• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So just making some speculation here seeing that I can't sleep from the hype, but seeing that for Q they did the persona portraits in new renders, can we assume that they used models from 5 to do that and that part of the game is already done?

Setsu00

So just making some speculation here seeing that I can't sleep from the hype, but seeing that for Q they did the persona portraits in new renders, can we assume that they used models from 5 to do that and that part of the game is already done?

I'm pretty sure that the game is pretty far along, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to show actual gameplay. I'm estatimating that the game releases around August myself.

However, I don't think that they used the Q models since Q just used the PS2 assets.

Antiwhippy

I'm pretty sure that the game is pretty far along, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to show actual gameplay. I'm estatimating that the game releases around August myself.

However, I don't think that they used the Q models since Q just used the PS2 assets.

Wait, really?

I don't remember the PS2 model looking this good.

Persona-Q-Aigis.jpg

Could just be the shaders though.

Soriku

What the fuck lol. This is not what I expected. But it looks great.

Dungeons look a lot better and it's nice we're fighting HD DEMONS now. This means we can fight Lucifer or Metatron if they put in those fights. Shit yeah. Platforming and dashing are nice additions.

Character design is OK. The game looks amazingly stylish though.

Igor back is cool considering people were saying he wouldn't due to his VA passing away.

I remember mentioning they should shadows for demons in battle, since the demons are way cooler anyway. Not sure if those knights indicate shadows are there too, or they're just generic wandering enemies that transform into demons once you actually start fighting. At least they can save resources if they mainly model demons.

Oh, I'm aware. The fact that I know anything about those shows kind of shows how far reaching they are, when I know virtually nothing about anime in general.

But on a personal level, it is not what I wanted.

The music was badass though. Meguro doesn't let me down, even if Soejima does.

For reference, what were you expecting? Like I didn't expect the whole masks and platforming and burglarizing shit, but I didn't know I wanted that :p Looks really cool to me.

On Soejima, the girl's design is a bit generic. New guy doesn't look bad though. He looks like this character from Kuroko no Basket lol.

Everything looks perfect. Amazing how the P5MC looks more badass now in comparison with his appearance in the first teaser trailer.

The hype is real!

Logash

Can someone get me a 1080p background version of the new artwork on the website for my Nexus 5? It looks so amazing.

Antiwhippy

Uh, by the way, anyone willing to give me a hand here?

Can anyone make me an avatar of her?

I love my current avatar, but I loved the way she looks there waaay more

I've been making transparent avvies from that image.

Here's the girl one. Not sure if you want something of this style though.

ib0V6jZl0Oydri.png

Makio

Atlus make the trolling of the year with the teaser trailer.

Looks like two diferent trailers for diferents games.

I mean these look the type of game i expected in some Catherine sequel no a persona game ...

i dont even mad i love this one , miles away from p3/p4 giving his own feel and universe.

So Persona 1 / 2 crossovers.
Persona 3/4 crossover universe.

This goes with 6 , who looks like this one. This game so good i can imagine all type of spinoff from this.

Hell even the p5 animation gonna be a blast.

who doesn't think p5 will be a short game

i say this because this game looks way too good graphically to be a 40-50hr jrpg.
I'd assume the game will probably be around the same length as P4 & P3. While the game looks phenomenal we don't know how big each environment is, the artstyle also goes a long way towards making the game look so good.

Well folks, where do we go from here? Do we still look to Tuesdays with a hopeful glimmer in our eyes? Life in a post-Persona 5 world is gonna be a strange one for this thread.

Dantis

So, here's some of my more rational thoughts:

Persona 3 and 4 were both largely about kids 'playing hero'. In Persona 5, it's made more literal by their get ups, which I think feels more self aware?

The way the characters, look, move, animate, dress etc. gives them a distinctly different feel than the P3 and P4 cast. It feels like (at least from this video) a group of characters who know that they're attractive and cool and whatnot, and who think they have an upper hand on the world, and I think it will be interesting if that crashes down. Pride comes before a fall and all that.

Visually, it looks like it takes inspiration from 90s anime like Bebop and Lupin and stuff, but at the same time, it takes a lot from modern design as well. Character's day outfits are really well designed and the characters themselves are all predictably attractive.

It looks like there's going to be a discrepancy between the day art and the night art though, which I think I'm okay with. In the daytime, the cut ins are realistic (to the extent that Persona is realistic), whilst at night they're distorted. The movement of the characters changes also. In the opening video, the characters parkour around a train station pretty realistically, whilst at night the protagonist's movement between cover is cartoonish. Persona 3 and 4 also had a deliberate distinction between the realistic daytime and the surreal other world stuff, and it's interesting that P5 looks to be taking that even further.

I think the trailer has two pieces of music in it. At first, I think the music is the opening song. It syncs up with the video perfectly, right down to the protagonist sticking his hand up as he lands on the train. Then there's a noticeable change in tone, to a presumably different track.

The characters all look older, and more mature. The blonde guy and the blonde girl especially look older than the P4 cast, and the blonde girl's heist outfit is surprisingly sexualised.

Having a cafe as the base of operations is very cool, and very Catherine-esque.

I think I'll need to see more of the night time stuff to make a proper judgement on it. It still seems really weird.

Antiwhippy

Here's the protagonist too if anybody wants it.

Took some... liberties seeing that some parts got cut off, but I think it looks ok? Did that for all of them.

iyJ3cEz0lmZGK.png

To anyone here who has excellent command of ENG and literature… can you please analysis this:

"For this game, we’re going with a challenge that fuses together a juvenile school setting that is as large as life, together with a picaresque romance."

As large as life…?
Picaresque + romance…? (what does this mean for social links?)

mdubs

Banned
The characters all look older, and more mature. The blonde guy and the blonde girl especially look older than the P4 cast, and the blonde girl's heist outfit is surprisingly sexualised.

I think her outfit fits the heist vibe though, how many times on America. TV do we see a burgler wearing that type of outfit? It's sexualized but serves a purpose imo

Anne+Hathaway1.jpg

To anyone here who has excellent command of ENG and literature… can you please analysis this:

"For this game, we’re going with a challenge that fuses together a juvenile school setting that is as large as life, together with a picaresque romance."

As large as life…?

It could mean a lot of things and often times there's a translation gap between what these words might mean to a Japanese person and what they might mean to an English-speaking person, and how the translator chooses to relay them. The "large as life" could be there way of saying it'll be a really big game or that the setting is realistically scaled. "Picaresque romance" is basically their way of saying it'll be about daring thieves and their dashing exploits.

Logash

As large as life…?

Romance could mean the emotional experience and not necessarily love. Sort of like how pirates have been romanticized. You could probably interpret it as being the life of a thief and the romantic joy that comes with it.

Sophia

#NotThePoint. I don't know shit about anime. My point is that it looks like it takes influence from older anime to give it a retro vibe.

It's more late 70s/80s vibe, which was the era Lupin was from, and also the era that Cowboy Bebop drew some of it's influences from.

That said, visually a lot of the new trailer reminds me of the latest Lupin the 3rd TV series.

--R

Banned
It's finally happening. Damn, I wasn't expecting this, now I need a confirmation in Europe and I will be the happiest person in the entire world.

Logash

When Japanese talk about "romance", they mean stuff like grand adventures.
Like One Piece was "Romance Dawn".

It's actually a European literary term mostly used at the end of the 18th century to describe the feeling of grand adventure. The Japanese use it this way probably because that's it's most literal definition. Most people nowadays most closely associate it with romantic love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom