• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shun

Aigis Spoilers

I mean I understand why they did it because of Hinokagutsuchi, but I never understood why in P4U they had to make a separate Shadow Aigis when Metis was basically Aigis's Shadow.

It was always implied in FES and P4G that Metis is from the other world and that she was Aigis's shadow. Is this a spoiler? Will edit if it is.

I mean I understand why they did it because of Hinokagutsuchi, but I never understood why in P4U they had to make a separate Shadow Aigis when Metis was basically Aigis's Shadow.

It was always implied in FES and P4G that Metis is from the other world and that she was Aigis's shadow. Is this a spoiler? Will edit if it is.
Because they aren't their shadows. The "shadows" are fakes OF the characters. They aren't their ACTUAL shadows.

Also yes, there are people here who haven't played FES yet

Meia

You mean an adorkable loser.

There's a difference.

The difference being that I want to pinch his cute little cheeks.

Very much this. They did a very good job with something that could have been done very poorly I think. I mean, he was suave in P3P, when there's absolutely *nobody* for him to interact with but the silent protagonist, so it's not that much of a reach to think he's actually like that anyway. :p

It was always implied in FES and P4G that
Metis
is from the other world and that she was Aigis's shadow. Is this a spoiler? Will edit if it is.

Wait. Isn't it impossible for
Metis
to be Aigis' shadow, since Aigis can still use a persona? (And no,
P4 Anime
doesn't count for game logic)

Wait. Isn't it impossible for
Metis
to be Aigis' shadow, since Aigis can still use a persona? (And no,
P4 Anime
doesn't count for game logic)
FES still let Aigis use a Persona, but that before those "rules" were set by P4. Remember,
Metis is the embodiment of ALL of Aigis's emotions, both positive and negative

Also remember, P3 and P4 use different logic with Personas and Shadows.
Metis could definitely be Aigis's shadow still, but she wouldn't act like the shadows from P4, since Metis is a different embodiment than the shadows of the P4 cast

FES still let Aigis use a Persona, but that before those "rules" were set by P4. Remember,
Metis is the embodiment of ALL of Aigis's emotions, both positive and negative

Also remember, P3 and P4 use different logic with Personas and Shadows.
Metis could definitely be Aigis's shadow still, but she wouldn't act like the shadows from P4, since Metis is a different embodiment than the shadows of the P4 cast

I guess it's just difficult for me to see it that way, having played P4 first.
Though if that's true, why is Igor so surprised to learn Teddie's a shadow that can use a persona in P4? (Even stating it should not be possible)

Sophia

Is this a spoiler? Will edit if it is.

It's a spoiler for both games, yes.

I guess it's just difficult for me to see it that way, having played P4 first.
Though if that's true, why is Igor so surprised to learn Teddie's a shadow that can use a persona in P4? (Even stating it should not be possible)

Igor isn't surprised by that. He's surprised that Teddie got to the point where he can enter the Velvet Room. As only beings with hearts can enter there.

--------

I've said this before in IRC, but seeing as CrimsonFist reminded me that many other Japanese 3DS games are getting updated releases.... I really want to see an updated version to Persona Q somehow. The game is fantastic, but it's horribly horribly imbalanced. Like, it's even more imbalanced than Persona 4 Golden is. Which is absurd.

• Magic skills cost too much for what they do. Especially early on, the skills simply don't justify their large cost. It's far easier to restore HP than it is to restore SP.
  • Instant kills and status effects cost too little for how effective they are. There's no reason Toxic Slice, a skill you get early on, should do several hundred points of damage and only cost a measly 10 HP.
  • Some status effects (such as poison and panic) as well as link abilities are too powerful. Poison could have a 50% damage reduction across the board and still be too powerful!
  • The Sub-Personas could use some adjusting as could the members of the party. Some members of the party have really lousy default skill sets (Teddie, for example) or their stats are inefficient for their role. Yukari's main Persona two of it's four spots dedicated to healing abilities, yet Yukari has very lousy speed for a healer. And speed is essential for a healer, especially in the third dungeon. The only way to get around a lot of these issues is to sacrifice the accessory slot.
  • The (MAJOR GAMEPLAY SPOILER)
    game could really use a sixth optional dungeon to put it on par with other Etrian Odyssy games
  • The game needs better management options for handling all the party members and their levels. Having to juggle accessories just to share XP is silly and makes management of said accessories a pain in the ass.
  • The game needs to not keep all of it's mechanics locked until you're already half way done. There's no reason things like sacrificial fusions and skill card creation should be unavailable until so late in the game, especially when they're needed by the end of the first dungeon.

And perhaps most importantly at all, the level penalty mechanic is total bullshit. For those of you unaware of what that is: any party member with a sub-persona that's more than five levels different takes a penalty to all their actions up to 50%. It's not explained anywhere where in the game, and there's no indication of when the penalty is in play. Many players end up in the second or third dungeon not understanding why their characters are doing poor amounts of damage, because the game didn't communicate at all. Combined with the above issue of having 16-18 party members, it just makes managing a party a total chore unless you opt not to use more than five characters.

It's a spoiler for both games, yes.

Igor isn't surprised by that. He's surprised that Teddie got to the point where he can enter the Velvet Room. As only beings with hearts can enter there.

--------

I've said this before in IRC, but seeing as CrimsonFist reminded me that many other Japanese 3DS games are getting updated releases.... I really want to see an updated version to Persona Q somehow. The game is fantastic, but it's horribly horribly imbalanced. Like, it's even more imbalanced than Persona 4 Golden is. Which is absurd.

• Magic skills cost too much for what they do. Especially early on, the skills simply don't justify their large cost. It's far easier to restore HP than it is to restore SP.
  • Instant kills and status effects cost too little for how effective they are. There's no reason Toxic Slice, a skill you get early on, should do several hundred points of damage and only cost a measly 10 HP.
  • The Sub-Personas could use some adjusting as could the members of the party. Some members of the party have really lousy default skill sets (Teddie, for example) or their stats are inefficient for their role. Yukari's main Persona two of it's four spots dedicated to healing abilities, yet Yukari has very lousy speed for a healer. And speed is essential for a healer, especially in the third dungeon. The only way to get around a lot of these issues is to sacrifice the accessory slot.
  • The (MAJOR GAMEPLAY SPOILER)
    game could really use a sixth optional dungeon to put it on par with other Etrian Odyssy games
  • The game needs better management options for handling all the party members and their levels. Having to juggle accessories just to share XP is silly and makes management of said accessories a pain in the ass.
  • The game needs to not keep all of it's mechanics locked until you're already half way done. There's no reason things like sacrificial fusions and skill card creation should be unavailable until so late in the game, especially when they're needed by the end of the first dungeon.

And perhaps most importantly at all, the level penalty mechanic is total bullshit. For those of you unaware of what that is: any party member with a sub-persona that's more than five levels different takes a penalty to all their actions up to 50%. It's not explained anywhere where in the game, and there's no indication of when the penalty is in play. Many players end up in the second or third dungeon not understanding why their characters are doing poor amounts of damage, because the game didn't communicate at all. Combined with the above issue of having 16-18 party members, it just makes managing a party a total chore unless you opt not to use more than five characters.
It took me a long ass time to figure out what was going on with that sub persona mechanic. Pissed me off, and I only used 5 characters. Sub personas just ended up underleveled and good fusion options for weaknesses werent available

Then the point still stands.
Metis was walking around the Velvet Room with everyone else after the fight with Erebus. He shouldn't be surprised again.

Sophia

Then the point still stands.
Metis was walking around the Velvet Room with everyone else after the fight with Erebus. He shouldn't be surprised again.

Metis is a rather unique case, seeing as she's born from Aigis. Aigis is fundamentally no different than Teddie. He wouldn't' be surprised there because Aigis was already his guest.

How does it matter whether the shadow belonged to the guest or not?
Because Teddie isn't someone's shadow. He was a lone shadow, that grew his own emotions. His emotions weren't taken from someone else, he grew them on his own

Well, not 100% sure on Teddie's origin, but it's fact that he grew emotions, unlike the P4 cast's shadows that are the embodiment of their repressed side

Because Teddie isn't someone's shadow. He was a normal shadow, that grew his own emotions. His emotions weren't taken from someone else, he grew them on his own

I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume
Teddie didn't come from anyone, since that's precisely what Shadows come from. Just because we never find out where that shadow came from doesn't mean he wasn't made that way.

EDIT: Yeah.
Teddie's origin is one big blind spot. Though him saying that he was just a shadow that wanted to be liked means he could have had a lonely person as his host.

Teddie didn't come from anyone, since that's precisely what Shadows come from. Just because we never find out where that shadow came from doesn't mean he wasn't made that way.
Yeah, I wasn't thinking. But, he is still different, because unlike other shadows, he grew emotions.

Sophia

There's a bit of a difference between Teddie (presumably a regular shadow who got lucky) and Metis (A Shadow Self in all but name, explicitly born from Aigis, who herself had developed a heart and full emotions by that point)

1. That's more of an ailment. 2. That's going into the fourth wall, and Persona doesn't break the fourth wall as far as I know

What about the final battle to P3? :p

LiK

Managed to install PCSX2 and play P3FES from the PS2 disc fine but playing with a 360 pad was weird. I dunno, didn't feel right.

Decided to just hook up my PS2 Slim with my PS3 component cables to my HDTV. Of course, I set it to 4:3 cuz widescreen makes everyone all stretched which was gross.

I'll probably start digging through it this weekend. ^^

B_JWtXUVAAEmgzb.jpg

There's a bit of a difference between Teddie (presumably a regular shadow who got lucky) and Metis (A Shadow Self in all but name, explicitly born from Aigis, who herself had developed a heart and full emotions by that point)

What about the final battle to P3? :p

What part, exactly? I'm thinking of a few spots where that could have happened but don't know the exact one you are referencing

Managed to install PCSX2 and play P3FES from the PS2 disc fine but playing with a 360 pad was weird. I dunno, didn't feel right.

Decided to just hook up my PS2 Slim with my PS3 component cables to my HDTV. Of course, I set it to 4:3 cuz widescreen makes everyone all stretched which was gross.

B_JWtXUVAAEmgzb.jpg

Have fun! Don't do what i did and play it 10+ hours a day, i went into full-on no-life mode when i first played P3 :p

PK Gaming

B_JWtXUVAAEmgzb.jpg

Bon appétit

As always, we're here for you if you need us

Lusankya

Guess what got 2.5 million views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc_9r4wifFc

It's Persona 5

Yeah, I still watched it several times per week. :p

Btw. parts of the trailer will be parts of the opening (all the animated, stylish stuff) and I wondered where they're going to show the other characters. In P4 the characters were shown in the order they joined your party later on (Teddie usually just at the end).

However during the "skating the highway" scenes Ryoji and Anzu seem to be the last two characters. Ryoji just ends the whole act by throwing Morgana against the wall and Anzu's scene has a smooth transition to his scene. On the other hand the transition from MC's scene to Anzu's scene isn't smooth (look at the background changing) and indicates that there will be the skating scenes of the other characters.

New chapters of the Persona 1 Manga have been translated, we are getting close to the end

A day after I talk about the P1 Manga and lament that we haven't seen any new chapters in a while

CorvoSol

But it's funnier thinking of Theo like you had Makoto in your P3P playthrough(since it almost matches what he's become after), he just didn't have anyone to put him in his place. :p

At least he got to be somewhat charming to Labrys, I guess.

Not that that is anything of any worth since literally any guy gets her gears rotating.

Fucking Sho.

kiyoaki

Yeah, I still watched it several times per week. :p

Btw. parts of the trailer will be parts of the opening (all the animated, stylish stuff) and I wondered where they're going to show the other characters. In P4 the characters were shown in the order they joined your party later on (Teddie usually just at the end).

However during the "skating the highway" scenes Ryoji and Anzu seem to be the last two characters. Ryoji just ends the whole act by throwing Morgana against the wall and Anzu's scene has a smooth transition to his scene. On the other hand the transition from MC's scene to Anzu's scene isn't smooth (look at the background changing) and indicates that there will be the skating scenes of the other characters.
I suppose we won't get to see all playable characters even in the final version of the opening animation. Knowing everybody who will join your party right from the outset of the game would spoil the story a little.

That being said, more and new P5 character designs are exactly what I'd like to see most right now.

LiK

Have fun! Don't do what i did and play it 10+ hours a day, i went into full-on no-life mode when i first played P3 :p

hah, you should've seen my P4G marathon. 3 days through first playthrough and about less than a week for NG+ True Ending. :)

altho i'm taking it easy with P3 depending on how much it'll grab me again. I gave up on the vanilla P3 years ago about a dozen hours in.

DNAbro

I suppose we won't get to see all playable characters even in the final version of the opening animation. Knowing everybody who will join your party right from the outset of the game would spoil the story a little.

That being said, more and new P5 character designs are exactly what I'd like to see most right now.

Well P4 did it.

Lusankya

The openings and boxarts of P3(FES) and P4 already showed all characters, so that shouldn't be a problem. Considering they already showed Fox-chan (because they couldn't cut the "charcter designer" part), I am pretty sure we will see all party characters in the opening. Unless of course one of them is supposed to be a huge surprise.

Totally. We haven't even seen Soejima's official 2D artwork of Ryoju and Anzu.

hah, you should've seen my P4G marathon. 3 days through first playthrough and about less than a week for NG+ True Ending. :)

altho i'm taking it easy with P3 depending on how much it'll grab me again. I gave up on the vanilla P3 years ago about a dozen hours in.
that sounds like my P4G marathon. I generally hate handhelds but I played straight through P4G anyway

I space out my playtime on most handheld games to avoid getting too annoyed at the system.

LiK

that sounds like my P4G marathon. I generally hate handhelds but I played straight through P4G anyway

I space out my playtime on most handheld games to avoid getting too annoyed at the system.

I played on PSTV so it was a pure console experience for me. The standby feature was great.

I played a bit of P3's opening last night and I do not remember a single thing about it, lol. :p

I played on PSTV so it was a pure console experience for me. The standby feature was great.

I played a bit of P3's opening last night and I do not remember a single thing about it, lol. :p
I've been loving my PSTV, vita itself gets very little use for me now. Started playing senran kagura and deception 4 on it and both have been great.

I've been debating replaying P4G just to play it on the PSTV, but the backlog always calls.

P4 did, P3 did as well and the innocent sin psp intro did. The P5 intro will likely show all the party members and some side characters.

kiyoaki

Whelp. Just rewatched the P3 and P4 openings, and of course you're right. It's been so long since I last played the games. I think I'll go through them again in preparation for 5, I'll just wait for the release date to be announced so I'll get the timing right.

Well, I guess. But I mean the artwork in this style:
Yes, that's what I would like to see, too. Also, persona artwork!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It took me a long ass time to figure out what was going on with that sub persona mechanic. Pissed me off, and I only used 5 characters. Sub personas just ended up underleveled and good fusion options for weaknesses werent available

This is part of the problem I am having. Some of the personae are just not efficient enough for my current party or I can't carry over the skills that I want to the persona I want to fuse. It doesn't help that you seem to be only able to fuse 2 or 3 new personae every level.

The fourth dungeon is really getting on my nerves and every time I try to go back to it, I end up saying "fuck this" and go play something else. It's frustrating because the game was fine up until then. I'm on the third level and it's just annoying.

This is part of the problem I am having. Some of the personae are just not efficient enough for my current party or I can't carry over the skills that I want to the persona I want to fuse. It doesn't help that you seem to be only able to fuse 2 or 3 new personae every level.

The fourth dungeon is really getting on my nerves and every time I try to go back to it, I end up saying "fuck this" and go play something else. It's frustrating because the game was fine up until then. I'm on the third level and it's just annoying.
yea its frustrating as hell. If you feel like dumping money you can buy random personas for sacrifice fusions. Thats kind've hard to do until 4th or 5th dungeon though as money is at a premium for a while

Meia

I honestly think the biggest part of the sub persona system is that they made the rules *worse* for inheritance, and I didn't really think that was possible. If I'm fusing a persona with physical attack skills, and it gives a big boost to HP and a small one to SP, that SHOULD be classified as a "physical" user and I should be able to slap on whatever physical abilities I want, but I'm often restricted.

The "SP" problem with magical attacks has been covered enough. Chie in game is a kind of fun design in that she never gets enough SP naturally to cast one of the first spells she gets(Power Charge), but she gets a pretty high crit rate so you can then combo for it to cost no SP. It's a smart design, and really makes the situation where they didn't think to do that to ANY of the pure magical casters all the more baffling.

Even if they gave all the magic casters one physical with high crit so they could only cast their big spells(either healing or damage) every other turn it would be a vast improvement. Hell, if they didn't get rid of the previous tiers of magical attacks so you could use a small one at a cost and then a big one after for no cost that would also help, and be a neat risk/reward thing as you're praying that character doesn't get attacked before next turn...

But I do get it. Most of the game's problems just purely stem from the idea of it trying to be an Etrian Odyssey game, where "instant death" is considered a status effect and nothing should have access to aoe versions of it. SP being rare is also a part of it, but pure casters in that game usually get some passive way of conserving it, where no thought was given into this game doing it. I mean, would it have been impossible for them to have Inivigorate in the game, but changed so it matches one of those old passives? How about Invig 3 doing the "You have a 20% chance of each spell you cast costing no SP" thing that was in EO4?

Lunar15

Well, the cut-ins for Persona 4 and for Persona 4 Golden looked different than the promotional art for the characters.

There seems to be multiple styles used by the team (or by soejima himself). He has a very clean and almost "3D-Shaded" style. A flatter, 2D style. And then a very sketchy style.

Setsu00

Well, the cut-ins for Persona 4 and for Persona 4 Golden looked different than the promotional art for the characters.

There seems to be multiple styles used by the team (or by soejima himself). He has a very clean and almost "3D-Shaded" style. A flatter, 2D style. And then a very sketchy style.

That's for certain. There's also the huge artistic difference between daytime and nighttime in Persona 5. Daytime is rather realistic while nighttime has a more cartoonish tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom