• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setsu00

Not even close.

I am still yet to see ANY persona game on general sale in my town.

Granted i live in the uk but still.

It's getting better where I live. I wanted to buy P4 when it first came out in 2009 in Europe, but it wasn't available in any local store and it was constantly sold out online. Nowadays, I can actually walk into a shop and buy those games.

headofbowl

Neo Member
Not even close.

Edit: this is to the ff thing, not the sales numbers

I managed to get Persona 4 when it first came out in store and I live by Liverpool, albeit there was only one copy... I remember there being 3 copies of P3fes in store when it was released too, so probably depends on region?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
When I first bought persona 4 it was the only copy at the store.

Came with the soundtrack too.

Best SMT get was finding nocturne in the used section though.

Drop

What...

Guess that reminds me. Made this masterpiece when testing out subbing software.
Even Narukami can't understand the logic behind the spin-offs.

Living with determination -mellow velvet mix- from P3M3 is so good :O

This song always makes me kind of sad. I really like the remix. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vQyBnmBi0o&spfreload=10

HYPE for P3M2 THROUGH THE ROOF NOW.
Too many feelings, how can they still make one song better than the other?
Now I'm expecting the inevitable kimi no kioku remix for movie 4...

Not even close.

Edit: this is to the ff thing, not the sales numbers

Nope, P4G seems like it might be one of the better selling recent persona games and I think last we heard it shipped 700k.

That's surprising :| considering how much Japanese guys like high school setting I thought it'd sell something like monster hunter.

DNAbro

If it's releasing in the latter half the year 1 million seems kind of crazy.

I feel like anything less than a million(world wide) would be a huge disappointment to atlus. That's just my guess though. I am excited to see how much the series has actually grown.

EDIT: Do we have sales of Ni No Kuni? I'm curious to compare.

Living with determination -mellow velvet mix- from P3M3 is so good :O

This song always makes me kind of sad. I really like the remix. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vQyBnmBi0o&spfreload=10

HYPE for P3M2 THROUGH THE ROOF NOW.

this is REALLY good.

I feel like anything less than a million(world wide) would be a huge disappointment to atlus. That's just my guess though. I am excited to see how much the series has actually grown.
They're going to hit 1 million sold WW, I have zero doubts they'll do that. I just question if they can hit 1 million by the end of 2015, even then I think that could happen if things align properly.

i'm wondering why they didn't port P4G to PS4 as well. Vita sales aren't that great.
700k shipped is pretty damn good for a niche jrpg series on the vita. I can't imagine actual sales were too far behind that number either, I'd guess P4G was very successful for Atlus.

LiK

700k shipped is pretty damn good for a niche jrpg series on the vita. I can't imagine actual sales were too far behind that number either, I'd guess P4G was very successful for Atlus.

a lot of people didn't play it cuz they didn't have a Vita. altho the cheaper PSTV alleviates that issue.

a lot of people didn't play it cuz they didn't have a Vita. altho the cheaper PSTV alleviates that issue.
Sure but they can't spend time continually porting old games, especially if P4G is already a definitive version. You can play P4 on a ps2 and ps3 as well as golden on the vita and playstation tv, if people want to play it they've likely had the opportunity.

LiK

Sure but they can't spend time continually porting old games, especially if P4G is already a definitive version. You can play P4 on a ps2 and ps3 as well as golden on the vita and playstation tv, if people want to play it they've likely had the opportunity.

P4 vanilla sucks compared to Golden, imho. I hope they reconsider and port it over to PS4 just to get more people to play it.

P4 vanilla sucks compared to Golden, imho. I hope they reconsider and port it over to PS4 just to get more people to play it.
I can understand wanting more people to play it but I think that there are enough ways to do so, be it Vanilla or Golden as both are fantastic. I'd rather they moved on and if they had to port something again I'd rather they make a definitive version of P3.

LiK

I can understand wanting more people to play it but I think that there are enough ways to do so, be it Vanilla or Golden as both are fantastic. I'd rather they moved on and if they had to port something again I'd rather they make a definitive version of P3.

P3 Blueden and P4 Golden collection for PS4!

FluxWaveZ

That 700k P4G number comes from December 4th, 2013, and the last official one we had heard was that 350k copies were shipped just in Japan, on April 8, 2014. Over time, with sales boosts like it had during the start of P4GA, or the "the Best" re-release, and simply given the period of a year, I wouldn't be surprised if P4G has sold over a million copies worldwide. I think that would be the first Persona game to achieve that on its own.

They're going to hit 1 million sold WW, I have zero doubts they'll do that. I just question if they can hit 1 million by the end of 2015, even then I think that could happen if things align properly.

Yeah, 1 million worldwide is a given, sooner than later, but by the end of 2015 is the question. I would say the prospect becomes much less likely if the game releases after August/September in either Japan or NA.

Really looking forward to Persona 5 to truly show how the series has grown since its last mainline release, through its sales.

LiK

That 700k P4G number comes from December 4th, 2013, and the last official one we had heard was that 350k copies were shipped just in Japan, on April 8, 2014. Over time, with sales boosts like it had during the start of P4GA, or the "the Best" re-release, and simply given the period of a year, I wouldn't be surprised if P4G has sold over a million copies worldwide. I think that would be the first Persona game to achieve that on its own.

Yeah, 1 million worldwide is a given, sooner than later, but by the end of 2015 is the question. I would say the prospect becomes much less likely if the game releases after August/September in either Japan or NA.

Really looking forward to Persona 5 to truly show how the series has grown since its last mainline release, through its sales.

I think P5 will break out to a much wider audience. So many guys I know who haven't played a single SMT or Persona game are interested in P5. i'm trying to get some of them into P4G.

i'm wondering why they didn't port P4G to PS4 as well. Vita sales aren't that great.

I'm guessing they prefer Golden to be the lead game for Playstation Vita because that gives it a lot of visibility. Big fish in a small pond. The PSN port of vanilla P4 came after Golden was already released.

Yeah that's why I'm not too sure, coming out after September not only means less time on shelves but it also puts it up against lots of competition. It could still happen depending on word of mouth and advertising and being on two generations of console will help. I also think the lackluster playstation exclusives so far will work in it's favour.

If they don't hit 1 million sold by the end of 2015 I'm confident it will happen by the end of Q1 2016. Regardless the game's going to well and I'm glad as it's well earned.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
So, I got PQ for christmas but haven't been able to play it up until yesterday. Don't worry, this post does not contain spoilers (not that I'm far enough into the game to spoil anything anyways.)

I'm posting to say that I'm really fond of the Sub-Persona system and how it's used to avoid that typical SP drain and my resulting avoidance of Persona skills in the main games. I'm not sure if I "got it" 100% yet, but what I do right now is use skills so that as many party members as possible are boosted. Most of the time this still leaves characters with a little "white SP" portion so that whatever SP they get from their sub will fully recharge them in the next battle. In the next turns I try to maintain the boost using the appropriate skills (not using SP at all due to it) and occasionally drop the boost to heal another member back to "white HP" or deal with ailments. Having every member back at "white HP" will then fully charge their HP at the stat of the next battle.

Is that the general modus operandi with Sub-Personae? I've been using this basic strategy up to and including Wonderland Floor 3 now and I'm really liking this system. Before I used it properly I had frequent runs to the nurse's office, wasting a lot of money, but now I can remain in the dungeon for quite a while. Shows that simple things can still give an interesting twist on regular turn based combat.

Though I must admit I'm a filthy casual that has auto mapping on. Not because I don't like the concept, but drawing walls myself was just tedious, especially since all you do is trace that blue outline they display. Luckily, I can still mark spots, treasures etc. myself.

PK Gaming

So, I got PQ for christmas but haven't been able to play it up until yesterday. Don't worry, this post does not contain spoilers (not that I'm far enough into the game to spoil anything anyways.)

I'm posting to say that I'm really fond of the Sub-Persona system and how it's used to avoid that typical SP drain and my resulting avoidance of Persona skills in the main games. I'm not sure if I "got it" 100% yet, but what I do right now is use skills so that as many party members as possible are boosted. Most of the time this still leaves characters with a little "white SP" portion so that whatever SP they get from their sub will fully recharge them in the next battle. In the next turns I try to maintain the boost using the appropriate skills (not using SP at all due to it) and occasionally drop the boost to heal another member back to "white HP" or deal with ailments. Having every member back at "white HP" will then fully charge their HP at the stat of the next battle.

Is that the general modus operandi with Sub-Personae? I've been using this basic strategy up to and including Wonderland Floor 3 now and I'm really liking this system. Before I used it properly I had frequent runs to the nurse's office, wasting a lot of money, but now I can remain in the dungeon for quite a while. Shows that simple things can still give an interesting twist on regular turn based combat.

Though I must admit I'm a filthy casual that has auto mapping on. Not because I don't like the concept, but drawing walls myself was just tedious, especially since all you do is trace that blue outline they display. Luckily, I can still mark spots, treasures etc. myself.

You've pretty much got the right idea. Later on, you'll gain SP skills that use your entire SP buffer, and then some. Don't shy away from doing that since the end result is losing 5-10 SP per battle, which isn't much by the long run. Definitely don't shy away from using expensive HP skills, considering how easy it is to replenish HP in this game.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
On the subject of PQ, wouldn't mind a little help.

I'm on the 4th floor of the Evil Spirit Club, at the stage where I'm trying to solve this puzzle with the string of letters/plusses/minuses.

I'm not going to Google it, because I don't want to flat out read the solution, so I wanted to ask: Is there a way to turn the lights on in the last two rooms? Is it obvious (just trawling the floor wall humping)?

Failing that, can anybody give me a hint that doesn't spell out the solution?

On the subject of PQ, wouldn't mind a little help.

I'm on the 4th floor of the Evil Spirit Club, at the stage where I'm trying to solve this puzzle with the string of letters/plusses/minuses.

I'm not going to Google it, because I don't want to flat out read the solution, so I wanted to ask: Is there a way to turn the lights on in the last two rooms? Is it obvious (just trawling the floor wall humping)?

Failing that, can anybody give me a hint that doesn't spell out the solution?

You can't turn on those lights.

Get stuck for long enough and the game will spell out the solution for you. As a hint:
Think of the four rooms like a plane

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'd rather not have the game spell it out. I don't remember if it was prompted, but Naoto folded really quickly on the schedule puzzle a few floors up, giving the solution after failing a few times just trying some ideas out.

Made me feel like I should have a dunce cap on while playing.

I'd rather not have the game spell it out. I don't remember if it was prompted, but Naoto folded really quickly on the schedule puzzle a few floors up, giving the solution after failing a few times just trying some ideas out.

Made me feel like I should have a dunce cap on while playing.

If it makes you feel any better, I had the game spell out the solution for the puzzle you're stuck on, and it didn't really help any. To be fair though, I had already figured out what the solution was, I had just completely over-thought how to implement it. So maybe the game spelling it out for you might just point you in the right direction?

Meia

I don't mind the idea of puzzles, but if you feel you need to have a character in the game you can turn to to solve it for you, you're probably going in the wrong direction for what you should be doing in terms of design...

I mean, it's neat that it gives more character to someone like Naoto who just solves things right away, but if there's no reward for doing it on your own, why bother having player agency when it comes to solving it begin with?

Sophia

The combination of the obtuse puzzles and the extremely fast enemies in the third dungeon really derailed the game for me. I was flying by on Risky until I hit that part.

The schedule puzzle in particular really threw me off because it's done in way that doesn't easily let me organize it in my head. It basically requires you to write it down in a more organized manner
in order to see the pattern.

LX_Theo

Banned
Personally I don't like the dungeon puzzles. I like the gameplay of the games because I can think of a solution to the problem and fly with it. Puzzles have one answer. Which is boring because requires a specific line of thinking. Sort of like the difference between open world and linear. I can get why people like puzzles, I just don't. Too restricting on what I'm trying to enjoy. At least, the puzzles loose their appeal when they become more about the puzzle than the rest of what's going on.

Personally I don't like the dungeon puzzles. I like the gameplay of the games because I can think of a solution to the problem and fly with it. Puzzles have one answer. Which is boring because requires a specific line of thinking. Sort of like the difference between open world and linear. I can get why people like puzzles, I just don't. Too restricting on what I'm trying to enjoy. At least, the puzzles loose their appeal when they become more about the puzzle than the rest of what's going on.

Kinda related, but one of my favourite things about my PQ run was trying to get 100% completion on every floor. Some of the later FOEs made it pretty interesting to do, and I never really felt like there was just one solution.

The only puzzle I really disliked was the dungeon 3 floor 4 one. All the others I found pretty manageable, but I think they want too far with making the solution too obtuse, and I do hate that the game gives you the solution without even asking, it just completely defeats the point.

The dungeon 4 and 5 puzzles were much better since they were actually built around the dungeons, rather than just being logic puzzles, and if you don't want to do them you have the option of killing the FOEs to make them easier.

The combination of the obtuse puzzles and the extremely fast enemies in the third dungeon really derailed the game for me. I was flying by on Risky until I hit that part.

The schedule puzzle in particular really threw me off because it's done in way that doesn't easily let me organize it in my head. It basically requires you to write it down in a more organized manner
in order to see the pattern.

same here. I had to write everything down on a notepad
before i could see a visible pattern

LiK

Yea PQ has some pretty difficult puzzles because of how vague some clues are. I found dungeon 3 supremely exhausting. 4 was pretty difficult but I HATE 3.

man, not a fan of that. i bought it strictly for the story/characters. guess i'll just guide through it lol

FluxWaveZ

To think there's only a month left until Persona 3 The Movie #3 releases in theaters, in Japan. At least the import edition of the second movie releases next week.

I think there should be a new promotional trailer for P3M#3 at about 10 AM EST tomorrow, so that'll be cool.

To think there's only a month left until Persona 3 The Movie #3 releases in theaters, in Japan. At least the import edition of the second movie releases next week.

I think there should be a new promotional trailer for P3M#3 at about 10 AM EST tomorrow, so that'll be cool.

Yeah, the sky's totally clear where I am, so the full moon really stands out. It'd be cool to have a P3M#3 trailer tomorrow.

I do have a question about P3, actually, if anyone here knows the answer off hand. (Mid-to-late P3 spoilers)
Does Ken join SEES because he knows Shinji is somehow involved with them, or does he only find out about Shinji later? I seem to remember that he joins SEES because Shinji is there, and while I've been able to find scenes in the script implying that's the case, I haven't found anything definitive.

Yeah, the sky's totally clear where I am, so the full moon really stands out. It'd be cool to have a P3M#3 trailer tomorrow.

I do have a question about P3, actually, if anyone here knows the answer off hand. (Mid-to-late P3 spoilers)
Does Ken join SEES because he knows Shinji is somehow involved with them, or does he only find out about Shinji later? I seem to remember that he joins SEES because Shinji is there, and while I've been able to find scenes in the script implying that's the case, I haven't found anything definitive.

He knows who Shinji is, though he doesn't know his name until he overhears Shinji and Akihiko talking.

He joins after he discovers Shinjiro was the one who killed his mother

PK Gaming

interesting, some questions in class are different in P4 and P4G.

Here's a full list of (undocumented) differences between Persona 4 and Persona 4 Golden. There's a ton.

Code:
+ = Golden addition
- = Vanilla exclusive
+/- = Changed between versions

+Added meet up with Marie at the beginning of the game 
+Added extra dialogue with Dojima asking you if you're ok (dialogue prompt)
+Added walk sequence where you get to explore Inaba (The shopping district is introduced)
+Saki and her brother can be seen fighting in the central shopping district
+Saving no longer boots you out of the save menu 
+You can now load your game from the pause menu
+Added night time events
+You can hear yourself walking up / down the stairs at the Dojima residence now
+You can check the calendar in your room
+Dying no longer boots you to the title screen
+Aika is now referenced when eating at Aiya's
+HD sprites
+You can set skills during fusion
+Added a fastforward option to skip through scenes
+Added fusion search
+The game now tells you the amount of times needed to finish a book beforehand

-Chie is voiced by Tracey Rooney 
-Teddie is voiced by Dave Wittenberg
-You can "skim" through books or read through them thoroughly(???)
-The TV that leads into the real world are red and have pink screens
-In the save menu, Saturday & Sunday are "colored" blue and red respectively 
-Shadows that appear in dungeon overworld come in 2 variants; flying and grounded. (P4G only uses the grounded variant)
-There's a save point in front of the boss

+/- The burning beetle reflects physical instead of simply resisting it (not 100% sure)
+/- Shuffle time is completely different in both versions
+/- Pop quiz questions are completely different!
+/-Grounded shadows have a different design in P4G (they now wear masks)
+/- Nanako's "hmmm" voice clip is different. In P4G, it's a long "Hmmmmm" whereas in P4, it's a short "Hm."
+/- Value medicine heals 100HP in P4G (up from 50HP)
+/-  Many shadows have had their weaknesses/resistances. For example, the heat balance enemy is weak to wind and lightning skills in Golden. In the original P4, it lacked a weaknesses.
+/- Golden hands are more common in P4G. They now give out a ton of EXP
+/- They changed some of [spoiler]Margeret's[/spoiler] lines during [spoiler]her[/spoiler] boss battle. All of her "new" lines are voiced by Karen Strassmen.
+/-Shadow Chie now resists physical and has more health
+/-Shadow Yukiko is now weak to Bufu, and responds to being hit by it by casting White Wall
+/-The Charming Prince in the Shadow Yukiko fight is now weak to electricity, rather than Ice.
+/-Shadow Kanji's two flunkies now have weaknesses. Nice Guy is weak to ice, and Tough Guy is weak to Fire.
+/-The optional boss now gets two turns in a row. The bosses's skills have been renamed too. Narukami is now Jihad. Divine Wind is now Divine Vacuum. Meltdown is now Prominence.
+/-The mechanics of The Reaper have been changed. You can now encounter him on a first playthrough, and his presence in a chest is indicated by rattling chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom