• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubedo

I just really hope social links are more than just a straight progression with a specific 10 scenes or whatever that you just go through and that's it.

I'd like to see them work more organically like a real relationship. Have it be more like a web of paths your choices within those scenes can take you to. For example, depending on what you say and do in rank 2 of a social link greatly changes what the scene is for rank 3 and so on.

Also, incorporating them more into the actua story would be cool.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think Social Links are even going to really work the way we know them from Persona 3 and Persona 4, in Persona 5. If they're even called "Social Links", in the end, and "Cooperation" isn't the all-encompassing term that replaces it.

Drop

Today since I finally have a lot of time to dedicate to games again, I loaded my p3fes savefile.
When I reloaded it, it was October 20th, I'm currently on November 9th and I'm loving the game like it was the first time, in a certain way it is the first time since I've only beaten p3p, but really, I'm having too much fun.

My objective when starting this playthrough, was to do all of Elizabeth's requests, and see how many social links I can max without a guide, I'll let you guys know what the results are at the end.

Fun fact, my current playtime is 87 hours, I must have spent a lot of time in the velvet room.

Nimby

Banned
I don't think Social Links are even going to really work the way we know them from Persona 3 and Persona 4, in Persona 5. If they're even called "Social Links", in the end, and "Cooperation" isn't the all-encompassing term that replaces it.

I do hope you are right. I mean I'm fine with Social Links the way they are, but I'd much prefer P5 distance itself as much as possible from P3 and P4.

Weiss

Banned

I just have a really hard time that they'd lessen the focus on Social Links, let alone drop them. They're practically emblematic to Persona in the last few years.

I just have a really hard time that they'd lessen the focus on Social Links, let alone drop them. They're practically emblematic to Persona in the last few years.

I don't think that anyone's saying they're going to drop the key components of social links, like the character interactions, or their gameplay benefits. Just that the system is going to be be changed enough to warrant a new name. So instead of social links as we know them again, it'd be a spiritual successor of sorts to social links.

Can you help me out GAF?

I just finished P4G and now I'm moving on to P3 (then P2:IS/EP and P1). Should I play FES, or FeMC P3P? I'm really torn between which 2 to play, but I've already been playing FES (not that far) and the AI for that game is really bad. I only say FeMC P3P because I gave the OST a listen and I feel it sounds better, but it's a shame I can't be a lesbo and romance Mitsuru.

Lusankya

but I've already been playing FES (not that far) and the AI for that game is really bad.

They'll actually do what they're supposed to do 99% of the time IF you scan the enemies beforehand. Scanning is incredibly important and will enhance the AI's behavior even if the result was just "???" (e.g. for the bosses). You also have to change the tactics from the default behavior according to the situation. Most of the time you want them to knock down opponent after opponent.

Can you help me out GAF?

I just finished P4G and now I'm moving on to P3 (then P2:IS/EP and P1). Should I play FES, or FeMC P3P? I'm really torn between which 2 to play, but I've already been playing FES (not that far) and the AI for that game is really bad. I only say FeMC P3P because I gave the OST a listen and I feel it sounds better, but it's a shame I can't be a lesbo and romance Mitsuru.

Once you grasp how the AI works, it's not hard to manipulate them. I think the best way to play on a first playthough is FES, then P3P for FeMC, P4's combat system, and full party control after you beat it the first time. The overworld and 3D visuals make the game much more appealing, makes certain scenes much more understandable when you are in the environment and not looking at a visual-novel backdrop, and for the immersion. If it weren't for the 3D visuals, i wouldn't have projected myself into the P3MC as much as i did on my first playthrough

Thoraxes

Damn, the MC Persona looks awesome.

s06_chara2riu5r.png

Jintor

Persona 4 The Golden Animation episode 6

So this Adachi episode:

It's kind of good and bad, ey? Like, it's an insight into Adachi's mind, kind of. But the thing is that Adachi's basically just a psychopath, so it's not really much of an insight other than he's creepy raper guy. Like... that's interesting in a sense... but it's not really that interesting either, cos he's just... evil. He starts off as just a basic slightly incompetent asshole who kind of has to deal with a shitty situation, but the second he realises his power, he basically goes nuts. And also inexplicably becomes really competent at being a creepy raper guy.

The stuff about him feeling lonely is the most interesting part, but it's not really, in a sense, about building his character; it's more about just showing that he's a humongeous asshole. I feel like they always did a poor job of writing Adachi; first in P4, he's too hidden until he's all "BITCHES AND WHORES"; they struck a slightly better balance in P4G because of his link, but in this, he's maybe just a bit too blatant an asshole to really feel much for or about.

Still, it's probably the best The Golden Animation's been so far, so it's got that going for it, right?

FluxWaveZ

Persona 4 The Golden Animation episode 6

Still, it's probably the best The Golden Animation's been so far, so it's got that going for it, right?

I wrote a (surprisingly long) blog post about this episode. I thought the
personality dichotomy
was handled well in the original game, and that episode was practically the only one I really enjoyed from P4GA. (Persona 4 spoilers)

Here's my translation of the first text box from the updated site:

"What is Persona?

The Persona series takes place in modern day Japan, where you play as a group of high school students who awaken to their Persona ability. After a mysterious event occurs, these characters start their investigations into what has caused the mysterious events in each game. The series has seen TV anime adaptions, movie adaptions, live concerts, manga, and other media. Every Persona takes the form of a 'demon-like' creature. The Persona series is about finding the other self within you, and learning how to change parts of yourself for the better. In the series, the cast uses their Persona to face difficult trials and find their way throughout the world."

Not a very literal translation. I hope it's good.

Jintor

I wrote a (surprisingly long) blog post about this episode. I thought the
personality dichotomy
was handled well in the original game, and that episode was practically the only one I really enjoyed from P4GA. (Persona 4 spoilers)

The main problem I have with the episode is
his personality dichotomy isn't really elaborated on in any meaningful sense. It's shown that he has one, sure, and it shows the effects it has on his life as such. He's the kind of person who rejects advances of friendship and can't see the good in things. The way it's shown, that's good, that's skillful. The stuff about him repeatedly being 'betrayed' (god he seems almost like a MRA huh? I bet if Golden had been written in the anglosphere he'd be going on about SJWs), that's thematically great.

But it's not really... elaborated on. There's no tragedy to him and no interest to him because it's not really possible to garner sympathy or empathy for him because the second he sticks his hand in the TV he goes right into creepy raper mode and basically turns back into a cartoon. It's necessary obviously to kickstart the rest of P4, but there's no - idea of regret, no idea of impulsiveness, all the stuff that makes Adachi interesting that could exist when you didn't know what was going on or what was really going through his mind or his situation. When it was a vague cloud of "Oh, Adachi got fucked over in the big city so now he's out here and got a little loopy", there was room to imagine a human being there. But actually showing a lot of it in this manner, at least, kind of paints him just as a cartoon villain. And that's kind of disappointing.

You're right though, it's far better than basically every episode before it. Not saying much tho

Weiss

Banned
So the first heist (presumably, anyway. It's the same one from the trailer) takes place on 4/25, and all four characters will be present for it. Looks like P5 won't have the characters follow you through the dungeons.

So the first heist (presumably, anyway. It's the same one from the trailer) takes place on 4/25, and all four characters will be present for it. Looks like P5 won't have the characters follow you through the dungeons.
the party list though only shows MC

Its possible they still follow you and just arent present there. Could always do something where MC goes in alone then comes back later with a crew, or he meets them inside

So I've played through P4G all the way up till the end of Yukiko's arc.

Obviously the story and everything is still the same as it was from P4, but even at this early parts, I'm kinda surprised by how much extra stuff they've added to the base game, and it's just the first month.

And it's a bit harder than I remember, though that may be because I chose to be a cheapskate and use golf clubs and wrenches (didn't buy any equipment) for Shadow Yukiko.

FluxWaveZ

What about Sigenori Soejima? :p

That's pretty good, too.

The dates are pretty much all over the place in the screenshots (the pic of the P5MC waiting in the subway takes place on April 7th), so the events may not necessarily take place on the days indicated. Or they do, but the events can also take place on other days. Can't really be sure of them right now.

Also, not sure what this is or if this is even new:
Something about P3M#3 and advance tickets? Anyways, it's a portrait of the movie. (Source)

kiyoaki

Works for me in Chrome.

It's quite resource heavy I guess, if you're using mobile.
Not using mobile, but I've now got it to load in Firefox. It looks good indeed!

Some liberal/awkward translations from the snippets next to the screenshots because I feel like it. Feel free to correct my English or my understanding of the original Japanese:

アートワークそのままに動きまわるキャラクター"Characters move around [looking] just like [in] their artwork"

ポップ&スタイリッシュなGUI - "Pop-like & stylish GUI"

ハードの性能を余すところなく発揮させたド派手なバトル - "Super-flashy battles that make full use of hardware capabilities"

怪盗団主人子達を待ち受ける多彩な仕掛けのダンジョン - "Dungeons full of various challenges await the protagonists on the phantom thief team"

新しいペルソナサウンドが没入感を盛り上げる - "The new Persona sound will bring to a climax your feeling of immersion "

Then the longer text towards the end of the page:
昼間はごく普通の都会的な高校生活を送る少年たち。
そんな彼が見せる、謎の“怪盗”姿。
彼らは何者なのか?どんな目的で、なぜあのような格好をしているのか?
どうして、追われているのか--。
若者たちの成長を描いてきた「ジュブナイル」に、
RPG作品では極めて珍しい「ピカレスクロマン」作品の
刺激的な魅力を加えた、まったく新しいRPG

At day, they're just youths leading the lives of normal urban high-school students. This guy displays his mysterious "phantom thief" form.*
Who are they? Why, to what end are they dressed like that?
Why are they being chased?
A wholly new RPG that adds the stimulating charm of "picaresque romance" works, so rare among RPG games, to the "juvenile" [genre] that depicts the growth of these youths.

* Anybody else think that そんな彼 should read (or in any case here means the same as) そんな彼ら? It seems the subject here should be "they", not "he"/"this guy"

Maybe I'll translate the rest later.

kiyoaki

And the rest of the new P5 information (not really) on the official site:

主人公は高校生の少年!
プレイヤーの分身となる、本作の主人公。
The protagonist is a high-school boy!
This game's protagonist, who is the player's other self.
A boy in the second year of high school who moved to the capital in spring and got transfered to an urban school. Because of a certain incident, he awakens as a persona user. He comes to live in a café on the outskirts of town that is the house of a friend of his parents, and to lead the life of an urban high-school student.
At first sight, our protagonist looks gentle, but in his "phantom thief" form, this impression appears to be considerably different. Why is he in this form? What's the reason for this, and what is he after?

主人公初期ペルソナ、「アルセーヌ」。
The starting persona of the protagonist, Arsène.
His mask-like face and his huge dark wings are characteristic.
Speaking of Arsène, we believe that many people will picture that famous phantom thief, Arsène Lupin - but what exactly is the origin of this persona, what powers does it hide?

居場所をなくした高校生たちが繰り広げる、痛快な冒険と成長の物語。
A thrilling tale of adventure and growth, unrolled by high school students that have lost the place(s) they belonged to. At the "Private Shuujin Academy High School" the boy protagonist visits, he comes to encounter many comrades with strong individual personalities and points of attraction. His newly beginning high-school life is full of various events! They seem to begin a new school life as perfectly ordinary high-school students of the kind you could find anywhere.
But soon they, who because of a certain incident have acquired their personas - the power of their minds - give rise to incidents that startle society.
A wholly new tale, woven by new characters, that begins in a new big city setting.

kiyoaki

I really hope we get a social link with the most obnoxious hipster barista.
I dunno, I think the café doesn't look that hip in the screenshot.

I wonder where it will be located, since "outskirts" is such a fluid term in the context of the greater Tokyo area. Perhaps somewhere along the Chuuou line like Koganei, or perhaps Shimo-Kitazawa (much bigger hipster potential there).

Once you grasp how the AI works, it's not hard to manipulate them. I think the best way to play on a first playthough is FES, then P3P for FeMC, P4's combat system, and full party control after you beat it the first time. The overworld and 3D visuals make the game much more appealing, makes certain scenes much more understandable when you are in the environment and not looking at a visual-novel backdrop, and for the immersion. If it weren't for the 3D visuals, i wouldn't have projected myself into the P3MC as much as i did on my first playthrough

They'll actually do what they're supposed to do 99% of the time IF you scan the enemies beforehand. Scanning is incredibly important and will enhance the AI's behavior even if the result was just "???" (e.g. for the bosses). You also have to change the tactics from the default behavior according to the situation. Most of the time you want them to knock down opponent after opponent.

I don't really want to go through the game twice actually (too time consuming), so if there was 1 to pick out of both, should it be FES then? I get what you guys said about the AI now I usually don't scan so I can start doing that hehe.

Weiss

Banned
the party list though only shows MC

Its possible they still follow you and just arent present there. Could always do something where MC goes in alone then comes back later with a crew, or he meets them inside

Check the pics where he's jumping from the chandaliers or sneaking around a Shadow. The UI displays all four characters, but only the main character is shown.

Goddamn that site is stylish! Scrolling down is way more fun than it has any right to be, haha.

Thanks for the translation kiyoaki! This part in particular caught my eye:

主人公初期ペルソナ、「アルセーヌ」。
The starting persona of the protagonist, Arsène.
His mask-like face and his huge dark wings are characteristic.
Speaking of Arsène, we believe that many people will picture that famous phantom thief, Arsène Lupin - but what exactly is the origin of this persona, what powers does it hide?

The bolded section makes me wonder if there's something special about Arsene, either from a mythos perspective or a gameplay one. Is Arsene not actually based on Arsene Lupin, specifically the Arsene Lupin that we know? Is Arsene going to be more than just some early fusion fodder, like some people on GAF have speculated? I dunno, but that quote stuck out to me.

Sophia

This screenshot is interesting. It's similar to the area seen in the trailer, but all four party members are accounted for on the UI. Also the enemy placement is different. That one specific enemy was not there in the trailer.

My guess is: There are either multiple forays into this same dungeon (One on 4 /11 solo, and one on 4/25 with the group), or what we saw in the trailer was specifically for it.

Further speculation: Perhaps the enemy layouts are pre-set, but change each time depending on the day you enter the dungeon? Kind of like how the original Phantasy Star Online had pre-definined dungeon layouts, but changed up which one was in play each time you went in.

FluxWaveZ

This screenshot is interesting. It's similar to the area seen in the trailer, but all four party members are accounted for on the UI. Also the enemy placement is different. That one specific enemy was not there in the trailer.

My guess is: There are either multiple forays into this same dungeon (One on 4 /11 solo, and one on 4/25 with the group), or what we saw in the trailer was specifically for it.

The scene in that screenshot takes place on Thursday, April 28th. Could be an excursion into the same dungeon but, again, the dates are all over the place so it's hard to tell too much from them right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom