• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a couple of things I whipped up this morning:

P5 Key Art Wallpaper

P5 Trailer Music Video

I have to say, I didn't at all expect the design direction that they went with, but it's so slick and compelling that I shouldn't even be surprised haha... I love the menus, and from what we've seen of the gameplay it looks a lot more engaging than P3 and P4's dungeons, though I'm still curious how similar the combat is.

All in all, a fantastic trailer to push the hype-train into overdrive as we head towards a release date. I'm a little disappointed that we didn't any more specific on that date, but given that P4D is coming in June (JP) and probably Summer 2015 (NA/EU), I'd pin P5 closer to the end of the year, and maybe even early 2016 in the west. Hopefully ATLUS USA gets their hands on it soon and maybe it could be close like SMT4 was, though...

wmlk

Hi guys.

My name is Olivia, and my favorite series of all time is Persona. I got into it a while back through my fiance. This was years back when we were dating. But I've fallen in love with it. I was told in the stream thread, to maybe post in here. I had never been able to talk to anyone about Persona before outside my partner. It was so much fun. I hope maybe I can make friends here, and talk Persona with you guys.

I am so excited for P5. I can't take it anymore!

Welcome :)

Dawg

It's finally happening. Damn, I wasn't expecting this, now I need a confirmation in Europe and I will be the happiest person in the entire world.

I think Atlus hates Europe.

;_;

Never understood this. There's a whole market for JRPGs in Europa.

Wait, whoops, I can't read.
The markers are actually 2 inches.
That means he's around 5' 9".

i don't think thats accurate decrption no?
look at the in game footage, p5mc look pretty tall and lean to me

thanks for explaining larger than life and the pic romance thingy, romance = adventure got it

BlackJace

I'm good on everything but demons returning as enemies. I kind of liked that Personas were your allies.

The UI looks as good as ever, and I'm sure the score will blow us away.

Apparently the official names of the party members are Ryu (blonde boy), Anzu (Catwoman) and Morgana (Actual Cat™). Those sound fine to me.

Dawg

I still have nightmares from the cat puns in Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.

There better be a party member with a dog mask.

Lunar15

Picaresque falls in line with all of the Phantom of the Opera stuff we've seen. I would not be surprised if the main party personas are all based on famous thieves/literary characters, such as The Phantom, Scarlet Pumpernickle, Lupin (the original), etc.

If I had to come up with two negatives, they are:

1. The music was simply alright. The looped guitar riff was actually kind of annoying. It wasn't bad, but just alright. Wanted something to blow me away.

2. Girl's cat-suit looks dumb. Get the idea, but c'mon man.

Other than those two things, I'm totally good to go. It looks radically different in a good way, the themes are front and center, and everything oozes style.

I think what's off-putting to some people is that it looked really intense, a far cry from the laid back and sometimes zen like quality of P3 and P4. I think that comes from the fact that we're mainly seeing everything from the "dark hour/midnight channel" side of things, and not as much from the real world. The over-the-top and frantic nature is a stark contrast, so I think it's missing some of the more subtle elements people are looking for. The game will certainly have this stuff, the real world sections we've seen look really interesting. I think once we see more of the "day time" parts, people will start to feel the familiarity they're looking for.

Busaiku

HvAVz4J.png

5th character? Or maybe Morgana (doubtful, since it's Taunki).

Sallokin

I like the scene where the MC is zonked out in class and gets chalk thrown at him. Hinting at his nightlife catching up with him?

Lunar15

Also. getting hardcore JOKER (P2) vibes from MC's persona. Hell, his name is even written out as "Joker" in the weapons shop menu.

That's why I'm a bit sceptical, either way he should still be tall compared to the cast, between 5'9 - 6 seems about right.

:)

oh, regarding the piquerisque reference, does this suggest the MC comes from a low social class impoverished background?

or is this just a theme in p5, not any character specifically?

Lunar15

oh, regarding the piquerisque reference, does this suggest the MC comes from a low social class impoverished background?

It certainly could be, but I think the larger, main theme is just that they're all people coming from a "suppressed" portion of society. Going by the stuff Hashino has said, it could come from anything that holds people back: money, peer-pressure, status, stress, etc. Picaresque heroes usually just have a vendetta against the norms of society that kept them from their dreams. See: Phantom of the Opera (Deformity and Genius) and The Count of Monte Cristo (The jealousy and greed of others). Neither are necessarily poor (the count in particular), but they're just rejected by society for whatever reason.

headofbowl

Neo Member

Sorry, using onscreen keyboard is a pain, so I lifted a definition from Wikipedia :D :

The picaresque novel (Spanish: "picaresca," from "pícaro," for "rogue" or "rascal") is a popular subgenre of prose fiction which might be satirical and depicts, in realistic and often humorous detail, the adventures of a roguish hero of low social class who lives by his wits in a corrupt society. This style of novel originated in 16th-century Spain and flourished throughout Europe in the 17th and 18th centuries. It continues to influence modern literature.

So, yeah I would assume so, it also sums up his statements on the differences in character from the prior games.

Lunar15

Man, I really can't express my excitement enough. The "picaresque" theme alludes to my favorite genre ever. Dumas is one of my favorite writers (Count of Monte Cristo, Three Musketeers), but I'm also enamored with Phantom of the Opera and Arsene Lupin. It's my ideal "fantasy", if you will.

Im really loving the whole theme P5 has. The cast seems fun and playful.

I think Atlus hates Europe.

;_;

Never understood this. There's a whole market for JRPGs in Europa.

Anime industry is bigger in europe than america, so i dont understand them not translating to PAL5.
I know lots of people that want to play them but cant becuase of language barriers.

Dawg

Anime industry is bigger in europe than america, so i dont understand them not translating to PAL5.
I know lots of people that want to play them but cant becuase of language barriers.

Isn't the RPG business bigger too?

Just look at Germany, that's like the walhalla of RPGs or something. And lots of them don't play Persona because it doesn't have German subs.

Setsu00

Just look at Germany, that's like the walhalla of RPGs or something. And lots of them don't play Persona because it doesn't have German subs.

I don't think that the lack of German subs is the main problem. It's the marketing, or rather the lack there of over here.

JRPGs are actually more popular in France. RPGs have a big market in Germany but they are more inclined to wrpgs, one of the reasons is that PC gaming is strong there. Of course it's a big market so a good jrpg will also do well there.

Watching again Lupin III The Castle of Cagliostro while working just becuase all the vibes Persona 5 is giving me.

Probably, Spain and France love their JRPGs (In dont know about Italy, but they have also a big anime market). And to them language barriers are a big problem. People already know of this series thanks to P4 being so famous. They just want a chance to play it now.
Lots of female players want to dip their toes in the series also, becuase it has themes they usually like from watching anime.
Atlus is making a big mistake by not translating and having a proper release here.

Catherine was becuase Deep Silver was the publisher used, and the people I know that always wanted to play Persona games bought catherine becuase it was translated. They need to use them again.

JRPGs are actually more popular in France. RPGs have a big market in Germany but they are more inclined to wrpgs, one of the reasons is that PC gaming is strong there. Of course it's a big market so a good jrpg will also do well there.

Most things Japan related seem to be. France have LNs translated that no other region do, shows, culture festivals...

Lunar15

Fingers crossed that Atlus USA can get their hands on this ahead of time to help with the translation process! Here's hoping it's speedy, because I'm not sure I can wait!

However, quality trumps everything, so if it takes longer to make sure everything is top notch, I'm fine with that.

Watching again Lupin III The Castle of Cagliostro while working just becuase all the videos Persona 5 is giving me.

Haha, I had the same idea! Brilliant movie, good choice.

Also, the P4D opening song strangely fits better with the P5 trailer than the actual song they used does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom