• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

My speculation in regards to the P5 protagonist is this: You still make all of his dialogue choices, and you still name him personally, but instead the dialogue choices are actively voiced when selected. So kinda like Mass Effect meets Catherine in a way.

Reason I think this is because they wouldn't have gotten Jun Fukuyama to voice him if they weren't going to make extensive use of it somehow. His forte is his range, and his ability to be dramatic. Definitely not the kind of actor you get for a silent protagonist, if the P5 protagonist can even be considered a mute at this point with how expressive he is in the gameplay trailer.

Nimby

Banned
What Rise crap?

I haven't played Golden, so I don't know the requirements. Rise will randomly jump in battle and either raise a stat or raise HP/MP. It happens very frequently in battle and of course makes an easy game much much easier.

Well, they do, kinda. Sometimes, Chie goes into battle on her scooter even though she's not in my party.

I meant everyone could give verbal support when not in battle.

Really? That was one of my favorite new features in P4G. Finally the support was actually useful (although I did enjoy just listening to Laura Baileys voice).

I wouldn't mind it if their interactions didn't interfere with the battle. Or if it was locked to a difficulty setting. I just don't want to play like that, I like battles in RPGs to be completely controlled by me.

Squire

Banned
My speculation in regards to the P5 protagonist is this: You still make all of his dialogue choices, and you still name him personally, but instead the dialogue choices are actively voiced when selected. So kinda like Mass Effect meets Catherine in a way.

Reason I think this is because they wouldn't have gotten Jun Fukuyama to voice him if they weren't going to make extensive use of it somehow. His forte is his range, and his ability to be dramatic. Definitely not the kind of actor you get for a silent protagonist, if the P5 protagonist can even be considered a mute at this point with how expressive he is in the gameplay trailer.

Brilliant observation. They went out of their way to cast Jun and have him speak at PSL. After Catherine, I could them wanting a voiced protagonist for P5 and Hashino clearly observes western design trends, as evidenced by him mentioning the element of moral choice in Infamous.

It all fits really well with the comment from New Years.

Jachaos

I wouldn't mind it if their interactions didn't interfere with the battle. Or if it was locked to a difficulty setting. I just don't want to play like that, I like battles in RPGs to be completely controlled by me.

I actually liked it but I guess it does make the end game much easier than the beginning at times.

Maybe if those abilities were tied to a meter you have to build up somehow, like in Persona Q. Though I'd still want her to act on her own and help me out when I'm in trouble like a real support would do, so no choosing what skill she should use like in Persona Q.

Nimby

Banned

After watching the trailer, I want him to be voiced too. If P5 was more of the same it wouldn't really mind a silent protag. I always felt Serph needed a voice in DDS, a silent protag didn't really fit that game's atmosphere and design, but someone said there were story reasons behind that too.

I actually liked it but I guess it does make the end game much easier than the beginning at times.

Maybe if those abilities were tied to a meter you have to build up somehow, like in Persona Q. Though I'd still want her to act on her own and help me out when I'm in trouble like a real support would do, so no choosing what skill she should use like in Persona Q.

Yeah, the problem I have with it is that P4 is completely doable without those aspects. It'd be hard to succeed in PQ without the use of support skills. So I'd definitely welcome something like that.

LX_Theo

Banned

They could also simply be casting with the idea that they'll do an anime eventually and he'd fit best when they kept the game VAs

That train landing shot is so fucking good. Hot damn.

Also I agree. The first trailer presented him how the world sees him, whilst the second trailer shows how he wants to be seen. That very concept isn't possible with Makoto or Narukami. There's not enough there to warrant it.

I'm thinking that the second trailer is the protagonists awakened personality. The first trailer showed the protagonist obtaining his persona and during that trailer he shows a different personality, jump to the current trailer and he suddenly seems more energetic and outgoing and the same goes for the other party members. This would tie with the breaking the shackles theme in previous trailers, gaining a Persona would break the shackles and thus allow you freedom to express yourself.

FluxWaveZ

This has to be the least taxing localization yet for P4.

Well, we don't really know because the game's story mode might actually be quite substantial. Still, it might be likely, since I feel like the story mode will still be shorter in length compared to P4A/P4AU, and there might be less to record, overall.

A month difference between releases like P4AU would be cool; it's why I want to think July 28.

QuadOpto

Plus, the sooner P4D is out the sooner the creme de la creme can come out!

...I am wondering if ATLUSUSA will include the Blu-Ray when released as well...

...I'm just realllly hoping that localized P5 could possibly come out at least late September, since that would be the best birthday present I could possibly imagine.

...But more realistically, I could see it being October, or even November, if it's big enough to require that much time.

FluxWaveZ

There were people thinking that P5 will be a late Q4 release in Japan, and I really don't think that's the case when Hashino's saying stuff like:
It’s been a while since we’ve heard anything new. How’s development coming along?

Hashino: Things are really coming along and we’re starting to hit our quality benchmarks in terms of what goes into the game, so at this stage, we’re hard at work building the game and fleshing it out. We’re just as eager to bring this game out finally so they can enjoy what all we’ve been working on and day by day, we’re getting closer to the finish line. It’s just going to be a little while longer now before it’s here.
It's the first time in 7 years he's said something other than "it'll be a long wait" when talking about P5's release. It's easily going to be Q3.

Sophia

There were people thinking that P5 will be a late Q4 release in Japan, and I really don't think that's the case when Hashino's saying stuff like:

It's the first time in 7 years he's said something other than "it'll be a long wait" when talking about P5's release. It's easily going to be Q3.

I'm telling ya. August 2015 for Japan, and October for us US/EU folks!

I wanna be optimistic here, because the game looks so goooood.

I just realized that Scrunchie girl idea is probably dead.

Scrunchie Girl will be priestess and the Token Good Teammate of the party.

It's not just design, it feels like they're taking clear strides in setting up the P5 protagonist as his own entity—at least, in comparison to the other Persona protagonists. There was that bit in the live show where he directly spoke the audience, his phantom "phantom", and just the way he's presented.

There's simply more to him than any other protagonist. The fact that he attempts to pull off a heist at one point feels like a testament to that.

EDIT: There's also that animated opening sequence. I can't think of a megaten protagonist who directly appears alongside the other protagonists. (P4G doesn't count!)
You may be on to something but I would suggest not getting ahead of yourself--we really don't even know what the party members are like, let alone the protagonist, and they're guaranteed to have a stronger presence even if the protagonist ends up being voiced (which I highly doubt he will).

The animated scenes you quoted I wouldn't read too much into any more than I would read into the dancing in P4G's opening--it's there to set a tone for the game, not necessarily the tone of the characters.

I think maybe wait to pull the trigger on character assumptions until we actually see what the game is really like beyond a trailer, lest we jump into the trap that the previous trailer set up that suggested to people that the protagonist was "meek, quiet, and reserved." I mean, we really still don't know what's really going on in P5.

I edited the running cat gif, to give her a full body. And made the background clean. She also walks in the dark. :D

salu6isr.gif
73zitp3y.gif

Squire

Banned
Oh wow. That's amazing.

I think persona 5 and splatoon are the only ones recently that got fan art off of 1 or two trailers. It's crazy good.

Fan artists are a bit like political cartoonists in that they react to current events relevant to them. It's kinda fascinating.

Dragon's Crown probably got more fanart before it came out than after, and by several magnitudes.

The only "popularity" i remember was the whole controversy with exaggerating "certain character's features", and then i never saw anything related to it again. Had no idea it got popular at all

Busaiku

The long day in the trailer has me hopeful about stuff.
Maybe we can actually do a lot of stuff in a day now, instead of spending an entire morning/afternoon making a phone call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom