• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one screenshot. It has 3D models as portraits, as well as characters physically stood in 3D environments.

qf0tLSg.jpg

this is honestly what i expected p5 to look like

LX_Theo

Banned
I'm... not sure that I agree, actually. Persona's writing is very good, but it's Hashino's, Meguro's and Soejima's direction that elevates it in my mind.

Like, if Kido and Tanaka left, I wouldn't be worried. If Soejima left, I would be concerned about how that would impact the series' future.

Do the writers really deserve it more than the lead programmers or designers? I think the three are really the ones who give P Studio its current identity, and that's pretty much why they're the ones who get highlighted. They're very talented people (not to say the rest of the team isn't). There's some stuff here and there for the other members, like the Yuichiro Tanaka interview in the P4A art book.

I mean the next to none exposure at all. I'm not saying the big three don't deserve their exposure. They definitely do. I'm just comparing it to how much I see on some key individuals down the line.

Like Kido. I was curious what else that writer has worked on after that was brought up here, and I can only find a few links about what has been credited to Kido. Some of them are even inconsistent with each other.

With how much attention is available to be given to the big three, I just find it sort of a shame that people like the writers in this sort of series come across like less than blips on a radar.

Ryota Koduka is definitely one of my favorite videogame music composers right now. I LOVED SMTIV's ost and I can't get anough of Dance.

Dantis

Ryota Koduka is definitely one of my favorite videogame music composers right now. I LOVED SMTIV's ost and I can't get anough of Dance.

Keep in mind that Koduka hasn't been confirmed as the composer of Dance, I don't think.

It is a brilliant track, though.

Also I'm hoping that the epilogue designs are in the base game.

(loose) translation: Epilogue designs aren't being used because they aren't as iconic. We did the same thing in arena.

tumblr_m0nlwiuBkV1qzogo3.gif

Yeeeep.

FluxWaveZ

Dance! is great, though I don't think Ryota Koduka did that one.

Also, on the P4D website, they list the Pursuing My True Self remix by Koduka as "Kozuka." I guess he goes by both.

LJ said Koduka composed dance a few days ago.

Oh really? Cool, I had no idea.

Squire

Banned
I prefer the notes coming from off-screen as opposed to the center (PDF>>>Love Live!), but it's good to hear P4D should up to par with its contemporaries.

Not the best move, probably.

It's the Kanye v. 50cent of our time!

Edit: LMAO @ the canon posts. Welcome to two years ago, guys!

not using epilogue designs only really sucks for Kanji as he was the only vastly different one.

Naoto doesn't have her breasts wrapped and hidden in P4D though, so shes sort've post epilogue. Chie and Yukiko had mostly subtle changes in the epilogue that they could've went with no problem. Yu, Teddie, and Yosuke all look the same anyway.

considering Rise is in a completely new outfit, iconic look wasn't 100% priority, so they really should've just slapped new or epilogue street clothes on everyone (except Naoto, hers makes sense if she was working at the time)

not using epilogue designs only really sucks for Kanji as he was the only vastly different one.

Naoto doesn't have her breasts wrapped and hidden in P4D though, so shes sort've post epilogue. Chie and Yukiko had mostly subtle changes in the epilogue that they could've went with no problem. Yu, Teddie, and Yosuke all look the same anyway.

considering Rise is in a completely new outfit, iconic look wasn't 100% priority, so they really should've just slapped new or epilogue street clothes on everyone (except Naoto, hers makes sense if she was working at the time)

I agree.

CorvoSol

It takes place after the epilogue but doesn't acknowledge the epilogue's designs at all.

"It's canon guys, we swear."

Yeah, lol, okay.

In Arena Yu's all "I gotta put on this uniform of a high school I no longer attend cuz it's like I'm suiting up as a super hero"

so in Dancing Kanji will be all "I have to bleach my hair again because it's part of my super secret hero look. Also better find my contacts"

I've got a sneaking suspicion about who the final boss of DAN is.
Yet another shinto god that's the embodiment of those who refuse to feel that funky flow.

Man, if that's what you expected P5 to look like, then your expectations must have been insanely low. o_O;
I agree with him, its realyl what I expected too. I figured 3D models would be good enough now to do away with 2D representations, and Persona has always had good designs for menus and UI. I just didn't think time, nor budget would allow them to create what we saw in that trailer. Its made me even more excited as well as impressed

Sophia

I agree with him, its realyl what I expected too. I figured 3D models would be good enough now to do away with 2D representations, and Persona has always had good designs for menus and UI. I just didn't think time, nor budget would allow them to create what we saw in that trailer. Its made me even more excited as well as impressed

I dunno. Think you guys might be a bit too cynical then. I didn't expect a significant drop from what we saw in Catherine, especially after it was announced for the PS4.

kewlmyc

Would anyone be upset if it was non canon, like PQ? Seems better than what the writers are trying to do with the Arena series and now DAN as well. Trying to make spinoffs canon that are based on a game that had a completely closed ending seems silly. It's as if the writers feel that their fanbase would be upset if the story wasn't canon or something.

Would anyone be upset if it was non canon, like PQ? Seems better than what the writers are trying to do with the Arena series and now DAN as well. Trying to make spinoffs canon that are based on a game that had a completely closed ending seems silly. It's as if the writers feel that their fanbase would be upset if the story wasn't canon or something.
I'd rather be non-canon and get something more akin to Persona 4-2 as an actual sequel. I love getting new characters, new setting, and new story, but I would still enjoy getting more time with the P4 characters as well. And even though I really enjoy arena, its not quite what I'm looking for.

Though I owe Arena, I would have never played any Persona game if it wasn't for it. I never pass up an Arc System Works game, and after 1 hour in story mode, I immediately stopped, preordered golden, and bought P3P and played through it, not continuing P4A story until I finished golden.

Weiss

Banned
I know it's never going to happen, but I would love to get an artbook of the Personae artwork from Persona 1. The period of time from Devil Summoner all the way to Persona 2 is the apex of Kazuma Kaneko's style.

MIP_Vishnu_2.jpg

Look at this bad mofo. Pretty much all of the original designs from Persona ooze style.

Setsu00

Q is canon and it does expand the Persona universe significantly in my opinion.

Anyway, I will miss the epilogue designs a lot.

Dantis

Watch it be hand waved as 'midnight internet changed how you look back because you looked cooler this way'

I'm willing to bet that this isn't far off the truth.

That or they make a reference to the pop band scene and say they have to revert back to how they looked then or something equally dumb.

Either way it's stupid.

PK Gaming

So... Genuine question, coming your way
Q16: Is the name of the main character Yu Narukami in this game?

A: Yes.
While it would've been convienient to be able to name the main character, we felt that him being called Yu Narukami made more sense.
Everyone who has played the games has known him as Yu Narukami, and we felt that would fit the main image of his character in P4D.

When he says main character, he's speaking in a general sense right? Like Rise is the main protagonist of this game for sure... right?

Dantis

Presumably not, seeing as, besides that statement, the first song on the official site is Dance!, and it says that it's Narukami's song.

Deal with it, Rise fans.

Lunar15

I still like how Dance! starts out with the singer basically saying that they're maxed out on truth. No more reaching, no more pursuing. Like, really you guys, we're totally fucking stuffed with truth.

Dantis

I still like how Dance! starts out with the singer basically saying that they're maxed out on truth. No more reaching, no more pursuing. Like, really you guys, we're totally fucking stuffed with truth.

Yep. The whole song has lines like that. There's one where they say they never compromised on truth.

It's like a last hurrah for Persona 4. The lyrics are mega cheesy, but in a weirdly sweet way.

Lunar15

Well I mean, first they found the truth, then they found the true-truth, then they all fought each other to find some more truth, then they fought shadow versions of themselves again to find the truth behind why they fought each other in the last game, except now there was even more truth involved.

We got truth for days, son!

God, I really can't stress how glad I am that P5 seems pretty different, thematically speaking.

Weiss

Banned
I'm hoping they're taking a Soul Hackers style plot, with criminal vigilantes taking on a large, seemingly untouchable public entity.

Lunar15

You know I've been thinking about that in regards to P5's plot....

What if the reason the protagonists are stealing items is because they need to reclaim their hearts?

Not sure, but looks like Arsene has stolen several hearts: It's shown as a tally on his shoulder!

(Real talk, people's hearts are probably imprisoned by the "evil force", and we have to infiltrate and free them. Seems fairly straightforward to me).

Sophia

They steal hearts
to reclaim theirs
, It sounds like another game series..

I was thinking actual objects to get something metaphorical, instead of one metaphorical for another.

Not sure, but looks like Arsene has stolen several hearts: It's shown as a tally on his shoulder!

(Real talk, people's hearts are probably imprisoned by the "evil force", and we have to infiltrate and free them. Seems fairly straightforward to me).

Doesn't quite fit. We know the protagonist did something to end up in the situation he's in now.

Verder

Inaba pride Exhibit made me almost want to quit Persona Q. I dislike that dungeon so damn much. With a burning passion.

Lunar15

I was thinking actual objects to get something metaphorical, instead of one metaphorical for another.

Doesn't quite fit. We know the protagonist did something to end up in the situation he's in now.

Could be, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. However, I view it more as Protagonist does something wrong, such as getting a persona when he shouldn't, and as a result, he's imprisoned in the velvet room. Igor approaches him as a Parole Officer of sorts, and says that if he can help him out in various ways, he'll avoid being stuck in prison forever.

I'm probably still stuck in the P4 mindset, where the self-actualization aspect came about through each character being found in their own dungeon. That's not necessarily the case here, it could be that they're stealing stuff to help themselves this time, as you suggested.

Still, I think the main character is stealing hearts for several reasons: First, that emblem we keep seeing says "Take Your Heart". Second, Arsene has hearts crossed out on his shoulder, like targets. Lastly, at the end of the P5 trailer, during the Persona Live concert, The Phantom leaves by saying "I have truly stolen all of your hearts".

Also, the game focuses heavily on exuberance and passion. Hashino kept reflecting on the fact that the characters, once liberated from social constraints, are full of energy. Passion is usually tied metaphorically to the heart.

Finally, I think the Dengeki article mentioned "Items" mainly because they wanted to be very non-specific and avoid spoilers. But who knows! Part of me wonders if the non "event" dungeons (the random ones) are tied to gathering items for you to use in the "main event" dungeons, which are the flashier and more important ones (not random).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom