• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) What is your favorite persona character?
2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
4) favorite persona scene
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link
7) What are your thoughts on the Kanamin trailer?

1. Super hard. It changes over time. Right now Aigis for sure.
2. P4G
3. Laser Beam -Secret Path Version-
4. King's game.
5. Lucifer.
6. Akinari Kamiki from P3. :(
7. Neutral right now but the DLC reveal got me pumped.

2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link
1. Lisa Silverman
2. Persona 2:Innocent Sin
3. Educational Institution (School Theme)
4. Ending of Persona 2: Innocent Sin
5. Thanatos
6. Yukari Takeba
7. The cow comparison seems really weird and the alternate costume reveal is appalling, but the rest of the trailer was ok.

Zyrox

2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

I guess this was more directed at Kajigoddess (welcome btw) as a sort of introduction query but since other people are doing it as well, here goes.

1) Mitsuru Kirijo
2) Persona 3 FES
3) Kimi no Kioku
4) Persona 3's whole ending phase (basically the final month plus ending)
5) Thanatos (Soejima) Helel (Kaneko)
6) Maya
7) I do not care much for her at the moment. Her eyes are irritatingly big.

CorvoSol

2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

1. Koromaru
2. Koromaru's secret side story to P4
3. Koromaru's theme
4. The one where Koromaru defeats the Welch's Grape Jam Salesman
5. Koromaru's Level 2 Persona
6. Koromaru's with Mitsuru
7. Not enough Koromaru

Drop

Welcome Kaji, hope you have a good time!

Hey guys, I'm playing through PBP for the first time.
Is going in to save the lost souls worth it?
Is it something I should always try to do?

Are you talking about the people trapped in tartarus?
If that's the case, from what I remember it depends,
if Elizabeth tells you it's someone you know, you should definitely do it, cause if you don't save them you can't continue their social links
In any case I'd say there's really no downside in saving them, there's plenty of time to go to tartarus in p3 so an extra trip shouldn't be a problem.

2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

Since everyone is doing this I'll join, it's going to be hard since I've never given much thought to the majority of these:

1) That's the hardest question for me since there are so many characters I like, but I'd say Yukari is my favourite
2) P3FES
3) I'd probably need to make a top 50 to be satisfied, but if it's only one I'd say Kimi no kioku
4) p3 ending spoiler
when you start the battle with nix and burn my dread starts playing, then you hear everyone's voice, ending with Shinjiro
5) Never thought about this at all, Caesar is pretty cool
6) Sun in p3
7) I don't like her at all for now, but I hope that's gonna change

cj_iwakura

So I'm thinking of finally going in and playing the PSP version of Eternal Punishment because obviously the whole language barrier thing doesn't bother me that much. Anyway, do any of you know if you need to import a Japanese save from Innocent Sin in order to access the new story content? I played the PSP version of that game in English as a matter of circumstantial convenience at the time and I've tried looking this up before, but found Japanese resources to be surprisingly vague on this point, but I figure surely one of you knows, so~

What you should keep in mind is Tatsuya is solo, and uses your items and resources. Be prepared before starting it, it's not easy.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

Might as well join in.

1. Kanji
2. P3 FES (haven't played P3P so can't compare the two)
3. Nevermore
4. Ending of P3
5. Attis. I'm a fan of some of the stranger designs too, like Saturnus.
6. Akinari from P3
7. If I get anything good out of the story for P4 DAN I'll be thoroughly shocked.

kewlmyc

2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

1. Kanji or Elizabeth, can't decide
2. Persona 3 FES probably
3. Mass Destruction
4. The entire final battle of P3
5. Thanatos
6. Dojima/Nanako (they go so well together, I count them both)
7. Idol character is very idol. Not very interested in the game altogether though.

MudoSkills

I always find the old-school/new-school divide in these polls fascinating.

I don't. Everyone who played P1, P2 has to let you know that they did, so you understand how much better they are than these damn Johnny-come-lately's who started with P3.

I've tried playing Innocent Sin a few times, just can't get into it.

cj_iwakura

I don't. Everyone who played P1, P2 has to let you know that they did, so you understand how much better they are than these damn Johnny-come-lately's who started with P3.

I've tried playing Innocent Sin a few times, just can't get into it.

Just because people like the originals doesn't mean they're claiming to be superior, they just favor the originals.

Setsu00

2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

1) Naoto, probably.
2) Persona 4
3) Right now I like the remix of "Friends" from PQ a lot
4) P3's ending
5) Tie between Tsukuyomi (Soejima) and Tsukiyomi (Soejima)
6) Hisano from P4
7) Kanami is freaking me out.

MudoSkills

Just because people like the originals doesn't mean they're claiming to be superior, they just favor the originals.

Not so much in here maybe, but look at any thread in main gaming discussion about the Persona series.

There's definitely a tone to it. I'd be surprised if there's a thread that doesn't have at least one person mention 'those people who think the series started with P3'.

Drop

Not so much in here maybe, but look at any thread in main gaming discussion about the Persona series.

There's definitely a tone to it. I'd be surprised if there's a thread that doesn't have at least one person mention 'those people who think the series started with P3'.

"Those people who think the series started with P3"
Are you talking about Atlus?

Swedesu

2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

1) Katsuya Suou.
2) P3 FES.
3) Footsteps of Time from PQ.
4) The final days of P3.
5) Apollo.
6) A toss up between "Maya" and Saori.
7) That hair is incredible.

MudoSkills

I just got the Pathos Recorder in PQ.

To call this a reward.... I don't think a game has trolled me like this before.

Rubedo

Atlus know better. Hashino said he doesn't feel right with using characters that are primarily Cozy Okada's work.

Which kinda sucks IMO. I just really want one game where the Big Bad is so powerful it takes every protagonist from the series to fight him. That battle would be so cool and seeing grown up Tatsuya and Maya meeting the newer Persona users would be just great.

Setsu00

Which kinda sucks IMO. I just really want one game where the Big Bad is so powerful it takes every protagonist from the series to fight him. That battle would be so cool and seeing grown up Tatsuya and Maya meeting the newer Persona users would be just great.

That sounds awful to me, tbh.

Rubedo

Yeah, I'd rather each game be mostly standalone.

I don't mean the whole game would be a crossover. I mean it'd be like most games where it's its own thing but during the final boss fight your party just gets its ass kicked because the villain is too powerful (like someone like Nyarly). So the only way to beat it is using the most powerful Persona users which would be all the protagonists.

FluxWaveZ

I don't mean the whole game would be a crossover. I mean it'd be like most games where it's its own thing but during the final boss fight your party just gets its ass kicked because the villain is too powerful (like someone like Nyarly). So the only way to beat it is using the most powerful Persona users which would be all the protagonists.

I'm with Setsu, that sounds really lame to me.

Rubedo

I'm with Setsu, that sounds really lame to me.

Fair enough. It's just something I wanted to see since the end of the first Arena. But we ended up getting a poor substitute for Nyarly instead and it only took one protagonist to take him down which was pretty underwhelming when the story was about multiple casts.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Maybe it can make sense if the previous persona users are dead and their stories have formed into legends/myths folded into the collective consciousness, allowing them to become summonable demons.

That would be deliciously dark in a megaten way.

Setsu00

Maybe it can make sense if the previous persona users are dead and their stories have formed into legends/myths folded into the collective consciousness, allowing them to become summonable demons.

You mean like Nanjo's butler in Persona 1 and 2? That was incredibly weird.

LX_Theo

Banned

I suggested that a little while back for Rise becoming the succubus demon/Persona because of her P4D succubus outfit. :p

Its an interesting idea, but I think it'd be more in line Persona's themes if they simply made references to previous characters by making some of the demon's design reminiscent of the character design.

As for actual crossovers... It really shouldn't go farther than P3 or P4 did for it.

Rubedo

That would be almost more convoluted IMO. I was more thinking that since we now have the Shadow Operatives who are aware of every supernatural incident that goes on (almost like what you see the CIA doing in alien movies) they should logically be aware of any major villains that pop up. If one that was powerful enough to be a universal threat like Nyarly started stirring things and one protagonist wasn't strong enough to stop it then the obvious step would be to look through the files at all the past Persona-related incidents and go get those guys to come and back up the protagonist that just got his ass handed to him.

Because Nyarly is basically darkness incarnate, he's far more powerful than Izanami or Nyx. It'd make sense that someone trying to tear the entire universe apart would attract the attention of past Persona users.

Sophia

I like the idea of cameo appearances and supporting cross-over roles. But it should never go into the realm of full blown crisis cross-over like Rubedo mentioned. No point in trying to make the Super Robot Wars of Persona games. Especially because Atlus has proven that they're not very good at working with stories that have definite no-cliffhanger endings. :p

The P2 cast in particular should probably stay as is. It would devalue their story if they showed up in other games. I'm pretty open to the P1 cast making appearances tho.

Any of the gods except Nyx should be fair game tho. Nyarlathotep, Philemon, Ereberus, etc.

Rubedo

I like the idea of cameo appearances and supporting cross-over roles. But it should never go into the realm of full blown crisis cross-over like Rubedo mentioned. No point in trying to make the Super Robot Wars of Persona games.

The P2 cast in particular should probably stay as is. It would devalue their story if they showed up in other games. I'm pretty open to the P1 cast making appearances tho.

Arena was already a crossover though. The only real difference I mean is having all the protags rather than just two. And have them all defeat the villain rather than just Yu getting the spotlight.

Setsu00

That would be almost more convoluted IMO. I was more thinking that since we now have the Shadow Operatives who are aware of every supernatural incident that goes on (almost like what you see the CIA doing in alien movies) they should logically be aware of any major villains that pop up. If one that was powerful enough to be a universal threat like Nyarly started stirring things and one protagonist wasn't strong enough to stop it then the obvious step would be to look through the files at all the past Persona-related incidents and go get those guys to come and back up the protagonist that just got his ass handed to him.

Because Nyarly is basically darkness incarnate, he's far more powerful than Izanami or Nyx. It'd make sense that someone trying to tear the entire universe apart would attract the attention of past Persona users.

I get the feeling that Hashino is a person who puts a lot of emphasis on the philosophical aspects of his games. Pretty much everything we heard about P5 so far was an explanation of the game's themes. P3 and P4 explore their respective themes and eventually, the protagonists confront and overcome the personifications of these themes. At their foundation, P3, P4 and most likely P5 (according to Hashino) are about freedom and if you can't get the freedom you want by yourself, your journey hasn't ended yet.

I know that this sounds like I'm thinking too much
again
, but that's the main reason why I believe that final boss of a Persona game cannot rely on a cross over like this.

Rubedo

I get the feeling that Hashino is a person who puts a lot of emphasis on the philosophical aspects of his games. Pretty much everything we heard about P5 so far was an explanation of the game's themes. P3 and P4 explore their respective themes and eventually, the protagonists confront and overcome the personifications of these themes. At their foundation, P3, P4 and most likely P5 (according to Hashino) are about freedom and if you can't get the freedom you want by yourself, your journey hasn't ended yet.

I know that this sounds like I'm thinking too much
again
, but that's the main reason why I believe that final boss of a Persona game cannot rely on a cross over like this.

Yeah I do get what you mean. I think it could work in a spin-off though. Because with Nyarly, it isn't like Yu facing the personification of luing to yourself or Minato facing death. Nyarlathtep has always been sorta the end-all be-all personification of all those vices put together. He is death, he is lying to yourself, he is all those things because he represents darkness of the human heart at its most basic level. He represents every single "bad" ideal the protagonists have all fought individually against which is why I think it would make sense for it to require every single protagonist to beat someone like him.

Because he is basically the Big Evil of Persona universe itself, above Nyx and Izanami and all others. He is evil incarnate.

Hello everyone, I'm kajigoddess, and I hope to post many fun and interesting things here. Some of you may have seen me in the IRC, but I only got my account approved yesterday. (Yes, I am the same kajigoddess behind the Persona X Detective Naoto fanfiction from earlier.)

I'm still fairly new to the Persona fandom, and I wouldn't be here if it weren't for a couple of seriously lucky incidents which have only motivated me to dive further into it. While attending last year's Comic-Con, I happened to meet the voice actresses behind Chie and Naoto (Erin Fitzgerald and Valerie Arem). It suffices to say that they were the reason I bought Persona Q.

I also attended Taiyou Con earlier this year, where the first Persona music concert in North America happened. Nothing else could really compare to the experience of waving a glowstick around and dancing wildly to the music... I wonder if anyone else here went...

Go ahead, ask me anything you please.

Welcome to the jungle!

2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

1) Mitsuru
2) Persona 3 FES
3) More Than One Heart (P3 Movie #1)
4) Can't decide..
5) This is hard... probably Alice
6) Empress (P3)
7) I love it

MudoSkills

If there's another Persona cast crossover I want to see (P3 spoilers)
Kanji using P3MC in door mode as a weapon

I will say that the Shadow Operatives was just a poor idea from a story perspective because it's something that should, logically, be present in every Persona game going forward but doing so would prevent the games from being their own thing so they won't and shouldn't. So excuses will have to constantly be thought up. But by and large Arena is just full of poor story ideas, so maybe that's not surprising.

Sophia

I will say that the Shadow Operatives was just a poor idea from a story perspective because it's something that should, logically, be present in every Persona game going forward but doing so would prevent the games from being their own thing so they won't and shouldn't. So excuses will have to constantly be thought up. But by and large Arena is just full of poor story ideas, so maybe that's not surprising.

The Shadow Operatives were one idea that I actually legitimately liked about Arena tho. Remember, we need not have the P3 cast to have the Shadow Operatives as an organization. There can be other new and original members.

Arena/P5 stuff:
Also, given that we appear to be playing anti-heroes this time, whose to say the Shadow Operatives won't be the antagonists in a way in Persona 5?

2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

Seeing as everyone else is doing this....

1) Aigis, duh!
2) Persona 3 FES
3) Tie between Memories of the City, Never More, and Living With Determination
4) Ugh, this is going to be a hard one to decide? Either (SERIES WIDE SPOILERS)
The ending to P3, Aigis getting her ultimate Persona, Nanako's "death", Labrys reading the letter from Unit #24, or Maya's death in IS. I just like tragic scenes in general...
5) Titania in Persona 3 FES. High Magic, good agility, high luck for critical hits with the bow, Mind charge, two ma-elemental spells, two resists, a party healing spell, and a boost for ice attacks. Doesn't get much better than that.
6) Surprisingly: Not Aigis's social link. Probably would have to give it to Shinjiro. Any of the FeMC exclusive ones are great tho.
7) Her outfit is as ridiculous as a real idol unit outfit. Glad the stars are gone from her eyes tho.

The Shadow Operatives were one idea that I actually legitimately liked about Arena tho. Remember, we need not have the P3 cast to have the Shadow Operatives as an organization. There can be other new and original members.

Arena/P5 stuff:
Also, given that we appear to be playing anti-heroes this time, whose to say the Shadow Operatives won't be the antagonists in a way in Persona 5?
I don't really want to see the Shadow Operatives, period, in any form. P5 should be its own thing and owe nothing to previous Persona games outside of Igor and the Personas.

Sophia

I don't really want to see the Shadow Operatives, period, in any form. P5 should be its own thing and owe nothing to previous Persona games outside of Igor and the Personas.

Maybe it's because I played EP and the like back in the day, but I'm not really opposed to having all these connecting elements. Especially because until Persona 4 they were pretty common.

As long as the game's main story can stand on it's own and you don't actually have to reference the previous games (like how Persona 2 did it), then I'm good with any cameos or cross-over elements.

Rubedo

That's what I mean by Shadow Operatives should logically know about all future supernatural events when they occur. They're like the SHIELD of Persona but I kinda like that. It's a nice way to tie the universe together and it wouldn't make since for SEES and the Kirijo Group to just give up on looking into things after P3.

I would agree they shouldn't be any major part but I don't think it's bad to have small appearances. I mean Tatsumi Port Island was in P4. I don't think they should be a major part of the plot or be there for very long or anything but I don't see any problem with them being in the game for a short bit in some form. It makes sense.

Maybe it's because I played EP and the like back in the day, but I'm not really opposed to having all these connecting elements. Especially because until Persona 4 they were pretty common.

As long as the game's main story can stand on it's own and you don't actually have to reference the previous games (like how Persona 2 did it), then I'm good with any cameos or cross-over elements.

These are my thoughts exactly. As a fan of the Persona 2 duology, I like all those connections too. And as long as the games can stand alone, I'm fine with them providing they make sense.

I compared Shadow Operatives to SHIELD above and that's kinda how I see it. The Marvel movies can easily stand alone but they have connecting threads leading to a bigger whole held together by SHIELD. I think it's fine to have standalone Persona stories with small allusions to the bigger whole and have the Shadow Operatives there to tie it all together.

That's where my idea about the protagonists from earlier was coming from. If Shadow Operatives are the SHIELD of the Persona universe, then that boss fight I described would be like the cool Avengers Assemble moment. But all the protagonists' stories in their original main games still stand perfectly fine alone. Having them meet to fight a different common enemy doesn't change that.

Weiss

Banned
If the Shadow Operatives do appear, I hope it's in a super miniscule fashion, like, maybe a single agent appearing.

If Shadow Operatives are the SHIELD of the Persona universe, then that boss fight I described would be like the cool Avengers Assemble moment. But all the protagonists' stories in their original main games still stand perfectly fine alone. Having them meet to fight a different common enemy doesn't change that.

Oh god... now I want it bad.

But fat chance of that happening unless Atlus decides to make a final Persona game.

FluxWaveZ

I'm on the side against the idea of Shadow Operative involvement in Persona 5. Outside of a (very) brief cameo, I don't want any of that touching P5. There will continue to be Persona spin-off games in the future; they'll have a place there, and any other wild, narrative experiment they want to try out as well. A mainline game isn't the place for that, to me, at least not with Persona 5.

The thing is, the nature of the Shadow Operatives prevents them from playing a small part without them being a throwaway cameo (which is what the P3 field trip in P4 amounts to). The very nature of the organization means they should dictate how the stories go in some manner, and for them to not essentially own the stories of Persona going forward requires unnecessary unanswered questions.

And I'm really not keen on the idea of Persona cribbing ideas from the Marvel movies, thank you. That kind of Avengers level fanservice is something I never want to see in a mainline Persona. It suits comic book movies, but that's not what Persona is. Maybe there is a potential story in the future that could require something like that, but I'm never not going to view that kind of fan pandering without considerable suspicion that it wasn't exactly done "for the art."

Rubedo

I'm on the side against the idea of Shadow Operative involvement in Persona 5. Outside of a (very) brief cameo, I don't want any of that touching P5. There will continue to be Persona spin-off games in the future; they'll have a place there, and any other wild, narrative experiment they want to try out as well. A mainline game isn't the place for that, to me, at least not with Persona 5.

Which is why I used the SHIELD analogy. You don't really see them getting involved with the individual plots of each entry (besides Captain America 2) beyond "Hmm it seems something weird is going on. Guess we'll look into it a bit." But they are the common ground of the universe.

Like I would be okay with a lone Shadow Operative agent (not neccesarily a P3 character but any agent) being in the city at one part in the game and he says something about what he's found by investigating the weirdness that leads to the main character knowing what to do next. Then the agent is out of the story. He wouldn't be a major part. He would just be there almost as a reminder that this is all one universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom