Original Character Do Not Steal out of Shiki from The World Ends With You.

Which, speaking of, I went looking for a picture of FAST FOOD WORKER in P4DAN and saw a close up of Rise's clothes, and, um, are all those things supposed to be zippers? Surely not?

I was trying to work this out, also. My assumption would be that they're fake zips. Like, stylistically they're meant to look like zips but functionally they don't actually, you know, zip.

I was trying to work this out, also. My assumption would be that they're fake zips. Like, stylistically they're meant to look like zips but functionally they don't actually, you know, zip.

So Soejima is borrowing a page or two from the Tetsuya Nomura School of Character Design :p

Dantis

So Soejima is borrowing a page or two from the Tetsuya Nomura School of Character Design :p

There is a theory that the character designs in P4D aren't Soejima, due to him being labelled "Original character designer".

We might be able to tell when/if Naoto is shown. If she's wearing an outfit similar to Rise's, it probably isn't Soejima designing the outfits.

Squire

Banned
There is a theory that the character designs in P4D aren't Soejima, due to him being labelled "Original character designer".

We might be able to tell when/if Naoto is shown. If she's wearing an outfit similar to Rise's, it probably isn't Soejima designing the outfits.

You are the only person that holds that theory, I'm pretty sure.

Edit: Hahahaha, definitely not. That wouldn't confirm anything other than Soejima being more liberal in his depiction of Naoto than you.

Or perhaps not, Mr. Catsuit! :b

Dantis

Doesn't make it wrong! :p

Soejima draws characters in-character. Naoto dresses in a pretty conservative way (even in his PxD art), so if she isn't dressed like that in P4D, it probably isn't him designing how she looks.

Also it wasn't me who realised the Original Character Designer thing. It was someone else on here, I believe.

Setsu00

Edit: Hahahaha, definitely not. That wouldn't confirm anything other than Soejima being more liberal in his depiction of Naoto than you.

Or perhaps not, Mr. Catsuit! :b

Nope, I'm thinking the same thing. As Dantis pointed out, Soejima is the "Original Character Designer", which is something Atlus never did before.

Squire

Banned
Doesn't make it wrong! :p

Soejima draws characters in-character. Naoto dresses in a pretty conservative way (even in his PxD art), so if she isn't dressed like that in P4D, it probably isn't him designing how she looks.

Also it wasn't me who realised the Original Character Designer thing. It was someone else on here, I believe.

Soejima is part of team and more than likely someone that, while making significant contributions to the project, still has to adhere to a final word. The final word being Hashino's, probably.

If they put Naoto in P4D, he'll design an outfit that fits the premise and her personality. No, probably not perfectly, but a midpoint. Now I know you'll probably say, "but she'd never do something like that/wear something like this", but really (and I mean no offense) there's just no pleasing that mindstate and thus no use getting hung up on it.

This title stuff is silly to me. Until they say otherwise, Soejima's the designer.

Kaneko mentioned in an interview that he felt that his visual style didn't fit the nature of Persona anymore. There's also the rumor that Kaneko dislikes games that put emphasis on the social stuff.

I disagree that he is the better artist, but I think Soejima is perfect for Persona and Kaneko thought so too. He is off Persona by his own volition, he didn't think his artstyle fit the series anymore and he hand picked Soejima after his work on P2 and Soul Hackers.

I was completely unaware of this. Guess that clears it up. This is also the reason why I would like to see a new lead for the future games.

Soejima is part of team and more than likely someone that, while making significant contributions to the project, still has to adhere to a final word. The final word being Hashino's, probably.

Either Hashino or Tatsuya Shoji. I'm leaning with Soejima not being the character designer. Something like, here's some rules and suggestions, go nuts.

Setsu00

You're reading into nothing.

No, Dantis does have a point. There is usually a reason why someone isn't credited as the character designer, but as original character designer. This happens a lot when an anime is adapted from another source like a manga or a game since the animators usually have to change some parts of the designs like some colors to work better on the screen. P4GA for example lists Soejima under "Character Concept and Persona Design" while Yu Shindo did the actual designs for animation.

This means that at least one other artist is involved in the character design process. Now, considering that character design for games and character design for anime have some significant differences, I think it's likely that someone at Dingo is doing the actual designs based on Soejima's original P4 cast and that Atlus uses Soejima's name for marketing purposes in the same fashion Square Enix uses Tetsuya Nomura's name.

Also, we might find out about this (in case we still don't have any new information on this subject) once the credits for P4AU pop up. Rise is during an animated sequence in her P4D outfit, so they might give the outfit designer some credit.

Haha, you do know that darkside989 posts here under the name TheTrueSelf, right? He's a gem among gems, for sure.

I think this is the third case of someone not reaizing that TheTrueSelf is a regular here?

GAF > Internet > GAF at any rate. :D

And that Elly Danganronpa is pretty awesome.

Hahaha, this does seem to keep happening, huh? Guess it means I need to post here more often!

But yeah, that PxDR piece can count as mine towards Elly week-- if we're doing a Lisa week next, then I'm already prepared for that... ;D

Soejima 'original' character spiel

Am I the only one who thinks that maybe Soejima designed the character's initial DAN costumes, ie the ones they wear as soon as you unlock them (and probably be used in the story mode), and then there will be other unlockable costumes designed by the other artists (which can be used in 'free play')?

If we compare DAN to the project Diva games, those have a wiiiiiiide selection of costumes to choose from. Hopefully this will follow the same trend.

Or not, it could be nothing. Whatever, I'm tired.

Setsu00

Am I the only one who thinks that maybe Soejima designed the character's initial DAN costumes, ie the ones they wear as soon as you unlock them (and probably be used in the story mode), and then there will be other unlockable costumes designed by the other artists (which can be used in 'free play')?

If we compare DAN to the project Diva games, those have a wiiiiiiide selection of costumes to choose from. Hopefully this will follow the same trend.

Or not, it could be nothing. Whatever, I'm tired.

I don't know, really. I just wanted to point out that it's unfair to dismiss a theory that at least has some evidence behind it without giving it further thought.

FluxWaveZ

Thread about the Atlus CEO teasing upcoming projects.

"That title" could = Etrian Odyssey teased game.
Begun development on a game three years off.
Brand new IP in the works. (Deviliser?)

Definitely most interested in the latter two. The second sounds like a follow-up to something we're familiar with. Doesn't sound like anything's currently in works for the PS4 or the Xbox One, but they're apparently looking into it and I'm sure that they'll be releasing something for at least one of those at some point. Maybe one of their teased games will be ported.

I don't know, really. I just wanted to point out that it's unfair to dismiss a theory that at least has some evidence behind it without giving it further thought.

Dude, sorry if it seemed like I was arguing against you, I just wanted to put my thoughts in on the subject and your message was the last one regarding it lol. Like I said, I'm super tired.

Dan-chan's theory does hold some weight, but like everything its a case of lets just wait and see.

So how is the European nisa web store allowed to show their prices without taxes on their main page, I got all excited because I thought the persona q limited edition was lowered to £58 but it's still £70. It also bothers me that the European store doesn't even show their prices in euros but now I'm nitpicking I think.

Setsu00

So how is the European nisa web store allowed to show their prices without taxes on their main page, I got all excited because I thought the persona q limited edition was lowered to £58 but it's still £70. It also bothers me that the European store doesn't even show their prices in euros but now I'm nitpicking I think.

I really, really wanted to support the EU store, but at there's no way I wouldn't feel like I was robbed if I actually bought something from there.

Murder. I can't believe they've done that. I saw someone post sale figures or pre-order figures from their store. It was dire.

Mdesilva

Thread about the Atlus CEO teasing upcoming projects.

"That title" could = Etrian Odyssey teased game.
Begun development on a game three years off.
Brand new IP in the works. (Deviliser?)

Definitely most interested in the latter two. The second sounds like a follow-up to something we're familiar with. Doesn't sound like anything's currently in works for the PS4 or the Xbox One, but they're apparently looking into it and I'm sure that they'll be releasing something for at least one of those at some point. Maybe one of their teased games will be ported.
Deviliser sounds more like an SMT spin-off. Idk if that'd let it qualify as a new IP. When they say similar to "Catherine or Dragon's Crown", I'd think it's a totally new game. Maybe.
Game three years off… SMT5? Maybe? It's possible. Probably a PS4/XBO game, whatever it is.

Just for clarity's sake, £70 (pre shipping and tax) is approx $119 US, $126 AU, €88 EU and ¥12100 JP.

Looking at the source code on the NISA EU post for Persona Q, they claimed that the game would sell out quickly, well.......

They have 1500 stock for UK, so far they have sold only 167.
500 stock for France, sold 87.
500 stock for Germany, sold 70.
150 stock for Italy, sold 11.
150 stock for Spain, sold 8.
300 stock for Australia (same region as EU), sold 18.

This was 2 weeks ago.

Caladrius

There were quite a few people I'm not very familiar with and a few I probably forgot, so unfortunately I couldn't put in everyone and quite a few were made on flimsy grounds. Apologies in advance.

Ganzlinger x Gazoinks
FluxWaveZ x TWILT
PK Gaming x Smedwicks
Dantis x Jintor
arue x Chet Rippo
Gooch: The Destroyer x Lelouch Vi Britannia
A Dead Diehard x Dry Eye Relief
Inorigo x Acid 08
Sophia x Hot Coldman
pan-hime x Turnip Fritters
Lollipop Dave x Trigger
LelouchViBritannia x Gooch: The Destroyer