• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

What's everyone's first impressions of the characters?

With P4 I was completely wrong with what I ended up thinking of them, but my first impression is that I won't care much for the two they've shown today.

Sophia

I'd prefer both random and created dungeons, personally.

The key is in how they do it. I want fully featured dungeons with puzzles if we're having pre-created stuff. Not the really short full moon events from P3 or the lame pre-generated floors with nothing unique like P4.

At the same time, I absolutely love procedurally generated content when it has a lot of variety. It's like how in Phantasy Star Online 2 you'll always come across something new due to the randomized events in the area. And they vary depending on where you are in the story. It's so awesome. Things like that would be fantastic.

With P4 I was completely wrong with what I ended up thinking of them, but my first impression is that I won't care much for the two they've shown today.

The protagonist is the most swaggest protagonist yet. He's pretty much everything I want out of a Persona protagonist. I like him. No complaints here.

Curious to see where they go with Anne. She's definitely filling that "outsider" trope that every Persona game from P2 onward has had. (Lisa, Aigis, Teddie, Labrys, etc)

I have no opinions of Ryuji so far. He seems like a dork. Without knowing any more details about him or who voices him, he's pretty forgettable.

Morganna, the cat, just brings up a whole ton of questions. That said, I like where they're going with it.

So far, not counting the protagonist, Anne is my favorite.

Nachos

He's just doing one, but it's still super cool.

Based on the clips it sounds like the best remix too.
I think the De De Mouse mix of Shadow World will be a pretty strong contender, too, though I can see his style being more polarizing.

Nimby

Banned
They all seem cool. I like Morgana's design a lot more than Teddy, hopefully his/her (confirmation?) personality is too. The other two are cool, hopefully they aren't too similar to Yukari/Junpei and Yosuke/Chie.

some interview i believe said they go to a "juvenile school"

http://gematsu.com/2015/02/persona-5-director-discusses-characters-themes-development

EDIT: they say academy juveniles

Reposting from the trailer thread:

From this screenshot, the name of their high school is 秀尽学園 (Shuujin Gakuen; Shuujin Academy). I may not have used the correct readings for the first two kanji, but I feel certain that they're right.

oLEtgEo.png

Many high schools in Japan use 学園(がくえん;Gakuen) in their name. "Academy juveniles" in that interview might have been misinterpreted? I don't have access to the Japanese interview, but I'm betting "juvenile" came from 少年(しょうねん;shounen), which is also translated as youth(s).

Einbroch

Banned
Has there been any information about the gameplay or is the trailer all we have? I'm very interested, but only if the gameplay improves (or at least moves faster).

Dantis

The protagonist is the most swaggest protagonist yet. He's pretty much everything I want out of a Persona protagonist. I like him. No complaints here.

Curious to see where they go with Anne. She's definitely filling that "outsider" trope that every Persona game from P2 onward has had. (Lisa, Aigis, Teddie, Labrys, etc)

I have no opinions of Ryuji so far. He seems like a dork. Without knowing any more details about him or who voices him, he's pretty forgettable.

Morganna, the cat, just brings up a whole ton of questions. That said, I like where they're going with it.

So far, not counting the protagonist, Anne is my favorite.

Your views on them are waaaaaay different from mine.

Protagonist looks like a dork in the outside sections. Anne looks like she's going to be the pretty, and probably flirty character. Ryuji looks halfway between Junpei and Kanji. I think he'll be bro-y, but at the same time, have an edge to him.

Dantis

So essentially, they may not be delinquents, but upper class brats? I'm okay with this. :p

Like I said in my big post earlier, that's basically how I see them based on the trailer. Seems like they're all cocky and think they have one over on the world.

Zareka

Couldn't garner a lot about the characters but it really looks like a Junpei/Yukari thing again.

The girl seems like a Yukari/Rise combo but the guy looks like a straight up Yosuke/Junpei. I don't think that's how it'll turn out in the end but that's the vibe I got from the opening.

Edit: Oh and of course a bit of Lisa from Anne(?) too.

Cat is automatically fantastic because cat.

Sophia

Like I said in my big post earlier, that's basically how I see them based on the trailer. Seems like they're all cocky and think they have one over on the world.

I mean, their uniforms at the school (Anne aside, who doesn't appear to wear any part of the uniform except the jacket) are all really fancy looking. It definitely doesn't strike me as a delinquent type school. Rather, more like Gekkoukan except extremely stuck up. :p

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The girl definitely has dancing thing going on. She was doing some pretty specific ballet stuff, not just the weird moving around the others are doing.

Dantis

I mean, their uniforms at the school (Anne aside, who doesn't appear to wear any part of the uniform except the jacket) are all really fancy looking. It definitely doesn't strike me as a delinquent type school. Rather, more like Gekkoukan except extremely stuck up. :p

They look way too stylish to be delinquents too.

They have another case of 'just walked out of a shop window'-syndrome that most of Soejima's post P4-characters have, haha (Which I love, mind. I'm not complaining).

The girl definitely has dancing thing going on. She was doing some pretty specific ballet stuff, not just the weird moving around the others are doing.

I think Soejima just likes having characters dance. In his original version of the P4 opening, Yukiko was meant to be dancing in the Amagi inn.

Ryuji had me sold when I saw he uses a PIPE AND SHOTGUN! Plus sliding on his knees down a bannister doing air guitar makes him the lovable dork!

Anne/Anzu seems alright, I hope the ballet-esque stuff comes more into it and that she doesnt just end up being a mix of Yukari's Tsun and Rise's Dere.

The cat is a cat........ WITH A FUCKING SABER!

MC is amazing, just the contrast between his day self and his phantom self is incredible and I love it and I need it all now!

Item shop girl still the best though.

jvtqrn.gif

Is it a possibility that they turn into their persona's? It takes them over?
The most awesome transition of all time!

Man, that P5 trailer was one of the best ones in years. Now I'm really hyped. So what should I play PersonaGaf? Should I finish my P4A story run and then go for P4U? Or replay P4 again? P3 could be an option as well (since I've never played it) but I don't know if it's available on PS3 and even then, I'm not sure I can get right now.

And this is my first post on Community, so Hi :)

Jintor

What do you guys think, second year high school again?

Third years might be more appropriate given the theme of this one, what with society's expectations and all

I like that Ryuji and Anne's designs are distinctive in the context of their school, but not like, say, the way Yukiko and Chie were (as in BRIGHT GREEN AND BRIGHT RED in a sea of black and white.

What do you guys think, second year high school again?

Third years might be more appropriate given the theme of this one, what with society's expectations and all

Since the MC has two little doohickeys on his turtleneck, I'm assuming second years.

Verder

Man, that P5 trailer was one of the best ones in years. Now I'm really hyped. So what should I play PersonaGaf? Should I finish my P4A story run and then go for P4U? Or replay P4 again? P3 could be an option as well (since I've never played it) but I don't know if it's available on PS3 and even then, I'm not sure I can get right now.

hi!

um you should finish p4a and if your in the mood for more p4 continue onto ultimax.
gotta get ready for p4DAN!

Jawmuncher

Might as well finish up P4A and P4U.
New story content that way you can say you've seen it all.

Lunar15

Gotta be honest, not lovin' em. I bet the game will turn that around for me. The Junsuke looks kind of terrible, but so did Yosuke and he ended up being alright. (Well, I liked him, at least.)

Main character looks like a boss, though.

Nachos

P5 Hero after TGS: Surprisingly demure, though something about his eyes at the end of the first trailer seemed slightly unnerving to me.

P5 Hero after newspaper ad and leaked flier: I was legitimately surprised after seeing the leaked poster. I figured he was the one in the ad, but the juxtaposition between both portrayals seemed really stark at first, making him seem a little menacing.

After the trailer: It's hard to know how much of an overt personality he has, but I can see him fitting into any number of mastermind archetypes. It'll be interesting to see how player choice affects the duality he has. I basically see him becoming a more unhinged, dorkier, but charismatic Yu.

Anzu/An: She struck me as a female Yosuke – pretty well-grounded, though not without her quirks.

Ryuji: He'd be right at home doing the Breakfast Club dance. He seems more forward and outgoing than either Yosuke or Junpei were.

Morganna: I was surprised they were going with another mascot-type character, but I'm not complaining. I like the design, and I'd be really curious to know where you first meet her.

kewlmyc

Protagonist: Probably my favorite design of the persona protags so far. I really like his color scheme (red and black are my favorite colors) and the way his actions and personality seem to change when he has his glasses off is pretty interesting.

Anzu/Anne and Ryuji: They're okay, they don't really stand out to me in their regular clothes, but their phantom outfits are pretty good. I'll probably like them more when we get a better feel of their personalities.

Morgana: It's a cat. Cats rock. I just hope it doesn't talk is is more like Toro in the way it communicates (body language only). If it does talk, just don't let it be like Japanese Teddie, screechy and in your face.

The characters seem to have a rebel/delinquent feel to them, which is a trope that I really like.

Really looking forward to this game. Might take off the week this game comes out and just do nothing but play it.

Busaiku

Judging by the way Ryuji interacts with Morgana during the highway skating, I think he's definitely gonna be like Teddie.

Dantis

The way they're all characterised in the real world bits make them seem pretty 'cool' in a way that Persona characters generally aren't. They seem probably more like teenagers than past characters. The P5 characters seem less likely to get on-stage to perform an idol song and more likely to go and get smashed at a music festival.

EDIT: And before someone points it out, yes, I am aware that I'm taking a lot of personality from a tiny amount of footage. Speculation, brahs!

EDIT 2: Here's an example of the kind of thing I mean! In the P4 opening, Yosuke is shown crashing his bike. In the P5 opening, Ryuji's entrance seems sort of similar, as he slides down the bannister. The significant difference (Besides Ryuji coming out of it fine) is that Yosuke's pratfalls were never directly his own fault, whereas Ryuji's would have been completely his own fault.

Busaiku

"Anne" is a possible way to read it (though it would still be "An" in Romaji), but I think that's a very loose interpretation.
People have brought up Lisa Silverman, but her name was always English (it was Risa Shirubaaman in Katakana).
Even if she does have non-Japanese parents, Anzu/An's name is Japanese in origin.

The way they're all characterised in the real world bits make them seem pretty 'cool' in a way that Persona characters generally aren't. They seem probably more like teenagers than past characters. The P5 characters seem less likely to get on-stage to perform an idol song and more likely to go and get smashed at a music festival.

It's because the character models are more naturally posed compared to the ones in previous Persona games. It's more like they're interacting with their environment (An leaning up against the railing, Ryuji reclining back in his chair at the cafe), whereas in previous Persona games it was more... it was more like they were video game characters. Like you might see Chie sitting in a bunch of different places over the course of P4, but her character model is almost always sitting in the exact same way, or when the characters are standing around they all have sort of a default idle pose and all of that sort of breaks the illusion.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
EDIT 2: Here's an example of the kind of thing I mean! In the P4 opening, Yosuke is shown crashing his bike. In the P5 opening, Ryuji's entrance seems sort of similar, as he slides down the bannister. The significant difference (Besides Ryuji coming out of it fine) is that Yosuke's pratfalls were never directly his own fault, whereas Ryuji's would have been completely his own fault.

Eh, I wouldn't put too much thought into that. They were ice skating down the highway later.

hi!

um you should finish p4a and if your in the mood for more p4 continue onto ultimax.
gotta get ready for p4DAN!

Might as well finish up P4A and P4U.
New story content that way you can say you've seen it all.

Thanks guys. Then I'll probably do that :)

Phantom/MC: Honestly I was kinda disappointed with his reveal in TGS trailer. But man, after this trailer? He is probably my favorite new character of all time.

Anne: Don't care much about her to be honest. Right now, she is just a pretty face. She does remind me a little of Rise tho, whom I didn't really care for either.

The dude: He looks like to be the Yosuke of this game. So he'll probably be my second favorite character after MC/Phantom.

The Cat: I already like him a lot more than Teddie. That bear was just so annoying!

Dantis

So what do we think about social links not being the menu?

S Links ARE in the menu. Cooperation Community. In the Japanese games they're called Commu or something. It's (presumably) the same thing.

S Links are Atlus US' localisation.

They definitely look older, though I hadn't heard anyone mention it as confirmed.

yeah, seems like I didn't remember correctly. Thought it was mentioned in an interview but it was just talking about overcoming trials. They definitely seem older than the P4 cast at least.

I'm more intrigued by this protagonist than I was with the main characters of Persona 3 and 4. I'm also curious on how he's treated in game. In both 3 and 4, the MC was king and could do no wrong. In the trailer, P5MC gets snuffed in the subway and chalk thrown at his head. That's very different.

Ryuji is really a boring design. If it weren't for the yellow hair he would look like an NPC.

Takamaki, I have no real opinion of.

Busaiku

I think they said at P5's announcement they're third years and stressing out over exams.

I think you're thinking of the interview in Persona magazine following the reveals (can't link cause scans)?
Regardless, the characters' ages haven't been revealed yet.

Dantis

Then again, the P4 cast look loads older in P4D, simply because of the models.

Full size models does wonders for perception.

arue

About the protagonist...
He is waaayyy too cool. Narukami got nothing on him. P5MC is a freaking phantom thief after all!
I love how the trailer was nothing like the fans predicted. The Pre-TGS trailer seems like a completely different game now.

About the party members...
I like how both of them have blond hair. I think teenagers who dye their hair blonde were considered as delinquents in manga/anime trope. It fits the theme of the game. I'm also liking the deadly sins theory. It sounds pretty unusual.

Also, better late than never. Here's my bingo card:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom