• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have an issue with realism, and I don't think Persona falls under that category 'cos of the art-style.

My main gripe with that image is the lack of variety on the right side. It does look more dull than the left, regardless of 'realistic characters are better'.

When it comes to character/enemy/summon/whatever designs, I have to agree here, although to me its not so much about realism rather than simplicity.

I suppose the best way of putting it is that I like simplicity but not TOO simplistic. Thats why the Persona characters are all really good designs to me, because they are just people in their normal clothes.

I dont like it when games go out of their way to make their characters look "cool" because then you get something that looks like Tidus and Wakka from FFX, and while I like those characters, they look dumb. Especially when you compare them to Yuna and Rikku who look GREAT, because they are simple.

Now, I understand when an entire game is made up of oddballs that the designs have to get a little creative (looking at you FF9 and Danganronpa), and in those cases I accept it, but again the simpler characters will always be my favourites (Beatrix, Freya and Vivi from FF9 and Aoi, Byakuya and Kyoko from DR being my favourites amongst those casts).

Dont get me wrong, just because I like a character design, doesnt mean I always like the character, and vice versa. Raiden from Revengeance looks like complete garbage to me with all that robot shit on him (I know its necessary, bare with me), but damn if I dont just love Jack the Ripper! And likewise, I think Lightning from FF13 has a great look, but fucking hell is that a bad character.

The same goes for animal/creature and enemy designs too, I would take a Koromaru or Red XIII any day over fucking Quina. For enemies, give me something imposing but simple like Avenger Knight from P4 rather than that stupid fucking Dinosaur boss from RE6. Same goes for summons as well, Bravely Default has AMAZING summons (albeit with dumb names), Hresvelgr being my favourite. Compare that to Pandemona from FF8 and you can see a clear winner. PS Alexander is my Favourite summon in FF games.

I think I made my point, or at least I hope I did.

quoting so it doesn't get lost at bottom of page.

Dantis

My main gripe with that image is the lack of variety on the right side. It does look more dull than the left, regardless of 'realistic characters are better'.

But that's looking at the image as a whole, and has no bearing on the actual designs themselves whatsoever.

But that's looking at the image as a whole, and has no bearing on the actual designs themselves whatsoever.

Isn't that partially the point? The original comment did include "The entire right side is full of realistic looking people, and characters like Kat and Korra stick out like a sore thumb." To be clear, what I'm saying is regardless of the 'evolution' of character design, they could have picked more colourful characters.

Dantis

Isn't that partially the point? The original comment did include "The entire right side is full of realistic looking people, and characters like Kat and Korra stick out like a sore thumb." To be clear, what I'm saying is regardless of the 'evolution' of character design, they could have picked more colourful characters.

What really matters the most is that the author of that picture didn't use official art for Chie. Or even fanart that looked like official art. Or even good fanart.

DNAbro

Gah finally completed the
music room door
request. What an awful group of enemies to fight.
3 OF THOSE DAMN WIND CORROSION MAGES?! Had to get all of my fastest characters to even have a chance against them.

3rd labyrinth , 1st floor spoilers

Instead of studying for finals, I have finished the P4 story in Persona Q after being on the final labyrinth for half a month. 10/10, would play again, but I have other games in my backlog to finish up.

When's Persona 5
:V

It's only been out half a month.

Yes it has, and I pretty much got in 40 hours on the first week alone - at which point I put it down before I burnt myself out.

Meia

Gah finally completed the
music room door
request. What an awful group of enemies to fight.
3 OF THOSE DAMN WIND CORROSION MAGES?! Had to get all of my fastest characters to even have a chance against them.

3rd labyrinth , 1st floor spoilers

Fight was ridiculous. Only Yu having an item that has a medium chance of negating any wind attack kept him as the only one alive at the end of the fight(he stayed alive for like 20 of those attacks, impressive considering he's weak to wind too).

Switching to Naoto has certainly helped in the dungeon, but she's still so underleveled that she's not fast enough for the enemies yet. Did get my first ever game over on Hard on the second floor with a fight with
two of those mages + one of the rainy pots. Magurula + Mazionga spam for DAYS(and Naoto rarely missing Mahama).
I have Naoto as my status effect character, but I really need to throw on some circle spells for her too to bind some of that stuff. Right now she just has access to sleep and poison(come to think of it, if I had used the aoe sleep(also has impure reach on) that fight may have went very differently. Damn.

PK Gaming

Switching to Naoto has certainly helped in the dungeon, but she's still so underleveled that she's not fast enough for the enemies yet. Did get my first ever game over on Hard on the second floor with a fight with
two of those mages + one of the rainy pots. Magurula + Mazionga spam for DAYS(and Naoto rarely missing Mahama).
I have Naoto as my status effect character, but I really need to throw on some circle spells for her too to bind some of that stuff. Right now she just has access to sleep and poison(come to think of it, if I had used the aoe sleep(also has impure reach on) that fight may have went very differently. Damn.

Don't switch over to the dark side already!

Elizabeth: "Hey go kill this enemy back in Wonderland."

Does not mention Golden Beetle is way tough.

Dies.
I straight rekt this guy. Semi spoilers for the fight I guess:
P4MC has Kaguya sub-persona. Boost from zio attack on the first turn. Use free Lunar Blessing to null all attacks for the party for 3 turns. Proceed to wreck shop. Rinse and repeat.
The Golden God.

FluxWaveZ

Chances of P4A2 receiving a PS4/XB1 port? I really don't feel like playing the ps3 anymore.

Now that BBCPEX is coming out on the PS4 and even the Xbox One, I wouldn't be surprised. But that game's 2.00 has more justification for an update like that than P4AU's 2.00 because of more content, so unless P4AU ver. 2.00 has hidden surprises to reveal in January, I'm not convinced it'll happen.

Busaiku

Dunno why you think it'll be just a patch.
There are system/HUD changes for the Shadows, it'll be easy for Sega/ArcSys to justify a new release.

Maybe they'll throw in Theo or something.

FluxWaveZ

Dunno why you think it'll be just a patch.
There are system changes for the Shadows, it'll be easy for Sega/ArcSys to justify a new release.

Maybe they'll throw in Theo or something.

System changes are not enough to justify a new release. Can you give even one example of a fighting game iteration that had a new release based on that?

Like I said, if there's something else with P4AU ver. 2.00 than those balance changes and modifications to the way Shadows work, like a new character, a new version could become likelier, but as it stands now, there is nothing to justify a new release, at least on the PS3 and 360 again.

FluxWaveZ

#Reload, Accent Core, +R

I'll give you #Reload, but Accent Core had more significant additions made to it like new modes and, apparently, the return of two more characters to the roster. +R was GG's release on platforms that the game previously wasn't released on, like the Vita, the 360 and the PS3.

In any case, the circumstances are evidently rare, and it's a different environment now compared to a decade ago. There wouldn't be enough to justify a P4AU re-release on the PS3/360 for today's audience, and I could only see it potentially happening on the PS4/XB1 if ver. 2.00 is only comprised of system changes.

Busaiku

I'll give you #Reload, but Accent Core had more significant additions made to it like new modes and, apparently, the return of two more characters to the roster.

That was Accent Core+.

I dunno if Sega'll release a new Persona 4 Arena game, but I'd say it's more likely that either it's released as a new game, or not at all (on PS3).

FluxWaveZ

That was Accent Core+.

I dunno if Sega'll release a new Persona 4 Arena game, but I'd say it's more likely that either it's released as a new game, or not at all (on PS3).

Oh yeah, you're right. Though, from everything I'm reading, this all sounds like more content regardless, with new music, new VA, new mechanics, etc.

What's so significant about P4AU's 2.00 that they wouldn't just release it as a free patch? The only changes are the stuff regarding Shadows, individual character changes and some changes to fundamental mechanics. There's literally no added content other than the HUD has now changed from teal to purple.

They're adding "Burst" icons Shadows.
I'm not saying a new release will be justified, but this is ArcSys/Sega, it's how they'll justify it.

Uh, there's that too, I guess.

I think there's a limit to how much they can justify it, because people simply are not going to buy the game again for what 2.00 offers, and it's not like they're constantly screwing the consumer over (P4AU allowed people to transfer DLC from P4A to P4AU, for example).

If there's no significant content additions, I definitely think they'll release it as a patch for the PS3.

Busaiku

They're adding "Burst" icons to Shadows.
I'm not saying a new release will be justified, but this is ArcSys/Sega, it's how they'll justify it.

Kanra

I think this picture accurately describes my feelings right about now

tumblr_n5wh8d3OWp1snk2f6o5_500.jpg

Busaiku

Flavored animal crackers just don't feel right to me.
I know "animal crackers" aren't necessarily supposed to have a distinct flavor, but I always assigned them my own flavor.

Nimby

Banned
I don't mean this as an attack at you personally, but man, comments like this make me so mad.

Offense taken. No I understand, people did put work into those designs, I'm not trying to validfy a certain set over the other, just my opinion. A realistic design can be appealing, but what the hell is appealling about Destiny dude #3?

Edit: sorry about bringing this up again, people's gotta sleep lol

I feel that that will add at least 20 more hours to the game. At this rate, I'll be finishing PQ the week Persona 5 comes out.

It doesn't really add that much.
I just use 1 party to clear 1 floor, then another party to clear another.

I find the Growth accessories really help too, especially once Theo starts selling them. If you buy one set for your reserve team, it can do wonders to stop them from falling too far behind while you take a different team into the dungeon.

Meia

Don't switch over to the dark side already!

Hey, I'll use any tools at my disposal, EO4 taught me that much. It's not too different than a Nightseeker/Arc sub, as ailments almost always land and annihilate when they do. I actually think it's a fairly good fit for a character like Naoto, who is very close to her Vanilla set of skills and would suffer on bosses without something like ailments. :D

Though honestly, going through dungeons mahama'ing everything feels like cheating as is. :p

Had wanted to use both Yukiko/Yukari in the same party, but I don't want to have the same team mates twice in different playthroughs, so wasn't going to miss the Yukari/Junpei banter. Was hard to figure out what to do exactly with two healers too, especially since magic is all kinds of weaksauce in the game if you can't smack a weakness. They really needed to add the idea of spells critting for any kind of parity in the game, or some kind of ability like the Runemaster's "free TP spell" talent.

FluxWaveZ

Finally got it:
So, because there had been a lack of interesting scans/pics after the initial Ken and Koromaru ones (plus Sho), I had thought there might not be much else of note in here regarding concepts, but boy was that wrong. They planned for some crazy shit in this game, before settling down a bit.

pan-hime posted a sample version of this on her Twitter, but there was actually a concept design for Ken with Koromaru dog ears and a tail. Interestingly, there's nothing much for Yukari, but Junpei had some crazy ish going on; four entire pages of beta designs for him. There's one where he drives around in a car and, to fight, the car transforms into a mech suit. Originally, it seems like Junpei might have actually been designed to be nothing less than a complete badass. A lot of his concepts have him looking like some sort of yakuza dude, with sunglasses, the hair, his poses and the superior/menacing smirk. His clothes were also of that sort, wearing expensive looking black suits and fashion accessories. Even one of his concept's weapon is an Eikichi style suitcase which is actually a guise for a machine gun.

Junpei's got a bunch of other ones, like a baseball bat that transforms into a rocket that Junpei rides on, or with him looking like a rock star complete with a guitar, alongside Chidori who is side eyeing him.

There's a cool design of Mitsuru in "normal" clothing
kind of like she's in at the end of P4AU
(P4AU spoilers), but drawn with her rapier. It makes me want an Xrd style P4A game with a bunch of alternate outfits.

Setsu00

Finally got it:

So, because there had been a lack of interesting scans/pics after the initial Ken and Koromaru ones (plus Sho), I had thought there might not be much else of note in here regarding concepts, but boy was that wrong. They planned for some crazy shit in this game, before settling down a bit.

pan-hime posted a sample version of this on her Twitter, but there was actually a concept design for Ken with Koromaru dog ears and a tail. Interestingly, there's nothing much for Yukari, but Junpei had some crazy ish going on; four entire pages of beta designs for him. There's one where he drives around in a car and, to fight, the car transforms into a mech suit. Originally, it seems like Junpei might have actually been designed to be nothing less than a complete badass. A lot of his concepts have him looking like some sort of yakuza dude, with sunglasses, the hair, his poses and the superior/menacing smirk. His clothes were also of that sort, wearing expensive looking black suits and fashion accessories. Even one of his concept's weapon is an Eikichi style suitcase which is actually a guise for a machine gun.

Junpei's got a bunch of other ones, like a baseball bat that transforms into a rocket that Junpei rides on, or with him looking like a rock star complete with a guitar, alongside Chihiro who is side eyeing him.

There's a cool design of Mitsuru in "normal" clothing
kind of like she's in at the end of P4AU
(P4AU spoilers), but drawn with her rapier. It makes me want an Xrd style P4A game with a bunch of alternate outfits.

Can you confirm that there is a lot more Soejima art in this one than in the first Arena artbook?

FluxWaveZ

Can you confirm that there is a lot more Soejima art in this one than in the first Arena artbook?

Assuming he's the one responsible for all of the concept art and final design art, then yeah. There are a whole lot more illustrations in here, in general.

Interestingly, despite this art book being 64 pages longer than the P4A art book (239 pages total), there's actually no interview section at all. The only block of text in this whole thing are a couple of pargraphs at the very end of the book in a short message which probably says something that's essentially: "Thanks for your support." There's nothing else, so importing this was actually a "smart" thing for me to do this time since there isn't anything I'm missing other than the arrows pointing to a concept design to explain something about it, just like in the first P4A art book.

Meia

I don't know which Junpei I want more: Rocketbat riding Junpei, Yakuza Junpei with mecha car(should be the motorcycle robot from the naoto novel :D ), or rockstar Junpei with a Chihiro groupie. I want ALL of them...

Dantis

Think I'll order the PQ and Ultimax art books soon. Might be wise to wait until after Christmas so they don't get lost in the post, though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom