• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verder

Ive noticed around 56 secs into the P5 trailer when it shows someone (probably the MC?) falling off the building and turning into the persona. I see 4 other people standing there and letting it happen. Possibly could be the other Party members and the MC and they are about to fight a shadow? or something.

kinda blurry photo.

the 4 also really stand out.

Lunar15

This? You're likely right; that would definitely fall in line with how they described the new summon sound for P5. Certainly a more painful sounding summon effect.

Wow, someone recorded that specific sound effect? Huh.

But yeah, that's definitely what I'm referring to. It played whenever the ball and chain broke on top of someone's name. I think it's totally what they're talking about in Famitsu. Also, it makes more sense now in the context of "breaking free" and the whole prison theme, etc.

koutoru

I have no doubt he is voicing the main character. He is absolutely perfect for the role and no other VA has a voice quite like his. Especially his Lelouch voice. Now that we know the theme of Persona 5, I'd dare say there is no other actor better.
If he's going to be using his Lelouch voice, then I would rather not have a silent protagonist who only speaks during battles.

You just don't hire voice talent like that to put in a silent role, seems like a waste.

FluxWaveZ

Wow, someone recorded that specific sound effect? Huh.

But yeah, that's definitely what I'm referring to. It played whenever the ball and chain broke on top of someone's name. I think it's totally what they're talking about in Famitsu. Also, it makes more sense now in the context of "breaking free" and the whole prison theme, etc.

That would be me, heh (notice the URL). I recorded that moment when teaser trailer #2 went up because that sound reminded me of a Persona summoning sound effect, and I've been using it for certain notification sounds

Yeah, it's certainly looking like that's Persona 5's summoning sound effect. It's a more violent and aggressive sounding one; I like it.

I looked at the lengths of the openings for P3, P4 and P3P, and all 3 are about 1:35 long. That also is the standard length for anime openings.

Meanwhile, the section of the trailer that's supposedly the OP music is around 2 minutes. I think there's an extra loop at the end there to cover all the footage they wanted.

So I did some audio editing and removed that third loop in the P5 opening. As I suspected, it brings the song down to 1:32-ish. Sooooooooooooo yeah. Dunno if anyone cares about this, but whatever.

Lunar15

That would be me, heh (notice the URL). I recorded that moment when teaser trailer #2 went up because that sound reminded me of a Persona summoning sound effect, and I've been using it for certain notification sounds

Yeah, it's certainly looking like that's Persona 5's summoning sound effect. It's a more violent and aggressive sounding one; I like it.

But then this question remains: Why did they use the old summoning noise at the end of the trailer? Is it an oversight or is there actual significance there?

But then this question remains: Why did they use the old summoning noise at the end of the trailer? Is it an oversight or is there actual significance there?

Well the P4 cast will still have that for their summoning noise when they show up.

It could just be that it's instantly recognisable as the Persona summoning noise, whereas a new one wouldn't be yet, so they decided to use the old one instead.

FluxWaveZ

I think CrimsonFist is right, in that it's just a more recognizable sound effect regarding Persona summoning, so it was just to succinctly indicate that the P5MC is summoning a Persona at the end of the trailer.

Style

Banned
Ive noticed around 56 secs into the P5 trailer when it shows someone (probably the MC?) falling off the building and turning into the persona. I see 4 other people standing there and letting it happen. Possibly could be the other Party members and the MC and they are about to fight a shadow? or something.

kinda blurry photo.

the 4 also really stand out.

Regarding this, I think this scene is actually what we saw in the first teaser. When the protagonist walks amongst the people and see the blue flash, it looks like the silhouette has blue wings. We can see in the art of the protagonist and his Persona that it has blue wings too. The first teaser might actually be his first encounter with his Persona. The scene in the first teaser matches that bit in the new trailer.

LX_Theo

Banned
If the summoning animation is them transforming into the Personas, I wonder how they're going to compensate for all the different Personas and Persona body types. Can't make a custom animation for every Persona that way.

Actually, now that I think of it... With the seemingly more defined personality of the protagonist this time around, what are the chances of him not having a wildcard ability. It seems like a given, yeah. But maybe they'll try something new for changing between Personas (Personas option in menu shows its not gone completely regardless)

PK Gaming

If the summoning animation is them transforming into the Personas, I wonder how they're going to compensate for all the different Personas and Persona body types. Can't make a custom animation for every Persona that way.

Actually, now that I think of it... With the seemingly more defined personality of the protagonist this time around, what are the chances of him not having a wildcard ability. It seems like a given, yeah. But maybe they'll try something new for changing between Personas (Personas option in menu shows its not gone completely regardless)

My money's on a Persona summoning being split between "traditional" summoning (ie the user can summon Jack Frost and friends) and "transformation" summoning (ie the user transforms into their unique Persona).

The famitsu info said that Arsene is the protag's first Persona, so I'm taking that to mean that you can swap it out like in every other game, and it doesn't really have any special status.

The transformation part might just be the awakening sequence.

arue

One small detail that I noticed in the trailer is that the girl next to him (the one holding a phone in her hand) looked in his direction after he hit the train door. You can see that she turned her head a little bit.
f4s1Z3j.gif
It's around 1:05 in the video if the .gif is too fast. It's nothing significant, but it's neat to see how much detail they put into this trailer (and game).

One small detail that I noticed in the trailer is that the girl next to him (the one holding a phone in her hand) looked in his direction after he hit the train door. You can see that she turned her head a little bit.

It's around 1:05 in the video if the .gif is too fast. It's nothing significant, but it's neat to see how much detail they put into this trailer (and game).

Oh, yeah. There's a bit during that part where Protag gets hit with chalk like that too.
If you look at the the people in the next row over, one girl lifts her hands to her chest in surprise while the teacher is winding up, and the others turn around when Protag is hit.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah. A more overt and obvious scene is when the protag gets hit by the piece of chalk, and everyone turns their head towards him. However, there's a subtle touch in that scene like the one you pointed out:
Right before the chalk leaves the teacher's hand, you can see the girl immediately to the P5MC's upper right-hand side bracing herself for what's about to happen and pre-emptively turn her head towards him, while everyone else turns their heads pretty much when the chalk hits him.

The increase in graphical fidelity for Persona will lead to a lot of cool stuff like that.

Oh, yeah. There's a bit during that part where Protag gets hit with chalk like that too.
If you look at the the people in the next row over, one girl lifts her hands to her chest in surprise while the teacher is winding up, and the others turn around when Protag is hit.

Oh... wow! Haha, nice coincidence.

Squire

Banned
My money's on a Persona summoning being split between "traditional" summoning (ie the user can summon Jack Frost and friends) and "transformation" summoning (ie the user transforms into their unique Persona).

This is what I was thinking, but isn't MC labeled as "JOKER - The Fool" somewhere on the menu UI in the trailer?

Perhaps that's it. He's not the wild card, he's the joker ;)

That could make sense narratively, too. There's something he needs to contend with for his own sake. Makoto and Yu fell into situations that they sort of wafted through until it became apparent late in both games that the outcome was riding on them. The way Atlus describes P5MCs situation, you could conclude there's nothing "wild" about it.

Zareka

How's the P4 anime (for someone who's played P4G)? Was browsing Hulu today and noticed it was there.

It's alright. The actual animation can be a bit, uh, weird at times, but it's a decent watch if you're interested in seeing what some scenes would look like animated.

Drop

This is what I was thinking, but isn't MC labeled as "JOKER - The Fool" somewhere on the menu UI in the trailer?

Perhaps that's it. He's not the wild card, he's the joker ;)

That could make sense narratively, too. There's something he needs to contend with for his own sake. Makoto and Yu fell into situations that they sort of wafted through until it became apparent late in both games that the outcome was riding on them. The way Atlus describes P5MCs situation, you could conclude there's nothing "wild" about it.

But Joker is just an adaptation of the fool, it's how the fool gets represented in decks of playing cards, where it's the only major arcana to appear.
Perhaps it's going to have a deeper meaning, but until they explain further he doesn't appear to be any different than Narukami and Yuki in that regard. Also we saw him in the velvet room, if he's not a wild card why would he be in there?

Squire

Banned
But Joker is just an adaptation of the fool, it's how the fool gets represented in decks of playing cards, where it's the only major arcana to appear.
Perhaps it's going to have a deeper meaning, but until they explain further he doesn't appear to be any different than Narukami and Yuki in that regard. Also we saw him in the velvet room, if he's not a wild card why would he be in there?

It's all just speculation, but let me ask you this: How do you know that that is indeed the Velvet room? Is that that not the prison he could find himself locked in if he does t handle his issue?

It probably is the Velvet room and he probably is the wild card, but it's fun to speculate.

It's all just speculation, but let me ask you this: How do you know that that is indeed the Velvet room? Is that that not the prison he could find himself locked in if he does t handle his issue?

It probably is the Velvet room and he probably is the wild card, but it's fun to speculate.

The scene in the trailer where he appears to be a prisoner is a “mental prison,”

I feel like it is the Velvet Room as well, it's the right colour and you can see the assistants briefly, it just takes the form of the mental prison this time.

Another difference from P3/4 is that the Velvet Room is no longer moving.

Having the wild card was never a requirement to enter the room in the earlier Personas. 5 could easily drop that rule too.

Drop

Don't get me wrong, I like speculation too, I was just expressing my opinion on the matter.
I hope it didn't sound like a "no fun allowed" kind of comment, if that's the case I apologize.

Maybe I should have said, what seems to be the velvet room, anyway we can see two figures that really look like the twins we've seen previously on the trailer, right before the camera close in on the mc.
The odd thing about it is that they have eyepatches, one on the left eye, and one on the right eye. Looking closely the eyepatches are visible the first time we see them too. I wonder wha't up with that.

I feel like it is the Velvet Room as well, it's the right colour and you can see the assistants briefly, it just takes the form of the mental prison this time.

Another difference from P3/4 is that the Velvet Room is no longer moving.

Having the wild card was never a requirement to enter the room in the earlier Personas. 5 could easily drop that rule too.

I didn't play p1 and p2, but wasn't everyone who's been in the velvet room able to use multiple persona?

But that brings up an interesting idea, what if we actually get restriction on what persona we can fuse depending on social links?
I'm thinking of a system that that allows you to fuse persona of a specific arcana, only if you've already established the relative s. link, they could even tie the level of the persona you can fuse to the s. link level, so that you can fuse powerful persona only if you developed the s. link enough.

jzbluz

I think everyone had the wild card? I think there were non persona users who knew about the velvet room because of the rumours; a NPC mentioned going where the velvet room was supposed to be and finding nothing there. Or maybe the NPC was confused about what Igor and company were doing in that room. Can't quite remember. But yeah, everyone of importance had the wild card.

Zareka

I don't think the Wild Card was a thing, or at least ever mentioned, in Persona before 3. Hell, the point I'm at in Eternal Punishment right now some shmuck who can't (so far) even use a Persona follows me into the Velvet Room. He says something like "W-what is this place?!" when I speak to him.

Providing they aren't continuing with how Persona 3 and 4 worked you may not even need the Wild Card to enter the Velvet Room.

FluxWaveZ

I think everyone had the wild card? I think there were non persona users who knew about the velvet room because of the rumours; a NPC mentioned going where the velvet room was supposed to be and finding nothing there. Or maybe the NPC was confused about what Igor and company were doing in that room. Can't quite remember. But yeah, everyone of importance had the wild card.

Aside from thewild card not being a concept in P1 or P2, there've been several times where people not wielding multiple Personas gained access to the Velvet Room (P2, P3FES, PQ, P4AU). Yeah, as stated above, even certain "normal" people could see and access that place in P2.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
On another topic, d'you guys think that soejima will release another personal artbook after P5? He'll have plenty of new material by then, with catherine, Arena, Q and 5. Maybe Golden and DAN.

Certainly hope so. The last one was pretty awesome.

Kazzy

How's the P4 anime (for someone who's played P4G)? Was browsing Hulu today and noticed it was there.

It's the proverbial 'Greatest Hits' of Persona 4. Sure, it'll Stoke the fires a little, but it won't be nearly as intimate or exciting as when you first experienced what that narrative had to offer.

Treat it as a companion piece and you'll be fine. The best thing I can say about it, is that it does a decent enough job of conveying all[/] (well, almost) the things that you remember from the game. As is always the case, whenever the anime gets mentioned, I'm obliged to reference the shoddiness of the animation.

arue

On another topic, d'you guys think that soejima will release another personal artbook after P5? He'll have plenty of new material by then, with catherine, Arena, Q and 5. Maybe Golden and DAN.

Certainly hope so. The last one was pretty awesome.
I think I could see it happen some time in the future, depending how fast Persona 6 will be released after 5. If P6 is a 2017 game, then it's possible for the artbook to be released after P6.

I'm glad this includes onomatapeaic comic book words; that was a neat touch in VC.

Yeah. A more overt and obvious scene is when the protag gets hit by the piece of chalk, and everyone turns their head towards him. However, there's a subtle touch in that scene like the one you pointed out:

Right before the chalk leaves the teacher's hand, you can see the girl immediately to the P5MC's upper right-hand side bracing herself for what's about to happen and pre-emptively turn her head towards him, while everyone else turns their heads pretty much when the chalk hits him.

The increase in graphical fidelity for Persona will lead to a lot of cool stuff like that.

Also note Anzu/Anne compared to the rest of the class. Pick out your future partymembers by their getting away with slackin' on the dress code! :D

Meia

The anime does a few things *really* well(the Chie/Yukiko things in the first few episodes are incredible), and then you'll wish they took the same care with the other party members, sadly(Rise's new stuff was good as well, Kanji gets nothing as does Naoto). The biggest problem the original anime has is that it's rushed, particularly at the end-game.

On the topic of dress codes, isn't this a private posh strict kind of school? I would imagine the dress code will be enforced.

But why can the Anne/anzu character be so different?

DNAbro

We already know that the MC has the fool arcana so this the wild card. Unless they change it for whatever the reason.

Shengar

Wow, that is the level of subtlety detail that is the signature of Japanese developer. Very similar to MGS2's block of ice (also bird poop) and Shenmue's expanding ramen.

FluxWaveZ

So yeah, the P5MC doesn't necessarily (always) transform into his Persona, it seems. In the scan, he's attached to Arsene by a chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom