• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
100 page long thread for the trailer? Wow. Is Persona really that popular or is it more to do with the fact that this is the first substantial info we've got on the game?

Jintor

B9J3d8MCYAAeOJu.jpg

lol

100 page long thread for the trailer? Wow. Is Persona really that popular or is it more to do with the fact that this is the first substantial info we've got on the game?
Persona is certainly at it's most popular right now but on top of that it's the first substantial thing we've seen of a game people have waited years for. It also helps that it was a fantastic trailer that brings up more questions than answers which gives people a lot to discuss

Persona is certainly at it's most popular right now but on top of that it's the first substantial thing we've seen of a game people have waited years for. It also helps that it was a fantastic trailer that brings up more questions than answers which gives people a lot to discuss

The last point is especially interesting. Pretty much everyone thats a regular on the gaming side of GAF has at least heard of Persona, but I've seen quite a few people in the trailer topic saying something like "I've never played Persona before but that trailer was hype! Where do I sign up?"

Personally as an SMT and Persona fan I can't help but want to tell these people to play P3P or FES first, but most people seem to point them to Persona 4 Golden. Ah well.

JNA

Banned
The last point is especially interesting. Pretty much everyone thats a regular on the gaming side of GAF has at least heard of Persona, but I've seen quite a few people in the trailer topic saying something like "I've never played Persona before but that trailer was hype! Where do I sign up?"

Personally as an SMT and Persona fan I can't help but want to tell these people to play P3P or FES first, but most people seem to point them to Persona 4 Golden. Ah well.

Persona 5 will be what Oblivion was to Elder Scrolls popularity wise.

It will be the game that pretty much breaks out both in sales and mainstream.

Dantis

Persona 5 will be what Oblivion was to Elder Scrolls popularity wise.

It will be the game that pretty much breaks out both in sales and mainstream.

No chance.

Like I said yesterday, it's way too weird and way too Japanese.

Original P4 and Catherine both felt like they had more mainstream appeal than this.

Nothing that I've seen in P5 seems that much more Japanese than in P4. Going into a TV world to rescue potential murder victims with a talking bear is just as "Japan wacky" as being a masked phantom sneaking around and doing mischief with a talking cat. The only main thing I could see as dissonance from what we've seen so far is that the huge city environment might connect with less people compared to the small town in the West, and even then, huge chunks of our population lives in or near cities so that's probably more of an even split.

Now I DO see there potentially being some cultural dissonance concerning the "chains that bind people down" aspect. I wouldn't be surprised if the chains that are shown to be a huge deal in Japan don't always match up well with Western culture. But they haven't gotten too deep into that with the biggest media given (mainly the trailers)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Society chaining you down isn't a japanese centric thing. There's a reason why punk rock exist.

The gentlemanly thief also is heavily attributed to robin hood.

Shengar

Society chaining you down isn't a japanese centric thing. There's a reason why punk rock exist.

Isn't more attributed to Arsene Lupin? Robin Hood is more noble thief that stole from rich and give it to the poor while gentlemanly thief doing it for the sake of thrill itself. Japanese have their own share of noble thief tale like Ishikawa Goemon, and this perhaps paved the way for gentlemanly thief to become cultural thing for Japan. But I guess what makes it really popular is Arsene Lupin friendly rivalry with Sherlock Holmes, a detective character that Japan have obsession with (so yeah there is high chance that there will be detective rival character who chase you in P5, because rivalry is a must in a gentleman thief story).

No it's not, but I COULD see there being some dissonance on what exactly the chains are. As in what the specific issues are. I honestly think most of the problems faced by characters will be relatable to all folks in western society, but maybe something about specific family/friend dynamics will leave people confused? Such as expectations to follow along with a certain opinion or mindset in the game, that might leave an American wondering why the character didn't just blow off their friends this once?

Things are often said about individualistic vs. collectivist cultures and how there can be differences, that's mainly what I had in mind when I considered that what one culture might see as a potential conflict, the other culture might see as a "meh" sort of thing.

QuadOpto

So...Not sure if it was brought up or not, but in the p-ch news, they've made note of the fact that the trailer has been viewed over a million times in just over a day...

..Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but, just in comparison, the new Final Fantasy XV trailer hasn't gotten nearly that much yet.(Though combining it with views of the other trailers they'd revealed, probably beats P5 by a bit.)

Persona's gettin' pretty hawt.

I really hope Sony gives Persona 5 proper attention. There's some group of people that won't touch it simply because it "looks Japanese" but I think with the heist theme, jazzy soundtrack, and overall stylishness of the game, they can really make P5 a relative hit if they put it in front of enough people.

So...Not sure if it was brought up or not, but in the p-ch news, they've made note of the fact that the trailer has been viewed over a million times in just over a day...

..Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but, just in comparison, the new Final Fantasy XV trailer hasn't gotten nearly that much yet.(Though combining it with views of the other trailers they'd revealed, probably beats P5 by a bit.)

Persona's gettin' pretty hawt.

Yar, the new Final Fantasy XV trailer is a demo trailer. It's not really comparable to the Persona 5 trailer which shows so many new things at once after years of waiting.

A more apt comparison would be the 2014 TGS trailer for Final Fantasy XV, which reached 1.2 million views under a day (and 3 million in three days).

JNA

Banned
I really hope Sony gives Persona 5 proper attention. There's some group of people that won't touch it simply because it "looks Japanese" but I think with the heist theme, jazzy soundtrack, and overall stylishness of the game, they can really make P5 a relative hit if they put it in front of enough people.

Final Fantasy looks more Japanese than ever so I'm pretty sure the whole "it looks Japanese" thing is not such a turn off anymore. :p

But yes Sony better push this game like WWE with Daniel Bryan.

Ooookay...time for you to give me a serious talking to, PersonaGaf...

I never got around to finishing Persona 4 Golden on my Vita.

In fact, the last time I played was way back in May, and my save file says the 22nd. I'm sure that where I left off, Kanji had gone missing and we were counting the days until we had to go in and save him.

My memory of all of the details are a little vague...but I remember the broader story elements.

I'm thinking I need to get back around to really digging in and playing/finishing Persona 4. So do I:

A. Bite the bullet and start over, wiping 14 hours of progress.

B. Trudge on and not worry to much about what I might be forgetting because it'll come back to me.

C. Don't bother at all, because hey, it's only Persona 4.

If I do start over again, it might be on a lower difficult than Normal because I understand the dungeon grind does get to be a bit much and maybe I just want to breeze through it for the story/characters.

QuadOpto

Yar, the new Final Fantasy XV trailer is a demo trailer. It's not really comparable to the Persona 5 trailer which shows so many new things at once after years of waiting.

A more apt comparison would be the 2014 TGS trailer for Final Fantasy XV, which reached 1.2 million views under a day (and 3 million in three days).

Gah, then please disregard what I said, then. :p

All in all though, it does show a good sign when a Persona trailer is on line with a trailer for one the longest-standing JRPG series of all time.(Not that SMT as a whole is all that much newer...)

Ooookay...time for you to give me a serious talking to, PersonaGaf...

I never got around to finishing Persona 4 Golden on my Vita.

In fact, the last time I played was way back in May, and my save file says the 22nd. I'm sure that where I left off, Kanji had gone missing and we were counting the days until we had to go in and save him.

My memory of all of the details are a little vague...but I remember the broader story elements.

I'm thinking I need to get back around to really digging in and playing/finishing Persona 4. So do I:

A. Bite the bullet and start over, wiping 14 hours of progress.

B. Trudge on and not worry to much about what I might be forgetting because it'll come back to me.

C. Don't bother at all, because hey, it's only Persona 4.

If I do start over again, it might be on a lower difficult than Normal because I understand the dungeon grind does get to be a bit much and maybe I just want to breeze through it for the story/characters.

In my (probably harsh) opinion, I feel like if you're only breezing through it for the story and characters, then you'd might as well just watch a silent playthrough on youtube with all of the social links. But you know yourself when it comes to that.

I don't think you'd need to restart due to plot though, not that much has happened from the start until then. You could honestly use the "watch youtube" thing to see what you missed. And IIRC, doesn't Golden have a movie viewr that shows you highlights from the game (I don't own a Vita or the Golden version so I can't talk on that).

I honestly feel like the dungeon crawling in P4 wasn't that terrible, and with all of the changes in the Golden gameplay that generally make things easier, it should be even less of a trouble here. But then again, I'm speaking as a person who was just playing Etrian Odyssey 2 a couple days ago, so I know not all situations are the same.

So long story short, my opinion is that you should keep playing. If you were in Yukiko's dungeon, then maybe I'd have said to start over, but now you're far enough that giving up now wouldn't benefit you too much.

Dawg

It's been about a month since I saved
Naoto.

I also received
a strange letter.

Something is happening soon. I can feel it.

JNA

Banned
Still hoping to see Sony push some marketing for this. Won't this be the first big JRPG on PS4?

Pretty much considering FFXV won't come out for another year or so.

If Sony really wants to push this, hopefully it gets a worldwide release OR at least, a NA release between July-September.

I think November would be a pretty bad idea considering that's usually the month where all the other major AAA games come out. Summer would be perfect but I'm not holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom