• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're Persona Batman, doing the wrong thing (or the right thing we don't know what these parties are) for the right reasons. I think the freedom aspect discussed when they first announced the game will be a big thing here, because it's about freedom of something. Freeing the people from something mundane, from a corrupt city or the evils lurking in the dark. Freeing society from it's narrow purview or freeing information to share that sheds light on the truth.

There's a lot of really cool angles the game can take with the Heists/Jobs/whatever the hell P5 will be about angle. I'm really really happy to see what Atlus does with it.

Soriku

Re: the music

Depending on how far out the game is, I wonder if they're still casting for music with vocals, which is why we heard nothing yet.

They should be getting someone new.

FluxWaveZ

Re: the music

Depending on how far out the game is, I wonder if they're still casting for music with vocals, which is why we heard nothing yet.

They should be getting someone new.

Nah, that doesn't sound right. I do think there'll be a new vocalist, though.

MSMrRound

B9ISvNCCcAABd-X.jpg:large

Already uploaded all the new trailers into the three TVs at work. Yey~

So they said, but I'm not fully convinced. I wonder if it's like when Bethesda said they used a new engine for Skyrim.

It's not entirely uncommon for a developer to make a new engine or use a different one that still results in a similar looking game to what they'd previously made. For example, Tekken 7 is running on UE4, yet you can still pick up many similarities to Tekken 6, which runs on System 357 (a PS3 based arcade board). Sometimes switching engines has less to do with making a game look different and is simply more about having something you're comfortable working with.

Busaiku

I still don't get why people have settled on "Anne (more likely Anzu) Takamaki" being a foreign name.
Her name's in kanji for goodness' sake. It's not like Lisa at all.
Even if it was "An", it's not pronounced like "Anne".

Nap1400

Again, blonde hair blue eyes. That's almost always anime imagery for "THIS PERSON IS NOT FROM JAPAN".

Also Anzu would be weird since we have a Persona named Anzu too.

I'm actually really excited that the protag is a delinquent and not just a typical high school student like the previous heroes. It opens up a lot of avenues for some interesting storylines

Busaiku

Again, blonde hair blue eyes. That's almost always anime imagery for "THIS PERSON IS NOT FROM JAPAN".

Also Anzu would be weird since we have a Persona named Anzu too.

She can be not Japanese/multiracial, but her name is completely Japanese.
Anzu, the demon, is spelled in katakana.

She can be not Japanese/multiracial, but her name is completely Japanese.
Anzu, the demon, is spelled in katakana.

so she is like someone who belches hair and wears colored contacts right? the really fashionable type person?

so does this mean, in this persona 5 game, characters will be much more colourful? sorry my ENG not good so i apologise if this comes off incorrect but will the female characters be less "pure" and no more exhibiting virgin tendencies and no more cliche waifu characteristics?

what i mean is you guys know how yukiko naoto and even rise in p4 all are like, MC-kun you are my first love first BF first whatever.

but this time its gona be way different, like the female characters had many many BFs or troubled relationships or no more virgin tendency.

the same goes for the male characters, they will be like diff from yosuke, "I've been with so many chicks in the previous year etc"

Busaiku

Gyaru? Sure why not, just to keep the Junko stuff going.
I mean if the delinquent stuff holds true, this'd absolutely make sense for her and Ryuji as well (with his blond hair).

But it's not like I know more about the character than you do.

wmlk

My analysis on "skating" in the trailer.

lilqee.gif

It's likely a thematic thing.

Figure skating is known to be performances that are very expressive. The characters in Persona 5, unlike previous Persona games, seem to fully embrace their personality and love expressing themselves when they're free. That's my take on it, at least.

If you notice, they dance like figure skaters.

So today after the P5 Trailer I got a huuuge craving for Persona, thus I made myself pay a debt I acquired when I started this series with Persona 3 FES. That debt was, of course, playing the series from the very beggining, and so today I got my hands and all the previous entries on PSP (I borrowed it from a friend) as well as P3P for obvious reasons. So it seems that a long journey is waiting for me, but I'm glad since it will help me calm down this need, the Need for Sp...I mean Persona, the need for Persona. Here we go!

igor.jpg

I don't know if it's been discussed here or not but on the IGN rewind video, one of the guys pointed out that the in game footage all takes place 4/11. The day that you assume control of the MC in Persona 4, and the protagonists seem to be very well acquainted with each other.

Does that mean P5 will not start off with the new student trope?

PK Gaming

So today after the P5 Trailer I got a huuuge craving for Persona, thus I made myself pay a debt I acquired when I started this series with Persona 3 FES. That debt was, of course, playing the series from the very beggining, and so today I got my hands and all the previous entries on PSP (I borrowed it from a friend) as well as P3P for obvious reasons. So it seems that a long journey is waiting for me, but I'm glad since it will help me calm down this need, the Need for Sp...I mean Persona, the need for Persona. Here we go!

igor.jpg

All right, let's do this in style then. Here's my quick guide to Persona 1:

PK Gaming said:
  • Under normal circumstances, your last party member on the main route is Elly or Brown. If you want to get Reiji, follow this guide. It really comes down to preference, though Elly is one of the best characters in the game, and Reiji adds to the story. Brown is whatever.
  • The level up system is weird. EXP points are awarded based on how much a character contributed in battle (killing enemies, healing, etc). Healing and buffs will "always" net you extra EXP points (even if you have a lot of EXP) so if you're up against an enemy that awards a lot of EXP, set some of your characters to heal/buffs.
  • Don't fuss over stats. Prioritize Dex (slightly influences Magic and Guns, which are your go-to, with some Agi and Vit. Feel free to ignore Luck for the most part.
  • Fuse Gozu Tennoh (Chariot lvl 18) and Phaleg (Judgement lvl 18). These 2 Persona will dominate for the majority of the game. The former gains early access to Megidola and a high magic stat(lol) which basically lets you nuke mobs. The latter isn't that strong, but it's immune to all Magic attacks and it gains early access to Mediarama (your ultimate support Persona, basically)
  • Always be fusing isn't "that" necessary in P1 since it's piss easy for the most part. Just try to keep your Personas up to par, and remember skills & magic power >>> pure level.
  • At levels 30 and 47 respectively, you can *fuse* Fool Persona. They're almost impossible to get in regular play(they're fusion accidents that only occur under specific conditions), but there's a trick to getting them to appear. If you're interested, check out this page: http://persona1.wikidot.com/cheat#toc4
  • Contacts are tedious trial and error. Just grin and bear it.
  • Persona 1 is analogous to Persona 4 in terms of endings. It's very, very easy to miss the "good" ending. Here is how you can get it: http://persona1.wikidot.com/sebec

I don't know if it's been discussed here or not but on the IGN rewind video, one of the guys pointed out that the in game footage all takes place 4/11. The day that you assume control of the MC in Persona 4, and the protagonists seem to be very well acquainted with each other.

maybe the 2 characters are so happy to see a transfer student they want to take him out for some fun in the city! :)

does anythink think the anzu character is lovers arcana?

wmlk

I think that's a placeholder date.

Nachos

So any guesses as for what the hero's persona could be? Apparently there's a rumor floating around 2chan that it's Shax, 44th demon of the Ars Goetia. Not only does his story fit the premise, but the demons of Lemegeton would play well with the idea of the seven sins:
Via MT Wiki said:
vOkmT4S.jpg

He is a great Marquis and appears as a stock dove and speaks with a hoarse, subtle voice. His office is to take away the sight, hearing, and understanding of any man or woman at the command of the summoner. He can also steal money out of kings' houses and carry it again in 1200 years and can also fetch horses or many things at the command of the summoner. He must be forced into a triangle first or he will deceive the summoner and tell many lies. He can discover all things that are hidden and not kept by wicked spirits and sometimes bestows good familiars. He commands 30 legions of spirits.

so does this mean, in this persona 5 game, characters will be much more colourful? sorry my ENG not good so i apologise if this comes off incorrect but will the female characters be less "pure" and no more exhibiting virgin tendencies and no more cliche waifu characteristics?
God, I'd love a sex-positive teammate, not only because it could make for an interesting character, but because it'd be hilarious seeing certain circles of otaku react to someone behaving outside of their preconceived notions of what someone of the opposite sex should be.

So someone pointed out in the trailer thread that when Protag falls, there's a red circle around his feet.

I watched the video again, and noticed that it's not just when he falls but when he walks around too.
I was talking to a friend who's a big stealth game buff, and he thought it might actually be a visual indicator for noises you can make that alert nearby enemies. I didn't notice he makes the radial patterns when he walks, so that could be true.

Acid08

Banned

igor.jpg

Just remember: Elly is the only choice for your final party member! Some people might try to convince you that Reiji is the way to go. These people are fools, and not the cool Persona kind of Fool. Just plain ol' fools.

Lunar15

I think that MC's persona is Jack the Ripper. Top hat, cloak, plus the MC uses knives as his main weapon.

However, that would cause some friction with the already-existing Jack Ripper.

Man I still can't believe P5 was announced today. I need to check out this thread and the others to catch up the discussion but that would be tomorrow or in a few days, since I REALLY need sleep. :p Hopefully no one has taken an avatar of the bro character's All Out Attack portrait.

Protagonist: When I first saw his design in the first trailer I thought he was pretty generic, but MAN, I fucking love him now. I'm sure he can beat P3MC in my top of protagonists.

Anne and Ryuji: The Yukari&Junpei/Chie&Yosuke pairing of the game? LET'S GO. Their designs are awesome, I like how graceful Anzu is and I'm sure I'll end up liking a lot Ryuji [SPOILERS]unless he suddenly starts acting like an asshole to you[/SPOILER]

Morgana: I think I already prefer its design over Teddie's haha. Really interesed in how it changes from a normal cat to its mascot design.

FluxWaveZ

Poll #007 results for "Will Persona 5's release date be announced on February 5th?" Most people (including me) were totally wrong; no elaboration on P5's date other than 2015.

Really hype for Persona 5. I just hope i don't have to wait for November to play it.

I'd rather not wait until November, either. Waiting for the NA release of this game after the Japanese release will be the most frustrating experience I've had when it comes to localization times yet.

Nimby

Banned
Man I still can't believe P5 was announced today. I need to check out this thread and the others to catch up the discussion but that would be tomorrow or in a few days, since I REALLY need sleep. :p Hopefully no one has taken an avatar of the bro character's All Out Attack portrait.

Pretty much every face in that trailer has been avatar'd.

so she is like someone who belches hair and wears colored contacts right? the really fashionable type person?

what i mean is you guys know how yukiko naoto and even rise in p4 all are like, MC-kun you are my first love first BF first whatever.

but this time its gona be way different, like the female characters had many many BFs or troubled relationships or no more virgin tendency.

the same goes for the male characters, they will be like diff from yosuke, "I've been with so many chicks in the previous year etc"

Lol, well this is a bunch of people around 15-17 (presumably) so it makes sense for something like that to be their first experience. Yuko (strength from P3) had gone out with a dude before she met the MC, so anything can happen!

I'm imagining hitting rank 10 with a girl and then before you spend a long time together she's all like "btw this isn't my first time" or something and then numerous sad and lonely individuals getting angry about it online, and it's pretty funny.

Lol, well this is a bunch of people around 15-17 (presumably) so it makes sense for something like that to be their first experience. Yuko (strength from P3) had gone out with a dude before she met the MC, so anything can happen!

I'm imagining hitting rank 10 with a girl and then before you spend a long time together she's all like "btw this isn't my first time" or something and then numerous sad and lonely individuals getting angry about it online, and it's pretty funny.

you guys know that won't happen
well firstly this is a JRPG…
and people have told me that things like this, especially female characters having colourful "history" just doesn't bode well with fans, not only that, but doesn't bode well with marketing and selling merchandise etc…

You guys know what I am trying to say? Is it correct or not? Mr Hashino will NOT put in a party romance able character, esp female character, with anything other than being pure maiden. i framed it in the negative because or else people may misinterpret what i am saying

DDS1 looks jank? What do you mean?

I dunno. Something about the way Serph moves through the dungeons looks sluggish. The whole game just feels the slightest bit laggy.

Or maybe that's just cause it's 11PM here.

EDIT:
You know what? I would get a laugh out of that reaction.

FluxWaveZ

The IGN trailer analysis, for anyone who would want to see it.

Never watched one of these, and I didn't think I'd be too into it, but it's actually pretty good so far.

Couple of random things: I do like how the trailer takes place throughout only a single day.Their quote "They're so happy to be who they are," is pretty apt for the vibe I'm getting from the cast, when they aren't part of the daily grind.

.JayZii

Banned
So any guesses as for what the hero's persona could be? Apparently there's a rumor floating around 2chan that it's Shax, 44th demon of the Ars Goetia. Not only does his story fit the premise, but the demons of Lemegeton would play well with the idea of the seven sins:
Shax is a really cool design, and would be an interesting choice, but it doesn't feel quite right to me.

P3's Personas were inspired by Greek and Roman mythology (Ken and Yukari's evolutions being the exceptions).

P4's were based on Japanese mythology.

Given the Seven Deadly Sins motif, I'd wager that P5's are going to be demons, angels and saints from Christian mythology. The hearts on the shoulder and set of wings on the protagonist's Persona just screams Catholicism to me. We shall see.
TNYwcWq.jpg

ugUjM1q.jpg

Soriku

I dunno. Something about the way Serph moves through the dungeons looks sluggish. The whole game just feels the slightest bit laggy.

If you're talking about the way Serph kinda feels like he slides across the floor as he runs, that's normal. It was the same way in Nocturne.

Otherwise I don't remember the game being laggy.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, apparently the cast might actually be in a juvenile detention center? That's interesting, I was thinking it was a normal high school. It would make sense with that promo art for P5, though, not to mention all of the themes Hashino's been talking about.

Or, as suggested in the other thread, it could be a high school specifically suited for delinquents. That sounds cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom