• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuadOpto

Well, really the trailer shows the same amount of day phases as P3 and P4 (Early Morning, Morning, Afternoon, Evening) so we still may have the same amount of time overall in being able to do things in a day...

One thing that's interesting though is that the Early Morning phase might actually be controllable, Since you walk through Shibuya Station on a school day.

What if there really is a possibility of skipping school to do something else?

EDIT:...well, unless those are all really cutscenes, if so it's amazing how fluid it looks.

Nimby

Banned
The long day in the trailer has me hopeful about stuff.
Maybe we can actually do a lot of stuff in a day now, instead of spending an entire morning/afternoon making a phone call.

I wanted them to do away with the transitions and do an actual clock. But hopefully you're right.

Pawesome!

tumblr_njf6osauB11u8t5mro1_500.gif

Sauce

Meow!

tumblr_njf60xlgjD1tniopko1_1280.png

Source

Supuurrrior!!

tumblr_njeuxeVv9r1rg2jo3o1_r2_1280.jpg

Sauce

King Fost

Neo Member
So considering the theme of the game is breaking free from society's chains and the fact there's almost certainly going to be additional party members, I think it would be interesting and fitting if one of them was a Korean immigrant. Out of all the non-Japanese ethnic groups in the the country, Koreans are the most numerous and get treated like shit. They have to hide their identities if they want to keep their jobs, they have difficulties getting higher paying jobs and even more so in advancing in them, they face ridicule for their ethnic background, and they're required to "Japanize" their names to even qualify for naturalization.

It doesn't have to be Korean, it could be Chinese immigrants, Caucasian immigrants, or even just someone who's half-Japanese and half-something else. But something dealing with xenophobia and cultural racism in Japan would not only be interesting but fitting thematically. Plus it's rarely covered in the media.

I dunno, what do you think?

Guess Who

Banned
So considering the theme of the game is breaking free from society's chains and the fact there's almost certainly going to be additional party members, I think it would be interesting and fitting if one of them was a Korean immigrant. Out of all the non-Japanese ethnic groups in the the country, Koreans are the most numerous and get treated like shit. They have to hide their identities if they want to keep their jobs, they have difficulties getting higher paying jobs and even more so in advancing in them, they face ridicule for their ethnic background, and they're required to "Japanize" their names to even qualify for naturalization.

It doesn't have to be Korean, it could be Chinese immigrants, Caucasian immigrants, or even just someone who's half-Japanese and half-something else. But something dealing with xenophobia and cultural racism in Japan would not only be interesting but fitting thematically. Plus it's rarely covered in the media.

It's been pretty heavily theorized that the blonde girl is at least partially foreign, since her name can be read as "Anne" and her last name (Takamaki) could be of Finnish origin.

Dantis

I'm thinking that the second trailer is the protagonists awakened personality. The first trailer showed the protagonist obtaining his persona and during that trailer he shows a different personality, jump to the current trailer and he suddenly seems more energetic and outgoing and the same goes for the other party members. This would tie with the breaking the shackles theme in previous trailers, gaining a Persona would break the shackles and thus allow you freedom to express yourself.

I very much doubt that his personality does a full 180 when he awakens to his Persona, not to mention the daytime scenes show him exactly like the first trailer did.

I mean, did you see the delicate way he's holding his bag on the train so that he doesn't hurt the cat? The fact that he carries the cat around with him in his bag at all is less badass and more adorable.

CorvoSol

The Answer

I finally reached Paulownia Mall. I game over'd like, three times on the way, which was incredibly frustrating. The thing is I can't help but feel like I'm crazy underleveled, but the battle system makes the idea of grinding spine-chilling. I'm not a fan of FES' fighting, although I appreciate what it was trying to convey. Likewise, I don't like Aigis' field attack. It's great that you can long-distance attack, but it also seems a little less accurate than knowing where my sword/naginata/katana will land.

Story's interesting so far, but I haven't managed to really experience much of it yet. Yukari's calmed down, which means she's closer to enjoyable Yukari again and less lashing out.

I'm hoping that the cast is thinking the same thing I thought when we got to Paulownia:
If we can go to the past, can't we save the people who died?
I assume the answer is "no" given the way discussion here has played out, but I'd like to know why not in the game.

I just found this Persona Q fanart!

48604427_p0_master1200.jpg
48604427_p1_master1200.jpg
It says they're forbidden.
My speculation in regards to the P5 protagonist is this: You still make all of his dialogue choices, and you still name him personally, but instead the dialogue choices are actively voiced when selected.
Yeah that's what I've been wanting for P5MC since a discussion of how he could a protagonist be more interactive happened in one of the previous OTs. I also wanted this for PQ since both of them are voiced but I understand they didn't to keep the P3 and P4 feel for a silent protagonist.

The Answer

I finally reached Paulownia Mall. I game over'd like, three times on the way, which was incredibly frustrating. The thing is I can't help but feel like I'm crazy underleveled, but the battle system makes the idea of grinding spine-chilling. I'm not a fan of FES' fighting, although I appreciate what it was trying to convey. Likewise, I don't like Aigis' field attack. It's great that you can long-distance attack, but it also seems a little less accurate than knowing where my sword/naginata/katana will land.

Story's interesting so far, but I haven't managed to really experience much of it yet. Yukari's calmed down, which means she's closer to enjoyable Yukari again and less lashing out.

I'm hoping that the cast is thinking the same thing I thought when we got to Paulownia:
If we can go to the past, can't we save the people who died?
I assume the answer is "no" given the way discussion here has played out, but I'd like to know why not in the game.

How are you still persevering through The Answer?

Also, Aigis's AOE attacks usually get a couple misses. I tend to stick to single enemy, multi-hit moves, but her AOE attacks can come in handy when coming across cannon fodder

CorvoSol

How are you still persevering through The Answer?

Also, Aigis's AOE attacks usually get a couple misses. I tend to stick to single enemy, multi-hit moves, but her AOE attacks can come in handy when coming across cannon fodder

Heavy doses of "any other game." I'm at the Port Island part of P4G so I felt I should go and play some more P3TA. In between it is just heavy doses of Hyrule Warriors for me.

Also yeah, I feel like in The Answer my party is less accurate than in any other Persona game. Sorta irks me, haha.

Heavy doses of "any other game." I'm at the Port Island part of P4G so I felt I should go and play some more P3TA. In between it is just heavy doses of Hyrule Warriors for me.

Also yeah, I feel like in The Answer my party is less accurate than in any other Persona game. Sorta irks me, haha.

speed buffs and debuffs are your friends

Tamanon

Banned

They might not necessarily be less accurate, but more shadows have Dodge traits for their weakness, which is pretty damn annoying.

Jachaos

Couldn't handle all the misses and the bosses having "Evade ___" to their weakness. It's such a tough game because of that, but mostly frustrating since a miss can mean you lose a lot of progress.

Tamanon

Banned
It still cracks me up how much of a tonal shift there was between the first and second trailer. I'm really interested to seeing if the characters really are manifesting their personas directly as part of themselves instead of like stands. That'll make using different Personas probably even cooler(maybe different field abilities based on persona, like that dash versus something else). Can't wait for Tuesday!

Nimby

Banned
It still cracks me up how much of a tonal shift there was between the first and second trailer. I'm really interested to seeing if the characters really are manifesting their personas directly as part of themselves instead of like stands. That'll make using different Personas probably even cooler(maybe different field abilities based on persona, like that dash versus something else). Can't wait for Tuesday!

Two reasons to look forward to Tuesday.

So considering the theme of the game is breaking free from society's chains and the fact there's almost certainly going to be adicional party members, I think it would be interesting and fitting if one of them was a Korean immigrant. Out of all the non-Japanese ethnic groups in the the country, Koreans are the most numerous and get treated like shit. They have to hide their identities if they want to keep their jobs, they have difficulties getting higher paying jobs and even more so in advancing in them, they face ridicule for their ethnic background, and they're required to "Japanize" their names to even qualify for naturalization.

That would be interesting. I always heard about how difficult it is for Brazilians dekasegi (of Japanese descent) in Japan. They are the third largest minority after Koreans and Chinese I think.

Xeteh

Yeah, I remember when that first trailer was released people were thinking phones were going to play an enormous part, maybe even as used for summoning personas. How it fit in with the whole slave (to technology) thing they showed. Really weird.

Sophia

The Persona 5 trailer is nearing two million views. Currently at 1.76 million. Good god.... It's only been like three days! o_O;

Jachaos

Yeah, I remember when that first trailer was released people were thinking phones were going to play an enormous part, maybe even as used for summoning personas. How it fit in with the whole slave (to technology) thing they showed. Really weird.

It's especially jarring that he's just walking around alone as if he's really clueless and scared in that first trailer. The only moment he doesn't seem that way is when he seems to be looking at the flaming thing seriously/confidently. Then this second trailer happens and he's nothing like in the first trailer, be it with people or alone in the train/walking in the station.

The shadows are pretty naughty actually.

Oh I'm pretty sure that knight in armour will want to protect his honour, but I don't trust those Hablerie things

LX_Theo

Banned
The Persona 5 trailer is nearing two million views. Currently at 1.76 million. Good god.... It's only been like three days! o_O;

I wonder how exactly they count views. I've definitely contributed several dozens of full watches of that trailer... But do they count them all? Do I have to refresh to get another view? Or what?

Sophia

I wonder how exactly they count views. I've definitely contributed several dozens of full watches of that trailer... But do they count them all? Do I have to refresh to get another view? Or what?

I'm not sure exactly, but it does recognize the same person. That is, watching it, refreshing the page, and watching it again does not count as two views.

Jachaos

Each refresh counts as a view. Staying on the page and restarting it doesn't, but it does contribute to the average watch-time of the video (so say you watch a 1:00 video twice without refreshing and someone else only watched it for a second before closing the page, the average will say 1:00 watch time). By now I'm pretty sure the watch time is over the video's duration itself lol.

I'm not sure exactly, but it does recognize the same person. That is, watching it, refreshing the page, and watching it again does not count as two views.

It does, but they don't count as unique viewers when looking through the stats.

FluxWaveZ

I'm pretty sure it does. It stops counting the views from a same IP after a certain threshold, however. I think it used to be 308 views at some point, but it might be something like 50 or smaller now.

I very much doubt that his personality does a full 180 when he awakens to his Persona, not to mention the daytime scenes show him exactly like the first trailer did.

I mean, did you see the delicate way he's holding his bag on the train so that he doesn't hurt the cat? The fact that he carries the cat around with him in his bag at all is less badass and more adorable.

If his personality did change and thus he became more confident I wouldn't have thought that would change how he treats Morgana, she's supposed to be a friend so it would be odd for him to not ensure her safety.

The reason the idea that a persona is tied to a change in personality crossed my mind is because it would be strange to have a Clark Kent to Superman type of situation happen, considering it looks like he's going to be hanging around with people who won't alter their personality.

LX_Theo

Banned
Each refresh counts as a view. Staying on the page and restarting it doesn't, but it does contribute to the average watch-time of the video (so say you watch a 1:00 video twice without refreshing and someone else only watched it for a second before closing the page, the average will say 1:00 watch time). By now I'm pretty sure the watch time is over the video's duration itself lol.

It does, but they don't count as unique viewers when looking through the stats.

Interesting.

I tended to just pressed the restart button at the beginning of the video and not refresh. I also watched it a number of times from other sources and such, as well. I probably contributed ten-twenty views based on this info.

I have to say guys, the music that plays in the snow during late December/Early January of Persona 4 Golden combined with the fact I know the game is almost over makes me sad. While I enjoyed Persona 3 I've truly fallen in love with Persona 4/Golden and it's characters/world have sucked me in a lot and I really don't want to see this journey come to an end. Even in context of the game with MC knowing he's moving back soon and the story reflecting "these are our last few months together" really makes me sad. :'[

Jachaos

I have to say guys, the music that plays in the snow during late December/Early January of Persona 4 Golden combined with the fact I know the game is almost over makes me sad. While I enjoyed Persona 3 I've truly fallen in love with Persona 4/Golden and it's characters/world have sucked me in a lot and I really don't want to see this journey come to an end. Even in context of the game with MC knowing he's moving back soon and the story reflecting "these are our last few months together" really makes me sad. :'[

I know :(

It had seriously been a long while since a game made me tear up. P3 and P4 both managed to do it during their credits.

Also, early
January
you say?
Watch out for teammates' heads soon (as in, if you see an exclamation mark above their heads, don't ignore it).

Kane1345

I know exactly how you feel :(

CorvoSol

speed buffs and debuffs are your friends

When I get those. I finally know what Reyf means when he says he hates Shuffle Time. FES' taking cards off screen so I can't follow them with my eyes makes getting the card I want dumb luck.

They might not necessarily be less accurate, but more shadows have Dodge traits for their weakness, which is pretty damn annoying.

So far I've also had to deal with Shadows having weaknesses to elements I don't have. Mitsuru I miss yooooou!

Couldn't handle all the misses and the bosses having "Evade ___" to their weakness. It's such a tough game because of that, but mostly frustrating since a miss can mean you lose a lot of progress.

I missed an enemy in one fight in one turn and game over'd. Because it was Magarula x 4 after that.

Dude yeah, I was super sad to see the game end. Arena and Ultimax helped me to make all the peace with it I could, but YMMV on that, I guess. I also played every Persona game after 4G, so 5 might be the first time I'm not late to this Persona thing (I won't have money)

JNA

Banned
Yeah, I can't wait to have the P5MC transform into Mara.

Flux pls. :p

Although a dick riding chariot in the streets of Tokyo would be a sight to see lol.

Actually not even 3 days. It was uploaded around 7ish AM EST on the 5th.

It will be interesting to see how much it will have after a month.

When I get those. I finally know what Reyf means when he says he hates Shuffle Time. FES' taking cards off screen so I can't follow them with my eyes makes getting the card I want dumb luck.

I get what I want every single time, the trick to it is very simple to figure out.

FluxWaveZ

Atlus USA uploaded the first two Persona 5 teasers 3 months after their Japan reveals. I wonder if E3 2015 would be the place for them to release theirs for PV01 this time. Well, it'll probably end up being one of the best trailers released this year, so having it shown once again on the big stage but for a North American audience would be an awesome thing.

Atlus USA uploaded the first two Persona 5 teasers 3 months after their Japan reveals. I wonder if E3 2015 would be the place for them to release theirs for PV01 this time. Well, it'll probably end up being one of the best trailers released this year, so having it shown once again on the big stage for a North American audience would be an awesome thing.

It would have to depend on how far along with the localization they are. Unlike the last two trailers they can't just reupload this one with a few minor changes, since this one actually shows ingame text, especially not if it's going to be on the main stage for E3. They'll have to put together their own trailer.

Sophia

I get what I want every single time, the trick to it is very simple to figure out.

Same here. None of the Shuffle Time minigames in P3 are random. Each of them has a pattern. I used to think there was one of them that was random too, but it's not.

It would have to depend on how far along with the localization they are. Unlike the last two trailers they can't just reupload this one with a few minor changes, since this one actually shows ingame text, especially not if it's going to be on the main stage for E3. They'll have to put together their own trailer.

Believe in the near simultaneous release, Crimson. Believe in the Atlus that believes in you
r death. Because they feed off your tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom