• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

.JayZii

Banned
Probably already obvious to a lot of people, but I'm calling this moment in the trailer as the protagonist's persona.
ugUjM1q.jpg

TNYwcWq.jpg

Another user, Paper Sparrow, posted the exact same thing as me, at the same time, in the trailer thread. The hivemind groupthink is strengthening.

Yeah, I think that the notion of there only being five playable characters is ridiculous. I'm betting there'll be 8 like in P4, as it makes for a good dynamic both in and out of the dungeon. Can you imagine how boring event scenes would be with only 3 speaking characters, one silent protagonist and a cat? Scenes like the King's Game and P3's beach trip simply wouldn't work with such a small main cast.

Acid08

Banned
A smaller party would also line-up with the theme of robbers.
It's not that out there to think only 5 would be it.

I seriously hope there are more. Persona games have been pretty good about having bigger casts of interesting characters. See no reason why that should change now.

Dantis

Yeah, I think that the notion of there only being five playable characters is ridiculous. I'm betting there'll be 8 like in P4, as it makes for a good dynamic both in and out of the dungeon. Can you imagine how boring event scenes would be with only 3 speaking characters, one silent protagonist and a cat? Scenes like the King's Game and P3's beach trip simply wouldn't work with such a small main cast.
I think so too. Looking forward to seeing the rest of them.

JNA

Banned

Indeed.

No way Atlus shows everything in one trailer. We will likely see more characters in later footage and news articles, etc.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I seriously hope there are more. Persona games have been pretty good about having bigger casts of interesting characters. See no reason why that should change now.

They could still achieve that with less primary/main characters but more (and in-depth) secondary and support characters. Make the non-party characters feel more integrated into things, etc.

Acid08

Banned
They could still achieve that with less primary/main characters but more (and in-depth) secondary and support characters.

Less party characters could mean less variety in the dungeons which really isn't preferable. I want to have more options than that.

FluxWaveZ

They could still achieve that with less primary/main characters but more (and in-depth) secondary and support characters. Make the non-party characters feel more integrated into things, etc.

Yep. I really wouldn't care if there are only 5 total party members. That doesn't mean the quality of story scenes will be reduced; they'll just be different, as the game already largely appears to be compared to P3 and P4.

Less party characters could mean less variety in the dungeons which really isn't preferable. I want to have more options than that.

I guess it depends on how they handle the battle system. One can have a lot of variety tackling combat with the same party in Persona Q, just because of all of the options it gives.

Edit: Unless you mean Midnight Channel like dungeons where they represent individual characters, in which case I am 100% certain Persona 5 won't operate like that.

But Ocean's Eleven...!

Also, showing 4 out of 5 members right out of the bat while withholding that final navigator member feels weird to me. At that point why not just show all of them.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Less party characters could mean less variety in the dungeons which really isn't preferable.

That's assuming a P4 type setup where dungeons are associated with party members though. That's not necessarily going to be the case.

Lucina

Banned

I personally wouldn't mind a smaller party. As long as the cast is amazing. I think it can be overwhelming having such a large party and having to worry about leveling them all up.

Acid08

Banned
That's assuming a P4 type setup where dungeons are associated with party members though. That's not necessarily going to be the case.

That's not what I'm saying. If they continue with the "you're the only Wild Card" stuff then I feel like that might pigeonhole each party member. One physical, one magic, one healer etc. Would rather have more party members with a larger variety of specialties allowing you to attack dungeons differently.

Holy shit, i had to skim through 5+ pages from this morning alone, you guys are too fast

I seriously don't think this is the end of the character reveals. And expecting a "hidden" member, someone who is BARELY touched on before the game comes out, and everyone finds them in the game and not through teasers

This is too much hype. I still have the P3 Movie #2 digest to watch, P3 Movie #3 trailer dropped out of NOWHERE a couple days ago (holy shit i can't wait that long), and now Persona 5 news.

And i'm STILL watching that P3 Movie #3 trailer a couple times a day

Drop

I've been out all day, now I've seen the trailer and I love it, every part of it looks great.

The character design looks great, the "day version" of the characters look pretty good, the "thief" version" look really cool, especially the protagonist, and the other guy looks pretty charismatic too, the catsuit doesn't convince me though.
I'm ok with the cat, even thought it was the most obvious choice for a new mascot character, she probably fits the theme of the game pretty well.

The menu design looks pretty solid, also am I seeing things or are we getting both a melee weapon and a gun like in the first persona game?

The protagonist seems more interesting than both p3 and p4 mcs, he seems like he's the one actively trying to get into trouble instead of just getting dragged into the whole persona deal, I'd really like if that's the case.

About the setting I think the characters are going to have a good reason to justify being thieves, that ties into the whole "you're slave" theme, they're probably doing it as a way to gain some sort of not specified freedom, point is, I don't think they'd make the protagonists be the bad guys.

I could definitely see them using their persona in a deeper way than previous games, not only using them to battle, but wearing them as the masks they are, changing their personalities to commit those bad but needed acts, that they wouldn't be able to go through with otherwise.

I guess I'm going overboard with my theories, so I'll just stop for now :p

IDK P3 and P4 had a lot of cast bloat, so you'd have like, these big important story cutscenes where half the characters just kind of awkwardly stand there and occasionally interject something so you remember they exist. A smaller cast would help alleviate that, as well as make it easier to have interesting, dynamic cutscenes.

Holy shit, i had to skim through 5+ pages from this morning alone, you guys are too fast

I seriously don't think this is the end of the character reveals. And expecting a "hidden" member, someone who is BARELY touched on before the game comes out, and everyone finds them in the game and not through teasers

They didn't reveal that Shinjiro was a party member in P3 until after the game came out, so that's not too far fetched.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Look, there will be more characters. There's even one in the trailer already that we know nothing of other than it might be a woman and he/she is wearing a fox/tanuki mask.

Weiss

Banned
We've already seen at least one more character in a costume. Probably the fifth member. Not like we've seen the entire intro yet.

Makio

Say what you will about those scenes, but I'd vastly prefer that style of event over the same three characters interacting with each other and a cat for the entire game.

Maybe no best example but the in case of GTA V , the main cast is the 3 guys and all cutscenes interacting with each other and secondary characters are great ,

In Catherine we have like what 4 dudes each night interacting ... i think all the scenes are great.

If Atlus wants to keep the cast smaller , i like it help to make more depth characters and if the main cast is smaller i can see a lot of great secondary characters to compensate.

Gazoinks

So, are we speculating that maybe MC has a split personality? Like maybe compared to past Persona's, he actually turns into his shadow self when fighting at night?

Only problem with that theory, is that in all the shots with him as the Phantom, he looks 100% normal (no glowing eyes). So that's def not shadow. And yet, his personality and overall look is such a drastic shift from what he normally looks like. I'm going to be super curious about this MC and his personality now.

Nah, I think going Phantom for the characters represents freeing themselves from society's bonds and being their true selves or some such, which is why everyone seems much more reserved in the non-combat bits.

QuadOpto

Little late on this, but finally had the time to gather my thoughts on how I percieve the cast so far.

Protagonist: I think it really says something that, when first viewed at TGS, the guy was met with heavily mixed or critical opinions; "pfft guy looks like a dork", "Step down from the swagonist", "Meek Glasses-kun" and "Harry Potter-kun", are all things I had seen around that point on numerous boards. Obviously, pre-TGS, I also thought that he might be the un-confident, pushover guy who would learn to man up as we went through the story.

Damn was that wrong.

If anything, it's pretty clear that he's the mastermind kind of guy--every single moment in the trailer, outside of his 'Meek' persona, the guy is completely and utterly confident and smooth with every move he makes. I'm actually beginning to think that the 'Meek' side is not actually a split personality, but actually a simple 'act' to lower suspicion, or blend into the background, as a true Phantom Thief should.

Anzu: As the leading (known) lady so far, I must say that she makes a definite impression; even if it was just for the style of the opening, her twirls and spins definitely give off the impression of somebody with a lot of grace and agility. Personally, I feel a little bit off about the 'foreigner' theory; her full name's in clear Kanji, and I personally don't see much that really gives credence to it; I put more stock in that she just fits under the "Gyaru" fashion; bleached blonde hair, maybe contacts. Both probably looked down upon in a school environment.

Ryuji: This guy, as others have said, I feel is a stark contrast to Junpei and Yosuke. While still possibly your bro, He obviously has such an energetic air about him that makes him appear overly confident and kinda cocky, maybe even seeing things as a sort of game. Now, while Yosuke and Junpei definitely weren't low in confidence and cockiness, I feel that what really sets Ryuji apart from them is that you could obviously feel like Yosuke and Junpei often attempted, or tried too hard to be "cool". Focusing on impressing girls, Being "Da Man'" or "Hero".

So far however, this guy doesn't seem to hold any of that; he certainly doesn't feel like he's trying to impress anyone or act cool, just enjoying what he does. (Evidence being his shark-toothed grin in his AoA portrait, as well as his mannerisms in the Daily Life scenes of the trailer)

I think he might have certain problems however, he might be a rash kind of guy who does things without thinking, or doesn't really keep a plan in mind.

Morgana: Lastly, the Mascat. Personally, I think there's something...off, about it. (Other than it transforming from a reg. cat to a chibi-cartoon plush) Like it might know about certain things that the rest of the group has no idea about. I also think that it's personality, whether she talks or not, would be that of a trademark, cartoon thief. Maybe always trying to grab something off someone.

Altogether, I feel that, so far, the trailer has shown the group to have a relationship in-between the likes of P4 and P3. While they obviously are a group that seemingly hangs out often, they also seem to hold a professional code while running around at night.

Protag is obviously the de facto leader, and I personally think that they might just call him "Boss", in regards to P4's "Senpai, Sensei and Partner".

We've already seen at least one more character in a costume. Probably the fifth member. Not like we've seen the entire intro yet.

Eh, that doesn't necessarily mean they're a party member. P3's intro, for example, features Ryoji and Pharos front and center. (I think there will be six party members: Five humans + the cat. Or maybe just five)

King's Game is a godsend.

They're real awkward. Especially the King's Game one because all the characters are like "LOL I'M DRUNK" and it's honestly just kinda lame and dumb.

So, are we speculating that maybe MC has a split personality? Like maybe compared to past Persona's, he actually turns into his shadow self when fighting at night?

Only problem with that theory, is that in all the shots with him as the Phantom, he looks 100% normal (no glowing eyes). So that's def not shadow. And yet, his personality and overall look is such a drastic shift from what he normally looks like. I'm going to be super curious about this MC and his personality now.

If this game is going where I think it may be going
(them in full control of their Shadow Selves Doing Batman Shit aka being the Persona
), this will be awesome.

Busaiku

IDK P3 and P4 had a lot of cast bloat, so you'd have like, these big important story cutscenes where half the characters just kind of awkwardly stand there and occasionally interject something so you remember they exist. A smaller cast would help alleviate that, as well as make it easier to have interesting, dynamic cutscenes.

Yep, completely agree here.
It's better to have a focused party than more members just for the sake of it.

Weiss

Banned
More importantly, if there's only 5 characters that means we might see the return of Persona-swapping for the whole team.

I would gladly sacrifice a larger team for that. I like smaller casts anyway.

Why are some people really thinking about only 4-5 people?

What a shitty decission that would be for so many things in the game designwise, and Im sure there will be at least 7, so im not in fear in the slightlest of the possibilty of being less, becuase im sure thats not going to happen.

BTW nobody has said this but theres enough space for 4 more characters on the weapons menu.

Nah, I think going Phantom for the characters represents freeing themselves from society's bonds and being their true selves or some such, which is why everyone seems much more reserved in the non-combat bits.

This is what I'm thinking as well, becoming the Phantom is basically rebelling against the shackles of society, so while normally the protagonist is more timid when he activates his persona he basically becomes the opposite.

Busaiku

Can anyone here confirm whether the new girl's name (高巻杏) is Anne or Anzu Takamaki? Seems to be some confusion there...

杏 can be read as "An" or "Anzu".
Some people are just spelling out "An" as "Anne", cause they could be pronounced similarly.
However, we won't know until we see different readings for it (Hiragana/Katakana) or we hear it voiced.

It's most likely "Anzu" though.

The consensus is MC is 2nd year, blonde chick is 2nd year… so there is room for sempais in this game correct?

Did anyone see dialogue portraits make a return? And that during dialogue scenes you don't actually see close up to the character models at all? U guys all see that?

FluxWaveZ

This is what I'm thinking as well, becoming the Phantom is basically rebelling against the shackles of society, so while normally the protagonist is more timid when he activates his persona he basically becomes the opposite.

The juxtaposition between both sides of the protagonist is really cool. There hasn't been a Persona main character like that yet, and it's a really nice way to further emphasize Persona's usual delineation between "normal world" and "Shadow/Demon world." It's becoming clear what Hashino meant when he was talking about how much he struggled last year with developing how the character would evolve throughout the story.

I wouldn't have a problem with only 5 party members if two of them weren't mute. Part of why I like Persona games is seeing the varied cast play off of each other, and the smaller the party the fewer unique dynamics will be present in the group and that's just not as appealing to me.

JNA

Banned
Oh and here is a couple of things that are pretty interesting.

- apparantly the school the protag goes to is Shujin Gakuen High School.

- The protag's persona according to a Kotaku article is apparently called "Joker the Fool".

Does that mean his Arcana is The Fool?

FluxWaveZ

I wouldn't have a problem with only 5 party members if two of them weren't mute. Part of why I like Persona games is seeing the varied cast play off of each other, and the smaller the party the fewer unique dynamics will be present in the group and that's just not as appealing to me.

We don't know that Morgana is mute. Hell, maybe the P5 protag. won't be, either.

Even if that were the case, though, I don't think interactions have to necessary be limited to the main cast of playable characters. Strong support characters (there already seemed to be two in that trailer) could fill that role perfectly.

.JayZii

Banned
Can anyone here confirm whether the new girl's name (高巻杏) is Anne or Anzu Takamaki? Seems to be some confusion there...
It could be read as "An", but I'm almost positive it's going to be Anzu. Japanese names can be tricky (even to other Japanese people) when it's only written, so we'll have to wait on Atlus for confirmation.

Makio

. Not like we've seen the entire intro yet.

About the intro i dig the animation , i think is perfect.

But the music not appeal to me at all , i was expecting some kind of badass vocal song ... but i can live with that jazz tune , fits well with the theme they are trying to make in the game.

Sounds like a old thieves movie / series or something.

Drop

Yep, completely agree here.
It's better to have a focused party than more members just for the sake of it.

I think the problem is that persona 3 and 4 didn't focus only on the main storyline, it also had a lot of side events to give the player a break in between the segments advancing the plot.

While during the story-developing sections some characters might have been kind of underused, which I personally don't see as much of a problem, the variety of characters is essential in creating a good number of different side-events.

there's a limit to how many scenes you can make with only the cool protagonist, the bro/comic relief character, the energetic girl, and the mascot, who's also a comic relief.

Considering that like in real life, not everyone is required to speak during a discussion, and some people not speaking doesn't mean they're not involved or relevant, I'm all for more characters.

We don't know that Morgana is mute. Hell, maybe the P5 protag. won't be, either.

Even if that were the case, though, I don't think interactions have to necessary be limited to the main cast of playable characters. Strong support characters (there already seemed to be two in that trailer) could fill that role perfectly.

I guess, but I dunno. I'd be fine with them doing away with S. Links entirely if it meant giving a decently-sized party good interactions and development.

Morgana is probably mute in real cat form.

Any bets if morgana is going to transform into a female human character ala Teddie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom