• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

The scene in that screenshot takes place on Thursday, April 28th. Could be an excursion into the same dungeon but, again, the dates are all over the place so it's hard to tell too much from them right now.

Well, the initial trailer shows the same room as in the screenshot I linked, except it's 4/11, The protagonist is alone (as evident by the UI), and the enemy placement is different. In the trailer,. he zooms on by to the open doors with nothing in his way. In the aforementioned screenshot, the doors are closed, and an enemy is in the way.

We can't tell the date of the screenshot on the website. But there's the similar scene of them jumping over the chandeliers which shows a 4/25 date and a fully party on the website. This same shot in the trailer shows a 4/11 date and only one party member. Which suggests that the hallway screenshot is also on 4/25

This screenshot is interesting. It's similar to the area seen in the trailer, but all four party members are accounted for on the UI. Also the enemy placement is different. That one specific enemy was not there in the trailer.

My guess is: There are either multiple forays into this same dungeon (One on 4 /11 solo, and one on 4/25 with the group), or what we saw in the trailer was specifically for it.

Further speculation: Perhaps the enemy layouts are pre-set, but change each time depending on the day you enter the dungeon? Kind of like how the original Phantasy Star Online had pre-definined dungeon layouts, but changed up which one was in play each time you went in.

I wouldn't be too surprised if what we saw in the trailer was captured specifically for the purposes of the trailer and that the screenshot would be the actual game representation.

My theory would be that the trailer used placeholder stuff and the screen shots are accurate.

I think I've said this before, but the section of the trailer with the dates is running through day in the game, so I think they just set the date on all of them to be the same so as to emphasize that this is how a single day is structured.

Or, for an alternative suggestion: The part in the trailer where the MC is solo is his first attempt at an infiltration before the other party members join, which is why it's at an earlier date.

FluxWaveZ

We can't tell the date of the screenshot on the website. But there's the similar scene of them jumping over the chandeliers which shows a 4/25 date and a fully party on the website. This same shot in the trailer shows a 4/11 date and only one party member. Which suggests that the hallway screenshot is also on 4/25

No, all of the screenshots on the updated Persona 5 website are from Famitsu/Dengeki scans. That exact screenshot you're talking about definitely takes place on 4/28; I'm looking at the full thing right now.

Sophia

I mean, it could really go either way. Early trailiers for P3 and P4 had stuff that wasn't in the final game (Fuuka being the support on the monorail incident in P3, for example), but at the same time going into the dungeon multiple times was common in those two games as well.

I really want more details on the dungeon gameplay. :<

No, all of the screenshots on the updated Persona 5 website are from Famitsu/Dengeki scans. That exact screenshot you're talking about definitely takes place on 4/28; I'm looking at the full thing right now.

Right, I'm comparing those screenshots to the trailer, where the dates, enemy layouts, and dungeon layouts are different. Although it's nice to know the date is indeed 4/28 on that section.

Semi-related but random pointless observation, but the amount of yen the protagonist is carrying in the menu shots is different too by about 2000. He has 8,940 yen in the trailer, and 6,340 yen in the screenshot. I dunno why, but I find that amusing.

This screenshot is interesting. It's similar to the area seen in the trailer, but all four party members are accounted for on the UI. Also the enemy placement is different. That one specific enemy was not there in the trailer.

My guess is: There are either multiple forays into this same dungeon (One on 4 /11 solo, and one on 4/25 with the group), or what we saw in the trailer was specifically for it.

Further speculation: Perhaps the enemy layouts are pre-set, but change each time depending on the day you enter the dungeon? Kind of like how the original Phantasy Star Online had pre-definined dungeon layouts, but changed up which one was in play each time you went in.

The most likely scenario is that they used a dev build, and the dev build had the option to hide the HUD in-game. This way, they can show the sneak element of the game without UI elements getting in the way.

Interesting part about the dungeon dates in the scans: no two dungeon scans have the same date. There's one on the 20th, one on the 25th and one on the 28th. So if those are accurate then you still don't do the dungeon in one night.

Sophia

Interesting part about the dungeon dates in the scans: no two dungeon scans have the same date. There's one on the 20th, one on the 25th and one on the 28th. So if those are accurate then you still don't do the dungeon in one night.

Interesting, you're right.

So we have:
  • Shibuya Station on 4/11, as seen in the trailer.
  • Presumably Shibuya station on 4/7, but it's a different angle/area from the 4/11 screenshot. Also it's more packed.
  • Talking with Ryuji, Anne, and Morganna in the city on 4/11
  • Cafe scene with the four protagonists seemingly planning on 4/11. Note Ryuji's shirt being the same as in the scene in the city above above.
  • Classroom scene on 4/11 where the protagonist gets chalk thrown at them. Clean chalkboard.
  • Classroom scene on 4/15. Chalkboard has stuff on it now.
  • The three dungeon areas in the trailer, all of which seem to occur solo on 4/11 with modified layouts from later screenshots. These ares are: Below the Chandeliers, above them, and the hallway.
  • The Chandelier jumping on 4/25, which shows a similar/identical layout to 4/11 but with a party
  • The hallway, which is on 4/28 and has a different enemy layout from the 4/11 trailer. Also full party.
  • The roof top jumping, which occurs on 4/20 and was not seen in the initial gameplay trailer. Full party.

I think it's a safe bet to assume we're having multiple dungeon forays somehow. The question of if we enter the dungeon solo once, or if that's merely a trailer thing, is still up in the air.

The most likely scenario is that they used a dev build, and the dev build had the option to hide the HUD in-game. This way, they can show the sneak element of the game without UI elements getting in the way.

Not sure what you're referring to? The screenshots on the website are sometimes cropped. The only differences we've seen of the UI is the protagonist being solo in the trailer in dungeons and a full party in the later released screenshots.

This is what I was thinking, that segment of the trailer is basically a really brief look at the dungeons and how they've changed, so therefore they remove any excess HUD to put focus on the actual gameplay.

PK Gaming

What's the source of PK's avatar?

tumblr_n060p3NdcO1qis82bo10_500.jpg

by personasama

Make sure to give him lots of love!

I think a mechanic they should add to Persona 5 is the ability to skip school with a classmate who's an slink to spend extra time with them/develop their social link (or w/e they call it now). Would fit it well with the whole delinquent motif and give the player a bit more flexibility to do slinks. The trade off would be that skipping class means you miss out on opportunities to answer questions to increase social stats (assuming they return).

I don't really want to go through the game twice actually (too time consuming), so if there was 1 to pick out of both, should it be FES then? I get what you guys said about the AI now I usually don't scan so I can start doing that hehe.

Then, in my personal opinion, FES is the best version to play your first playthrough of Persona 3

PQ: this third dungeon had over stayed it's welcome. I want out.

Same. Been in there for almost a month. I can't muster the motivation to completely get through it, i blazed through the first and second, but i can't stand horror games in any way, and
FUCK those jump scares

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The third dungeon in persona q is the best. Amazing atmosphere (it's surprising to me how well they've created the horror vibe) and really fun puzzles.

Got an email from Amazon Japan saying that my copy of the P5 Persona magazine might be delayed... Hope it's not though.

Also have my P4DAN Vita preordered with them and will have Tenso forward it on to me. Double dipping for the LE version of the game as I ordered it of AmiAmi. June wil kill my wallet... &#128576;

FluxWaveZ

Got an email from Amazon Japan saying that my copy of the P5 Persona magazine might be delayed... Hope it's not though.

Yeah. Those who pre-ordered the magazine should have gotten the email about some sort of delay yesterday. Maybe it's related to the port strikes.

List of upcoming Persona stuff that have dates:
February 25 = Persona Magazine #February released
February 27 = PSC Episode 13 Release

March 5 = P3M#3 Trailer(?) (Full moon day)
March 11 = P3M#2 home release
March 11 = P4GA Art Book Release

April 4 = P3M#3 released

May 15 = Japan Game Music Festival II w/ Persona artists

June 25 = Persona 4: Dancing All Night Release
June 25 = Persona 5 special Blu-ray movie disc release with P4D

July 17 = Persona 4 Arena Ultimax at EVO 2015
I'm thinking we'll start getting Persona 4: Dancing All Night character trailers starting between mid-March or the start of April. There won't be as many characters as PQ or P4AU so, if it's going to be a weekly update like those games, they're going to be able to start uploading those videos closer to release in comparison.

Yeah. Those who pre-ordered the magazine should have gotten the email about some sort of delay yesterday. Maybe it's related to the port strikes.

List of upcoming Persona stuff that have dates:

I'm thinking we'll start getting Persona 4: Dancing All Night character trailers starting between mid-March or the start of April. There won't be as many characters as PQ or P4AU so, if it's going to be a weekly update like those games, they're going to be able to start uploading those videos closer to release in comparison.

Yeah, I got a delay email yesterday too.

I think that the website launch means that we're going to start getting Dancing trailers next week. The Persona Q website launched with the first weekly trailers: http://personacentral.com/persona-q-official-website-launched/, and the first charecter trailer for Ultimax was a week after the website launch, with another video uploaded with the website: https://twitter.com/p_kouhou/status/456642524904304640, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyL8YYZaiAo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFL51LWRpmo.

Plus Atlus need to put the Famitsu charecter info up soonish. I think they'll pad it out a bit with song trailers as well as character trailers though.

FluxWaveZ

I think that the website launch means that we're going to start getting Dancing trailers next week.

Oh right... that happened this week, huh. Man, it's been kind of a long week for me. You're right, though, I could definitely see regular P4D updates starting next week, now. Especially since:

Plus Atlus need to put the Famitsu charecter info up soonish. I think they'll pad it out a bit with song trailers as well as character trailers though.

You're right about them being able to avoid posting new character trailers every week by posting new music. Dance! on the music page on the site could suggest that other songs could be updated with their own videos.

Oh right... that happened this week, huh. Man, it's been kind of a long week for me. You're right, though, I could definitely see regular P4D updates starting next week, now. Especially since:

You're right about them being able to avoid posting new character trailers every week by posting new music. Dance! on the music page on the site could suggest that other songs could be updated with their own videos.

I doubt that we'll get full songs for all of them, but cut down clips seems possible.

Oh boy you are just going to love the fourth dungeon then.

I agree on this. On the fourth myself and so far the third was the one I have liked the most.

I just want it to end. I'm on floor 4 with
the annoying FOE that follows you around. The Juon type one. Went down a corridor bring followed by it when the baby one dropped in front. So I was surrounded. Had to waste a goho-m.

Argh!

Yeah, I'm hopeful they start the weekly videos next week for the reasons you mentioned. In addition to the character and song trailers, there's also the tutorial videos they already mentioned, to teach people how to play. So they definitely have enough material, if they plan to start weekly vids now.

Was it ever explained plot wise why the enemies changed from demons to shadows? I read that Persona 2 IS's PSP remake had an extra chapter that touched the subject but there's no translation anywhere.

Lusankya

Was it ever explained plot wise why the enemies changed from demons to shadows? I read that Persona 2 IS's PSP remake had an extra chapter that touched the subject but there's no translation anywhere.

They didn't change. In Persona 3 there never were any demon enemies to begin with.

Setsu00

They didn't change. In Persona 3 there never were any demon enemies to begin with.

The enemies in P1, P2IS and P2EP were demons. Shadows as regular enemies weren't a thing until Persona 3. P5 seems to be going back to the demons, but since Hashino apparently calls them Personas and not Demons, it's not quite clear what's going on.

You're referring to the Tatsuya scenario from Eternal Punishment Portable. There should be at least some kind of fan translation for this one, but I'm not sure whether it contains the answer you need.

I didn't get any email like that. When did you place your order?

Was a few weeks ago though I'm not terribly worried as Amazon Japan ships to me in 2 days (hooray for automatic expedited shipping since I live in the US I guess) so a delay of a few days isn't catastrophic.

Yeah, my Persona Monthly Magazine was delayed to the first week of March, RIP. ;__;7

I mean, I'm sure the information will be available online in some form within 24 hours of release, but it would still be nice to have a physical copy of the thing. The thirst for Persona 5 is real.

Setsu00

Yeah, my Persona Monthly Magazine was delayed to the first week of March, RIP. ;__;7

I mean, I'm sure the information will be available online in some form within 24 hours of release, but it would still be nice to have a physical copy of the thing. The thirst for Persona 5 is real.

Eh... I wouldn't be so sure about that. It took three months after all until we got the Hashino interview back in 2013.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I know I'm months late getting into P4AU, but have many of you guys beat that ridiculous lv 90 Elizabeth who suddenly comes out of nowhere at the end of the risky route in Golden Arena mode?

I've got her to awaken 3/5 times I've fought her so far, but she keeps spacing me, casting Diarhan and generally mashing me to death.

arue

Eh... I wouldn't be so sure about that. It took three months after all until we got the Hashino interview back in 2013.

Honestly I was surprised that there was an interview in the first place. Thanks to Pepsiman for making an effort to translate the interview.

There will be an interview for P4D in the February magazine right? I'd have no problem waiting for that.

Moltenix

Finished Persona 3 FES for the first time today. That was definitely 10 bucks well spent.

Will probably wait a bit before jumping into P4. Is the PS2 classic version on PS3 okay or am I going to need P4 Golden?

Sophia

Finished Persona 3 FES for the first time today. That was definitely 10 bucks well spent.

Will probably wait a bit before jumping into P4. Is the PS2 classic version on PS3 okay or am I going to need P4 Golden?

Vanilla P4 is fine. That being said, there's no reason not to get Golden unless you don't want to play it on a handheld.

Setsu00

Honestly I was surprised that there was an interview in the first place. Thanks to Pepsiman for making an effort to translate the interview.

There will be an interview for P4D in the February magazine right? I'd have no problem waiting for that.

The Persona Magazines are filled with little commentary by staff members, most notably Soejima who often comments on his newer designs. There was also a column by Natsuki Mamiya, but I have no idea what it was about. Most likely something about PxDN.

arue

The Persona Magazines are filled with little commentary by staff members, most notably Soejima who often comments on his newer designs. There was also a column by Natsuki Mamiya, but I have no idea what it was about. Most likely something about PxDN.

Oh I thought the Hashino interview was on the Persona Magazine. It was for Famitsu actually >_>

Forget what I said in the beginning.

Setsu00

That's what I thought in the beginning. Setsu's reply threw me off and I thought it only had the commentary from Soejima and Natsuki Mamiya.

Sorry :(. I think almost everyone associated with Persona 3 and 4 has at least one interview or comment in one of the Persona magazines, but Soejima's comments and Mamiya's column are the two segments that I remember the most.

King Fost

Neo Member
Vanilla P4 is fine. That being said, there's no reason not to get Golden unless you don't want to play it on a handheld.

The main advantage of Vanilla over Golden is difficulty. If challenge is important to him, getting Vanilla might be a better idea imo.

Vanilla's battle system is so much better balanced than Golden's that it's not even funny. Golden added a lot of good things but the unbalanced nonsense they added to an already easy battle system and dungeon crawling were not one of them. The latter half of the game especially completely skews the time management system entirely to the point that it's basically not possible to finish a dungeon in a single go unless you actively try to screw yourself up. Defeats the entire purpose of dungeon time limits and deciding between S.Linking and dungeon crawling.

Like, there is no reason Naoto should have full SP at the last floor of
Heaven
on a single full run through of the dungeon for the first time and not using a single recovery item, but Golden seems absolutely terrified of hurting the player in any meaningful way.

"Oops, these enemies ambushed me, and inflicted the entire party with statuses! How am I going to get out of this one--oh, wait, Rise just healed the entire team. Thanks, Rise, that almost got interesting."

Meia

Even in vanilla I always did dungeons in one day, it was never a hard thing to do. Could do most of Tartarus that way too.

Early on P4 is hard to do this, but with the soda from the machines it's manageable(easier of course in Golden). Once you get the fox you should never be spending more than you earn healing SP anyway. :p

Biggest problems with the difficulty are the shuffle time system being easier/faaaaaaar more rewarding, and Rise being OP when you do her social link. I'd throw in the stuff they added to All out Attacks(follow ups with pairs, rise helping), but AoA damage was reduced in golden baseline to begin with, so that wasn't as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom