• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

The camera work has been outstanding on all Persona live shows, very well directed and edited, it makes the shows even more exciting to watch.
I get the impression that very few Persona fans actually buy these dvds which is a shame.

To be fair, a Persona habit can get very expensive very fast

Lusankya

What!!!!!!!!???????

Dantis pls don't play with my heart

Can u really not renane mc in p4dancing.

If the mc cannot be renamed then I'll defininetly pass on this game. Sucks!

Sorry didn't c the above message, def gona pass this game now. I don't buy mr wada's reason one bit. Most ppl named p4mc Yu narukami? Please...

God damnit I really wanted this game

Uhm, I don't really get why this is such a big issue for you. You don't buy a game (which you would have bought otherwise), just because you can't name the main character?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
To be fair, a Persona habit can get very expensive very fast

You're just not dedicated enough.

rzdpFVy.jpg

So I've finally got around to playing Persona Q. Yes, my P3 bros are back. I've missed them so much. :) I..actually liking Rei and Zen as party members. There's some really funny banter in the game, especially between Akihiko and Shinjiro. Gameplay is great, not really that much different from SMT games. (I haven't played Etrian Odyssey games yet) Does the party size stay at 5 members? I see there's another slot but you can't put anyone there.

I'm getting a feeling the game is going to be reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaally long. Drawing maps takes time! ;)

You have six slots so you can have the option of using either a 2-3 or a 3-2 formation.
Rei and Zen as characters are pretty lame imo but I have them in my party because they have good skills.
I'm still playing it myself and yeah, it's a big game.
I beat the first dungeon on hard but then I changed to normal or else I'll never be done with the game. I've settled with Makoto, Yu, Yukari, Naoto and Rei/Zen. Naoto was invaluable in the second dungeon, most enemies are vulnerable to light or dark.
The game itself is very close to the EO games, I only played EO4 but dropped it eventually, didn't have the patience for it. Fortunately in PQ going back and forth between the hub and the dungeons is a lot easier. You can start from the last floor you visited, shortcuts are more generous and goho-m is cheap enough that you can always carry a few with you.

You're just not dedicated enough.

Damn...

http://gematsu.com/2015/02/persona-4-dancing-all-night-official-japanese-site-relaunches There's a few additional details in Gematsu's translation:

Would you classify Dancing All Night as a story-driven music game, rather than just a pure music game?

Correct. Chronologically, the game takes place after Persona 4 Golden‘s epilogue. We’ll talk more later about why some things might appear to be surprising reversions sometime later down the line.

Reversions being why they don't use the epilogue designs?

Dantis

Correct. Chronologically, the game takes place after Persona 4 Golden‘s epilogue. We’ll talk more later about why some things might appear to be surprising reversions sometime later down the line.

On the one hand, this means that I was right about when the epilogue takes place.

On the other hand, I am now furious about there being no epilogue designs.

Uhm, I don't really get why this is such a big issue for you. You don't buy a game (which you would have bought otherwise), just because you can't name the main character?

So I am the only one here on gaf who feels strongly about this?

Sorry if this sounds pathetic but I like to use my own name in story and mc is my rpg self extension. That's how I feel about persona games, more so if the spinoff game has a focus on story, which it does according to above...

TheChaos0

You have six slots so you can have the option of using either a 2-3 or a 3-2 formation.
Rei and Zen as characters are pretty lame imo but I have them in my party because they have good skills.
I'm still playing it myself and yeah, it's a big game.
I beat the first dungeon on hard but then I changed to normal or else I'll never be done with the game. I've settled with Makoto, Yu, Yukari, Naoto and Rei/Zen. Naoto was invaluable in the second dungeon, most enemies are vulnerable to light or dark.
The game itself is very close to the EO games, I only played EO4 but dropped it eventually, didn't have the patience for it. Fortunately in PQ going back and forth between the hub and the dungeons is a lot easier. You can start from the last floor you visited, shortcuts are more generous and goho-m is cheap enough that you can always carry a few with you.

Damn...

EO games were really low on my priority list due to their length. But I can't pass on another Persona game! (P5 trailer did make me finish the game I was already playing A LOT faster). 3-2, 2-3 makes sense now, I did not think of it that way.

At the moment I've got Minato (I still prefer that name to Makoto!), Junpei, Akihiko, Aigis and Rei/Zen. When P4 characters become available, I might add Chie and/or Yukiko to the mix or I might not. I've seen enough of P4 characters in the past 6 years to last me a lifetime! AND there's still P4D to come out.

I think any inherent weaknesses can be covered by a sub persona. Speaking of which one aspect of Rei/Zen I don't like is the fact you can't really customise their skills.

arue

I'm so glad that P4D is PSTV supported. I just got a PSTV for $40 several days ago too.

I wasn't planning to buy this game, but looks like it's going to change now.

FluxWaveZ

I feel sorry for her, all that stuff have to be replaced with Persona 5 stuff soon.

I don't see why. She even has Persona 2 stuff in there. There's an angle to her room that we can't see that I'm sure she could fit all the P5 stuff in, heh.

Interesting:

After a very lengthy delay, Marvelous thought it'd be a great idea to release their IA/VT rhythm game... on June 25. Yup, same day as P4D. As the youth is fond to say... "LOL" :p

Not the best move, probably.

Style

Banned
I don't see why. She even has Persona 2 stuff in there. There's an angle to her room that we can't see that I'm sure she could fit all the P5 stuff in, heh.

Interesting:

Not the best move, probably.

Out with the old and in with the new. Phantom is taking over.

No Funky Student DLC, no purchase

Just kidding, I've imported the Crazy Value Pack on AmiAmi, and couldn't cancel my order even if I wanted to. :V

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I got tired with it as soon as they appeared. Don't really like touch controls in rhythm games, I don't really see a point in them.

Play DJ Max Technika Tune.

One of the best rhythm games on a console, portable or otherwise.

The arcade version is even better.

Dantis

It's gotten to the point where I just ignore what Atlus says is canonical. P4's timeline is a clusterfuck of nonsense and BS.

P4G is canon. For everything else I just stick my fingers in my ears and shout "LALALALAICANTHEARYOU".

Probably what I should have done right from the start.

Dantis

Story mode would have perhaps been more interesting if they'd fleshed it out beyond the Blazblue story format that Arena used.

Lunar15

Personally, I threw canon out the window when they announced two fighting games, an etrian oddessy game, and a dancing game. But then again, I make it a rule to not care about canon when it comes to spinoffs.

Life's too short, man.

FluxWaveZ

I would have purchased that PlayStation TV if Amazon.ca had the same deal going on. Ah well, I guess I can consider that money saved towards importing P4D.

Now I'm sure I'll enjoy P4D's story. It looks fun/silly enough to be entertaining, and with good production effort put behind it, despite being a rhythm game.

Personally, I threw canon out the window when they announced two fighting games, an etrian oddessy game, and a dancing game. But then again, I make it a rule to not care about canon when it comes to spinoffs.

Q16: Is the name of the main character Yu Narukami in this game?

A: Yes.
While it would've been convienient to be able to name the main character, we felt that him being called Yu Narukami made more sense.
Everyone who has played the games has known him as Yu Narukami, and we felt that would fit the main image of his character in P4D.

canon name confirmed!

Some days I wish Atlus would quit trying to attach every game to the canon somehow and just let it be a dream game.

It's a selling point.

Lunar15

Yeah, I was just about to follow up with "Canon is a Marketing Bulletpoint". Focusing on canon itself is really only something that sprang about because marketers needed to find ways to get people interested in stuff after a story has run its course. Really though, storytelling just doesn't work that way, and the concept of chasing after canon is pretty harmful to stories in general. It shifts the aim of storytelling from theme to plot, and that's just never a good idea.

Heck, I don't even know if the original writers for P4 even touched the spinoffs. Then again, I don't even know who the main writers for P4 even are.

FluxWaveZ

Heck, I don't even know if the original writers for P4 even touched the spinoffs. Then again, I don't even know who the main writers for P4 even are.

Scenario writer for Persona 4, Akira Kawasaki, was involved in Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. Yuichiro Tanaka, scenario writer for Persona 4, was involved in Persona 4 Arena.

They are absolutely awesome in the Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents series.
Play DJ Max Technika Tune.

One of the best rhythm games on a console, portable or otherwise.

The arcade version is even better.
Don't both of these use the touch screen only though? I meant (I should have phrased it better) having both touch and buttons input at the same time, like in the Project Diva game.
I still prefer buttons only, the buttons "feedback" makes me play better. Say, I loved Rock band Unplugged on the PSP; it's a shame there's no Vita version.

Nap1400

Don't both of these use the touch screen only though? I meant (I should have phrased it better) having both touch and buttons input at the same time, like in the Project Diva game.
I still prefer buttons only, the buttons "feedback" makes me play better. Say, I loved Rock band Unplugged on the PSP; it's a shame there's no Vita version.

Well I imagine they probably have to take into account the controls if they're making it for PSTV, which if I remember correctly doesn't really have a touch screen of some kind?

Dantis

Azusa Kido was the scenario and S Link lead on P4, whereas Tanaka was the lead writer on Arena. Tanaka was also the lead writer for P3, so that's why Arena's story is less like P4 and more like P3, I guess.

EDIT: I just went to check that what I said was actually true, and I forgot that Kobayashi wrote the actual scenario for Arena. He was previously the writer for the Trauma games.

EDIT 2: Okay, I just looked at the Ultimax credits for the first time, and it includes none of the normal writers from P-Studio. This explains so much.

Setsu00

Azusa Kido was the scenario and S Link lead on P4, whereas Tanaka was the lead writer on Arena. Tanaka was also the lead writer for P3, so that's why Arena's story is less like P4 and more like P3, I guess.

EDIT: I just went to check that what I said was actually true, and I forgot that Kobayashi wrote the actual scenario for Arena. He was previously the writer for the Trauma games.

Azusa Kido was also responsible for Q.

Well I imagine they probably have to take into account the controls if they're making it for PSTV, which if I remember correctly doesn't really have a touch screen of some kind?
It doesn't so I hope you'll just be able to disable it. That way everyone would be happy I'd say.

Meia

The Vita TV has had a bunch of sales for it here and there. It's gone down to like $79 regular at Best Buy(at least it had), then for one day it went down to $59(picked up one for my friend during that one).

Amazon one was funny because of how fast it sold. Now, if only I could get something to split hdmi and the audio, I'd be set with my setup(monitor I use for my main gaming has no speakers).

LX_Theo

Banned
I'm thinking about it all, and with how much attention the big three gets, its a darn shame the writers for the series don't get more attention.

Dantis

I'm thinking about it all, and with how much attention the big three gets, its a darn shame the writers for the series don't get more attention.

I'm... not sure that I agree, actually. Persona's writing is very good, but it's Hashino's, Meguro's and Soejima's direction that elevates it in my mind.

Like, if Kido and Tanaka left, I wouldn't be worried. If Soejima left, I would be concerned about how that would impact the series' future.

FluxWaveZ

Do the writers really deserve it more than the lead programmers or designers? I think the three are really the ones who give P Studio its current identity, and that's pretty much why they're the ones who get highlighted. They're very talented people (not to say the rest of the team isn't). There's some stuff here and there for the other members, like the Yuichiro Tanaka interview in the P4A art book.

Dantis

Do the writers really deserve it more than the lead programmers or designers? I think the three are really the ones who give P Studio its current identity, and that's pretty much why they're the ones who get highlighted. They're very talented people (not to say the rest of the team isn't). There's some stuff here and there for the other members, like the Yuichiro Tanaka interview in the P4A art book.

Pretty much. The three of them have a ton of influence over the parts of Persona that make it stand out. They also seem to all be on a similar wavelength, and work together exceptionally well. The way that Soejima's art and Meguro's music fit together is kind of incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom