• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Shadow Operatives were one idea that I actually legitimately liked about Arena tho. Remember, we need not have the P3 cast to have the Shadow Operatives as an organization. There can be other new and original members.

Arena/P5 stuff:
Also, given that we appear to be playing anti-heroes this time, whose to say the Shadow Operatives won't be the antagonists in a way in Persona 5?

Seeing as everyone else is doing this....

1) Aigis, duh!
2) Persona 3 FES
3) Tie between Memories of the City, Never More, and Living With Determination
4) Ugh, this is going to be a hard one to decide? Either (SERIES WIDE SPOILERS)
The ending to P3, Aigis getting her ultimate Persona, Nanako's "death", Labrys reading the letter from Unit #24, or Maya's death in IS. I just like tragic scenes in general...
5) Titania in Persona 3 FES. High Magic, good agility, high luck for critical hits with the bow, Mind charge, two ma-elemental spells, two resists, a party healing spell, and a boost for ice attacks. Doesn't get much better than that.
6) Surprisingly: Not Aigis's social link. Probably would have to give it to Shinjiro. Any of the FeMC exclusive ones are great tho.
7) Her outfit is as ridiculous as a real idol unit outfit. Glad the stars are gone from her eyes tho.
I didn't think about a couple of these...kinda wanting to edit mine now...

1) Naoto, duh
2) Persona 4 Golden
3) question is so damn hard. I'll just go with The Seeker of Truth cuz Naoto
4) Valentine's day with Naoto, this is a big reason that the answer to number 1 exists
5) Kaguya
6) Naoto (Romance only, without romance its pretty weak)
7) She looks like a japanese version of a mcdonalds mascot

Meia

The problem with the idea of even shadow operatives being in something like Persona 5 is the question "Why aren't they helping then?" If it's like one operative, why would they be content to hang back and let the new generation do their thing if they have the power to help? This does lead to the next problem, in that if someone stronger or whatever does in fact help, doesn't it devalue the new group?

I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea that if the game has a moment(like the last few have had where you walk around after everything's done before credits) that then someone from the SO appears or something after just finding out, but then that makes them kind of look foolish too, so...

The only "legit" way to do a SO thing is having a game devoted to the organization, and we know(well, maybe) that Persona 5 isn't that. Personally I really hope P5 isn't that, and highly doubt it is. Of course, the idea of a "SO game" has it's own slew of problems, like who gets in/who gets snubbed by not being in, etc.

Rubedo

The problem with the idea of even shadow operatives being in something like Persona 5 is the question "Why aren't they helping then?" If it's like one operative, why would they be content to hang back and let the new generation do their thing if they have the power to help? This does lead to the next problem, in that if someone stronger or whatever does in fact help, doesn't it devalue the new group?

It could be that after Ultimax and seeing the P4 cast handle themselves, they are okay with letting new groups rise in power themselves.

And I actually have seen an idea for Persona PnP canpaign that functioned as a standalone RPG with its own social links and story yet still had Shadow Operatives mentioned and I think it did it pretty well.

Marche90

I don't know how I never realized this, but just today I realized that in the Persona Q main visual (the box art illustration) Yu is holding a map. How did I never realized it? ._.

1) What is your favorite persona character?
2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
4) favorite persona scene
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link
7) What are your thoughts on the Kanamin trailer?

1) Probably Rise
2) Persona 4
3) Can't decide a single one. Perhaps it's Kimi no Kiouku.
4) King's game
5) Izanagi-no-okami
6) Akinari's S.link
7) Neutral, but the graphics got me pretty hyped for it.

FluxWaveZ

They should announce the Persona 5 release date this month to keep up the tradition.

Which is why I used the SHIELD analogy. You don't really see them getting involved with the individual plots of each entry (besides Captain America 2) beyond "Hmm it seems something weird is going on. Guess we'll look into it a bit." But they are the common ground of the universe.

Like I would be okay with a lone Shadow Operative agent (not neccesarily a P3 character but any agent) being in the city at one part in the game and he says something about what he's found by investigating the weirdness that leads to the main character knowing what to do next. Then the agent is out of the story. He wouldn't be a major part. He would just be there almost as a reminder that this is all one universe.

Eh, reading this, I might not even be into a minor cameo from the Shadow Operatives at all, because that sounds completely pointless. I like the concept in Arena but, again, it's something I want sticking to the spin-offs, and especially not touching Persona 5.

Rubedo

They should announce the Persona 5 release date this month to keep up the tradition.

Eh, reading this, I might not even be into a minor cameo from the Shadow Operatives at all, because that sounds completely pointless. I like the concept in Arena but, again, it's something I want sticking to the spin-offs, and especially not touching Persona 5.

Yeah. Well I said I'd be "okay with" it. I don't neccesarily want Shadow Operatives in P5. But if they had to be in it that's how I'd be ok with it.

Most of the Shadow Operatives/Protagonists teaming up thing I'm speaking of aren't what I want in P5. Just a spin-off.

I'd be ok to have Shadow Operatives in P5. Speaking for myself, I want a Persona integrated universe including every entry of it.

I agree but to an extent. I like the integrated universe but the P5 cast and themes need their time to shine so a plot centered around the Shadow Operatives wouldn't work. I think bits and pieces of links the rest of the universe would though.

However, I think there is a lot of ideas with the Shadow Operatives and briding the older Persona games to the new ones that are cool but I'd like to see them in a side-story RPG of sorts rather than Persona 5. That way we get the intergrated universe but P5 can have its own thing too.

Agreed.

Rubedo

I'd be ok to have Shadow Operatives in P5. Speaking for myself, I want a Persona integrated universe including every entry of it.

I agree but to an extent. I like the integrated universe but the P5 cast and themes need their time to shine so a plot centered around the Shadow Operatives wouldn't work. I think bits and pieces of links the rest of the universe would though.

However, I think there is a lot of ideas with the Shadow Operatives and bridging the older Persona games to the new ones that are cool but I'd like to see them in a side-story RPG of sorts rather than Persona 5. That way we get the intergrated universe but P5 can have its own thing too.

I really hope they don't have the shadow operatives in the game even as a small cameo, the shadow operatives feels like something so big that it would be better suited for it's own game so it wouldn't work to well as a cameo and would likely overshadow the P5 characters if the shadow operatives were heavily involved in the story. Also if they end up involved in P5 I feel like Atlus back themselves into a corner as they either have to use them again in P6 or give an explanation as to why they wouldn't be involved in whatever events happen in P6.

Keep the mainline games as their own thing and make the spinoffs your big crossover games, I think it gives Atlus more freedom to do what they want in the mainline games without having to worry too much about the overall Persona universe. Also the cameo in P5 should be Dojima being brought in as a police consultant as he's dealt with a mysterious case before.
We need more Dojima.

Rubedo

I really hope they don't have the shadow operatives in the game even as a small cameo, the shadow operatives feels like something so big that it would be better suited for it's own game so it wouldn't work to well as a cameo and would likely overshadow the P5 characters if the shadow operatives were heavily involved in the story. Also if they end up involved in P5 I feel like Atlus back themselves into a corner as they either have to use them again in P6 or give an explanation as to why they wouldn't be involved in whatever events happen in P6.

Keep the mainline games as their own thing and make the spinoffs your big crossover games, I think it gives Atlus more freedom to do what they want in the mainline games without having to worry too much about the overall Persona universe. Also the cameo in P5 should be Dojima being brought in as a police consultant as he's dealt with a mysterious case before.
We need more Dojima.

Dojima's just a small town cop though. I'd think it'd be Naoto if anyone. She seems to like looking around for new cases to pry into.

PK Gaming

I'm on the side against the idea of Shadow Operative involvement in Persona 5. Outside of a (very) brief cameo, I don't want any of that touching P5. There will continue to be Persona spin-off games in the future; they'll have a place there, and any other wild, narrative experiment they want to try out as well. A mainline game isn't the place for that, to me, at least not with Persona 5.

This is how I feel. I didn't mind the Shadow Operatives in Persona 4 Arena, but I definitely don't want them to appear in a mainline Persona game. Ignoring the fact that their presence would cause them to share the spotlight with the Persona 5 protagonists, Persona has always been about a small group of individuals fighting against a large unseen force. The Shadow Operatives conceptually flies in the face of that. I really don't like the idea of Aigis and a dozen other Persona users can potentially show up. At the end of the day, the Shadow Operatives are a goofy concept. Acceptable in a spinoff type game like Persona 4 Arena, but completely out of place in a game like Persona 5.

Tamanon

Banned
Meh, I'm alright with no cameos whatsoever. The maximum I think you can do without really pandering is throwing Tanaka in there.

Rubedo

Meh, I'm alright with no cameos whatsoever. The maximum I think you can do without really pandering is throwing Tanaka in there.

There's been way more cameos in every single game than that though.

Persona 1 and 2 have a lot of common stuff. Persona 3 has references to characters from the first two games (Maya, Tatsuya, Trish, Nanjo Group, etc). Persona 4 has the trip to Tatsumi Port Island which is pretty pandering.

I don't think a cameo on those levels would be anything new for the series.

FluxWaveZ

What tradition? The time between the first reveal and the release date announcement?

Mostly being facetious, but release date announcements for the following:

1. Persona 1 (PC) (March 21, 1999)
2. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (March 4, 2000)
3. Persona 3 (March 8, 2006)
4. Persona 4 (March 18, 2008)

...were made in the March of the respective years they were released in.

Rubedo

The one example of blending SO/spin-off stuff into an independent story with its own characters I've seen is that Persona PnP campaign I mentioned. I like it because it bridges together the events of Persona 2 to the newer games and ties in the stuff from the spin-offs while still giving its new cast the focus.

Basically, it goes under the premise that instead of the Shadow Operatives stepping into everything, they have this Junior Division (think SEES 2.0) made up of high schoolers in whichever areas get hit with weird supernatural happenings.

The game itself takes place on an island city of Japan known for being one of the most progressive hubs of science and technology in the world. You still play a new student visiting there for high school just like all the modern Persona games and get wrapped up in the Junior Division's stuff since you have the Wild Card. The game focuses a lot on themes of how technology affects human psychology (both positive and negative) as well as duality. Personas are summoned from an Evoker.exe app on your smartphone. It has the texting mechanic from Catherine that plays into the Social Links. It has a mechanic dealing with Reverse Personas and Reverse Links. Basically all the characters, party members, and Social Links are completely unique to that game and that city. The Shadow Operatives themselves don't really get involved at all other than you being able to order your weapons and armor from them over an app on your smartphone. Other than that, they aren't really important to the story.

So I definitely think it's doable to have to SO referenced in a spin-off RPG of sorts rather than a numbered title like P5. It just has to be done in a way that doesn't cover up the spotlight of the primary characters.

2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

1) Tie between Yosuke and Kanji, both are awesome characters
2) Persona 4 Golden
3) Memories of the School, School Days, New Days,
and all the rest
4) Yosuke's, Kanji's and Yu's first trip to Okina City on scooters
5) Kaguya
6) Kenji's in Persona 3
7) Not a big fan her design but i'm sure I'll warm up to her

Tamanon

Banned
2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

1) Junpei still, but I hope we find some good ones in P5.
2) Persona 4 still, just because everything flows so nicely
3) Never More - PERFECTLY matched the credits and the feeling of finishing Persona 4
4) P4 big-ass spoilers.
Nanako's death, just because it was so impacting, and my first time through, she didn't come back to life.
5) Surt, he's just badass
6) I liked the Rise one in P4, because I like her as a character and thought it was a good journey.
7) Honestly haven't watched it yet!

Meia

They said this day would never come, the day someone liked Kenji's social link.

This really cannot be possible. :p

I was going to say that Kenji is the only character I've heard of that gets progressively worse every time they revisit him(P3P made him 100x worse), but then Akihiko exists...

Gazoinks

This really cannot be possible. :p

I was going to say that Kenji is the only character I've heard of that gets progressively worse every time they revisit him(P3P made him 100x worse), but then Akihiko exists...

Oh god, going into P3P I thought I was going to be rid of Kenji, but he just kept showing up! He's a like a really embarrassing rash.

Meia

To be a bit nicer, the Kenji ribbing is in jest, though I am curious to wonder why he would be a favorite. This may be among one of the most unique opinions I've seen when it comes to the series.

Rubedo

To be a bit nicer, the Kenji ribbing is in jest, though I am curious to wonder why he would be a favorite. This may be among one of the most unique opinions I've seen when it comes to the series.

It's possible they don't neccesarily like it for the character of Kenji himself but like the link because they find the situation he goes through humorous. That's all I can figure.

Guys, how about we just let someone have their own opinion without constant comments like "I can't believe someone would say that." There's no reason for it, much less half a page of it.

Guys, how about we just let someone have their own opinion without constant comments like "I can't believe someone would say that." There's no reason for it, much less half a page of it.

Nothing wrong with holding an opinion, obviously there's some light ribbing but I'm actually curious why the person holds that opinion.

Makio

Is the same saying you dont hate Marie or you actually enjoy it Persona Trinity Soul or Persona 4 The Golden Animation.
Unpopular and weird opinions that makes people wonder

Ayane Komatsubara is a great and Tritiny Soul is fun to watch.... XD

Sophia

Is the same saying you dont hate Marie or you actually enjoy it Persona Trinity Soul or Persona 4 The Golden Animation.
Unpopular and weird opinions that makes people wonder

Ayane Komatsubara is a great and Tritiny Soul is fun to watch.... XD

I actually enjoy parts of Trinity Soul. It has a good cast and interesting story premise. Just the execution falls flat.

Rubedo

I actually enjoy parts of Trinity Soul. It has a good cast and interesting story premise. Just the execution falls flat.

I like the concept of stealing Personas and the people being turned inside out.

And I don't hate Marie. I guess I committed double heresy in one post.

TWILT

Banned
2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

1) Yu, Yosuke or Yukiko. Basically the Y name main characters in P4 lol. If I had to pick though, Yosuke.
2) Persona 4 Golden
3) The Almighty or Mist
4) I'll go with *Major endgame P4 spoilers*
when everyone cheers you on, bringing you back from defeat against Izanami and awakening Izanagi-no-okami
5) The Izanagis
6) Hmm, I'll go with Yosuke's or Kou's.
7) No strong feelings one way or the other.

2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

1) Naoto
2) Persona 4/Golden
3) Whatever the song is that plays during the opening of P3 FES
4) Yu goes to see
Adachi alone
5) Thor
6) Persona 3 Sun The Dying Man
7) Doesn't look like a Persona character at all

Makio

I like the concept of stealing Personas and the people being turned inside out.

And I don't hate Marie. I guess I committed double heresy in one post.

Persona Tritiny Soul is great , like Sophia says the story is great but the execution poorly handled.

Episode 23
Cry like a baby when they kill Morimoto , Persona 3 kind of Feels right there...

Had a great cast and likeable characthers.

And hey Marie is like my third favorite Persona 4 girl (over Chie & Naoto) so yeah double heresy for me and come to me Chie & Naoto fanboys....

Still dont like P4GA that much. But
Adachi
episodes are great mostly the final OVA.

CorvoSol

If those parts aren't Dick Park, Shadow Pulling, and the hilarious robot slut shaming episode then I dunno.

I can't judge whether things were executed properly or whether it had good ideas or not because it was just so damn obtuse most of the time.

Sophia

If those parts aren't Dick Park, Shadow Pulling, and the hilarious robot slut shaming episode then I dunno.

I can't judge whether things were executed properly or whether it had good ideas or not because it was just so damn obtuse most of the time.

Well, I'd consider things being so obtuse to be a problem with the execution myself. :p

CorvoSol

Well, I'd consider things being so obtuse to be a problem with the execution myself. :p

but what if that was intentional

I can't even know

I feel like I should really find out what all that means but I don't feel like watching through the episodes to figure it out.

Dick Park is unforgettable. Shadow Pulling is Life. Robot Shaming is what happens every time someone says they don't want yet another Robot Girl in a Persona Game.

Sophia

I feel like I should really find out what all that means but I don't feel like watching through the episodes to figure it out.

Shadow Pulling is pretty much what it sounds like. It's people literally pulling out their Shadows for a good feeling. It's also pretty much a hilariously unfortunate metaphor for drugs, sex, and whathaveyou. :p

Rubedo

Shadow Pulling is pretty much what it sounds like. It's people literally pulling out their Shadows for a good feeling. It's also pretty much a hilariously unfortunate metaphor for drugs, sex, and whathaveyou. :p

Ah just read the wiki article on it. Kinda contradicts the fact that summoning a Persona is supposed to be stressful, not a good feeling. But Trinity Soul also says adults lose their affinity for using Personas so I guess it's non-canon for a reason.

Like I said, I liked the idea of stealing Personas from people and having that turn their bodies inside out. Everything else seems pretty mediocre from what I've read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom