• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

In the 20.2 million PS4s sold WW thread, it was pointed out that Persona 5 leads the lists in the Japanese press release. Perhaps an indication of the marketing power Sony will want to put behind the title in Japan. Would have been really cool if P5 was mentioned in the US press release, though.

Edit: Speaking of Persona 5... Atlus USA has just updated the Persona 5 website page.

So they're just linking to Atlus Japan's stuff for now, I think that's the first time they've done that.

Looks like it's gated at 18. although I suppose that's just Atlus USA guessing.

In the 20.2 million PS4s sold WW thread, it was pointed out that Persona 5 leads the lists in the Japanese press release. Perhaps an indication of the marketing power Sony will want to put behind the title in Japan. Would have been really cool if P5 was mentioned in the US press release, though.

Edit: Speaking of Persona 5... Atlus USA has just updated the Persona 5 website page.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony give P5 a decent push in Japan. Persona 5 has a lot of hype around it and Sony needs help getting people interested in Japan interested in the PS4 so it makes sense to put some co marketing money behind it.

FluxWaveZ

Looks like it's gated at 18. although I suppose that's just Atlus USA guessing.

If there's an age gate, it's likely legally binding, so it might be some kind of requirement for Rating Pending games, or that it's now necessary because of the link to the Japanese website's media for the game.

Nimby

Banned
Wow.

They didn't even consider Kanji

tumblr_myzmnyWaGw1s6tj3no1_400.gif

FluxWaveZ

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony give P5 a decent push in Japan. Persona 5 has a lot of hype around it and Sony needs help getting people interested in Japan interested in the PS4 so it makes sense to put some co marketing money behind it.

Hm, wonder if that could be somewhat related to why we haven't seen any PS4 media for Persona 5 yet, if it's not that that version of the game just isn't ready.

It'd be cool to see Sony also back P5 significantly in NA, since it being a big deal and marketed in a way to reflect that is a given in Japan.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
If there's an age gate, it's likely legally binding, so it might be some kind of requirement for Rating Pending games, or that it's now necessary because of the link to the Japanese website's media for the game.

ESRB.

And it's cool to be on top of that Sony release; pretty sure P5 is Japan's #1 most anticipated title or maybe second only to FFXV.

MSMrRound

ESRB.

And it's cool to be on top of that Sony release; pretty sure P5 is Japan's #1 most anticipated title or maybe second only to FFXV.

Still holding out on a PS4 purchase in the hopes of AtlusJP/SonyJP coming up with a Persona 5 edition PS4 bundle or something.

I know I'll definitely spring for one.

LX_Theo

Banned
ESRB.

A little off topic... But it would be completely amazing if you could push for a P5 themed HDD cover for the western release like PQ had the Nintendo 3DS case.

No need to reply or anything. I just hope I could get that idea flowing a bit more in Atlus USA. :)

FluxWaveZ

ESRB.

Thanks, so it was the former.

And I really think Persona 5 should have been in the NA press release, especially when there are mentions of Until Dawn and Tearaway Unfolded? Not to belittle the potential quality of those games, but they're nowhere near the amount of anticipation Persona 5 has in North America.

I had a dream. Persona 5 actually gets a US commercial from Sony, albeit a small release (like Toonami).

Thought about this after seeing the Bloodborne commercial. It would be pretty awesome.

DNAbro

Thanks, so it was the former.

And I really think Persona 5 should have been in the NA press release, especially when there are mentions of Until Dawn and Tearaway Unfolded? Not to belittle the potential quality of those games, but they're nowhere near the amount of anticipation Persona 5 has in North America.

Thought about this after seeing the Bloodborne commercial. It would be pretty awesome.

do you think Sega would be willing to put out commercials for it? I mean it will sell more than Sonic Boom and that travesty had so much advertising.

FluxWaveZ

do you think Sega would be willing to put out commercials for it? I mean it will sell more than Sonic Boom and that travesty had so much advertising.

Oh wow, I just realized modern Sonic games sell terribly, at least in Japan. Sonic Toon sold less than 6.6k in its opening week, and didn't even appear in the top 30 Famitsu numbers as a result.

All I think is that Persona 5 is one of the biggest games coming out this year, despite not being one of the juggernaut brands in the west (yet), and having all the others get commercials and stuff without P5 getting the same treatment would be dismaying.

DNAbro

Oh wow, I just realized modern Sonic games sell terribly, at least in Japan. Sonic Toon sold less than 6.6k in its opening week, and didn't even appear in the top 30 Famitsu numbers as a result.

All I think is that Persona 5 is one of the biggest games coming out this year, despite not being one of the juggernaut brands in the west (yet), and having all the others get commercials and stuff without P5 getting the same treatment would be dismaying.

The fact that Persona will sell more than the last two Sonic games makes me incredibly happy. I'm curious how much generations sold worldwide though.

PK Gaming

Following my success in predicting the plot of Persona 4 Ultimax, I've decided to once again put my prophetic powers to use.

This time around, i'll be tackling Persona 4: Dancing All Night. So let's Dance, Dance, Dance and groove to music!

dancingallnight-e1411261310355.png

Persona 4 Dancing All Night takes place 6 months after the events of Persona 4. The plot is centered around Kanamin—a cute and energetic idol who adores Rise like she's her older sister, but beneath that cute exterior lies a broken husk of a person. After being trapped in the Midnight Channel, Kanamin was struck with a serious illness; if she loses her "rhythm", she will die. It is because of this condition that she must constantly keep a rhythm going (ie by dancing, singing, tapping her feet) The "Shadow's Dance" that Yu alludes is the source of this condition. This is the reason why several of the Investigation Members wear headphones; it's an emergency option in case they momentarily lose their rhythm.

Yu: Don't be hurt, and if you get hurt, don't hurt back.

This the one rule that Persona users and Shadows must abide by in the Midnight Stage. Neither Shadow nor Human can directly harm each other. The only the way to defeat an opponent is via a "Dance Battle". Defeating an opponent in a Dance Battle will cause them to die. Once you are challenged to a Dance Battle, you must dance, or else you will die. Over the course of the game, Rise and the rest of the gang manage to defeat several "boss Shadows" and solve several mysteries. Despite the enormous risks, the Investigation Team manage to successfully the members of Kanamin's idol group. Though it seemed that they had won, there was one more obstacle standing in their way: Kanamin. In short, the person who kidnapped the members of Kanamin's Kitchen, the person responsible for afflicting the Investigation Team with the "dancing curse", and the person who created the Midnight Stage was none other than Kanamin herself. Kanamin was the mastermind.

Kanamin was kidnapped at a young age and experimented on by the Kirijo group. The Kirijo had Group struck a deal with Hopes Peak Academy in an attempt to create the Ultimate Dance Prodigy. Unfortunately, the plan had backfired; instead of becoming the Ultimate Dancing Prodigy, Kanamin had awakened to a new Persona. Unfortunately, Kanamin had absolutely no control over her deadly new Persona. The owner of this particular Persona was forced to keep a rhythm going or die... yes, the effects of the "Shadow's Dance" was actually the result of her Persona. With absolutely no hope of ever getting cured of this affliction, Kananim was pushed to the absolute brink of Despair. In her despair induced insanity, she had worked towards putting the entire world under her dancing curse. Kidnapping her idol mates and luring Rise was all part of the plan, as she needed a large amount of "Persona Dance Fragments" to execute her plan. In the end, Rise was unable to reach through to Kanamin; in a last ditch effort, Kananim had challenged Rise to a Dance Battle.

Persona-4-Dancing-All-Night-%E3%83%9A%E3%83%AB%E3%82%BD%E3%83%8A%EF%BC%94-%E3%83%80%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B7%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B0%E3%82%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB%E3%83%8A%E3%82%A4%E3%83%88-5.jpg

I'm going to Megidolaon kill you now!

Rise: I don't want to kill you... Kanamin...

Rise desperately pleaded with Kanamin, but to no avail. She was simply at the point of no return. Unable to cope with taking the life of someone, Rise broke down. Fortunately, through the encouragement of her friends, Rise was able to muster up to resolve to dance and ultimately defeat Kanamin. Sadly, Rise was unable to prevent her death. The game ends with Rise visiting Kanamin's grave and resolving to never stop dancing.

THE END

DNAbro

Wait, you mean the two Boom games or Rise of Lyric and Lost World?

Well both boom games and lost world. I'm pretty sure none of them sold over a million and combined all 3 might not reach 2 million.(not postive on lost world though)

EDIT: or I could completely misremembering it.

FluxWaveZ

Well both boom games and lost world. I'm pretty sure none of them sold over a million and combined all 3 might not reach 2 million.(not postive on lost world though)

EDIT: or I could completely misremembering it.

Only talking about Japan, let's say Persona 5 has a 350k opening in its first week (and that's a low-end/average estimate), it will still have sold more than the LTD numbers for Sonic Boom/Toon, Sonic: Lost World, Sonic Generations, Sonic Colors, Sonic Chronicles, Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic 2006 and Sonic Heroes combined (which would be a number of about 345k).

Wonder just how well Sonic performs outside of Japan.

"...And then they told me to shut up and dance."

Perfect subs Flux.

Ha, thanks. P4D getting trailers made me want to make another one of these, eventually.

What are we using as bad, though?

The Holocaust? Pompeii? The Black Plague? Clannad After Story?

Sho Minazuki

Persona 4 Ultimax spoilers
sho isn't that bad either but him getting the wild card irritated me more than anything in P4GA

Aboot how far are you in?

I wasn't really watching them in order. Going backwards almost. Maybe it's because I started with the [Redacted] episodes.

Anyone who has finished P4G recently, I recommend watching Persona 4 Golden the Animation, episodes 1, 2, 6, 7 and 8. You can find it on hulu.

DNAbro

Only talking about Japan, let's say Persona 5 has a 350k opening in its first week (and that's a low-end/average estimate), it will still have sold more than the LTD numbers for Sonic Boom/Toon, Sonic: Lost World, Sonic Generations, Sonic Colors, Sonic Chronicles, Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic 2006 and Sonic Heroes combined (which would be a number of about 345k).

Wonder just how well Sonic performs outside of Japan.

Well Sonic Boom(wii u/3ds) worldwide sold 490k(or shipped probably)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=990671&highlight=sonic+boom

Lost world 710k world wide(as of early 2014 though) I wouldn't expect it much higher
EDIT: first link has lost world sales lol

So Persona 5 will most likely be outselling the last two sonic games combined.

FluxWaveZ

Well Sonic Boom(wii u/3ds) worldwide sold 490k(or shipped probably)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=990671&highlight=sonic+boom

Lost world 640 world wide(as of early 2014 though) I wouldn't expect it much higher
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=765041&highlight=sonic+lost+world

Man, when Sonic Boom has probably only done about 10-20k in Japan, it's pretty clear that Sonic's cachet lies elsewhere.

So Persona 5 will most likely be outselling the last two sonic games combined.

LTD, for sure. If Persona 5 is released this year both in Japan and in North America, I would think it'd have a good shot of getting 1 million worldwide by the end of the year, at least.

Squire

Banned
ESRB.

Honestly, FFXV is far out it may as well not even be a factor. If P5 is only losing to that, it's not really losing at all.

Rubedo

I think part of the reason P5 will get a lot more noticed in the public eye is that there are few long PS4 games, especially RPGs, out right now. People are wanting stuff for the system and if P5 comes out in America during a period of blank space for big Western games, it could get a lot of attention.

That said, as much as I want Fallout 4, I'm a bit worried Bethesda will announce it at E3 and then release it around the same time as P5 comes over, thus completely fucking over P5's chance at the western spotlight.

FluxWaveZ

That said, as much as I want Fallout 4, I'm a bit worried Bethesda will announce it at E3 and then release it around the same time as P5 comes over, thus completely fucking over P5's chance at the western spotlight.

Fallout 4 being announced in June 2015 and released within 6 months afterwards? That's as absurd as those thinking that it's possible Final Fantasy XV could release this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom