• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even in vanilla I always did dungeons in one day, it was never a hard thing to do. Could do most of Tartarus that way too.

Early on P4 is hard to do this, but with the soda from the machines it's manageable(easier of course in Golden). Once you get the fox you should never be spending more than you earn healing SP anyway. :p

Biggest problems with the difficulty are the shuffle time system being easier/faaaaaaar more rewarding, and Rise being OP when you do her social link. I'd throw in the stuff they added to All out Attacks(follow ups with pairs, rise helping), but AoA damage was reduced in golden baseline to begin with, so that wasn't as bad.

Yeah the changes to shuffle time in the early game do far more to make Golden hilariously easy compared to Vanilla. Even the ability to reset chest by going between floors doesn't have the same impact as it's only really useful when you only have access to Yukiko's castle.

Also there are people who DON'T clear dungeons in P3 or P4 in one day? In both P3FES and P4V these were fairly easy tasks the only remotely challenging one was P4V's Yukiko's castle.

Murray97

I've been playing Persona 3 FES and although I'm not really far in I really fucking hate Junpei, hes so damn annoying. Please tell me he gets less annoying?

Dawg

Is it bad that I like female Kanji?

2010-10-24-337790.png

I've been playing Persona 3 FES and although I'm not really far in I really fucking hate Junpei, hes so damn annoying. Please tell me he gets less annoying?

Depends on why you hate him I guess. He does go through some fantastic and believable development and is one of the best characters in the series because of it, I'd say it's possible your opinion of him could change.

Makes me wonder how the P5 crew will be handled in that respect.

Naruto-kun looks like he would be cool and easygoing with you from the start while Junko-san would be more hard, probably the one who would stop you and your buddy from doing stupid things. Morgana looks like your pet that doesn't care much about you. lol

What I like about junpei is that he doesn't want to kiss your ass immediately.

When he does make the turn it doesn't even feel like ass kissing though, it ends up coming across as genuine respect, he knows you're the one who will get stuff done and he's going to support you no matter what. It's what makes me interested to see the P5 group dynamic, P3's group felt more like work colleagues who over the course of the game become friends whereas the P4 group is just best friends immediately, both of these worked and I enjoyed the different dynamic of the two groups so I hope P5 is something equally great.

Rubedo

What I like about junpei is that he doesn't want to kiss your ass immediately.

Almost none of SEES kisses your ass at first. At the start, Akihiko is kind of distant, Mitsuru acts way more like a leader than friend, Junpei does his I Wanna Be The Hero thing, and Yukari acts pretty stuck up at first.

Meia

When he does make the turn it doesn't even feel like ass kissing though, it ends up coming across as genuine respect, he knows you're the one who will get stuff done and he's going to support you no matter what. It's what makes me interested to see the P5 group dynamic, P3's group felt more like work colleagues who over the course of the game become friends whereas the P4 group is just best friends immediately, both of these worked and I enjoyed the different dynamic of the two groups so I hope P5 is something equally great.

Well, with Persona 4, you literally start interacting with party members by saving their lives, as well as literally seeing the worst of their personalities and saying you're ok with them. It's not too surprising to have them be that friendly with each other. It also helps that you see them before they join the IT, and their attitudes are very different than what they're like after.

Persona 3's cast character growth happens over the course of the entire game, while Persona 4's cast character growth happens the second they join the party. We're, for the most part, getting control of the characters when they're already at the end of their respective journeys, while P3 goes all the way throughout. I really dug what they did with Junpei because of it, even though the first time through I also didn't care much for him. It's kind of weird that with P3, they tell you things over the course of the long story, but you have to put some thought into why people behave how they do. With P4(for the already mentioned reasons), you pretty much know about them from the beginning(with their social links expanding on those themes).

I really want to see what route Persona 5 goes. It *looks* like he gets transferred, but does he meet everyone beforehand and come with to keep a gang together, or does one kind of form during that first week? If this is going to be a group doing heists, that also is a different feel than what P3/P4 went for, with a more in-between thing.

Murray97

Alright its good to hear that Junpei goes through some good character development. Hopefully I'll stop hating him at that point.

I didn't really like Teddie at first in P4 but he did start to grow on me by the end. So hopefully the same goes for Junpei.

LiK

Took me 2 1/2 hours to get 5 Thick Hides for that stupid sidequest. RNG pls

Also, hi guys. I finally joined this thread.

Alright its good to hear that Junpei goes through some good character development. Hopefully I'll stop hating him at that point.

I didn't really like Teddie at first in P4 but he did start to grow on me by the end. So hopefully the same goes for Junpei.

Junpei develops into the best character in the series IMO, but you need to be sure to at least watch videos of his P3P S. Link and his scenes in The Answer to fully understand what makes him tick.

Yeah, wait a bit before you settle on your opinion, he does change

Junpei develops into the best character in the series IMO, but you need to be sure to at least watch videos of his P3P S. Link and his scenes in The Answer to fully understand what makes him tick.

Also this, i LOVE his P3P social link

Sophia

Almost none of SEES kisses your ass at first. At the start, Akihiko is kind of distant, Mitsuru acts way more like a leader than friend, Junpei does his I Wanna Be The Hero thing, and Yukari acts pretty stuck up at first.

Yeah that's pretty much a Persona 4 thing, honestly. Which makes sense in the context of P4's story because it uses the fire-forged friends trope to it's fullest, even for non party members.

In contrast, nobody really kisses your ass early on in P3.

Let us just say that there is a reason Junpei's hat was a pre-order bonus for Persona 3 Portable.

Zebetite

Banned

...'sup dude? *ksh-kuh-ksh, ksh-kuh-ksh, ksh-kuh-kuh*

Junpei is a character who goes through a lot of phases throughout the game. Sometimes he's annoying-- just like real people! This isn't Persona 4, everybody isn't gonna be eating outta the palm of your hand like those Inaba hillbillies!

Get used the idea that sometimes your party members are going to be uneasy around one another-- and you're no exception. It's going to be happening a lot.

Downloaded the free songs along with purchasing the P4A story dlc and 3 dlc characters. I guess it's time to jump into the world of Persona 4 ARENA

...'sup dude? *ksh-kuh-ksh, ksh-kuh-ksh, ksh-kuh-kuh*

Junpei is a character who goes through a lot of phases throughout the game. Sometimes he's annoying-- just like real people! This isn't Persona 4, everybody isn't gonna be eating outta the palm of your hand like those Inaba hillbillies!

Get used the idea that sometimes your party members are going to be uneasy around one another-- and you're no exception. It's going to be happening a lot.

Yeah, going from P3 to P4 was weird. Suddenly going to a group where everyone's always happy and interacting with eachother completely threw me off. Maybe that's why i like P3's cast more

Sweet. I try to keep my gaming tendencies on the down low from my parents. Don't know why...

loss-of-death-suicide-in-videogames-20100405003147729.jpg

oh yeah

Nice!

Same.
I don't care to hide my gaming and such interests from my parents and others... I just don't think they'd care. Because they don't.
My parents know I like games but I almost never tell them about the actual games I play because a) it always sounds stupid and b) they don't care.

Same goes with most of the people I know too.
Happy birthday!

(I am very jealous of you right now...)

I don't really "hide" anything, but i think my parents would have thought i was broken if they saw how hard i cried during P3 :/ It's more that they don't really care

Although, they might freak out if they saw the opening cutscene of P3/ beginning of the P3 movie with Yukari holding an evoker to her head on my monitor...
how old are you that your parents would give a shit that you're watching something that might deal with suicidal themes though?

or is it more that it's a videogame and videogames supposedly don't deal with that stuff
Those are beautiful, happy birthday!

My parents don't care either, they only do near my birthday and christmas cause they don't know what to get me. The only series they know I'm into is Pokemon, but that's because it's the only one I've been playing since I was 6.
Thanks for the birthday wishes! Honestly I'm kinda the opposite about my parents haha Most of the time I'm playing or waiting for/anticipating a game I really like, I always make then watch trailers or gameplay of it, Most of the times they're like "oh okay, cool, can I go?" or make jokes about it :p

Hmm, about the evokers, well most of the things I show them about Persona are Q and the Arena games where the cast don't use them that much or it's pretty quick when they do so they don't really notice them or I tell them not to worry; and even then I'm sure they wouldn't mind that much since they know I'm not into that kind of stuff and I never express suicidal/creepy/dark thoughts. However, I would definitely keep them from watching some of the crappy fanservice scenes like Shadow Yukiko's scene, ugh.

Also I have been playing AA1 and...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
"Still not canon"

How bad is it...? Enough to warrant a playthrough pointless for the first time?

I mean if you want the best social links in p3 you should play as the FeMC.

But yeah, might as well go through it normally for the first time. FeMC is pretty fleshed out so another play through is warranted.

PK Gaming

"Still not canon"

For what it's worth, FeMC's scenario was my first experience with P3 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Getting to play as a girl in an RPG that recognizes you as such? I couldn't pass it up, especially after playing as P4G. And it was a good experience too. I suppose that FES is ideal for a first playthrough, you don't lose that muchh from passing up FES. There are some definite advantages to going with P3P as well. Let's be real here; P3 is a 60-70 hour game, and there's no way you'll jump right into FeMC's scenario immediately after beating MaMC's scenario.

For what it's worth, FeMC's scenario was my first experience with P3 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Getting to play as a girl in an RPG that recognizes you as such? I couldn't pass it up, especially after playing as P4G. And it was a good experience too. I suppose that FES is ideal for a first playthrough, you don't lose that muchh from passing up FES. There are some definite advantages to going with P3P as well. Let's be real here; P3 is a 60-70 hour game, and there's no way you'll jump right into FeMC's scenario immediately after beating MaMC's scenario.

You underestimate certain people's (me) love for P3. I did go from P3 FES to P3P for FeMC a week after i beat P3 FES

FemC Is non canon in the sense that she never shows up in any game outside of her home game, and most mentions of the Protagonist make it clear that they're talking about the male version. And the only adaptation with her is Weird Masquerade, right? (If that's even an adaptation and not a side-plot type thing) A lot of the things in her exclusive social links do show up elsewhere, though.

Zebetite

Banned
"Still not canon"

The problems with using P3P for a first playthrough have more to do with the presentation aspects of P3P itself than the FeMC route specifically. There's certainly a lot of material in FeMC's social links with SEES that is super-worth knowing, and her other exclusive links are pretty good all around.

There's just a lot less charm and/or dramatic weight to the cutscenes without them having, y'know, character models.

Edit: Also, the music they added for FeMC is really good but kinda breaks up the great sense of cohesion Persona 3's soundtrack has. Small complaint, but hey.

I will agree, that FeMC is worth a second playthrough. I'm male and still REALLY enjoyed FeMC social links (Social link spoiler
I LOVED Shinji's social link, i may be slightly gay for him now, and Junpei's friendship with you and slight affection for you is adorable
), and even found that FeMC's personality better reflected mine than P3MC's. Although i found FeMC enjoyable, i projected myself into P3MC too much in P3 FES to simply discard him. I feel like a part of him, if you know what i mean.

My thoughts exactly, and I want to get into the P1/P2 after, with enough time to clear those before P5 comes out. I'm really thinking of just doing a FemC playthrough and avoiding FES. I noticed P3P is very P4ish too, with its all out attacks and functionality. It's just a shame that it doesn't have anime lol.

My thoughts exactly, and I want to get into the P1/P2 after, with enough time to clear those before P5 comes out. I'm really thinking of just doing a FemC playthrough and avoiding FES. I noticed P3P is very P4ish too, with its all out attacks and functionality. It's just a shame that it doesn't have anime lol.

Eh, i still think FES is the best because of presentation. It's hard to put the same emotion of events and display the severity of events in a visual novel style. You see everyone together, everything is animated, you can actually see some scenes played out instead of having to read dialogue boxes instead of watching the scene, etc, in FES. Several P3P events i know i would not have understood unless i actually saw them being played out in 3D and not in a visual novel style

Jintor

I think FemC is great because the way I played her I kind of projected a genki girl aspect on to her, which I found hilarious compared to P3's assumed asshole/loner protag

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think the way the dialogue choices are written also reflects her being more positive and energetic than the original.

Kazzy

There is a clear and defined progression of his character, but you should probably just make your own mind up with him. Expectations are there to be confounded - the worst that could happen, is that you grow to love him!

Never got the fervour for him, though.

Junpei's a good character but an overrated one. Yukari is the stand out character in P3's cast and she's honestly probably the best character between both P3 and P4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom