• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makio

This isn't exactly a Persona thing, weird people exist everywhere.

Yeah of course any media (or fandom) has his mayor weirdos.

But i was talking in general about this fandom , we are excited , we are hyped. (the fan art community is going nuts) but there are people who get overexcited in things.

Talking bullshit , making over the top reactions and comments , analyzing any single frame and making like 1000 theories for a single screenshot.

That's is not bad but when people get nuts for something like a trailer is when i put the line.

And the guy is a fine example of over the top and sick hype.

arue

Saving this post for the sake of prosperity.

I'm not usually one to whine for dual audio (I'm fine with English dub and view dual audio as a bonus)....but Persona 5 have THE Fukuyama Jun (Lelouch from Code Geass) voicing the main character...hmmm....I personally would love it if Atlus surprised me the way they did with the first Persona 4 Arena (which had dual audio...but please, none of that region-locking crap)....but I wouldn't keep my hopes up.
Same here. I'd love dual audio, but if they region-locked the game because of that, I don't want it.

Drop

There's a tweet going around of a dude who ejaculated on an usb stick containing the Persona 5 trailer.

What. The. Actual. FUCK.

I really hope to never come across it.

Changing subject, guys you're all making me really want to play Catherine.

FluxWaveZ

I find it kind of hard to envision why someone who's interested in Persona 5 wouldn't want to play Catherine, tbh. Exact same creative crew, with a narrative structure very much like Persona. The basis for P Studio's HD development, which was clearly used as a foundation for Persona 5.

LX_Theo

Banned
I really hope to never come across it.

Have you never played it?

Play Catherine.

Play Catherine

Yeah of course any media (or fandom) has his mayor weirdos.

But i was talking in general about this fandom , we are excited , we are hyped. (the fan art community is going nuts) but there are people who get overexcited in things.

Talking bullshit , making over the top reactions and comments , analyzing any single frame and making like 1000 theories for a single screenshot.

That's is not bad but when people get nuts for something like a trailer is when i put the line.

And the guy is a fine example of over the top and sick hype.

That happens with any notable fanbase, realistically.

If anything, that just means this fanbase has "made it" :p

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
oh man, that's so good. I think I actually prefer this over the colored version. It reminds a lot of this, stylewise:

090527_soejima.jpg

Dantis does a good job of emulating Soejima's style, save for the necks. ;P

Did we get any confirmation that Protag or even "Phantom " is voiced by Fukuyama? I mean, distinctive voice or no, it could still be someone else.

This is why I'm not really antsy for a Persona 6 following Persona 5. I want P Studio to do whatever they want to, whether that's a Persona game or something entirely different. Persona 5's showing that they have a lot of room for creative expression within the series, but I would never want them to feel creatively constrained and forced to churn out main Persona games by their overlords, even if that's not what they wanted to do.
It's really exciting knowing that whatever they do next will be different, regardless of if that ends up being Persona 6 or something new. It's clear that they not only have the freedom to do something different but they also have the talent to pull it off.

Makio

Catherine is called the Tech Demo of Persona 5 , i dont like that but seriously that trailer give me more Catherine vibes than more Persona series vibes

If anyone wants to play p5 needs to play Catherine first , see what Atlus is going to do in a ps3 game ... is good for give us a idea.

Things i really want from Catherine to Persona :
The text message thing reflects to the story.
ALL my choices changes the game and lead to a different ending.
Social linking (bar clients) stories stick to the main plot.
The jukebox with music from the old games.

Drop

I find it kind of hard to envision why someone who's interested in Persona 5 wouldn't want to play Catherine, tbh. Exact same creative crew, with a narrative structure very much like Persona. The basis for P Studio's HD development, which was clearly used as a foundation for Persona 5.

It's not that I don't want to play it, obviously, but right now I can't.
It's on my list of games I'll play as soon as I can, alongside PQ, Danganronpa 2 and Virtue's last reward.
It hurts to even mention them T_T

wmlk

Honestly, I just dislike the cover. Easy decision for me not to get it.

I don't like getting games digitally, either.

I watched probably 100% of the game. I just wouldn't want something with that cover in my home.

wmlk

I said before but Fukuyama could just be voicing MC's shadow or something. I don't think it's clearly one thing or another.

People should totally play Catherine, the gameplay might not click with you but it's worth going through for the characters and the story. It's a bizarre game and there's nothing out there quite like it, I cannot recommend it enough especially if you're a Persona fan.

Persona 5 Gameplay reveal. This is the only voiced segment that we had regarding who's going to voice the MC and what's not. That voice is definitely Fukuyama Jun. He's known for being great at hamming stuff up.

Yeah, but that could still be anyone, and people are saying it's him with such certainty.

I mean my portfolio for the guy is admittedly small (and coincidentally lacks Lelouch - I haven't watched Code Geass in a significant capacity) so maybe people are hearing something I'm not?

I mean, he seems to have the right range and all, so I dunno.

FluxWaveZ

Logically, that voice is the P5MC. What the person says on stage is exactly what the calling card—representing the P5MC as the Phantom—depicted as a tease for PSL2015:
It straight up says: "Advance notice: Tonight I will appear in Nippon Budokan."

Someone's going to be voicing the P5MC. Knowing that, knowing that calling card and knowing that Famitsu was "raided" by the same thief who threatened to appear at the concert... well, it's not really hard to connect the dots together.

wmlk

Logically, that voice is the P5MC. What the person says on stage is exactly what the calling card—representing the P5MC as the Phantom—depicted as a tease for PSL2015:

It straight up says: "Advance notice: Tonight I will appear in Nippon Budokan."

Someone's going to be voicing the P5MC. Knowing that, knowing that calling card and knowing that Famitsu was "raided" by the same thief who threatened to appear at the concert... well, it's not really hard to connect the dots together.

Yeah, we know it was the Phantom, but I don't think MC is walking around with that voice since he appears totally different in some scenes.

I think he gets that voice when he takes the form of the Phantom. There seems to be some supernatural connection there and that's why I don't think it's the voice of the MC in a normal scenario.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, we know it was the Phantom, but I don't think MC is walking around with that voice since he appears totally different in some scenes.

But isn't that what Soejima's talking about when he says:
The protagonist’s seemingly docile nature is a profound ruse.

I think he gets that voice when he takes the form of the Phantom. There seems to be some supernatural connection there and that's why I don't think it's the voice of the MC in a normal scenario.

So you think the P5MC's character will have two different voice actors?

Andrefpvs

Is it normal to miss Inaba just one day after you finish it? ;_;

Dawg, I got ya. Here's the "Inaba withdrawal plan" for you!

1. Play Persona 3!
  2. Play or find a way to know the story (YouTube, etc.) of Persona 3: The Answer.
  3. Finally return to Inaba! Play the story of Persona 4 Arena, the sequel to both Persona 4 and Persona 3: The Answer! No PS3? Send a cheque to Atlus and watch the story mode somewhere.
  4. After that, play the story of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, the sequel to Persona 4 Arena! Whoa, my Inaba adventures can't possibly continue, right?
  5. Nope! Play Persona Q and get more of all those P3 and P4 characters, because why the hell not?
  6. Step 6! How much more Inaba can you Inabate? Get Persona 4 Dancing All Night, which story mode is set after all of the games listed above. Wow, could you imagine this step? It's genius!

No reason to say goodbye to Inaba yet!

Makio

My question in this is ... how much dialogue gonna have the phantom / MC in this one.

I totally don't see a mute (only shouting Persona names) like the last two, this gonna have dialogue at least in the cutscenes.

Dawg

Dawg, I got ya. Here's the "Inaba withdrawal plan" for you!

1. Play Persona 3!
  2. Play or find a way to know the story (YouTube, etc.) of Persona 3: The Answer.
  3. Finally return to Inaba! Play the story of Persona 4 Arena, the sequel to both Persona 4 and Persona 3: The Answer! No PS3? Send a cheque to Atlus and watch the story mode somewhere.
  4. After that, play the story of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, the sequel to Persona 4 Arena! Whoa, my Inaba adventures can't possibly continue, right?
  5. Nope! Play Persona Q and get more of all those P3 and P4 characters, because why the hell not?
  6. Step 6! How much more Inaba can you Inabate? Get Persona 4 Dancing All Night, which story mode is set after all of the games listed above. Wow, could you imagine this step? It's genius!

No reason to say goodbye to Inaba yet!

Getting Persona 3 Portable when it's on sale.

I will get Dancing if it is PSTV compatible.

I'm really bad at fighting games (even at Mortal Kombat...) so I'm afraid the Arena games would be awful for me :c

I will also return to Inaba for my platinum run. I just need to find a decent walkthrough with a step by step guide for every book, social link and Hardcore Risette Fan.

Currently doing both Danganronpas.

Will also spend A LOT of time with MGS V later this year.

When all of this is done, surely Persona 5 will be out...!

arue

he stole my heart so easily.

Same here.

Regarding Phantom/MC's voice, both of them will still be voiced by Jun Fukuyama. Since he has a great range, his voice will work for the MC as Phantom and as a regular school boy.

Regular voice by day.
Deep voice by night.

LX_Theo

Banned

I'm really bad at fighting games (even at Mortal Kombat...) so I'm afraid the Arena games would be awful for me :c

I will also return to Inaba for my platinum run. I just need to find a decent walkthrough with a step by step guide for every book, social link and Hardcore Risette Fan.

The Arena games are generally balanced for the nonfighting game Person fans can play it. The vast majority of the time spent in the story mode isn't even on fights anyways.

Also, here is a guide for social links and books. Its the one I used to platinum it. Technically, it can be done in the original run with this one.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/641695-persona-4-golden/faqs/64630

Never saw a good HRF guide when I was platinuming it.

Andrefpvs

Here's how to win at every story mode fight in Arena:

1. Mash Square
  2. Repeat 1

But hey, if you don't want to see what Chie's room looks like, that's on you :p

Dawg

The Arena games are generally balanced for the nonfighting game Person fans can play it. The vast majority of the time spent in the story mode isn't even on fights anyways.

Also, here is a guide for social links and books. Its the one I used to platinum it. Technically, it can be done in the original run with this one.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/641695-persona-4-golden/faqs/64630

Never saw a good HRF guide when I was platinuming it.

Here's how to win at every story mode fight in Arena:

1. Mash Square
  2. Repeat 1

But hey, if you don't want to see what Chie's room looks like, that's on you :p

The lack of HRF guide worries me. I'm really worried that'll be the only trophy I'll miss :(

Also, the true problem for me regarding Arena -> I have no PlayStation 3 anymore.

FluxWaveZ

Heck, pretty much every single main character VA in Persona 4 was forced to pull off dual identities, for both P4 and P4AU. Then there's also Sho/Minazuki and Labrys/Shadow Labrys, and I never really felt that one of the identities had a significantly worse voice than the other, despite being distinctive and performed by the same VA. There's no reason why the P5MC would need two different VAs if performed by a capable actor.

Jachaos

I'll get you those walkthroughs I used. But yeah, with DR1, DR2, P3P, P4A (fighting portions of Story Mode are easy or I guess Youtube), P4AU, P4DAN, MGSV and more, yeah P5 should be out. I hope.

MSMrRound

I'm really worried that'll be the only trophy I'll miss :(

Stop insisting on sticking to one team D=

Rotate around. I got my HRF thing around *dungeon spoiler!*
Heaven
just by going around leveling up on gold hands.

Remember you can self-inflict statuses (if I'm not wrong), which counts towards unique lines as well. "___ knocked down two/three/four enemies/ _dodged attack etc" counts too.

Don't level up Rise's social link at such a fast pace. Higher social link level=her navigational lines might change. You might miss out on a few if you progress it too fast without taking advantage of it.

Lunar15

Ugh, I still can't get over how much I love the new protagonist's design. Such a 180 from his original reveal, I'm just in shock.

Soejima used really simple and obvious touches to make it work. The big glasses he wears during the day pull attention away from his eyes, and his shaggy hair obscures them. It makes him seem withdrawn and vulnerable. However, when you remove the glasses, the hair actually outlines his eyes, making him seem mysterious and brooding. Then, with the phantom mask, which is black on the inside and white on the outside, it draws attention directly to his eyes, which makes him seem incredibly imposing and alert.

Also, this made me realize why that one picture with the 3 protagonists didn't show MC's face: If they had shown him without his glasses, the whole idea of him being someone completely different than his first appearance would have been spoiled. And if they showed him as the more docile version of himself, it would have looked out of place against Yu and Makoto.

Oh, also, I realized what they meant in Famitsu about the whole "different sounding persona summon noise" Now it sounds more like breaking a chain, like the sounds we heard in the second trailer, when it shows Hashino, Soejima, and Meguro's names.

FluxWaveZ

Oh, also, I realized what they meant in Famitsu about the whole "different sounding persona summon noise" Now it sounds more like breaking a chain, like the sounds we heard in the second trailer, when it shows Hashino, Soejima, and Meguro's names.

This? You're likely right; that would definitely fall in line with how they described the new summon sound for P5. Certainly a more painful sounding summon effect.

Dawg

I'll get you those walkthroughs I used. But yeah, with DR1, DR2, P3P, P4A (fighting portions of Story Mode are easy or I guess Youtube), P4AU, P4DAN, MGSV and more, yeah P5 should be out. I hope.

Thanks bro <3

Stop insisting on sticking to one team D=

Rotate around. I got my HRF thing around *dungeon spoiler!*
Heaven
just by going around leveling up on gold hands.

Remember you can self-inflict statuses (if I'm not wrong), which counts towards unique lines as well. "___ knocked down two/three/four enemies/ _dodged attack etc" counts too.

Don't level up Rise's social link at such a fast pace. Higher social link level=her navigational lines might change. You might miss out on a few if you progress it too fast without taking advantage of it.

The thing about the lines is kinda confusing. Do you have to hear Risette say something or does it only count if you see the text as well? I honestly can't remember that many encounters where I would see Rise say something accompanied by text tbh.

This? You're likely right; that would definitely fall in line with how they described the new summon sound for P5. Certainly a more painful sounding summon effect.

I pointed out that the sound at the end of the recent trailer sounds like the regular summon sound, though. So then, what's going on there?

Edit: Ok, played the chain sound and the trailer end back back to back and they actually sound pretty similar too, though there's a certain sharpness to the chain sound.

Squire

Banned
Ugh, I still can't get over how much I love the new protagonist's design. Such a 180 from his original reveal, I'm just in shock.

Soejima used really simple and obvious touches to make it work. The big glasses he wears during the day pull attention away from his eyes, and his shaggy hair obscures them. It makes him seem withdrawn and vulnerable. However, when you remove the glasses, the hair actually outlines his eyes, making him seem mysterious and brooding. Then, with the phantom mask, which is black on the inside and white on the outside, it draws attention directly to his eyes, which makes him seem incredibly imposing and alert.

Also, this made me realize why that one picture with the 3 protagonists didn't show MC's face: If they had shown him without his glasses, the whole idea of him being someone completely different than his first appearance would have been spoiled. And if they showed him as the more docile version of himself, it would have looked out of place against Yu and Makoto.

Good observations. Soejima is right to call his outward appearance a profound ruse. Atlus basically tested it on us and I think it very much worked. People were completely fooled. Even in light of the darker tone the first teaser established, no one questioned the seeming innocence of the MC. Nobody stopped to consider that maybe there was something more sinister at play.

LX_Theo

Banned
Thanks bro <3

The thing about the lines is kinda confusing. Do you have to hear Risette say something or does it only count if you see the text as well? I honestly can't remember that many encounters where I would see Rise say something accompanied by text tbh.

This was why the trophy is such a pain. Atlus never made it clear.

When I was researching how to do it for my platinum, I found contradicting info on counted lines cross over to new game plus or not. What exactly counted was being debated. Etc. etc.

In the end, what I did was find a list someone had compiled of as many lies as they could, and started from scratch in checking everything off as I got them. Took me a couple hours after starting that.

I would suggest simply playing through your second run at the time and varying your party considerably and the other suggestions made. If you still don't have it by the end of that run, then start looking for a strategy to tackle it.

Sophia

Anyone who thinks Jun Fukuyama can't pull off the main character needs to see more of his performances. This dude can pull off Watanuki and Lelouch and make them sound nothing alike. His vocal range is quite simply incredible.

While he's not my favorite seiyuu (if you have to ask who THAT is...), he's definitely up there among some of the finest the industry has.

Anyone who thinks Jun Fukuyama can't pull off the main character needs to see more of his performances. This dude can pull off Watanuki and Lelouch and make them sound nothing alike. His vocal range is quite simply incredible.

While he's not my favorite seiyuu (if you have to ask who THAT is...), he's definitely up there among some of the finest the industry has.

I definitely didn't deny that he could. I'm just wondering about the possibility that it's not who everyone thinks it is since VA's can sound really similar to one another.

arue

Sophia

I definitely didn't deny that he could. I'm just wondering about the possibility that it's not who everyone thinks it is since VA's can sound really similar to one another.

I have no doubt he is voicing the main character. He is absolutely perfect for the role and no other VA has a voice quite like his. Especially his Lelouch voice. Now that we know the theme of Persona 5, I'd dare say there is no other actor better.

Dawg

This was why the trophy is such a pain. Atlus never made it clear.

When I was researching how to do it for my platinum, I found contradicting info on counted lines cross over to new game plus or not. What exactly counted was being debated. Etc. etc.

In the end, what I did was find a list someone had compiled of as many lies as they could, and started from scratch in checking everything off as I got them. Took me a couple hours after starting that.

I would suggest simply playing through your second run at the time and varying your party considerably and the other suggestions made. If you still don't have it by the end of that run, then start looking for a strategy to tackle it.

You talking 'bout that word .doc from the playstation trophies site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom