• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of character is Anne, anyway, if we've already decided on what voices fit her?

Attempting to cast characters we don't know anything about seems strange.

Squire

Banned
That'd be pretty awesome. She was great in Tamers and Cowboy Bebop.

Oh my god, Melissa Fahn would NAIL Anne

Hell, she'd nail Morgana

AtlusUSA, you know what to do

Seriously. Rika was sooooo good.

Atlus have already worked with Fahn on Devil Survivor so I'd think she's actually a possibility for Anne. She'd do good work on her that's for sure.

Not to mention she was the voice of Yumi in P4.

!!!!!!!!

PK Gaming

What kind of character is Anne, anyway, if we've already decided on what voices fit her?

Attempting to cast characters we don't know anything about seems strange.

This is all purely theoretical, and many of these casting choices will likely go out the window once we know more about the characters.

But it's fun, so no harm done. Regardless, Melissa Fahn's got mad range, so she can pull off (insert whatever)-teenager or cute cat mascot no problem.

Sophia

In a way, I kinda want Anne to share the same boss-type Tsundere role that Yukari filled. At the same time, I kinda want her to subvert any previous type castings they've done before.

So what is that image then? I'm guessing it may be the concept for an All-Out Attack, or Cut-In, before they decided on the style they did now...

If so, I'm glad with what they decided to go with! The mugshot book is a lot more unique and cool-looking than a simple set of eyes going across the screen would be.:p

Seriously, I still think it's just an advertisement for an all-boys idol group.

tZvrJGr.jpg

In a way, I kinda want Anne to share the same boss-type Tsundere role that Yukari filled. At the same time, I kinda want her to subvert any previous type castings they've done before.

Given how she's shown to get irritated at Ryuji in the trailer, I think we're safe on that front. I just wonder to what degree.

PK Gaming

It'd be really cool if Anne was like

latest

*Ahem*

I'd prefer it if Anne wasn't the bossy character. I feel that it's kind of a crutch that writers use when inserting a girl into a trio.

Dantis

It'd be really cool if Anne was like

latest

*Ahem*

I'd prefer it if Anne wasn't the bossy character. I feel that it's kind of a crutch that writers often use when creating stories with a trio.

It really, really wouldn't.

She was actually a really interesting character by DR standards, but she was also super over the top.

So quick question about valentines day

Does Nanako always
bake you the slime shaped mysterious chocolate x? Or does that only happen if you have multiple lovers and have to turn most of them down?

Dantis

The trio won't stay a trip for long, I'm sure. I mean, it's already four, given Morgana is clearly a character.

In the day scenes, Morgana is just a normal cat though, and presumably most of the significant interactions will happen during the day.

Squire

Banned
In the day scenes, Morgana is just a normal cat though, and presumably most of the significant interactions will happen during the day.

I'm sure she speaks in and out of cat-form. That's probably part of why MC carries her around.

It's also not really a new idea in fiction. XD

PK Gaming

It really, really wouldn't.

She was actually a really interesting character by DR standards, but she was also super over the top.

Oh don't read into what I posted, I was just messing around.

That said

(DR spoilers)

Are we talking about the same girl? "Junko" was fairly down to earth. Junko was over the top.

There is that scene in the cafe where Morgana isn't in her normal cat form so she would presumably change if there are any significant interactions.

Dantis

I'm sure she speaks in and out of cat-form. That's probably part of why MC carries her around.

It's also not really a new idea in fiction. XD
If she talks when she's a cat I'm going to have all kinds of problems with her.

Oh don't read into what I posted, I was just messing around.

That said

(DR spoilers)

Are we talking about the same girl? "Junko" was fairly down to earth. Junko was over the top.
Blerg.
I was talking about the other one. That one is super boring.

Now the real question, is Morgana a cat who awakened to the power of Persona due to reasons? Or was she always a humanoid cat being with Persona powers that can transform back into a cat to blend in

Squire

Banned
If she talks when she's a cat I'm going to have all kinds of problems with her.

Blerg.
I was talking about the other one. That one is super boring.

Honestly? They'd be breaking new ground, if she didn't. From a conceptual stand point, a cat being in the mix at all is a trope from the Magic Kaito/phantom thief formula.

I love it though. Kiki's Delivery Ssrvice is one of my favorite films, haha.

Dantis

Honestly? They'd be breaking new ground, if she didn't. From a conceptual stand point, a cat being in the mix at all is a trope from the Magic Kaito/phantom thief formula.

I love it though. Kiki's Delivery Ssrvice is one of my favorite films, haha.
I've actually never seen that one. :S

I didn't even know there was a cat in it!

Sophia

My theory:
Morganna isn't a cat. She's the goddess/whathaveyou that gave the protagonist their powers of Persona.

Squire

Banned
I've actually never seen that one. :S

I didn't even know there was a cat in it!

Dude, what?! It's not the best, but it's a personal favorite for me.

The cat in it is cool. Phil Hartman played him in the dub.

My theory:
Morganna isn't a cat. She's the goddess/whathaveyou that gave the protagonist their powers of Persona.

Yep. Like I said before and on the podcast, I think she is quite literally Atlus' depiction of Morgan le Fey.

QuadOpto

My theory:

I firmly side with that theory.

Also side with the one as brought up in the S.Link Podcast that she may be the actual Morgana or Morgan Le Fay, though I guess that's a little separate.

In any case, I think there's more to her than just being the sidekick/team mascot.

Squire

Banned
I'll rent it, then.

Spirited Away is my favourite because I have uninteresting opinions.

Nonsense. Spirited Away is quite fantastic. I haven't seen it in a few years and if like, too.

Hurry up with that Blu-Ray, Disney.

I firmly side with that theory.

Also side with the one as brought up in the S.Link Podcast that she may be the actual Morgana or Morgan Le Fay, though I guess that's a little separate.

In any case, I think there's more to her than just being the sidekick/team mascot.

Yeah, Sophia's had some good theories.

That was me on the podcast. Morgan le Fey is exactly the type of figure SMT regularly includes.

QuadOpto

Y'know, there's one thing that sorta bugs me a bit...

A big part of the other games, besides the social aspects, was preparing for the next required branch of story; fighting optional bosses, collecting stuff for sidequests, fulfilling requests and grinding to fuse new, amazing personas.

So, if the dungeons are all gonna be heists, or operations, how will we revisit them? Or level up in preparation for the next one?

I can see it maybe being like Persona 3 Full Moon Bosses, where the heists are in separate areas that you can't revisit, but then Persona 3 also had Tartarus for you to go through in your spare time to level up and stuff.(Like ultimately climb up and beat the game).

...So...do people think we might have another giant, central dungeon(With probably random-generated floors) to go through in our spare time?

I do notice that in-battle they were in a rather dungeon-ish environment...

Sophia

Yeah, Sophia's had some good theories.

That was me on the podcast. Morgan le Fey is exactly the type of figure SMT regularly includes.

My more serious (read: Not scrunchie girl) theories about the gameplay have been pretty spot on. The setting and stealth elements were completely out of left field tho. But now I can speculation based on what Atlus has/hasn't done before.

The idea that Morganna is Morgan le Fey didn't actually cross my mind until you mentioned it on the podcast. I definitely do think they're not going to take any previous approach here however. So not merely being a normal cat who gets a Persona (I.E. Koromaru in P3) and
not merely being a normal shadow turned humanoid (I.E. Tedide in Persona 4.)

Going back to the Morgan le Fey theory, it's rather interesting to note that in many of the later King Arthur mythos she ends up being an antagonist to Arthur herself. To quote an except from Wikipedia: "Morgan is an indirect instrument of Arthur's death, though she eventually reconciles with him and retains her original role, serving as one of the queens who take him to Avalon."

With the protagonists being anti-heroes within the setting, this opens up a lot of interpretations as to where the story goes. I suspect it'll still be a dark story (along the lines of P2/P3) myself.

I'm pretty much hyped as all hell now that we actually know something about the game tho. Now there's room to work with, areas to speculate on, details to gloss over. It's an exciting time.

A big part of the other games, besides the social aspects, was preparing for the next required branch of story; fighting optional bosses, collecting stuff for sidequests, fulfilling requests and grinding to fuse new, amazing personas.

So, if the dungeons are all gonna be heists, or operations, how will we revisit them? Or level up in preparation for the next one?

I can see it maybe being like Persona 3 Full Moon Bosses, where the heists are in separate areas that you can't revisit, but then Persona 3 also had Tartarus for you to go through in your spare time to level up and stuff.(Like ultimately climb up and beat the game).

...So...do people think we might have another giant, central dungeon(With probably random-generated floors) to go through in our spare time?

My speculation: The city itself is a giant overworld/dungeon to explore at night, possibly with randomized elements, and all other dungeons branch off from it.

They could just do something similar to P4 where the dungeon opens on a certain day and you beat it to progress the story and then after that they throw a mini boss at the top for you to go after if you want to revisit dungeons.

Squire

Banned
My more serious (read: Not scrunchie girl) theories about the gameplay have been pretty spot on. The setting and stealth elements were completely out of left field tho. But now I can speculation based on what Atlus has/hasn't done before.

The idea that Morganna is Morgan le Fey didn't actually cross my mind until you mentioned it on the podcast. I definitely do think they're not going to take any previous approach here however. So not merely being a normal cat who gets a Persona (I.E. Koromaru in P3) and
not merely being a normal shadow turned humanoid (I.E. Tedide in Persona 4.)

Going back to the Morgan le Fey theory, it's rather interesting to note that in many of the later King Arthur mythos she ends up being an antagonist to Arthur herself. To quote an except from Wikipedia: "Morgan is an indirect instrument of Arthur's death, though she eventually reconciles with him and retains her original role, serving as one of the queens who take him to Avalon."

With the protagonists being anti-heroes within the setting, this opens up a lot of interpretations as to where the story goes. I suspect it'll still be a dark story (along the lines of P2/P3) myself.

Yeah, I took a look at Wikipedia's intro summary on her myself. I noticed she's known to have many lovers - that supports luxuria (lust) being the sun she represents.

She also has nine of something. I don't recall what, but given that they say cats have nine lives, I figure her being a cat is both indulgence of the classic trope and convenient symbolism.

Drop

I think the heists will probably be events like the full moon bosses in p3, for dungeon like areas where you can allways go, considering the location I'd like if it was just the city, fighting demons in the streets of Tokyo.

My theory:

Hmm, Idk. Seems like she has her own Persona, Luxuria. I'm thinking she gained her powers at the same time as the MC.

Edit: Also, if you watch the TGS trailer, MC has his bag with him (the one that Morgana travels along in) when he comes to Shibuya crossing and sees the blue flames. Assuming that's related to gaining his Persona, she might have gained the powers simply by being with him.

Squire

Banned
I think the TGS trailer seeds the idea that demons are among humans and only those with the potential can see them. I bet we're going back to the P1/2 style of not needing dungeons per se. The end-of-month locations will be the heists; the weeks leading up will consist of the characters gathering the equipment they need and formulsting their plan of movement.

QuadOpto

People translated the menu screens where the names were.

There's just some debate since it's Kanji.

The big issue of the Anne/Anzu is that the Kanji symbol for the name looks like this(Her name's the bottom-most out of the 4.):

Persona-5-Menu.jpg

The character for Anzu looks like this:

3049.png

...And the character for Anne looks..well..

..From what I can see through looking it up on google, "Anne" doesn't really seem to be one character, but I don't really know since my Japanese isn't anywhere near amazing-tier level.

Most pictures I find either have both of these symbols, or the one on the right:

Anne_82720102230_Kanji_Name.jpeg

..so I guess that's why it's confusing? I personally think that it's Anzu, but I also still think that she's foreign(like partly) in some way, so all in all I dunno.

Drop

I think the TGS trailer seeds the idea that demons are among humans and only those with the potential can see them. I bet we're going back to the P1/2 style of not needing dungeons per se. The end-of-month locations will be the heists; the weeks leading up will consist of the characters gathering the equipment they need and formulsting their plan of movement.

This, I was trying to figure out how they're going to separate demon and human world this time around, and this could be a way, but wouldn't the characters be in constant danger if that was the case?

Squire

Banned
This, I was trying to figure out how they're going to separate demon and human world this time around, and this could be a way, but wouldn't the characters be in constant danger if that were the case?

The two worlds could be at peace. The crew stealing shit might warp that though.

Sophia

..so I guess that's why it's confusing? I personally think that it's Anzu, but I also still think that she's foreign in some way, so all in all I dunno.

Who knows. It's entirely possible she is foreign, but normalized her name in some manner. "杏" is definitely a valid kanji for Anne. Ken Watanabe's daughter goes by such.

Hmm, Idk. Seems like she has her own Persona, Luxuria. I'm thinking she gained her powers at the same time as the MC.

Edit: Also, if you watch the TGS trailer, MC has his bag with him (the one that Morgana travels along in) when he comes to Shibuya crossing and sees the blue flames. Assuming that's related to gaining his Persona, she might have gained the powers simply by being with him.

I guess it's possible. Without knowing the context of the TGS trailer or how the party members got their Personas, we're all making a whole lot of leaps in logic.

This theory of yours is pretty much what Persona 1 and Persona 2 ran on, actually. It's only one shit starts hitting the fan and all hell breaks lose do demons attack the protagonists, and even then, not everywhere.

That said, I'm still a fan of the idea that the world is SMT IV style, and it gradually opens up as you progress day by day. With each heist or whatever being a specific dungeon like how each section of the city was its own dungeon in IV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom